PDA

View Full Version : San Angelo Water Situation

bwdlionfan
07-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Anyone on here live and get their water from the city of San Angelo? I just saw an article stating that O.C. Fisher Reservoir has dried up. I got curious and looked up what all lakes the city of San Angelo gets their water from and I found they use: O.C. Fisher (0% full), E.V. Spence (0% full), Twin Buttes (4.9% full), and O.H. Ivie (24% full). I wonder what their plan of action is as they are obviously going to have to pump more from Ivie and drain it faster now. Plus Ivie also supplies Abilene and some other cities. It is my understanding that Spence has never actually filled up all the way, but it has had a lot of water in it and if it ever did fill up it would be a very large lake. Hords Creek Lake (a very small lake in Coleman County) is also dry. Lake Brownwood, Lake Coleman, and Lake Proctor have all dropped in the 46%-48% range.

RoyceTTU
07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Anyone on here live and get their water from the city of San Angelo? I just saw an article stating that O.C. Fisher Reservoir has dried up. I got curious and looked up what all lakes the city of San Angelo gets their water from and I found they use: O.C. Fisher (0% full), E.V. Spence (0% full), Twin Buttes (4.9% full), and O.H. Ivie (24% full). I wonder what their plan of action is as they are obviously going to have to pump more from Ivie and drain it faster now. Plus Ivie also supplies Abilene and some other cities. It is my understanding that Spence has never actually filled up all the way, but it has had a lot of water in it and if it ever did fill up it would be a very large lake. Hords Creek Lake (a very small lake in Coleman County) is also dry. Lake Brownwood, Lake Coleman, and Lake Proctor have all dropped in the 46%-48% range.

What about Lake NastyWater,,,,i mean nasworthy

Trashman
07-08-2011, 07:55 AM
it is my understanding that the CRMWD, which supplies water to all those cities has been supplementing the lake water with well water from well fields, located in the panhandle.

BEAST
07-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Thats is correct. There is currently a job being bid to get some massive pumps and get to large pools of underground water. Guys this crap is getting very serious. The City of Robert Lee currently has no water supply, none. I work in the Waterworks Industry. People have got to take this much more serious. Conserve the water now.

BEAST

bwdlionfan
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Thats is correct. There is currently a job being bid to get some massive pumps and get to large pools of underground water. Guys this crap is getting very serious. The City of Robert Lee currently has no water supply, none. I work in the Waterworks Industry. People have got to take this much more serious. Conserve the water now.

BEAST

Beast I didn't know you worked with water works. Do you happen to work for Brown County Water District? If so, I don't know how many people know this, but the Trinity Aquifer actually extends underneath northern and eastern Brown County (pretty much under May and down to Blanket). This is where Stephenville gets their water from. If we go this fall with no rain, Brown County may have to start digging wells themselves next year. Is Robert Lee importing bottled water? What do they do about baths?

I saw where Llano is down to about 3 months of water supply left. They have begun drilling wells.

bwdlionfan
07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
What about Lake NastyWater,,,,i mean nasworthy

Royce I couldn't find Nasworthy on this page from the USGS. Here is a listing of the lakes they monitor though:

http://wiid.twdb.state.tx.us/ims/resinfo/BushButton/lakeStatus.asp

MGAR
07-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Nice list..

Martin Lake in Tatum is super low.. They are in the process of getting water from the Sabine River so the power plant can operate.

Ernest T Bass
07-08-2011, 11:28 AM
My understanding is that this isn't the first time these lakes have gone dry.

bwdlionfan
07-08-2011, 11:51 AM
My understanding is that this isn't the first time these lakes have gone dry.

I read that OC Fisher went dry back in 1970 or somewhere around there. Spence has never filled up but I don't think it's ever been dry before either. I'm not sure if Twin Buttes (the one that is 4.9% full) has ever been dry before or not.

I heard last night that there is a 40% chance of one of the tropical waves that's currently in the Carribean developing and heading toward Texas. I've got my fingers crossed.

BEAST
07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Beast I didn't know you worked with water works. Do you happen to work for Brown County Water District? If so, I don't know how many people know this, but the Trinity Aquifer actually extends underneath northern and eastern Brown County (pretty much under May and down to Blanket). This is where Stephenville gets their water from. If we go this fall with no rain, Brown County may have to start digging wells themselves next year. Is Robert Lee importing bottled water? What do they do about baths?

I saw where Llano is down to about 3 months of water supply left. They have begun drilling wells.

No, I own Big Country Waterworks. I provide all the products for repair or new installation of water/sewer lines. Fire hydrants, valves you name it. Robert Lee is (was) a customer of mine. People have got to take the drought seriously.

BEAST

BILLYFRED0000
07-08-2011, 11:58 AM
No, I own Big Country Waterworks. I provide all the products for repair or new installation of water/sewer lines. Fire hydrants, valves you name it. Robert Lee is (was) a customer of mine. People have got to take the drought seriously.

BEAST

They do down there believe me. I am from Bronte and we get most of our water from Oak Creek. Spence never got to half full. They botched that mess. And they put part of it over an old salt dome. Water tastes worse than nasty. Several of my friends own ranches down there and we all know the problem. That is one tough area to live in because the water can be scarce for long periods of time. the yearly average is around 20 inches and it does not take much of a drought to clear that off.

BILLYFRED0000
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
The lakes from bronte Sweetwater Abilene triangle are about 48 percent. They can hold out a little while but west and south is just bone dry. We have been praying for rain down there for a long time.

upper20
07-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Royce I couldn't find Nasworthy on this page from the USGS. Here is a listing of the lakes they monitor though:

http://wiid.twdb.state.tx.us/ims/resinfo/BushButton/lakeStatus.asp

Nasworthy is theoretically constant level. It is downstream from Twin Buttes, so will continue to be until Twin Buttes goes dry

Eagle 1
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
People have got to take the drought seriously.

BEAST

I agree. Our reservoir's in Goldthwaite are down to 50%. Our main water supply comes from the Colorado River when it is running and two small wells. Right now water conservation is on a volunteer basis, but I hate it when I see people around town watering their yards and not taking this serious.
I have a well that is over 400 hundred feet deep and I still worry it may dry up someday.
I pray for rain daily.

sinfan75
07-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Sinton is dependent on well water. We're good for 50 years if it never rains. Artesian well water is as ya get!