PDA

View Full Version : Rangers best players of all time by position.

orange machine
07-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I'll start off
Catcher-Ivan Rodriguez
Pitcher-Nolan Ryan
1st Base-Rafael Palmeiro
2nd Base-Ian Kinsler
SS-Michael Young
3rd Base- Dean Palmer
C Josh Hamilton
RF- Nelson Cruise/Juan Gonzales
LF- Ruben Sierra although he was a right fielder I can't think of anybody better.

bigwood33
07-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Starting Pitcher- Ferguson Jenkins
Catcher- Pudge
1st- Palmeiro
2nd- Jules Franco
3rd- Buddy Bell
SS- Elvis
RF- Ruben Sierra
CF- Micky Rivers
LF- Josh Hamilton

orange machine
07-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Oh crap I forgot about Julio Franco that's a toss up to me between he and Ian.

orange machine
07-04-2011, 11:11 PM
At this point I'm not convinced that Elvis is the best short stop the Rangers have ever had. He has 16 errors this year he will probably end up being the best but Michael Young to me in his prime was better.

orange machine
07-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Back ups
Catcher-Jim Sunberg
P-Charlie Huff
1st-Will Clark
2nd-Julio Franco
SS- Elvis Andrus
3rd-Buddy Bell
CF-Gary Pettis
RF-Juan Gonzales or Ruben Sierra
LF-Rusty Greer

Tejastrue
07-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Starting Pitcher- Ferguson Jenkins
Catcher- Jim Sunberg
1st- Will Clark
2nd- Michael Young
3rd- Buddy Bell
SS-Toby Harrah
RF- Ruben Sierra
CF- Al Oliver /Josh Hamilton
LF- Al Oliver /Josh Hamilton

BaseballUmp
07-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Who is Jim Sundberg and how is he better than Pudge? Hopefully the stats don't tell how good the guy really was because he was a .248 career batter with only 95 hr's in 16 seasons

Txbroadcaster
07-05-2011, 12:14 AM
At this point I'm not convinced that Elvis is the best short stop the Rangers have ever had. He has 16 errors this year he will probably end up being the best but Michael Young to me in his prime was better.

Elvis has struggled this year but his range makes him IMO far better than Young was at SS..Young was solid, but alot of stuff got by him because of his limited range...Elvis is still learning how to be consistent

even in this year where he is struggling his Defensive Runs Saved is plus 8...the best Young ever was at SS is plus 10..and he had years of -31..-25..-14

Andrus is still 2nd in put outs and 5th in assists in the league

eagles_victory
07-05-2011, 04:47 AM
C: Pudge
1B: Palmerio
2B: Kinsler
3B: Palmer
SS: Alex Rodriguez
CF: Josh Hamilton
RF: Juan Gonzalez
LF: Ruben Sierra

P: Fergie Jenkins
P: Cliff Lee
P: Aaron Sele
Closer: John Wetland.

poisoned10
07-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Andrus is still 2nd in put outs and 5th in assists in the league

I'm willing to bet ol' G2 is leading both of those categories!

waterboy
07-05-2011, 09:10 AM
The only one I would be positive about being the best at their position ever for the Rangers is Ivan Rodriguez at catcher. The rest of the positions you could make a case for more than one.

CenTexSports
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Jim Sundberg is the one that sits beside Nolan and his wife at every game. He was a journeyman catcher with a great arm. IMO he is the best Ranger catcher of all time. He left Texas at the end of his career and played for KC. He hit a triple off the top of the fence to help them get to the WS and they won it against St Louis. That is one of my favorite teams: George Brett, Sundberg, Willie Wilson, and Frank White.

Lucky2Coach
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I'll start off
Catcher-Ivan Rodriguez
Pitcher-Nolan Ryan
1st Base-Rafael Palmeiro
2nd Base-Ian Kinsler
SS-Michael Young
3rd Base- Dean Palmer
C Josh Hamilton
RF- Nelson Cruise/Juan Gonzales
LF- Ruben Sierra although he was a right fielder I can't think of anybody better.

Dean Palmer was the worst at 3rd base!!! I'd take Young, Buechelle, Buddy Bell way before Dean Palmer. That guy never got a hit in a clutch situation.

Tejastrue
07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Jim Sundberg 0.993 LFP. Best of all catchers. I guess you had to be there to understand and I've seen them both. Make your own list. :wave: :taunt:

Buckeye1980
07-05-2011, 12:17 PM
3B: Palmer

P: Aaron Sele

CLIFF LEE ??? He was VERY MEDIOCRE as a Ranger. Only 4-6 and 3.98 E.R.A. and 0-2 with 6.94 ERA in World Series....

Buckeye1980
07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
3B: Michael Young
SS: Elvis

P: Kenny Rogers
P: Nolan Ryan

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Catcher-Ivan Rodriguez (he is the best all around, but Micky Tettleton comes in 2nd because he is just plain scary :eek:)
Pitcher-Kenny Rogers(nolan a very close 2nd, can rule out Oil-Can Boyd though :doh:
1st Base-Rafael Palmeiro(this is a bit iffy since he is the middle of the HGH debacle so I'll throw out Texiera also since we know he's clean:doh:)
2nd Base-Ian Kinsler(Randy Velarde played in 2001 with .297 batting avg for half the year, not too shabby, 2nd goes to Julio-if he stuck around longer he would be 1)

SS-Michael Young(can't completely ignore A-Rod, but I would just assume forget him :ack!:)
3rd Base- Todd Ziele(normally I wouldn't pick someone that played only one year, but we have had some bad 3rd basemen. FYI- i had forgot Ken Caminiti played a year. He was good. Beltre should take this easily in next couple of years.

Outfielders (you can combine cause they move around too much)
Juan Gonzales
Josh Hamilton
Rusty Greer (ended with a .305:thumbsup:)
Nellie Cruz

And I would rather be kicked in the groin to have to watch......
Jose Canseco
Stinky Inkavellia
Darren O'Day
Buechelle

Sville
07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
C: Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Rafael Palmerio
2B: Michael Young
3B: Adrian Beltre
LF: Rust Greer

Starters:
Nolan Ryan
Kevin Brown
Fergie Jenkins
Gaylord Perry
Kenny Rogers

Bullpen:
Jeff Russell
Neftali Feliz
Jeff Zimmerman
Aki Otsuka
CJ Wilson
Closer
John Wetteland

eagles_victory
07-05-2011, 01:58 PM
CLIFF LEE ??? He was VERY MEDIOCRE as a Ranger. Only 4-6 and 3.98 E.R.A. and 0-2 with 6.94 ERA in World Series.... Won the biggest game in Rangers history game 5 of the ALDS. You take him away Rangers still havent won a playoff series. Have to watch games instead of just relying on numbers.

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Won the biggest game in Rangers history game 5 of the ALDS. You take him away Rangers still havent won a playoff series. Have to watch games instead of just relying on numbers.

The title says "best player of ALL time" not "Best player of ONE time":taunt:

You do have a point though, I just can't put one game above many combined others.

eagles_victory
07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
The title says "best player of ALL time" not "Best player of ONE time":taunt:

You do have a point though, I just can't put one game above many combined others. He was responsible for 3 playoff wins... before him the Rangers had 1 playoff win....

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 02:06 PM
He was responsible for 3 playoff wins... before him the Rangers had 1 playoff win....

I agree he can't be overlooked. Like I said, even at 3 wins, its tough to pick him over guys that have many more for many years.

eagles_victory
07-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I agree he can't be overlooked. Like I said, even at 3 wins, its tough to pick him over guys that have many more for many years. All wins arent created equally a win in October is a lot bigger deal than a win in June.

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 02:12 PM
All wins arent created equally a win in October is a lot bigger deal than a win in June.

so are Perfect Games and No-hitters.

A Perfect Game is the toughest single game feat in Baseball.

eagles_victory
07-05-2011, 02:18 PM
so are Perfect Games and No-hitters.

A Perfect Game is the toughest single game feat in Baseball. Give me Cliff Lees 3 playoff wins over any no hitter or perfect game.

Txbroadcaster
07-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Catcher-Ivan Rodriguez (he is the best all around, but Micky Tettleton comes in 2nd because he is just plain scary :eek:)
Pitcher-Kenny Rogers(nolan a very close 2nd, can rule out Oil-Can Boyd though :doh:
1st Base-Rafael Palmeiro(this is a bit iffy since he is the middle of the HGH debacle so I'll throw out Texiera also since we know he's clean:doh:)
2nd Base-Ian Kinsler(Randy Velarde played in 2001 with .297 batting avg for half the year, not too shabby, 2nd goes to Julio-if he stuck around longer he would be 1)

SS-Michael Young(can't completely ignore A-Rod, but I would just assume forget him :ack!:)
3rd Base- Todd Ziele(normally I wouldn't pick someone that played only one year, but we have had some bad 3rd basemen. FYI- i had forgot Ken Caminiti played a year. He was good. Beltre should take this easily in next couple of years.

Outfielders (you can combine cause they move around too much)
Juan Gonzales
Josh Hamilton
Rusty Greer (ended with a .305:thumbsup:)
Nellie Cruz

And I would rather be kicked in the groin to have to watch......
Jose Canseco
Stinky Inkavellia
Darren O'Day
Buechelle

I will take Buddy bell and his 6 gold gloves with Texas over anyone at 3B a this point..also Buchele would be 2nd at this point that dude was nothing but solid day in and say out at 3B

coach
07-05-2011, 02:58 PM
randy velarde...are you freaking kiddingme

RoyceTTU
07-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I will take Buddy bell and his 6 gold gloves with Texas over anyone at 3B a this point..also Buchele would be 2nd at this point that dude was nothing but solid day in and say out at 3B

I don't remember Buddy Bell, but a little research tells me neither of these guys are great. I remember Buechelle quite well.

Errors
Steve - 66(100 as career)
Buddy - 105(thats a lot of gold gloves for this many errors, must of been bad competition.)

both are above a .970 in put outs. but not by much. It's the hot spot so some errors are to be expected. And yes Dean Palmer hoovered, severely.

When I looked up Errors by the Ranger franchise
Buechelle - 17th
Dean Palmer - 4th
Bell - 5th

Guess who is 3rd Highest:thinking:............Michael Young:doh:

To his defense he has far more games and is .978 in fielding percentage. Not too bad.

I still don't like our history with 3rd basemen. I do like Beltre though

coach
07-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Here is the team that I would want

2B Mark McLemore
DH Michael Young
SS Alex Rodriguez
RF Juan Gonzalez
LF Nelson Cruz
CF Josh Hamilton
3B Adrian Beltre
1B Will Clark
C Pudge

Bench
Mark Derosa
Elvis Andrews
Ian Kinsler
David Dellucci
Rod Barajas

SP
Nolan Ryan
Cliff Lee
Rick Helling
Aaron Selee
Fergeson Jenkins

Relief
C.J. Wilson
Darren Oliver
Ken Hill
Neftali Feliz
John Wetland

CenTexSports
07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I was a hardcore fan and the Rangers sucked back when Jim Sundberg played. I love players that play hard every day and seem to play for the love of the game. Sundberg has always been my favorite Ranger and he will always be the best catcher the team ever had IMO. Pudge had a better bat but he was not better behind the plate.

When Sundberg got the WS win with KC, I sent him a note of congradulations and he responded back with a signed picture. I thought that was pretty classy.

Also, Buddy Bell is by far the best 3rd baseman to play for Texas (Beltre may not be far behind).

coach
07-05-2011, 05:21 PM
I was a hardcore fan and the Rangers sucked back when Jim Sundberg played. I love players that play hard every day and seem to play for the love of the game. Sundberg has always been my favorite Ranger and he will always be the best catcher the team ever had IMO. Pudge had a better bat but he was not better behind the plate.

When Sundberg got the WS win with KC, I sent him a note of congradulations and he responded back with a signed picture. I thought that was pretty classy.

Also, Buddy Bell is by far the best 3rd baseman to play for Texas (Beltre may not be far behind).

pudge's arm is waaay bettter than sunbergs

trojandad
07-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Give me Cliff Lees 3 playoff wins over any no hitter or perfect game.

many people have 3 playoff wins without the wins, no hitters, strikeouts, games played, home runs by a pitcher, 100 mph pitches, robin ventura knuckled heads, doo dah, doo dah......cliff lee might get there some day (doubt it) but hes not a pimple on ryans butt right now......people get so jaded when theyre born into such records, is one of the reasons people like bill russell arent getting the cudos from younger people who were kids while the jordans were getting their records.....if ryan had never thrown one perfect game, or not one no hitter, hed still be ahead of lees performances to date based on his total of one and two hitters....but again, IMHO......

eagles_victory
07-05-2011, 06:16 PM
many people have 3 playoff wins without the wins, no hitters, strikeouts, games played, home runs by a pitcher, 100 mph pitches, robin ventura knuckled heads, doo dah, doo dah......cliff lee might get there some day (doubt it) but hes not a pimple on ryans butt right now......people get so jaded when theyre born into such records, is one of the reasons people like bill russell arent getting the cudos from younger people who were kids while the jordans were getting their records.....if ryan had never thrown one perfect game, or not one no hitter, hed still be ahead of lees performances to date based on his total of one and two hitters....but again, IMHO...... Im talking about as a Ranger... How many Rangers have 3 playoff wins since the franchise had 1 before last year...

Txbroadcaster
07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't remember Buddy Bell, but a little research tells me neither of these guys are great. I remember Buechelle quite well.

Errors
Steve - 66(100 as career)
Buddy - 105(thats a lot of gold gloves for this many errors, must of been bad competition.)

both are above a .970 in put outs. but not by much. It's the hot spot so some errors are to be expected. And yes Dean Palmer hoovered, severely.

When I looked up Errors by the Ranger franchise
Buechelle - 17th
Dean Palmer - 4th
Bell - 5th

Guess who is 3rd Highest:thinking:............Michael Young:doh:

To his defense he has far more games and is .978 in fielding percentage. Not too bad.

I still don't like our history with 3rd basemen. I do like Beltre though

Bell also was top 5 almost every year in put outs assists

young never had more than 100 put outs at 3b..Bell did 6 out of 7 years..

Bell finished first 5 times in Range Factor,..and top 5 EVERY YEAR at 3B

and BTW Buchele's Fielding % is 10th all time lol( which I did not even know lol)

Saggy Aggie
07-05-2011, 07:07 PM
lmao you're going to extreme links with this one

Buckeye1980
07-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Where would Cliff had been if the offense did not score for him. IMO Colbly Lewis had a bigger win to get into the World Series. Is Bengie Molina the best "all-time " catcher becuase he caught more playoff wins than any other Ranger catcher?

bigwood33
07-07-2011, 12:50 PM
lmao you're going to extreme links with this one
I'm familiar with hot links, links golf, chain links, and sausage links but I am unfamiliar with this "extreme links' of which you speak:stirpot:

Cam
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
"Sometime I leeson 1310 The Ticket, sometime I no leeson 1310 The Ticket"....- Juan Gonzalez