PDA

View Full Version : TX 3A player is ESPN's #1 ILB in the nation

icu812
07-07-2011, 03:06 PM
See article below. Btw, it is no exaggeration how hard this guy works. He's actually a little bigger than 245lb (250 ish), benches well over 400lbs (425 last i heard but that was a while ago), runs a 4.6. Google him to see video. Beast!! He's has made himself better every year since pee wee. Can't wait to watch his senior year. If I was a rb with Van on the schedule I'd have sick feeling in my stomach. I hope he choses A&M over those out of state schools, he would be a great fit down at College Station.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6709760

ESPN.com: Football

Monday, June 27, 2011
ILB Dalton Santos is on a mission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Corey Long
ESPN Recruiting

Under Armour All-American linebacker Dalton Santos (Van, Texas/Van) plays football a little like he plays "Call of Duty," a military-style first-person shooter video game.

Eliminate everything in sight.

"When I'm out on that field I just want to pop somebody right in the mouth," Santos said. "I don't what it is, it's kind of crazy actually, but I just play fast and hard."

A tackling machine and a freak in the weight room, the 6-foot-2, 245-pound Santos isn't afraid to deliver the first blow & and the second -- on the rare occasions it's necessary.

"If you're in my way and I have to run you over to get to the football that's what I'm going to do," Santos said. "I like that mentality. I like meeting someone in the hole full speed and hearing their ears ring. I love contact. That's what I live for."

Mike Gundy and Oklahoma State had a commitment from ESPNU 150 ILB Dalton Santos, but the player has backed off.
Originally the first commitment in the 2012 class of Oklahoma State, Santos has backed off that a little and now the top-rated inside linebacker wants to look around a bit.

He has offers from Alabama, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Arkansas, TCU and about 20 other schools. Oklahoma State, a school that has stood out to him since he was a sophomore, is still in the mix, but Santos wants to be sure before he makes his final decision.

"I think I need to look around for a bit and check some places so I can find the right fit," he said. "I know I'm going to Texas A&M on July 17 and then I'm going to hit a few schools in a week -- Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Florida for sure. I don't know all of the dates yet."

As more of the top programs in the nation jump into Santos' recruiting they are impressed with a player who seems to have a knack for being near the football.

"I've been playing middle linebacker since I was little and it's just second nature with me now," Santos said. "I don't hear anything when I'm out there, I just react. You can call it instinct or whatever, but I know what to look for and how to get there.

"I've had great coaches, too, and they have helped get the most out of me. Everyone says I have a bright future as long as I keep working hard and listening and praying. That's what I do."

Santos is a man for all seasons. When he's not playing football or running track he loves to enjoy the outdoors in his hometown of approximately 2,600.

"There aren't too many people here for sure," Santos said. "We've got a Sonic and a grocery store and if you blink you'll pretty much miss Van. But I love to get together with my brother and my friends and we'll go fishing and hunting or ride around in the four-wheelers. Just have a good time."

This time of year Santos and his friends will be going after some wild hogs but when the linebacker is in hunting mode he tends to take a pretty basic approach.

"The way I look at things, if it flies it dies," Santos joked.

After some time in the outdoors and of course the weight room, Santos' time shifts from live game hunting to virtual hunting and "Call of Duty."

"We'll have some friends over for a big tournament and I'm just wrecking things left and right baby," Santos said. "No one can stop me in that game."

Santos also will play some NCAA Football, but he defers to his younger brother when asked who the best is.

"He's really, really good, he can use any team, like Troy or something, and just make them world beaters," Santos said. "I like to run around with the good teams like Texas or Alabama, but he can beat me with anyone."

Before settling in Van, the Santos family lived in Dallas. When the opportunity came to purchase a restaurant outside of Van, the family moved.

"The restaurant, Don Santos' Mexican Grill, was really successful," Santos said. "At first people didn't think it would work out but we were located in Edom, Texas, and there are five towns around Edom and you had to go through Edom to get to any one of those towns so people were coming in and out of the restaurant all day. It was crazy."

Unfortunately the restaurant burned down last year under different ownership. The Santoses tried to recover the facility but were not able to do it.

"We had leased it out and the place burned when an air conditioning unit overheated and caught fire," Santos said. "They wouldn't sell it back to us; it was a bad deal all around."

Still there isn't much that can keep Santos down for too long. As a player who models his game after future Hall of Famers Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher, Santos stays motivated to be the best.

"They are great leaders and probably the hardest workers in the game and I just like how nasty they are on the field," Santos said. "They don't care; they will pop you in the mouth. That's the way I want to be on the field.

Santos' daily workouts include lots of lifting and running. He likes to say he works out the equivalent of "about 14 days a week."

He gets motivation wherever he can, including with the ESPNU 150, where he is top-rated inside linebacker in the nation.

"I saw that I was like 93rd or something, is that right?" Santos asked. "You know I'm extremely happy about being the top inside linebacker, but I'm pretty sure I can go up quite a bit in the overall 150.

"I think I can bring a lot more to the table so I'm going to keep grinding and working hard. I want to know that when I lay down at night that I did everything I could to be the best."

MGAR
07-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Is he a beast.. Talked to him every so often, nice kid..

I'm thinking he will go the SEC route. Alabama offer was a BIG deal to him.

Roughneck93
07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Just checked out some of his junior year highlights. Impressive! Good luck to him.
Looks like he will have the pick of litter by the end of year.

Snotbubbles
07-07-2011, 03:24 PM
I seen some video on John Wood, Whitesboro. This kid can cover and make the hits. He should get some college interest. I've heard he had a great summer and prepared for a tremendous senior year.

icu812
07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Is he a beast.. Talked to him every so often, nice kid..

I'm thinking he will go the SEC route. Alabama offer was a BIG deal to him.

Yeah nice guy but plays angry. When Alabama offered along with every other SEC team that is a BIG deal even if he decides to stay in state.

icu812
07-07-2011, 03:45 PM
From OUinsider:

"One of Santos biggest assets is that he is incredibly strong. Santos maxed out recently at 400-pounds and has put up as much as 450-pounds one time. Santos works out with a 600-pound squat but has put up as much as 700-pounds. He has also put up a 32-inch vertical jump, runs in all the relay’s (3rd leg) in track and throws the shot (54) and discus (148)."

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Article/Sooners-in-Santos-Top-Five-30071

hawkfan
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I never got the chance to watch him play football, but I did get to watch him anchor Van's mile relay at the regional qualifier his soph. year. Dude is a beast. I hope he chosses A&M as well.

bobcat4life
07-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I seen some video on John Wood, Whitesboro. This kid can cover and make the hits. He should get some college interest. I've heard he had a great summer and prepared for a tremendous senior year.

Thats bigwood33's son. He is good and has a few offers I think (mostly from small schools)

Snotbubbles
07-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Thats bigwood33's son. He is good and has a few offers I think (mostly from small schools)

Awwww, that's BW's son. Great prospect. I know one thing, when John walks up to the line from his LB spot, he wasn't contained by a few linemen and a chipping RB. Moves very well on his feet and defends off would be blockers/FB's very well. Keeps 'em off his knees, which is what I look for in a LB'er.

Daddy D 11
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
he's freaking huge! for some reason he reminds me of some of the OU LBers from the past, i bet stoops comes in and breaks the bank and gets him lol

bigwood33
07-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks Snotty and BC4L! Kind words indeed. Of course I am proud of John and we are having some pretty interesting correspondences with several folks, but we are not exactly sure what will come of it all yet. We are trying to be patient to see what his real opportunities are at this point but they are certainly NOT the same as the Van kid. Good luck to him and I sure hope to see him in about the 3rd round:wave:

SHSBulldog00
07-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Special Talent like him only comes along once in a coaches career if he is lucky.

dog40
07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
This is off the subject, but I was wondering what ever happened to the running back from Van that was so highly touted that went to OU a few years back? Just curious...

icu812
07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
This is off the subject, but I was wondering what ever happened to the running back from Van that was so highly touted that went to OU a few years back? Just curious...

Is still on the depth chart at OU. Last year he tore up his knee in a game early in the year. He is a junior this year. They held him out of the spring game but should get a look this year. Talented player but OU has lots of talented Rb's. I really hope he gets his chance to shine.