PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Crow Balk to lose the game

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 09:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2J0EGW5Wo

The play starts midway through. This balk ended up giving the winning run up.
I watch quite a bit of baseball I still can't see that this is a balk. I think this ump might of been a bit too amped up.

poisoned10
07-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Me neither.

Txbroadcaster
07-05-2011, 09:56 AM
yep that is a balk..u cannot begin ur motion to the plate then step back without becoming set first

GrTigers6
07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
The balk is the subtle lean right before he steps off the rubber.

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 10:16 AM
yep that is a balk..u cannot begin ur motion to the plate then step back without becoming set first

I think the argument could be made if he was out of the wind up, but out of the stretch, that does not look like any movement to start a pitching motion. JMHO

GR - I see the lean, but he never came set before so he is allowed to lean in to read the signs.

Txbroadcaster
07-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I think the argument could be made if he was out of the wind up, but out of the stretch, that does not look like any movement to start a pitching motion. JMHO

GR - I see the lean, but he never came set before so he is allowed to lean in to read the signs.

he is allowed to lean in then step back BEFORE coming set..he can not lean in, then move back then step back before becoming set...if he would have just come set after the lean he could have done whatever...the catcher knew as soon as it happen, just watch his reaction

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 10:33 AM
he is allowed to lean in then step back BEFORE coming set..he can not lean in, then move back then step back before becoming set...if he would have just come set after the lean he could have done whatever...the catcher knew as soon as it happen, just watch his reaction

I don't know. It's tough either way. Before coming to set, which he never did, he can lean, rock, step off or whatever as long as he makes no motion towards the plate or delivery. I just don't see any dileberate move towards the plate. He simply stepped off the rubber.

You did bring up a good point though, the catcher did react. I don't think he reacted like you said though. Something happened on 3rd base that we cannot see that made the catcher look as well as making the pitcher step off to readdress the pitch. The combo of the two did make the whole scene look odd and possibly influenced the umps call.

I just hate that this game ended because of a called balk, where the pitcher didn't make any effort to gain an advantage over the runner or the batter. He made zero effort towards either. He was stepping off the rubber. Anyhow, these are tough to see, I just thought it was interesting.

Txbroadcaster
07-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't know. It's tough either way. Before coming to set, which he never did, he can lean, rock, step off or whatever as long as he makes no motion towards the plate or delivery. I just don't see any dileberate move towards the plate. He simply stepped off the rubber.

You did bring up a good point though, the catcher did react. I don't think he reacted like you said though. Something happened on 3rd base that we cannot see that made the catcher look as well as making the pitcher step off to readdress the pitch. The combo of the two did make the whole scene look odd and possibly influenced the umps call.

I just hate that this game ended because of a called balk, where the pitcher didn't make any effort to gain an advantage over the runner or the batter. He made zero effort towards either. He was stepping off the rubber. Anyhow, these are tough to see, I just thought it was interesting.

catcher is looking to the dugout then to pitcher then about to check on runner..I dont see anything saying the catcher was looking at 3rd other than normal checking on where the runner is in his lead off

The pitcher IMO readresses himself because he knows what he did was not right( not saying he knew it was a balk, but something was not not right compared to his normal movement)

I am not saying it was not close..but if it was a balk then right call was made..I dont believe in that refs should not decide game late..if he does not call it then that is deciding the game out of the players hands as well...I want the officals calling what they see no matter the situation

poisoned10
07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
After reading some articles from the game, it appears he called a balk because he moved his shoulders.

BEAST
07-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Ive watched that over and over. Seems to me, if that is a balk, then a balk could be called on about 50-60% of pitches.

BEAST

Roughneck93
07-05-2011, 11:49 AM
After reading some articles from the game, it appears he called a balk because he moved his shoulders.That's the only thing I could see. The shoulders. But man, it's a tough call to make either way.

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Something else that came to mind after the fact, the Plate Umpire called the balk. He has the least optimum focal point of any leaning. Many balks are called from the 1st or 3rd base umpire because they can see when motion starts and stops to and from the plate.

I can't agree with the shoulders though. The only movement of the shoulders were once he commited to stepping off the rubber.

I've probably watched this 50 times now. I see one thing that could be very deceiving. If you imagine yourself from the focal point of the Plate umpire, and watch the pitchers front foot. The motion of the front foot looks almost he is starting a slide step pitching motion. The problem with this is that his back foot had already stepped off the back. It does look awkward. From the plate ump i don't think he could of seen that the back foot had stepped off.

Anyhow, I trying to see the point of view but I really believe it was a missed call. Won't be the first and certainly won't be the last.

GrTigers6
07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
I believe this is the ruling they are calling in this balk. In comingto his set position he stops and steps off. He should have come to the set position and then step off.
Preparatory to coming to a set position, the pitcher shall have one hand on his side; from this position he shall go to his set position as defined in Rule 8.01(b) without interruption and in one continuous motion.
The pitcher, following his stretch, must (a) hold the ball in both hands in front of his body and (b) come to a complete stop.

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I believe this is the ruling they are calling in this balk. In comingto his set position he stops and steps off. He should have come to the set position and then step off.
Preparatory to coming to a set position, the pitcher shall have one hand on his side; from this position he shall go to his set position as defined in Rule 8.01(b) without interruption and in one continuous motion.
The pitcher, following his stretch, must (a) hold the ball in both hands in front of his body and (b) come to a complete stop.

That's where the problem lies, The Ump thinks he's trying to come to set. He stepping off the mound. You do NOT have to come to set, to step off the rubber. You can simply step off. But, if you make the motion to come to set you do have to come to a complete pause. This is where most balks come about.

He makes zero attempt to make a motion that resembles going to set.

GrTigers6
07-05-2011, 03:46 PM
I would be wiling to bet that the lean is part of his getting set motion. And when he broke that motion it became a balk. I am no expert by any means. I have umpired pony baseball for years so I probably wouldn't have called it but that is the only thing I can see that he is calling.