PDA

View Full Version : Internet Services Providers

ExScoop
07-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Does any one use Direc TV (Hughes Net) as their internet service provider?

I have been checking their prices and their highest speed package is $89 They also have a mid tier speed for $59.

We are using ELC from Eagle Lake-- It's a radio base (flat terminal) this is mounted from our house-It gets a signal from a tower near a officer building about 1/4 of a mile from us in Hungerford

We have the top seed Gold Package and pay $57.48 per month.
We are supposed getting a download spped of 1024K and a upload speed of 256K

I've done speed tests on speakeasyspeedtest .com and bandwidthplace.com

When I get the tests results they speeds reported don't go very high

It takes forever seems like for some web pages to load-Especially on 3A downlow

DSL is unavailable down here in Hungerford since its a small town. The other other option besides Hughes Net and Wild Blue out of El Campo is a slower old dialup.

you can also get wireless (Verizon) that you plug into your DSL port but they are not very fast here as well-I think the closest tower near us is about 4-5 miles

Our tower computer which is a Windows XP with USB ports won't acccept them to work- I have an Apple I Book G4 and have tried them but connection speeds are realy slow

Sometimes I wish we could live closer to Wharton where we could get DSL

Ranger Mom
07-04-2011, 10:34 PM
My sister in law had Hughes Net and she HATED HATED HATED it!!! It was a fraction of a second faster than dial-up. I remember there was a a certain amount of "something" (I am not computer lingo savvy) that you could use in a 24 hour period, if you used that up then you couldn't get online at all until your 24 hours was up.....she would hardly do anything on the internet and it would shut her down. Their customer service is outsourced to a third world company. She now has Wild Blue, and while it's better, it's still not nearly as fast as the wireless I have through my cable company. At least when she calls Wild Blue, she can actually understand what they are saying.

ExScoop
07-04-2011, 10:39 PM
My sister in law had Hughes Net and she HATED HATED HATED it!!! It was a fraction of a second faster than dial-up. I remember there was a a certain amount of "something" (I am not computer lingo savvy) that you could use in a 24 hour period, if you used that up then you couldn't get online at all until your 24 hours was up.....she would hardly do anything on the internet and it would shut her down. Their customer service is outsourced to a third world company. She now has Wild Blue, and while it's better, it's still not nearly as fast as the wireless I have through my cable company. At least when she calls Wild Blue, she can actually understand what they are saying.

I had Wild Blue out of El Campo for one year. We live in Hungerford and the signal strength was weak and slow. It was also very expensive at thie highest package

We will have to live with ELC when and doubt if if we ever get DSL here in Hungerford