PDA

View Full Version : Division II 7 on 7 Pre-Tournament Rankings

Matthew328
07-05-2011, 06:36 AM
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1236825

BEAST
07-05-2011, 08:31 AM
You have Prosper way to high. We destroyed them using mainly our backups.

BEAST

Matthew328
07-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Prosper was missing 7 starters at Tarleton, so I'm giving them a mulligan. Bowie was the first time they had their full squad and they looked outstanding.

BEAST
07-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Prosper was missing 7 starters at Tarleton, so I'm giving them a mulligan. Bowie was the first time they had their full squad and they looked outstanding.

I gotcha.

BEAST

poisoned10
07-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Kinda surprised to see Gilmer at #2.

They did look good when I saw them and they won 3 straight tournaments that they competed in. Also heard they came in 4th at a big tournament with 64, 4A and 5A teams.

Matthew328
07-05-2011, 09:12 AM
I think 3 of the 7 who were out were Torii Hunter's 3 sons...one of them is a STUD WR

poisoned10
07-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I think 3 of the 7 who were out were Torii Hunter's 3 sons...one of them is a STUD WR

The baseball player?

Matthew328
07-05-2011, 09:14 AM
That is correct

buckeyebob
07-06-2011, 05:45 AM

They did look good when I saw them and they won 3 straight tournaments that they competed in. Also heard they came in 4th at a big tournament with 64, 4A and 5A teams.

Your right...they should have been #1...they have only lost one game this year (Keller...they got beat in the semifinals. If the boys areready, they will be a force.

Matthew328
07-06-2011, 07:02 AM
hard to put them over a Celina team that hasn't lost this summer and who has a 7 on 7 pedigree that speaks for itself.

waterboy
07-06-2011, 07:24 AM
hard to put them over a Celina team that hasn't lost this summer and who has a 7 on 7 pedigree that speaks for itself.
I agree. I'd prefer to start a little low in the rankings and earn my way up. Do the rankings have anything to do with how the brackets are set up?

MGAR
07-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Hilarious... Some Gilmer folk whining about not being number 1 in 7on7...

waterboy
07-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Hilarious... Some Gilmer folk whining about not being number 1 in 7on7...
I'm pretty sure he said that "tongue-in-cheek". Since when is that the same as "whining"? Most of us are surprised we're ranked as high as we are. It doesn't matter where we're ranked anyway, it's how we finish that matters.

poisoned10
07-06-2011, 09:23 AM

Maybe I should clarify.

When I said I was surprised to see them at #2, I meant I was surprised to see them that high. Not that I thought they should be #1.

MGAR
07-06-2011, 09:27 AM
It's ok bucknuts... It's ok.

Matthew328
07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I agree. I'd prefer to start a little low in the rankings and earn my way up. Do the rankings have anything to do with how the brackets are set up?

It's got no bearing on the brackets. They are drawn randomly

waterboy
07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
It's got no bearing on the brackets. They are drawn randomly
Okay. I didn't think it had anything to do with it, but I wasn't sure. Thanks. We will do well in the tournament I think. How good remains to be seen. Good luck to my Buckeyes.:clap:

wimbo_pro
07-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Wimberley #3?? I dunno..though we have an excellent receiver corps, I wouldn't think that we are that great of a passing team in a 7-on-7 setting...our QB's strength has been to pass the short route if open immediately, or take off running...which he is very good at, making it very difficult to cover in regular play. In 7-on-7? I am not sure this is a strength. But anyways, I am looking forward to the results. If we can bolster our running game this year with a much better passing game, we will be hard to contain.

Buckeye1980
07-06-2011, 12:40 PM

May not be real great with math, but wouldn't that mean all the players were back-ups? (missing sever starters in 7 on 7)

MGAR
07-06-2011, 12:46 PM
May not be real great with math, but wouldn't that mean all the players were back-ups? (missing sever starters in 7 on 7)

Not unless the 7 players went both ways..

FB-fanatic
07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Not bad being an underdog... though a bit surprised. The last evening of league play Lorena went 3-0, including wins over China Spring, a good McGregor team and 22-21 win over 4A Midway (their varsity A squad), a perinial(sp) 11-man playoff team. We went 10-2 in league play, including the split with Midway along with very solid tournement play.

buckeyebob
07-07-2011, 05:47 AM

I was very suprised to see us that high but what I was referencing...I cannot believe that Matt put Celina ahead of the Buckeyes...everyone knows that Celina cannot contend with East Texas Speed.

bigwood33
07-07-2011, 06:00 AM
everyone knows that Celina cannot contend with East Texas Speed.
Did you see them at the State Meet? They looked pretty fast to me:stirpot:

WildTexan972
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
a team from the south beat the Celina relay teams, but none from the east were faster....

come Fall, the loss of a key OL may hurt the Bobcats....but they do have a pretty deep OL group and a great OL coach to fix that hole....

Old Tiger
07-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Hilarious... Some Gilmer folk whining about not being number 1 in 7on7...I notice you are from Beast texas....is that the anus of BEAST form the Downlow?

MGAR
07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I notice you are from Beast texas....is that the anus of BEAST form the Downlow?

No, I am actually from Karnack but I did not want to get made fun of so I put Beast Texas.

FB-fanatic
07-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice 7v7 story today on the front page of the sports in the Waco Trib:

Road to recovery challenges Lorena QB at 7-on-7

By Will Parchman
Tribune-Herald staff writer
Friday July 8, 2011

Just like the year before, Fisher Simpson’s 2010 football season came to a painfully abrupt end before it even reached the halfway point.

After breaking his collarbone in 2009, Lorena’s hard-luck quarterback worked back to fitness for last season only to watch it disappear again. He tore the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments as well as the meniscus in his right knee Oct. 8 on a hard shot against La Vega.

At the time, Simpson was District 19-3A’s most productive quarterback with 634 passing yards. After eight months of grueling rehab, the senior is well on his way back. Next week, a healthy Simpson and Lorena will waltz into College Station for the 7-on-7 Division II state tournament.

The tournament splits into two divisions, Division I for 4A and 5A and Division II for TAPPS through 3A. The game emphasizes skill position play, with teams forced to pass on every play with one-hand touch rules applied on a 45-yard field.

Through three qualifying tournaments, the Leopards were a perfect 10-0.

“My timing with my receivers is a lot better this year,” Simpson said. “I think we have a much better chance than we did last year. We’ve been practicing a lot more entering this tournament.”

Last year, Lorena limped to a 1-2 record in pool play and was swept into the consolation bracket. The Leopards won three games before losing to eventual consolation champs Graham in the semifinals.

It was a fine way to end the week, but the Leopards were disappointed to miss out on a crack at the championship bracket. A healthy, refocused Simpson aims to lead the wave of change.

Simpson’s road back continually tried his resolve. He rehabbed for two months to prepare for surgery and spent six more months training post-surgery before he was cleared to go full speed.

“At the start was the worst,” Simpson said. “The acknowledgment that I was hurt and I couldn’t play. After that, I realized I had to get my mind right and get ready for next season.”

That included joining a Midway-hosted 7-on-7 league this offseason and doubling practice times from last year to get back into a groove with his receivers, Hunter Lowe, Blake Castilleja and speedster Bradly Krall. The latter two even took some snaps when Simpson went down during Lorena’s eventual District 19-3A title defense last season.

The results were positive. As Simpson recalibrated his arm, Lorena went undefeated through its own tournament as well as ones in Whitney and Gatesville.

“It took a little bit to get his timing back,” Krall said. “But he came back pretty quick.”

Simpson can remember when stud running back Evan Ward was a member of Lorena’s 7-on-7 team two years ago. The Leopards still finished in the bottom half of their pool and lost to West in the consolation quarterfinals.

They’re not just thinking about their first trip to the championship bracket this year. They’re thinking about winning the thing.

“I feel ready for it,” Krall said. “I think we all feel the same way.”

wparchman@wacotrib.com