PDA

View Full Version : Another man falls at Ranger game. Brownwood native...

coach
07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6747510

95mustang
07-07-2011, 10:06 PM
This is a friend of mine. Please keep his family and his fire fighter brothers in your prayers during this time.

Matthew328
07-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Wow really sad all the way around...prayers to that guy's family and to Josh Hamilton..he's got to feel awful

Roughneck93
07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
How tragic! My condolences to his family and friends. God bless and rest in peace.

bobcat1
07-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Prayers to his family. Sad

bwdlionfan
07-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I don't know him, but that one really hits home. I was just at the game on Tuesday and was noticing how low the rails were and thinking I was surprised they didn't raise the rails up after the incident last year. Prayers out to him, his family, and Josh Hamilton. Very sad ordeal.

hollywood
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Wow, just saw this on the news. Prayers are with his family, friends, J. Hamilton, and the Rangers.

Old LB
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Known this guy for 20 years, speechless, prayers for his wife and son. :crying:

95mustang
07-07-2011, 10:47 PM

I'm feeling the same right now. I haven't known him that long, but have worked side by side with him alot in the last 9 years.

Txbroadcaster
07-07-2011, 11:35 PM
I don't know him, but that one really hits home. I was just at the game on Tuesday and was noticing how low the rails were and thinking I was surprised they didn't raise the rails up after the incident last year. Prayers out to him, his family, and Josh Hamilton. Very sad ordeal.

they did raise them from 30.5 inches to 46 inches after they giuy fell last year..at some point they will either have to make them 7 feet tall or fans have to understand what might happen if they reach to far over

pirate4state
07-07-2011, 11:40 PM

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. Prayers to his family & friends.

bwdlionfan
07-07-2011, 11:42 PM
they did raise them from 30.5 inches to 46 inches after they giuy fell last year..at some point they will either have to make them 7 feet tall or fans have to understand what might happen if they reach to far over

I think you're thinking of when they raised them back in 94. There have been 3 people fall over the rails there, one in 94, one in 2010, and one tonight. I read earlier they raised the rails after the incident in 94, and I think the numbers I read match the ones you just posted.

bwdlionfan
07-08-2011, 12:02 AM
http://www.brownwoodtx.com/sports/article_fbaef9b2-a91d-11e0-999d-001cc4c002e0.html

Txbroadcaster
07-08-2011, 12:52 AM
I think you're thinking of when they raised them back in 94. There have been 3 people fall over the rails there, one in 94, one in 2010, and one tonight. I read earlier they raised the rails after the incident in 94, and I think the numbers I read match the ones you just posted.
yea..read two different things

orange machine
07-08-2011, 01:38 AM
This just flat out sucks anyway you slice it I feel so bad for that little boy prayers for the family and all who know this Hero!!!!!

RoyceTTU
07-08-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm feeling the same right now. I haven't known him that long, but have worked side by side with him alot in the last 9 years.

I've known Shannon off and on for many years. His wife works with my wife currently and are close. This is very sad. He is about as good a guy as I've met.

I still remember after 9-11, we were all having some drinks and he pops up and says I'm going to NY to volunteer. I'll be danged if he wasn't on his way by the weekend. Such a giving soul. Prayers to his family and the entire Ranger Organization. Sad indeed :crying:

injuredinmelee
07-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Terrible. Prayers for his family.

Looking4number8
07-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't personally know Mr. Stone but my brother is a 28 year verteran of the fire department here and knew him well. All I have heard is what a good person he was. I pray for his family and especially his son who was at the game with him

LionKing
07-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Met him once a few years ago, and seen him around a lot, prayers to his family......

Bosqueville
07-08-2011, 08:27 AM
There are no words. Just sadness...

Sville
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
I have been in the fire service for 16 years as a firefighter and now fire marshal. I didn't personally know Mr. Stone but I know several of the other guys at BFD. My heart felt condolences go out to Shannon Stone's family at home and the fire station, his friends, and the Texas Rangers organization.

Lord we know each day, each breathe is a blessing from You. And Father God we just ask You right now to blanket this family with the peace and comfort of the Holy Spirit. In Jesus Christ Almighty Name we pray Amen.

Firefighter Stone is 10-42

cr180t
07-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Very Very Sad. They are all in our prayers.

LIONS#1
07-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Our heartfelt condolences and God Bless The Stone Family, from the Lions#1 family.....and condolences to the Brownwood Fire Fighter community...truly a sad story.

LionFan72
07-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Prayers for the family, the Brownwood Fire Department, and friends. A tragic accident!

ccmom
07-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Many prayers for the family and everyone involved. My 9 year old and husband are going to Sunday's game and I just keep thinking about how horrific this is. I also wish they would stop playing the video footage on the news, but maybe that's just me.

bwdlionfan
07-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Many prayers for the family and everyone involved. My 9 year old and husband are going to Sunday's game and I just keep thinking about how horrific this is. I also wish they would stop playing the video footage on the news, but maybe that's just me.

I agree with you, last year a man fell and survived but they quickly yanked the only video of it that someone had. This year, a man passes away and they keep showing it. It sounds backwards to me.

Roughneck93
07-08-2011, 11:32 AM

I agree with you, last year a man fell and survived but they quickly yanked the only video of it that someone had. This year, a man passes away and they keep showing it. It sounds backwards to me.

Couldn't agree more. I can't get over how his son must have felt at the time. Having seen it then just sitting there alone. So sad.
I tell what, I bet that gap between the stands and scoreboard is quickly covered up.

Macarthur
07-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I think the elephant in the room is not the height of the rail but the fact that there was no type of netting between the stands and the outfield wall. I can't believe after last year they didn't take a close look at high risk areas and these certainly would appear to be a high risk area. And how much would some netting cost? Maybe a couple thousand bucks? Sad and unfortunately, it appears this might could have been avoided.

I have sat in those same exact seats. I'm really surprised that hasn't been addressed.

YTBulldogs
07-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent from the Victoria Fire Department to a fellow firefighter. Shannon was so strong in death in making sure Cooper was taken care of prior to leaving this earth. Good speed to his family.

Txbroadcaster
07-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I think the elephant in the room is not the height of the rail but the fact that there was no type of netting between the stands and the outfield wall. I can't believe after last year they didn't take a close look at high risk areas and these certainly would appear to be a high risk area. And how much would some netting cost? Maybe a couple thousand bucks? Sad and unfortunately, it appears this might could have been avoided.

I have sat in those same exact seats. I'm really surprised that hasn't been addressed.

Where the other fan fell and this one is two different things..Last year the fan fell on other fans..Stone fell between to walls

eagles_victory
07-08-2011, 03:33 PM

I have sat in those same exact seats. I'm really surprised that hasn't been addressed. I couldnt disagree more... Is this a tragedy yea and it is horrible, but people die from accidents everyday. This has happened once in this spot in what 18 years. Accidents happen in all walks of life and it is tragic, but you cant blame it on the railing when this is the first time it happened. People die in car accidents everyday do we want to stop driving cars. That kid in Arizona died playing baseball should kids not allowed to play baseball anymore?

Txbroadcaster
07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I couldnt disagree more... Is this a tragedy yea and it is horrible, but people die from accidents everyday. This has happened once in this spot in what 18 years. Accidents happen in all walks of life and it is tragic, but you cant blame it on the railing when this is the first time it happened. People die in car accidents everyday do we want to stop driving cars. That kid in Arizona died playing baseball should kids not allowed to play baseball anymore?

I agree with what you mean..but that gap was not there until they created the new scoreboard this year.

eagles_victory
07-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I agree with what you mean..but that gap was not there until they created the new scoreboard this year. I think it is still ok... I honestly think the problem is and you see it all the time is peoples desire to get a cheap baseball. How many times do you see fans fall on the field or reach in front of people to get a ball. I just don't understand it.

Emerson1
07-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I agree with what you mean..but that gap was not there until they created the new scoreboard this year.
There are other gaps like this in outfield if I remember right. That have been there forever.

I'd say low rails being more of a problem. Even if they are of legal standard, if you are over 6' those things won't stop you from falling. You can't have nets in every problem area. If there was no gap, he would have just fallen onto the dirt which isn't enough to prevent injury when falling on your head.

I think it is still ok... I honestly think the problem is and you see it all the time is peoples desire to get a cheap baseball. How many times do you see fans fall on the field or reach in front of people to get a ball. I just don't understand it.
Well he had a kid with him. It's a natural reaction to just reach out for it.

Never sit by the ball boys down the line, people go crazy over there because so many balls end up in one area.

CenTexSports
07-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Accidents (90%+) are the result of bad habits being practiced over and over. This is true at work places and at ballparks. Most of these accidents can be prevented by identifying the behavior and either putting a stop to it or installing a safety in case the worst happens. Tragic but preventable.

eagles_victory
07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Accidents (90%+) are the result of bad habits being practiced over and over. This is true at work places and at ballparks. Most of these accidents can be prevented by identifying the behavior and either putting a stop to it or installing a safety in case the worst happens. Tragic but preventable. Cite your source...

RoyceTTU
07-08-2011, 08:01 PM
It's an accident and nothing more. Can't put pads and nets in ever nook and crack. When the good lord calls upon you there isn't anything anyone can do. Those that know shanon and his given nature know he didn't leave this world unfulfilled.

zebrablue2
07-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Prayers out to all involved in this! Very sad!!!

scrub c
07-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Just read about it in our local paper... very depressing.

CenTexSports
07-09-2011, 10:19 PM
I have been a manager in manufacturing plants for 30 years and I have seen the benefits of stopping bad behavior (unsafe acts). The 90%+ came from a VP of safety for Louisana Pacific at a training class several years ago. It was also his statement the "accidents are rehearsed 100 times before someone gets hurt". After reviewing many accident reports and doing root cause analysis, I have come to agree with him.

I have also been through many OSHA, Texas OSHCON, and insurance liability audits to see the benefits of stopping bad/unsafe actions.

RPF2666
07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
I was at the game with my wife and two boys. The accident happend so fast that if you weren't completely
focused on what was going on you didn't even see it. It was a horrible accident, and our hearts go
out to the family. It was a freak accident, with tragic consequences.

BEAST
07-11-2011, 09:29 AM
The funeral is today and there is already a huge crowd showing up. Over 100 firetrucks from across the state. I am the president of the cemetery where he will be laid to rest. A lot of folks spent the weekend making adjustments to the old cemetery to make able to hold so many folks. The towns reaction as well as the gestures by the Rangers have been amazing.

BEAST

bobcat1
07-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Prayers and condolences to the family and friends. The little boy is a big concern for me. I pray he gets the guidance he needs throughout his life.

BEAST
07-11-2011, 01:09 PM
ESPN as well as many other news stations were present at the funeral. It was confirmed to me the Nolan Ryan was also there. I havent had it confirmed yet but was told that President George W. Bush was also there. He was sitting with Nolan the night the tagic event happened. I cant tell you how many thousands of folks were there but it was enormous. Fire trucks as far as you could see.

Through genorous donations from many people, the family will be financially taken care of for quite some time. I also think (to Bobcat1) that many of the fireman will step and help with the boy until things calm back down. After that I am sure they will continue to help him anyway they can.

BEAST

slingshot
07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Prayers to the family from Abilene... anyone know offhand where donations can be made?

BEAST
07-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Prayers to the family from Abilene... anyone know offhand where donations can be made?

A memorial fund has been set up at Bank of America. You can send a check to Bank of America C/O Shannon Stone Account #488033378318 or sent it to the Brownwood Dept. C/O Shannon Stone Memorial Fund. The fire station address is 809 Main St. Brownwood, TX 76801

BEAST

RoyceTTU
07-11-2011, 02:18 PM
A memorial fund has been set up at Bank of America. You can send a check to Bank of America C/O Shannon Stone Account #488033378318 or sent it to the Brownwood Dept. C/O Shannon Stone Memorial Fund. The fire station address is 809 Main St. Brownwood, TX 76801

BEAST

The Texas Rangers have setup a donation portal as well.

https://secure.mlb.com/tex/community/shannon_stone_fund.jsp

RoyceTTU
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
http://www.brownwoodnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5679:jenny-stone-releases-letter-thanking-community&catid=35:news&Itemid=58

A letter was issued Tuesday from Jenny Stone, widow of Lieutenant Shannon Stone, the Brownwood firefighter who died after falling from the stands at a Texas Rangers game. In the letter Mrs. Stone gives thanks to many for their response following the tragic death of her husband.
The following is her statement in its entirety:

Monday we said goodbye to a wonderful man. Shannon was truly a great husband, father, son, brother, uncle, firefighter, and friend. While we have been overwhelmed with sadness by his death, we have also been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and sympathy that we have received, from complete strangers as far away as New Zealand, to the former president of the United States of America, to our closest friends and family.

While we will never forget that horrible night, we also will never forget the gentleman from Hawley, Texas, who protected Cooper that evening and came to pay his respects on Sunday. We will never forget the new friend Shannon, Cooper and I had just met on our recent camping trip to Destin, Florida, who traveled from Louisiana to pay his respects.
We will never forget all the firefighters and policemen and women and hospital staff who were there that night. We are incredibly thankful for the outpouring of love from Shannon's brother firefighters, the City of Brownwood, First United Methodist Church, Texas Motor Speedway, firefighters from all over Texas, and from everyone in our community who brought food, stopped by, stood on the roadside and blessed us with prayers. And, of course, we have been supported and held up by our family and friends, who have stayed by our side for the last four days.

Thank you is not enough, but we are truly thankful.

We are also thankful for Nolan Ryan, Josh Hamilton, the Texas Rangers, the Rangers fans, and all baseball fans, which have showed such concern and compassion. While I was certainly surprised to hear Nolan Ryan on my phone on Friday morning, I was not surprised that he would act just like we all see him, as a true Texas gentleman. Josh Hamilton remains Cooper's favorite baseball player, the Texas Rangers will always be our team, and baseball will always be our favorite game.

Again, we are so very thankful, appreciative, and overwhelmed by all of the support we have received. Shannon loved going to watch the Rangers and he loved Cooper. And, at the very end, he lived life to its fullest, doing something he loved.

eagleqb_14
07-13-2011, 12:02 PM
heard there was people as far as new zealand calling the wife

BEAST
07-13-2011, 03:22 PM
heard there was people as far as new zealand calling the wife

That is true. Josh Hamilton is going to visit them at a more appropriate time.

BEAST

bobcat1
07-13-2011, 04:05 PM
That is true. Josh Hamilton is going to visit them at a more appropriate time.

BEASTNow that is awesome of him.