PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Women's World Cup Soccer updates

Phil C
07-03-2011, 05:50 PM
The USA will be in the final 8 with the recent victory over Columbia 3-0. They already beat North Korea 2 -0.

See celebration song below.

You can also scroll down to the picture. Seig Heil!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Rapinoe-celebrates-goal-by-grabbing-mic-and-chan?urn=sow-wp2972

Phil C
07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
USA loses to Sweden for their bracket 2 -1. The USA now has to play Brazil in the quarters. It won't be impossible but for the USA to win it it will be a steep uphill battle probably too steep.

It could have been worse because in added time after 90 minutes Sweden scored an apparent goal that was disallowed by the ref saying they were offside. Replay clearl y shows otherwise and it wasn't even close. A shocking decision indeed.

Phil C
07-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Currently the list of top 4 teams in the World is considered to be 1. USA 2. Germany 3. Brazil and 4. Japan. Other teams are good but were considered outside this group but after what happened with Sweden it shows that the gap is narrowing. In the quarterfinals the next few days it will be USA vs Brazil, Germany vs Japan and Sweden vs Australia and England vs France. That means 2 of the top 4 are eliminated.

The loss to Sweden will be a hopefully wake up call and the USA women will be playing good against Brazil. If the USA can win it and then the semi it could set up a dream match with host Germany. Had the USA beat Sweden they might have met Germany in the semis so maybe the loss will be a blessing in disguise if they start playing as they are capable. We will see so don't lose hope just yet. It is a steep climb but maybe not impossible if we can get by Brazil.

Canada isn't in it and at one time even though not in the top 10 they had been showing potential but haven't reached it. One time powers Norway is not it in either as well as China who played us for the gold in 1999.

Phil C
07-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Japan eliminated host Germany today 1 - 0. This is an upset indeed but a minor one as both teams are ranked in the top 4 teams. Japan makes the semis.

Phil C
07-09-2011, 06:30 PM
France eliminates England as it came down to penalty kicks. France scored 5 - 4 in kicks to advance to the semis. It doesn't get closer than that even though one hates for it to come to that.

coach
07-09-2011, 08:24 PM
two great games today

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Japan eliminated host Germany today 1 - 0. This is an upset indeed but a minor one as both teams are ranked in the top 4 teams. Japan makes the semis.

no this is a MAJOR upset no matter the ranking

eagles_victory
07-10-2011, 08:38 AM
no this is a MAJOR upset no matter the ranking x2

Sweden wins easy today vs the Aussies

hollywood
07-10-2011, 08:50 AM
What time does USA play Brazil?

Txbroadcaster
07-10-2011, 09:11 AM
10 Texas time

coach
07-10-2011, 01:14 PM
WOW, what a game!

Roughneck93
07-10-2011, 01:17 PM
WOW, what a game!

Yes sir! Awesome!

http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/futbol/www.MessenTools.com-emoticones-soccer-futbol-069.gif

hollywood
07-10-2011, 01:20 PM
USA WINS!!! I have to say that the USA has created one of the greatest comebacks ever! Major controversy over the red card, then the free kick blocked by Solo only to give Brazil another chance saying Solo moved from line! Horrible call. Brazil scores!! USA down a player the remainder of regulation sending game into extra time! Brazil scores early with USA playing from behind until the last minute of extra time, USA gets an amazing goal from a header. Goes to penalty kicks. Solo gets a block in free kicks to send USA to semi's!! One of the greatest games in soccer. Brazil was gettin all the breaks.

sahen
07-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Yes sir! Awesome!

http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/futbol/www.MessenTools.com-emoticones-soccer-futbol-069.gif

WOW is pretty much the only way to describe that game...one of the greatest i have seen regardless of sport or sex...simply amazing

sahen
07-10-2011, 01:22 PM
USA WINS!!! I have to say that the USA has created one of the greatest comebacks ever! Major controversy over the red card, then the free kick blocked by Solo only to give Brazil another chance saying Solo moved from line! Horrible call. Brazil scores!! USA down a player the remainder of regulation sending game into extra time! Brazil scores early with USA playing from behind until the last minute of extra time, USA gets an amazing goal from a header. Goes to penalty kicks. Solo gets a block in free kicks to send USA to semi's!! One of the greatest games in soccer. Brazil was gettin all the breaks.

not to mention Brazil's second goal was helped by a missed offsides call....Brazil didn't score a legit goal the whole game...

Roughneck93
07-10-2011, 02:01 PM
What's funny is the stalling that Brazil did in the end came back to bite them. That added three minutes of stoppage time and the end for Brazil.:clap::clap:

Phil C
07-10-2011, 02:12 PM
A great game and a great win indeed for the USA.
Now in the semis it will be Japan vs Sweden on Wednesday and the USA vs France and I don't know when or that one or the times of the games.

Phil C
07-10-2011, 05:47 PM
The USA game in France will be Wednesday at 10:30 A.M. on ESPN and the Japan vs Sweden game will follow at about 1:15 P.M.

Phil C
07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Luis Leon Sanches won the Stage today in a breakway with the main contenders in the pelotoon. The Stage was marred by crashes with this one below being a terrible and one that is not excusable. Watch the French tv car go right into the rider. These drivers are supposed to be professionals and have the safety of the riders as high priority. There is enough danger without the riders having to worry about the drivers. This puts egg on the face of the French officials.

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2011/7/10/2268661/le-tour-stage-9-lulu-wins-crashes-shatter-the-race

hollywood
07-10-2011, 06:54 PM
not to mention Brazil's second goal was helped by a missed offsides call....Brazil didn't score a legit goal the whole game...

Without a doubt! The red card incident was rediculous. Marta fouled the American defender more and got the call. When it was time for PK's to decide the winner, Brazil's goalie moved forward from the line everytime! One of the most undeserving teams that almost got away with a huge one!

FB-fanatic
07-10-2011, 07:32 PM
The "stretcher" scene was hilarious!

roughneck_2008
07-10-2011, 08:38 PM
yea, the brazilian keeper confused me with moving forward everytime, being a goalie i know that u cut the angle down by coming forward but during a pk its pointless. its always easyer to try and read the player, and commit to a side to go to. (like hope solo kept doing). i hated that i had to work today because i missed it, but im glad im off wednesday and will be able to catch the game. go usa

duckhunter
07-10-2011, 08:52 PM
One of the best games I've ever seen. Period. The passion, and athleticism the ladies showed today was awesome. All along I had a feeling they were going to do something special in extra time similar to what the men did last year. Seeing our girls play with such heart and emotion is so powerful. Makes me proud to be an American.

this game drove home the point why "football", "futbol", or "soccer" as some call it is the most exciting game out there. If a person couldn't get emotional and excited watching today's game then they will never appreciate how beautiful the game is.

eagles_victory
07-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Without a doubt! The red card incident was rediculous. Marta fouled the American defender more and got the call. When it was time for PK's to decide the winner, Brazil's goalie moved forward from the line everytime! One of the most undeserving teams that almost got away with a huge one! Honestly those were the right calls except the Brazil goalie did come off the line everytime.

We won that game on heart and desire. I felt like they had a more talented team but Solo and Womback willed our squad to victory. Also, the unsung hero was Megan Rapinoe I felt she was the player of the game for the U.S. she hit so many good balls. She was 5 of 10 on crosses and the rest of the team was 0 for 18. You cant hit a ball any better than she did on the last goal.

eagles_victory
07-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Anyone else notice how Ian Drake had no idea about how much time was left. When they were like at the 115 mark he kept saying this is likely the U.S.'s last chance I kept thinking there is still like 5 minutes left plus stoppage time.

sahen
07-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Anyone else notice how Ian Drake had no idea about how much time was left. When they were like at the 115 mark he kept saying this is likely the U.S.'s last chance I kept thinking there is still like 5 minutes left plus stoppage time.

it was the lady announcer that kept doing that...he just didnt correct her after she did it several times...even during the normal game when they were in the 75th minute she kept going on about 25 minutes left until he finally corrected her...guess he didn't want to seem like an arse doing it in overtime as well...

eagles_victory
07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
it was the lady announcer that kept doing that...he just didnt correct her after she did it several times...even during the normal game when they were in the 75th minute she kept going on about 25 minutes left until he finally corrected her...guess he didn't want to seem like an arse doing it in overtime as well...No he kept doing it bad in extra time.

BaseballUmp
07-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I have realized that I can not watch soccer. Every time I do, the US looks bad. Then I find out we win.

Phil C
07-11-2011, 08:26 AM
The "stretcher" scene was hilarious!

Talk about a fast recovery! :)

Phil C
07-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Fox Soccer did a survey on the MVP of the USA vs Brazil game and of course Hope Solo won with Aby Wamback a distance second. I agree with the results but one they left off for consideration was Magan Rapinoe who made the critical difficult pass to Abby for that goal just before the end of the game. MVP no but definitely should have been considered. Without that pass the USA team would probably be coming home today.

hollywood
07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Fox Soccer did a survey on the MVP of the USA vs Brazil game and of course Hope Solo won with Aby Wamback a distance second. I agree with the results but one they left off for consideration was Magan Rapinoe who made the critical difficult pass to Abby for that goal just before the end of the game. MVP no but definitely should have been considered. Without that pass the USA team would probably be coming home today.

I totally agree! Rapinoe made mutliple crosses from corners and from the wing that were unbelievable. Obviously the last one was perfect. She's been playing a level higher after being left out of the starting lineup for the WC. Great team player!

Old LB
07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I totally agree! Rapinoe made mutliple crosses from corners and from the wing that were unbelievable. Obviously the last one was perfect. She's been playing a level higher after being left out of the starting lineup for the WC. Great team player!

She was not having a great day yesterday until she made that last cross. She is a normally pretty good but I was questioning that sub until she made the assist.

hollywood
07-11-2011, 11:24 AM
She was not having a great day yesterday until she made that last cross. She is a normally pretty good but I was questioning that sub until she made the assist. Oh I dissagree. She was one of the few players that was on target... the receiving players just didn't get a foot or a head on the ball for the most part.

Old LB
07-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Oh I dissagree. She was one of the few players that was on target... the receiving players just didn't get a foot or a head on the ball for the most part.

She was giving the ball away a lot and having a hard time keeping pace with the Brazilians. Not that it matters now but I just wasn't impressed with her overall performance. She had it when it counted so that's the important part I guess.

eagles_victory
07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
She was giving the ball away a lot and having a hard time keeping pace with the Brazilians. Not that it matters now but I just wasn't impressed with her overall performance. She had it when it counted so that's the important part I guess. A lot of players had trouble keeping pace with the Brazilian players. But she gave the U.S a complete new dimension to the offense.

Phil C
07-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I wonder why they were booing Marta at the beginning of the game. I could see later on maybe but the fans and not just the USA fans were booing her at the start and later the entire Brazilian team.

Phil C
07-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Right now regarding the overall contenders for the yellow jersey I think it is narrowed down. Remember anything can happen such as a crash and injury, a bad race, etc. and things can change quickly. Right now Voeckler is leading followed by Sanchez but neither one is considered an overall contender.

The Pre Tour favorite Alberto is behind the following contenders: Cadel Evens 1'41", Frank Schleck 1'38", Andy Schleck 1'30" and Tony Martin 1'29". Of those Martin to me is a long shot. Alberto is a better time trial rider than the others but he must close the gap. Cadel is good on the mountains but not in the time trial but you never know because sometimes depending on what place you are going into the time trial you might ride the ride of your life with that motivation.
The two Schleck brothers I feel are his main competition and they will be helping each other with their great team. I still think Andy is the one to challenge. Last year Alberto beat him by 31 seconds in the time trial but this year the time trial is a few miles shorter which is to Andy's advantage. Plus Andy has improved each year in the time trial race. I think if Andy is still at least 30 seconds going into the time trial he will win barring a crash of course.
If any contenders' were in Alberto's spot I would say they would not have a chance to win but Contador is one of the World's best and can't be counted out. I think he will have to make a serious move and when he does it will depend on if he can get away from the Schleck brothers. It will be interesting and anything can happen. Advantage right now is to the Schleck brothers and Cadel Evans.

Get ready for excitement starting Tuesday for three brutal mountain stages. I think that the first day they will basically stay together but after that look out!
The longer Contador waits to make his move though the better it is for the other contenders. Enjoy!

BEAST
07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Right now regarding the overall contenders for the yellow jersey I think it is narrowed down. Remember anything can happen such as a crash and injury, a bad race, etc. and things can change quickly. Right now Voeckler is leading followed by Sanchez but neither one is considered an overall contender.

The Pre Tour favorite Alberto is behind the following contenders: Cadel Evens 1'41", Frank Schleck 1'38", Andy Schleck 1'30" and Tony Martin 1'29". Of those Martin to me is a long shot. Alberto is a better time trial rider than the others but he must close the gap. Cadel is good on the mountains but not in the time trial but you never know because sometimes depending on what place you are going into the time trial you might ride the ride of your life with that motivation.
The two Schleck brothers I feel are his main competition and they will be helping each other with their great team. I still think Andy is the one to challenge. Last year Alberto beat him by 31 seconds in the time trial but this year the time trial is a few miles shorter which is to Andy's advantage. Plus Andy has improved each year in the time trial race. I think if Andy is still at least 30 seconds going into the time trial he will win barring a crash of course.
If any contenders' were in Alberto's spot I would say they would not have a chance to win but Contador is one of the World's best and can't be counted out. I think he will have to make a serious move and when he does it will depend on if he can get away from the Schleck brothers. It will be interesting and anything can happen. Advantage right now is to the Schleck brothers and Cadel Evans.

Get ready for excitement starting Tuesday for three brutal mountain stages. I think that the first day they will basically stay together but after that look out!
The longer Contador waits to make his move though the better it is for the other contenders. Enjoy!

Wrong thread maybe???

BEAST

BaseballUmp
07-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Sir I will ask you to refrain from posting such absurd comments as these

hollywood
07-11-2011, 05:19 PM
A lot of players had trouble keeping pace with the Brazilian players. But she gave the U.S a complete new dimension to the offense.

That's a great point. A new "spark plug" if you will.

hollywood
07-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I wonder why they were booing Marta at the beginning of the game. I could see later on maybe but the fans and not just the USA fans were booing her at the start and later the entire Brazilian team.

Because she's regarded as the most talented female soccer player in the world but doesn't play like it, at least from a sportsmanship side of the game. Lacks class. Everyone from Brazil should follow Pele's style, humbled extraordinary.

BaseballUmp
07-11-2011, 05:25 PM
I thought women in Brazil were supposed to be beautiful with big butts...apparently those don't play soccer because those girls were ugly

eagles_victory
07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
That's a great point. A new "spark plug" if you will. I thought Brazil made a lot of huge mistakes yesterday that really opened the door for us that also helped with that.

Txbroadcaster
07-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I thought Brazil made a lot of huge mistakes yesterday that really opened the door for us that also helped with that.

The game basically showed what these two teams are style and attitude wise

Brazil some of the best pure talent and at times they played well together..but they are so disjointed and at times get down on each other and have long stretches of not playing as a team

The US..great team play, talent is good but not great..for their attack to work it takes the team work and good flow from their forwards..but they also never seem to get down or get frustrates...Like their coach said..she is from Sweden and this American attitude of the team is really infectious

eagles_victory
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
The game basically showed what these two teams are style and attitude wise

Brazil some of the best pure talent and at times they played well together..but they are so disjointed and at times get down on each other and have long stretches of not playing as a team

The US..great team play, talent is good but not great..for their attack to work it takes the team work and good flow from their forwards..but they also never seem to get down or get frustrates...Like their coach said..she is from Sweden and this American attitude of the team is really infectious I agree once they tied the game we dominated the flow when it was 10 on 11 for pretty much the next 30 minutes until extra time. Then after Marta (who has to be the G.O.A.T. in womens soccer) scored it seemed like they were content to just hold on and let us dominate the pace of the game. Whatever the case may be Im just glad we are moving on. I think France will be much more difficult than most people expect (hope Im Wrong)

FB-fanatic
07-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I work for a French company in Waco and traveled in France on business. Women's soccer in France is much less popular than here in the USA. I think we will dominate on Wednesday.

eagles_victory
07-12-2011, 02:08 AM
I work for a French company in Waco and traveled in France on business. Women's soccer in France is much less popular than here in the USA. I think we will dominate on Wednesday. Is that possible the sport has been relevant in this country twice 99 and now.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Man women's soccer in the USA (and perhaps even men's soccer) has really stirred up a lot of interest in the USA just like in 1999. I feel that even though it was a great game with Brazil to maximize the interest the USA must continue to win the next two games to keep the momemtum going or bye bye interest.

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Is that possible the sport has been relevant in this country twice 99 and now.

while it has only been big twice here in US to the main population..the federation itself has deep pockets and done a great job of building since back in 91. There is a hardcore fanbase( maybe bigger than the guys)

eagles_victory
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
while it has only been big twice here in US to the main population..the federation itself has deep pockets and done a great job of building since back in 91. There is a hardcore fanbase( maybe bigger than the guys) I disagree with that totally way more Mens fans in South Africa than Womens fans in Germany this year.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Today on ESPN the semis between the USA and France start at 10:30 A.M. and afterward on the same channel at about 1:15 P.M. the other semi game between Japan and Sweden will be shown. The two losers will play for third place on Saturday on ESPN2 at 10 A.M. while the championship game will be on Sunday on ESPN at 1 P.M.

This would have been a good day to stay at home. First the Tour De France Stage 11 is now showing on Versus then right after the stage the soccer game will be starting followed by another soccer game.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 10:44 AM
The game with France has just started. Let's hope the USA can keep winning. I think they are the best team of the final four but anything can happen. One extra advantage is that the host Germans have adopted them as their favorites since Germany has been eliminated and that is a big help. I still don't think our team has yet played as good as they are capable but they seem to have been improving each game and hopefully today it will be enough. If the game is very close or we ahead at halftime we will be at an advantage because I think France wants to get ahead early in the game. Let's hope we continue to play on Sunday and not Saturday.

GO USA!

eagles_victory
07-13-2011, 10:47 AM
The game with France has just started. \
GO USA! Game doesnt start until 11.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Game doesnt start until 11.

Right you are eagles and the coverage and pregame talk started at 10:30. Let's hope our women play their best because I really think it is more our game to lose than France's to win but you never know with soccer. We are fortunate because we have one of the best if not the best goalies in the World in Hope Solo and a good goalie can keep you close even though you still have to score. Plus our players are more experienced than France's and that can help in a close game at the end. Still if we let France score early and get fired up with confidence that could be a bad factor.

GO USA!

eagles_victory
07-13-2011, 11:08 AM
1-0 USA. We didnt start off well but just got a nice goal.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
That is great to be ahead but we still need to keep scoring. Above all we need to play good defense. GO USA!

mwynn05
07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
missed an opportunity to put them away just now

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
1-0 USA. We didnt start off well but just got a nice goal.

France is dominating possesion...but leaving counter attacks open with them bringing back line so far up

Phil C
07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
I hope we can get at least a couple of more goals. This is by no means over so come on Ladies. Get some more goals.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 11:32 AM
France is dominating possesion...but leaving counter attacks open with them bringing back line so far up

Sometimes that works but it can backfire on you and leave yourself vernable to counter attacks. This may be needed later in the game but it sure seems early to try it. Come on USA! Take Advantage!

eagles_victory
07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
France is playing well good to see us flipping momentum back towards the end of this first half.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 11:49 AM
USA ahead 1 - 0 at the half. A good start but I wish we could have got one more. I think we have a good chance but we must keep playing good defense and hopefully get at least one more (better yet 2) insurance goal. GO USA!

eagleqb_14
07-13-2011, 11:57 AM
USA 1-0 france at the half! keep it going usa

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2011, 12:14 PM
France ties it..US Midfield is playing terrible

eagles_victory
07-13-2011, 12:17 PM
France ties it..US Midfield is playing terrible I cant believe what Im seeing.

eagleqb_14
07-13-2011, 12:35 PM
usa!!!!! 2-1

sahen
07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
im not watching the game cause im at work but wow the gametracker looks ridiculous...france appears to have just been peppering us with shots...somehow we are still tied though.....all it takes is one big play here at the end to win the game...

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Wambuach with the header off corner US leads 2-1

sahen
07-13-2011, 12:38 PM
gametracker is behind...surprise...but there is the one play, now just hold on

Txbroadcaster
Morgan with an amazing shot 3-1 now

eagleqb_14
usa usa! 3-1

sahen
07-13-2011, 12:40 PM
wow...talk about going for the throat...when is the final?

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Difference in this game IMO was France subbing in a forward for a CB position...it opened up the lanes for the US

Roughneck93
07-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Awesome!! Looking real good right now.

sahen
07-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Difference in this game IMO was France subbing in a forward for a CB position...it opened up the lanes for the US

seems like a weird strategy considering how many shots they were getting...guess they got impatient...according to game tracker they have outshot us 27-9 with a couple mins left....that is an insane advantage...they shouldve just switched forwards as they obviously need someone that can finish better

eagleqb_14
07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
USA USA USA!!!!!! bring it home girls!!!! final 3-1

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2011, 12:49 PM
seems like a weird strategy considering how many shots they were getting...guess they got impatient...according to game tracker they have outshot us 27-9 with a couple mins left....that is an insane advantage...they shouldve just switched forwards as they obviously need someone that can finish better

alot of their "shots" were outside the box easy stops for Solo..France is like a fastbreak Bball team..they will take a ton of shots hoping something goes in

eagles_victory
07-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Difference in this game IMO was France subbing in a forward for a CB position...it opened up the lanes for the US Megan Repione coming in also made a big difference in the game imo. Plus Im a huge Alex Morgan homer but having her in instead of Rodriguez is such a huge difference. Rodriguez hasnt given us anything.

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Megan Repione coming in also made a big difference in the game imo. Plus Im a huge Alex Morgan homer but having her in instead of Rodriguez is such a huge difference. Rodriguez hasnt given us anything.

i agree..I think Morgan should start final unless fitness is an issue since she has not played a full 90...Morgan IMO is the future of the program..she has all of the ability and style to be a world class striker

sahen
07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
alot of their "shots" were outside the box easy stops for Solo..France is like a fastbreak Bball team..they will take a ton of shots hoping something goes in

ah ok...gametracker doesnt show the quality of the chance...just if they took a shot or not...does say that Solo got 6 saves though...putting 7 of 27 shots on goal isnt that great....in the end USA put 5 of 12 on goal

Roughneck93
07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Congrats Ladies!! http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/futbol/www.MessenTools.com-emoticones-soccer-futbol-097.gif

eagles_victory
07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
i agree..I think Morgan should start final unless fitness is an issue since she has not played a full 90...Morgan IMO is the future of the program..she has all of the ability and style to be a world class striker Repinoe and Morgan make this team so much better. Alex does have the total package speed, smarts, finishing ability, hott. I just feel as if she has been playing a little nervous at times. Rodriguez just gives us next to nothing out there.

mwynn05
07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Alex Morgan becoming a star would be great for US women's soccer. Her looks would garner lots of attention

Farmersfan
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Repinoe and Morgan make this team so much better. Alex does have the total package speed, smarts, finishing ability, hott. I just feel as if she has been playing a little nervous at times. Rodriguez just gives us next to nothing out there.

So "hott" is part of the package that makes this woman a great soccer player and makes the team so much better??? :iagree:

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Repinoe and Morgan make this team so much better. Alex does have the total package speed, smarts, finishing ability, hott. I just feel as if she has been playing a little nervous at times. Rodriguez just gives us next to nothing out there.

rapoine IMO has found her place off the bench..to many times in the qualifying round she played TERRIBLE..not just bad.. which led to the change..But I think put her on outside and Cheney in midfield would be smart for finals

and hey I said 3-1 last night lol

eagles_victory
07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
So "hott" is part of the package that makes this woman a great soccer player and makes the team so much better??? :iagree: She is the reason I watch WPS lol. Alex Morgan puts Western New York on the same level as the Cowboys well maybe not that much.

ExScoop
07-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Forgot all about the game until 20 minutes ago-ESPN showed highlights during halftime of the Japana-Sweden gema

They will re broadcast USA game later today on ESPN 2-So I'lll be able to watch it

Will definitely watch the championshiop on Sunday after I get home from church

eagles_victory
07-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Forgot all about the game until 20 minutes ago-ESPN showed highlights during halftime of the Japana-Sweden gema

They will re broadcast USA game later today on ESPN 2-So I'lll be able to watch it

Will definitely watch the championshiop on Sunday after I get home from church Its on now

Phil C
07-13-2011, 09:00 PM
The championship game with Japan will be this Sunday on ESPN starting at 1 P.M. It should be a good one and we need to be at our best. Japan has really played good. Plus they are still mad at us for WW2. Scary times indeed!

Phil C
07-15-2011, 04:01 PM
More exciting news is that President Obama has been invited to attend the game Sunday which would inspire the American ladies. Let's hope he makes it. Please go to the game Mr. President!

Excitement indeed!

eagles_victory
07-15-2011, 04:41 PM
More exciting news is that President Obama has been invited to attend the game Sunday which would inspire the American ladies. Let's hope he makes it. Please go to the game Mr. President!

Excitement indeed! That socialist will probably be going for Japan.

hollywood
07-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Team USA is playing for their country and their fans and are inspired more so by those two than any one person.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 07:43 AM
A reminder that the final championship will be on ESPN tomorrow (Sunday) at 1 P.M.
Today they are having the third place game at 10 A.M. on ESPN2 between France and Sweden.
I may be wrong but I imagine these two teams would just as soon not have to play this game
even though it will probably be a good one.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 10:59 AM
The teams are playing and doing well so there is pride at stake. At the 28 min mark Sweden scores first to lead 1 - 0.
France is agressive but as with the game with the USA they play up and Sweden took advantage to get the first goal.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
It is halftime with the same score. Both teams have had chances but Sweden is the one ahead. Sweden had a great chance to go up two goals as once again France plays up and the Swedes got behind them with a great chance to score but the French goalie was just in the right place at the right time.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 11:43 AM
At about the 56 min mark France ties it up at 1-1.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Same score with 15 minutes left in regulation. This game could be decided by the officials as they gave a Swedish player a red card. It looks to me that it was unfair but now France has an advantage of playing 11 players against 10. The red card wasn't justified in my opinion or if they gave one they should have given one to both the French and Swedish player but the French player must have done a convincing flop.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 12:09 PM
A fantastic goal gives Sweden the lead 2 - 1 as they take advantage of a corner kick. Once again the refs figure in of course because it should have been a goal kick and not a corner kick. A marred game but oh well.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Sweden wins 2 - 1 for third place. France had their chances and Sweden got away with a hand ball near their own goal near the end but the refs missed it of course. A very poorly officiated game with horrible calls and non-calls. The only compliment one can give these refs is that they were consistently bad both ways. Hopefully we won't see any of them officiating tomorrow's game.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Japan has to be favored tomorrow. :(
Japan beat this Swedish team 3 - 1 while Sweden beat USA 2 - 1. That means Japan will have to be favored by at least three goals. Scary times indeed!

Phil C
07-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Of course what might help is if the President comes to the game to help inspire our players.
Please Mr. President!

ExScoop
07-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Will probably miss tomorrow's game since it's a church day and then we go out to eat.Time we get home it will be after 2 p.m.-Will have to DVR it

Phil C
07-17-2011, 11:52 AM
The President can't come but he has sent a delegation in his place and his support. He is working on the US Debt issue.

Game starts soon. GO USA!

eagles_victory
07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Abby and Hope have been waiting for four years for this no way they are denied.

Phil C
07-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Abby and Hope have been waiting for four years for this no way they are denied.

I agree that if the USA plays as good as they are capable they will win. But in soccer you never know. One costly mistake or bad call by the officials can cost you the game.

eagles_victory
07-17-2011, 01:33 PM
I agree that if the USA plays as good as they are capable they will win. But in soccer you never know. One costly mistake or bad call by the officials can cost you the game. I KNOW we will win no questions

mwynn05
07-17-2011, 01:55 PM
we look like clearly the better team thus far

Phil C
07-17-2011, 02:09 PM
we look like clearly the better team thus far

Remember in soccer that the better team doesn't always win which is why there is so much passion in it. Japan is playing not only for their nation but victims of natural disasters. Plus they are still mad about WW2. Scary times indeed mwy!

Phil C
07-17-2011, 02:12 PM
We just missed a good chance to score right there. :(

eagles_victory
07-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Can't believe we gave up that goal.

ExScoop
07-17-2011, 04:25 PM
USA chokes

jason
07-17-2011, 04:27 PM
looked like they played not to lose...

Roughneck93
07-17-2011, 04:30 PM
looked like they played not to lose...

Yeah...especially after taking the lead both times. Seems like they became conservative.

eagles_victory
07-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah...especially after taking the lead both times. Seems like they became conservative. Yea choke is overused in sports but that was a choke. Solo wasn't very good at all today either. Morgan was amazing I have to question not starting her with so many missed opportunities early on.

Txbroadcaster
07-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Yea choke is overused in sports but that was a choke. Solo wasn't very good at all today either. Morgan was amazing I have to question not starting her with so many missed opportunities early on.

Neither one of those goals were Solo's fault IMO..I thought she was very aggresive off the line to kill some thru ball chances for Japan.

Today the US simply got done to them what they had done to Brazil and lesser extent France..they allowed Japan to score a fluke goal and a set piece simple as that

Phil C
07-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Well a missed opportunity here. Well soccer goes back to oblivion as far as USA is concerned. It won't be the same but maybe we can do better in the Olympics next year.

Phil C
07-17-2011, 07:12 PM
President Obama should have showed up. It might have inspired to get one more goal and win it. Well another thing we can blame the President for. ;)

Saggy Aggie
07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
choke.

eagles_victory
07-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Neither one of those goals were Solo's fault IMO..I thought she was very aggresive off the line to kill some thru ball chances for Japan.

Today the US simply got done to them what they had done to Brazil and lesser extent France..they allowed Japan to score a fluke goal and a set piece simple as that There is no denying what happened in PKs was a downright disaterous choke.

Farmersfan
07-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Japan was a non-factor in the soccer world until they got the (man in women's clothes) goaltender. And what a job she did! But this loss is nothing more than a complete and utter choke by the Americans. At one point the shots were 18-5 in favor of the Americans and most of those were great opportunities that were shanked. I have never seen so many bad shots on goal by a professional team. It was a great win for Japan and we all know that country needed something good to happen for them. Congrats to them.

Phil C
07-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Japan was a non-factor in the soccer world until they got the (man in women's clothes) goaltender. And what a job she did! But this loss is nothing more than a complete and utter choke by the Americans. At one point the shots were 18-5 in favor of the Americans and most of those were great opportunities that were shanked. I have never seen so many bad shots on goal by a professional team. It was a great win for Japan and we all know that country needed something good to happen for them. Congrats to them.

Let's not forget what we have also had lately though. Tornatoes, blizzards and out of control fires. Plus we are just now about to enter into the most dangerous time of hurricane season.

Phil C
07-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Another tragedy about the loss is that we may have missed making soccer fans out of 66 and others who post that don't like soccer. A win would no doubt have had a good chance to win them over. Sad times indeed. :(

Phil C
07-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Also what is sad is that this team was wanting to build it's own legacy instead of the great 1999 but unfortunately they failed while the 1999 team succeeded. Worse yet it may be a long time in the World Cup before we ever have that great feeling again when we won in 1999. France and Sweden gave us tough games and they are both young rising teams. We had the veteran team but some of them start to age in four years and I don't know if we have talented younger players coming. Japan has now extablished themselves as a power and Brazil is tough as is powerhouse Germany. And don't forget China may be back.
Not a promising future for the USA in women's soccer and it has been hurt by blowing this game.

hollywood
07-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Not a promising future for US women's soccer?? You have to be kidding PhilC.The US was an inch here or there from winning it all. They were in the finals and your acting like they didn't even make it out of pool play. They captivated the world and will continue to do so. They have a great young star in Alex Morgan to build around. US women's soccer is in a great spot to continue it's greatness in the Olympics next year and build for the future of World Cup 2015! There are more young girls playing soccer than ever before in the history of US soccer and I see the future very bright for womens soccer in the USA. Glass is more full than empty my friend.

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2011, 11:00 AM
It is hard for me to say a team chokes in soccer..As Grant Wahl said Better team loses in soccer more than in other sports.

eagles_victory
07-18-2011, 01:22 PM
It is hard for me to say a team chokes in soccer..As Grant Wahl said Better team loses in soccer more than in other sports. Choke definition to me is buckling under the pressure of the moment and you can't tell me pressure didn't have something to do with those PKs we took.

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Not trying to be too negative but.....the choking happened with 8 minutes left in regulation and 6 minutes left in overtime period, not being able to clear the ball. After that they had 0 momentum.

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I think the PK is up for debate as a choke moment..the two goals no..clearing confusion happens all the time..on that first goal bad luck that when Buehler was clearing after fighting to get up it went right to Lloyd..if Lloyd is not there ball at least goes back out the box and a chance to reset.

The corner goal was just what it is..bad bounce as it looked like Solo was in position to block it but the ball deflected just enough off Wambach

Farmersfan
07-18-2011, 03:48 PM
I think the PK is up for debate as a choke moment..the two goals no..clearing confusion happens all the time..on that first goal bad luck that when Buehler was clearing after fighting to get up it went right to Lloyd..if Lloyd is not there ball at least goes back out the box and a chance to reset.

The corner goal was just what it is..bad bounce as it looked like Solo was in position to block it but the ball deflected just enough off Wambach

The Americans should have won this game 3-1 or worst. Even Wambach had a wide open goal set up perfectly and she couldn't kick it in the net. Even the commentators commented that it should have been a header instead on her feet. That's ridiculous! This is professional soccer. These are suppose to be the best in this country and they missed so many shots on goal that went over the net, wide left or wide right.

BEAST
07-18-2011, 03:50 PM
The Americans should have won this game 3-1 or worst. Even Wambach had a wide open goal set up perfectly and she couldn't kick it in the net. Even the commentators commented that it should have been a header instead on her feet. That's ridiculous! This is professional soccer. These are suppose to be the best in this country and they missed so many shots on goal that went over the net, wide left or wide right.

If you have never been around soccer much, its hard for some people to understand. Sometimes, the ball will not go in the dang net no matter how hard you try. If these 2 teams played again today, I venture to say the outcome would be way different. Soccer is just that way.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2011, 03:51 PM

actually most felt going into the WWC Kaihori would be a weakness..she has a rep of misplaying crosses and bad hands..Japan was ranked 4th not because of her..they did a great job protecting her this WWC and she stepped up big in shoot out

I have to ask FF when did u start watching this WWC? You see the group stage? Because the US did the same thing in group as they did in final, get a ton of chances but not finish...that was a weakness going in, not alot of true finishers with their foot on this team outside of Morgan and that is why both EV and I have said the whole tourney she needs to play more because this team lacked skill around the box.

They did not choke those many shots, they just reverted back to their true form of using athleticism to get into position but lacking the skill to finish them.

eagles_victory
07-18-2011, 05:51 PM
actually most felt going into the WWC Kaihori would be a weakness..she has a rep of misplaying crosses and bad hands..Japan was ranked 4th not because of her..they did a great job protecting her this WWC and she stepped up big in shoot out

I have to ask FF when did u start watching this WWC? You see the group stage? Because the US did the same thing in group as they did in final, get a ton of chances but not finish...that was a weakness going in, not alot of true finishers with their foot on this team outside of Morgan and that is why both EV and I have said the whole tourney she needs to play more because this team lacked skill around the box.

They did not choke those many shots, they just reverted back to their true form of using athleticism to get into position but lacking the skill to finish them. One thing I hate about World Cups too many people that wouldn't know a soccer ball from one of their balls trying to comment and rip the players... smh... What did you think about Pia's Pk order I think she kind of set up the players to be in a position to fail. I nearly had a stroke when Tobin Heath walked up there.

duckhunter
07-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Also what is sad is that this team was wanting to build it's own legacy instead of the great 1999 but unfortunately they failed while the 1999 team succeeded. Worse yet it may be a long time in the World Cup before we ever have that great feeling again when we won in 1999. France and Sweden gave us tough games and they are both young rising teams. We had the veteran team but some of them start to age in four years and I don't know if we have talented younger players coming. Japan has now extablished themselves as a power and Brazil is tough as is powerhouse Germany. And don't forget China may be back.
Not a promising future for the USA in women's soccer and it has been hurt by blowing this game.

To say this USA team was a "veteran" team might be a stretch. The majority of this team will remain for the next world cup and even after that. Rampone and Boxx are the two big names who mostly likely will call it quits after the Olympics. Abby W. might be back for the next WC, but its hard to say now......With that being said Cheney and Alex Morgan are only 22 and they clearly showed the world their ability to put the ball in goal. Speaking of goal Hope Solo is only 29 and she is just now entering the prime of her career. With her in goal and the likes of Morgan, Rapinoe, O'Reilly, Lloyd,etc on the pitch I feel just fine. This team is only gunna get better....

Txbroadcaster
07-19-2011, 08:14 AM
One thing I hate about World Cups too many people that wouldn't know a soccer ball from one of their balls trying to comment and rip the players... smh... What did you think about Pia's Pk order I think she kind of set up the players to be in a position to fail. I nearly had a stroke when Tobin Heath walked up there.

IMO the two big mistakes Pia did was taking out megan rapinoe and then the PK order

I know some people want to back end the PK order..I dont..I want my best PK front side..try to close it out as quick as possible

Txbroadcaster
07-19-2011, 08:34 AM
To say this USA team was a "veteran" team might be a stretch. The majority of this team will remain for the next world cup and even after that. Rampone and Boxx are the two big names who mostly likely will call it quits after the Olympics. Abby W. might be back for the next WC, but its hard to say now......With that being said Cheney and Alex Morgan are only 22 and they clearly showed the world their ability to put the ball in goal. Speaking of goal Hope Solo is only 29 and she is just now entering the prime of her career. With her in goal and the likes of Morgan, Rapinoe, O'Reilly, Lloyd,etc on the pitch I feel just fine. This team is only gunna get better....

Big thing the US needs to do is become more skilled..and i think Morgan helps that x1000...she will be one of the next superstars of womens soccer..but even in the midfield, this team was terrible on first touch and terrible in build up..seems almost all their goals come from scrambled plays..need to see more of the Rapione to Morgan over the top thru ball with the brilliant one touch finish.

Farmersfan
07-19-2011, 08:44 AM
One thing I hate about World Cups too many people that wouldn't know a soccer ball from one of their balls trying to comment and rip the players... smh... What did you think about Pia's Pk order I think she kind of set up the players to be in a position to fail. I nearly had a stroke when Tobin Heath walked up there.

Well of course the people who don't share your opinion obviously don't know anything about soccer! :crazy:

Farmersfan
07-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Big thing the US needs to do is become more skilled..and i think Morgan helps that x1000...she will be one of the next superstars of womens soccer..but even in the midfield, this team was terrible on first touch and terrible in build up..seems almost all their goals come from scrambled plays..need to see more of the Rapione to Morgan over the top thru ball with the brilliant one touch finish.

Seemed to me the US dominated Japan in skill and athleticism. Like you said earlier, they just didn't finish on their numerous opportunities.

Txbroadcaster
07-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Seemed to me the US dominated Japan in skill and athleticism. Like you said earlier, they just didn't finish on their numerous opportunities.

they dominated with athleticism, but not skill...even with the chances the US had, Japan controlled possesion.

hollywood
07-19-2011, 12:15 PM
they dominated with athleticism, but not skill...even with the chances the US had, Japan controlled possesion.

I disagree with part of that post. Even though Japan edged USA on time of possession 53% vs 47%, the US had twice as many corners (US 8: JPN 4) and almost twice as many shots on goal (US 27: JPN 14). US was more skilled and controlled the ball the majority of the game, just not the last third where it really counted. Like someone had mentioned earlier, once the US got ahead, it appeared they played to not lose rather than to win. In any athletic event on any given day where a ball is played, some days no matter how hard you try to make that ball do what you want it to, it just doesn't. And the harder you try, the harder it is. I think most of the world knows that the US team were the better and more skilled team that didn't get the win.

eagles_victory
07-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Well of course the people who don't share your opinion obviously don't know anything about soccer! :crazy: No because you obviously have 0 clue what you are talking about is why you know nothing.

eagles_victory
07-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Big thing the US needs to do is become more skilled..and i think Morgan helps that x1000...she will be one of the next superstars of womens soccer..but even in the midfield, this team was terrible on first touch and terrible in build up..seems almost all their goals come from scrambled plays..need to see more of the Rapione to Morgan over the top thru ball with the brilliant one touch finish. I agree in the knockout round we had 7 goals. 2 were deflections, 2 were Wambach getting on the end of long crosses (honestly France and Brazil made huge mistakes on both plays), Morgan against France was a pretty skilled play and her assist to Wambach was an extremely skilled play,you could even argue we were lucky on Morgans first goal against Japan to complete such a long pass for Morgan to finish. I guess the point Im making is really only the Morgan goal vs France and her setup of Wambach against Japan were really the only creative and smooth goals.

Like you said the biggest problem was the touch I remeber tweeting in the France game how horrible our first touch was. Brazil's first touch was so much better than ours and so was France to be honest Brazil was by far the most skilled team in the tournament. Biggest thing between now and the Olympics is the midfield has to get better with touch and skilled dribbling their inability to do that is why Brazil and France controlled possession a lot in the game. I don't think the finishing is as big of an issue is Farmersfan is making 1. because if you watch a lot of soccer you know that any game you can back and say that there are a handful of goals that were left on the table. 2. It is not that easy to kick a soccer ball you aren't going to make every good shot you have a chance to shoot just like basketball. If you never played soccer at an older age you don't realize how much skill it takes.

Txbroadcaster
07-19-2011, 03:24 PM
I disagree with part of that post. Even though Japan edged USA on time of possession 53% vs 47%, the US had twice as many corners (US 8: JPN 4) and almost twice as many shots on goal (US 27: JPN 14). US was more skilled and controlled the ball the majority of the game, just not the last third where it really counted. Like someone had mentioned earlier, once the US got ahead, it appeared they played to not lose rather than to win. In any athletic event on any given day where a ball is played, some days no matter how hard you try to make that ball do what you want it to, it just doesn't. And the harder you try, the harder it is. I think most of the world knows that the US team were the better and more skilled team that didn't get the win.

YEs the US had more chances..but when I mean skill..the US did not link together alot of passes...There was not one real build up or thru ball I remeber in the first half...the chances usually one players bringing ball up either passing to someone who took a shot, or that player taking it. The US possesing it was alot of side passes and back passes..Japan could have their CB pass to midfield who would then slide it to side and then a thru ball to a striker..that is linking up your passes...The US rarely if at all did that with exception of a couple of plays( Morgan goal)

hollywood
07-19-2011, 04:15 PM
YEs the US had more chances..but when I mean skill..the US did not link together alot of passes...There was not one real build up or thru ball I remeber in the first half...the chances usually one players bringing ball up either passing to someone who took a shot, or that player taking it. The US possesing it was alot of side passes and back passes..Japan could have their CB pass to midfield who would then slide it to side and then a thru ball to a striker..that is linking up your passes...The US rarely if at all did that with exception of a couple of plays( Morgan goal)

The US linked a lot of passes together... Rapinoe had fantastic touch and found passing lanes by creating space in the midfield on numerous possessions. We can sit here and break down the game all day but it really boiled down to one main breakdown... the US played a little sloppy on defense on 2 occassions back by their own goal that gave Japan their 2 goals. Japan didn't create those shots and it defenitely wasn't because Japan out skilled the US to do so.

duckhunter
07-19-2011, 04:17 PM

You must not watch much of USWNT soccer because that has been their style of play forever. They have never been a team to control possession like a Spain, or Barcelona on the mens side, or a Japan type team on the womens side. They have always been the kind of team to sit back on defense and then use their size to play balls over the top and make long runs on the counter attack to score goals. Only until recently (the past couple of years) has the women's game shifted to more of the mens style in the way in which the ball is possessed and passed around.....Once Pia took over she said she wanted to change the US's style of play more to that fashion, however with this team it still played alot of old school American women's soccer by sitting back on defense and scoring on the counter. In the game against Japan though they showed in the first half their ability to control possession and create their own scoring chances with their strikers making runs in the box and playing nice balls in.

Txbroadcaster
07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
You must not watch much of USWNT soccer because that has been their style of play forever. They have never been a team to control possession like a Spain, or Barcelona on the mens side, or a Japan type team on the womens side. They have always been the kind of team to sit back on defense and then use their size to play balls over the top and make long runs on the counter attack to score goals. Only until recently (the past couple of years) has the women's game shifted to more of the mens style in the way in which the ball is possessed and passed around.....Once Pia took over she said she wanted to change the US's style of play more to that fashion, however with this team it still played alot of old school American women's soccer by sitting back on defense and scoring on the counter. In the game against Japan though they showed in the first half their ability to control possession and create their own scoring chances with their strikers making runs in the box and playing nice balls in.

yes i have watched a ton..and that is my point..they need to become better skilled, better passing, better possesion especially in the midfield.

As much as I love what Abby has done for America, she is not skilled with her feet in the box, she does not create well on her own.

Cam
07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
there's some serious soccer talk goin' on here......heard someone say earlier in this long-ass thread the Japanese were better "ball handlers" than the US girls....hmmm.....were you in the military stationed in Japan or something?? Just wonderin'....:eek: