PDA

View Full Version : What are the worst distractions for an athlete?

Cam
07-05-2011, 10:26 AM
My first guess is the girlies! I watched one kid (won't mention names) who had an outstanding junior year, then apparently discovered girls and started "messin" around according to his dad, and had a rough senior year. He was slower. Had less concentration on the field, and basically looked like his girly friends had sucked the life out em!.......And many felt this kid could've played at the next level....See, the womens just mess things up sometimes.......:stirpot:

BEAST
07-05-2011, 10:28 AM
For a high school athlete girls can be a distraction. I thnk more than anything else it would be problems at home. Nothing can take your head out of the game like that can.

BEAST

greendawg84
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
GIRLS ! Nothing else comes anywhere close.

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 10:36 AM
My first guess is the girlies! I watched one kid (won't mention names) who had an outstanding junior year, then apparently discovered girls and started "messin" around according to his dad, and had a rough senior year. He was slower. Had less concentration on the field, and basically looked like his girly friends had sucked the life out em!.......And many felt this kid could've played at the next level....See, the womens just mess things up sometimes.......:stirpot:

Peer pressure.

But this can go both ways, It can be the worst or the best depending on who your hanging out with.

BaseballUmp
07-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Females

MGAR
07-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Don't remember where I saw it at but Barry Sanders once said during season he did NOTHING with his wife.. Took away his edge or something like that.

Ernest T Bass
07-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Don't remember where I saw it at but Barry Sanders once said during season he did NOTHING with his wife.. Took away his edge or something like that.

It's hard to stand on your feet all day when you've been standing on your ---- all night.
That stuff is undefeated.

OldNavy
07-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Former Texas Tech Coach Leach said it was "fat girlfriends" that were the problem. Perhaps he has changed his mind. It is now dark sheds.:wave:

poisoned10
07-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Maybe it's just me, but my time on the field/court were my chances to get away from anything that could have been on my mind.

The only thing that mattered at that time was the game I was playing or the practice that was going on. I was completely oblivious to anything going on outside of the field/court. Even personal things in my life.

BILLYFRED0000
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Maybe it's just me, but my time on the field/court were my chances to get away from anything that could have been on my mind.

The only thing that mattered at that time was the game I was playing or the practice that was going on. I was completely oblivious to anything going on outside of the field/court. Even personal things in my life.

Yes that rings true. I was fortunate in my youth after my mom died and my dad left that my grandparents raised me and it was as close to mom and dad as you will ever get. but some of my friends got out there and really played with an edge because trouble at home was something they got away from when they were playing.

Ernest T Bass
07-05-2011, 12:50 PM

It's starts with a P and ends with a Y, and it's undefeated, untied, and undisputed.

bulldog82
07-05-2011, 12:50 PM
hands down the girl can ruin everything, don't get me wrong, girls are a neccesity but if they (GIRLS) would play their cards right, helping rather than henduring the boy to the next level it would be to her benefit. non the the less the girl ruined my sons chances at the next level and now shes out of the picture and he's out of sports.

Matthew328
07-05-2011, 12:54 PM
The peoples champ!

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 12:55 PM
It's starts with a P and ends with a Y, and it's undefeated, untied, and undisputed.

Penny
Potty
Pansy

Party:thinking:

Ernest T Bass
07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Penny
Potty
Pansy

Party:thinking:
Pretty. As in Pretty girls.

mwynn05
07-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Like ETB said it's undefeated and always will be... seen it happen

Phil C
07-05-2011, 01:51 PM
It depends on the girl. I know Coach Ray Akins retired coach from Gregory-Portland played football in college and his girlfriend said she would not go out with him on Friday night so he could get his needed rest before a game. She became his wife and they are grandparents of Drew Brees.

Some girls can be a distraction. I think it is great when they support their boyfriends in the right way (and vice-versa). For example when in HS we were at the district track meet and the girls there were a bad distraction. Fortunately we won the meet but no thanks to them. I remember wishing they had stayed away at the time. Now if they stayed in the stands and cheered as spectators that was ok but not be out with them.
I had a great GF at the time and she stayed home that important day so as not to distract me. Of course she had grandparents coming down for a visit that day so it was a coincidence. ;)

SHSBulldog00
07-05-2011, 01:52 PM

http://youtu.be/eGDBR2L5kzI

maestro
07-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Former Texas Tech Coach Leach said it was "fat girlfriends" that were the problem. Perhaps he has changed his mind. It is now dark sheds.:wave:

that was a great quote.....

baseball distractions: parents who insist on sitting behind homeplate in lawnchairs and never shut up.

football distractions: always dreaded the games played on school holidays...

basketball distractions: when the school officials combined subvarsity boys and subvarsity girls games along with varsity girls and boys games. the varsity boys game could begin either at 7:30 or 8:30...depending on the previous games played.

vet93
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM
No wonder he retired early!!!

BwdLion73
07-06-2011, 12:31 PM
I agree on the female part, however to get the girl you needed a car. It seems today that parents go out and buy their kids a car. If you wanted a car (back in the day) you got a job. Working 4pm to 10pm to get that car has a way of messing up football practice.

Buckeye1980
07-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Going away from the popular answer, but I will say bad coaching!

bobcat1
07-06-2011, 12:52 PM

The only thing that mattered at that time was the game I was playing or the practice that was going on. I was completely oblivious to anything going on outside of the field/court. Even personal things in my life.Yep!