PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Tour De France Updates

Phil C
07-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Philippe Gilbert won State 1 followed by one time overall runner up Cadel Evans. Last year's runner up Frank Schleck finished abut 39 seconds behind but last year's winner Alberto Contador finished 1:20 behind the leader. Unfortunately a crash in the peloton put some of them behind because it split and the group in the bottom half had to wait for the clear to go and the others went ahead. A spectator had got too close to the road is the blame for it but from what I could see even though he was closer than he should have been it shouldn't have caused that crash. This hurts Alberto in the start but it is just the beginning and a lot of miles to go before they reach Paris. Alberto has the ability to do well but still giving that much time to contenders could hurt in the long run. We will see. The Tour begins. Exciting times indeed!

Phil C
07-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Stage 2 is a time trial. These are not as interesting to me but to each their own.

hollywood
07-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Stage 2 is a time trial. These are not as interesting to me but to each their own.
I love the time trials. Mano y Mano

ogg
07-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Hope my boy Chris Horner does well this year.

Phil C
07-03-2011, 09:03 AM
He finished with the leaders yesterday ogg so he is off to a good start. Contador is the one who has really been hurt yesterday and even though he is capable that is a lot of time to make up especially with as close a results in the Tour as we have had the past several years. Plus he has been criticized how he won it in the past attacking his teammate and attacking when someone had a broken chain and was delayed. Though legal it has been a commonly understood policy that you don't do so in those two cases so Alberto is basically on his own as far as other teams are concerned. Today the time trials are on and these are team time trials and basically a team's (or individual's) time is only good as the fifth place team.

This year there are 198 riders on 22 different teams with 9 riders on each team. Probably about 20% won't finished the Tour for various reasons such as crash injuries, abandoning the Tour, not finishing a Stage in required time, drug use, etc. Crashes and drug use are two I really hate but it happens unfortunately. Probably about 140 will finish the Tour.

hollywood
07-03-2011, 10:36 AM
USA teams Garmin-Cervelo and BMC took 1st and 2nd in the team time trials today.

Phil C
07-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Alberto Contador lost 18 more seconds today. Other possible contenders are alarmingly ahead of him. Cadel Evans is 1'41" ahead of him and Andy Schleck, Frank Schleck and Bradley Wiggins are 1'38" ahead of him. Not a good start and I expect the time to remain until the mountain stages. The next five stages are flat and the sprinters should have their day with breakaways maybe getting away with one of the.

Phil C
07-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Stage 3 is about over with ten miles left. There is a breakaway group that is giving a great effort but I think the peloton will catch them and it will be a sprinter's race. Excitement indeed.

Phil C
07-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Great news as in an exciting finish American Tyler Farrar finally wins his first Stage at the Tour de France. It was the first time he was able to beat out Mark Cavendish in close races but Cavendish got boxed in and Tyler went on to win. A great start in the Tour for the Americans who won the time trial and today's stage and has their man in the yellow jersey again.

Phil C
07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
A great day for the United State on its' birthday (July 4, 2011)! The Amerian Sponsored Team Garlin-Cervelo is in first place in team overall standings and one of their member American Tyler Farrar wins today 's stage! Also one of their members (Thor Hushovd) is from Norway and is still in the yellow jersey. A great day for America in the Tour De France on its' birthday. Great news indeed! Happy Birthday America!

Phil C
07-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Stage 4 will be over soon. There is about 25 miles left. There is a breakaway group that is slightly ahead of the peloton but I think they are going to be caught. The race ends uphill about 2 km and I think it will be won by a strong sprinter again. I don't look for any major changes in the overall classifications but the end should be exciting indeed.

Phil C
07-05-2011, 09:38 AM
About 21 miles left and the peloton is still about 2 1/2 minutes behind the breakaway. They should catch them easily when they are ready. They will probably wait until the last 5 miles to catch them.

Phil C
07-05-2011, 09:53 AM
There is now about 30 km to go or 18.75 miles. The experts seem to think the fight for the stage will be between Philippe Gilbert and Cadel Evans. We will see. They don't anticipate major changes between the overall contenders.

Phil C
07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
A little math help lesson for you here. The Versus Channel coverage is good about giving the kilometers (km) and the miles left but not all coverage does that and just gives it in km. To convert the km to miles simply multiply the km by 5/8 or .625 . You can get it close enough by muliplying by .6.

For example a while ago there were 30 km left and if you multiply 30 X .625 (or 5/8) you will get 18.75 miles. Now if you don't have a calculator it is easy to multiply 30 X .6 and you get 18 miles which is close enough for estimation work in this case.

Phil C
07-05-2011, 10:01 AM
There is now about 10 miles left and the peloton is about 1 1/2 minute behind the breakaways. I think they will catch them soon and look forward to a great ending. We should have the final results soon.

Phil C
07-05-2011, 10:37 AM
An exciting end to Stage 4. Cadel Evans who had to stop to change a flat tire with about 12 miles left wins the stage in a photo finish. He had to work his way back to the peloton and them move to the front and hold off Alberto Contador for the win. It was a photo finish and I was surprised the Alberto went for the win. Cadel got ahead of him but then Alberto accelerated and passed Cadel like he was standing still but Cadel was able to reach the finish line by mere inches and claim the win. I don't think there will be any major changes even though Alberto might have gained a few seconds on some of the contenders.

Phil C
07-05-2011, 01:55 PM
No real major changes or at least not as much as Alberto would have liked overall. He is still 1min41sec behind Cadel Evans and 1min38sec behind Frank Schleck and 1min30sec behind Andy Schleck and 2min28 behind Bradley Wiggins as far as the main contenders go. The one he hurt a little big was Andy but that was minor and there is much more work for him to do.

Tomorrow no major climbs so unless a breakaway succeeds it will be a sprinters race tomorrow and should be a good one.

Phil C
07-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Then there were 197. We suffered our first loss to the tour as Belgium Jugen van de Walle had to abandon the Tour due to injuries. He was in a crash yesterday and tried to stay in the Tour but his injuries pevented him. It is a shame and unfortunately there are more to come.

Phil C
07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
I like the Tour De France.

icu812
07-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Me to.

Alberto's team doesn't look as strong as it needs to be. The mountain stages this year look more brutal than normal.

hollywood
07-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Me agree. Just getting back into riding again in addition to running. Road 103 miles in last 5 days. A 20 miler, a 63 miler, then another 20 miler. Nothing compared to the pros, but it's a start. They cover 100+ miles a day for 21 days of racing in the tour !! Amazing.

ogg
07-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Like what I saw in George Hincapie today, powerfull lead!

mwynn05
07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Coach, does this bring back any memories?

Phil C
07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
There is about 23 miles left in the race on Stage 5. There was a group of escapees but they have been caught. It is a flat stage so I am sure the sprinters will have their day and don't feel there will be any major changes in the overall contenders' times.

Phil C
07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
I was right about the overall contenders status. I don't think it will change for a few more stages.
If you don't want to watch the whole stage I recommend that you record it and watch the last five miles of the race. The commentators are great and you can see some great racing and see the main part of the race of the stage.

Phil C
07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Today's Stage 6 should be an exciting race at the end and it looks like the sprinters are going to have their day again. There are some breakaways but it looks like they will be caught soon. Ten miles left so hang on to your hats.

Phil C
07-07-2011, 10:07 AM
About half a mile left and the breakaways are caught. Get ready for a great sprint to the finish line!

Phil C
07-07-2011, 10:19 AM
In a surprise ending. Bboassen Hagen won first while Goss and Thor won second and third. Thor will again retain the yellow jersey. I don't think the overall contenders will change but Contador has tried to breakaway and cut his deficits but I don't think he has succeeded but I will post when I have updated standings. This ride today was the longest one in the Tour this year but it will be far from being the most brutal.

hollywood
07-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Saturday and Sunday will be the fun stages to watch... mountains begin. Tour contenders will emerge and should see a change in the yellow jersey. This is where Armstrong always began to take over the race.

Phil C
07-07-2011, 01:55 PM
We are almost 1/3 of the way through the tour. We have the following stages coming. Bear in mind that Mondays will be rest days the rest of the Tour.

Stage 7 July 8 will be a flat stage. The sprinters should rule unless a breakaway succeeds.

Stages 8 & 9 July 9 and 10 will be medium mountain stages. I look for contenders to make a break if the opportunity presents itself.

Stage 10 & 11 July 12 and 13 will be flat stages

Stages 12 - 14 July 14-16 will be High Mountain Stages. These are going to be brutal. I look for the main contenders not to make a move until stages 13 & 14. Stage 12 is on a big French holiday (Bastille Day) so look for a Frenchman to try to make a move to win it.

Stage 15 on July 17 will be a flat stage and look for the sprinters that survive the mountain stages to fight for it.

Stage 16 on July 19 will be a midium mountain stage.

Stages 17 - 19 on July 20-22 will be high mountain stages and these are going to also be brutal and look for the main contenders to really fight it out.

Stage 20 on July 23 This is about a 26 individual time trial and we should know the winner.

Stage 21 July 24 will be a flat stage. This is by a long time tradition just a formality as the riders ride together into Paris. The overall winner is generally known. There is a sprint at the end by the sprinters for a stage win but the main overall standings are not affected by tradition.

Stage 21 may be different this year if Alberto Contador is just a few seconds behind first place. He may break tradition and try to breakaway and win it. If he does look for him to be resisted by the peloton. Still if he attacks his teammates and a man with a broken chain which is frowned upon by tradition one wonders if he will try something going to Paris. I hope not. But you must remember even though it is tradition it is not against the rules to try to win it on the road to Paris.

Phil C
07-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Stage 7 today should be a sprinter's race. It is flat all the way unlike some the past several days that have steep even though not long climbs. With 45 miles left there is a group of escapees that are 4'25" ahead of them. The peloton is not in any hurry to catch them and I am sure the sprinters will make sure it doesn't succeed. This is their day and they don't have many left so I am sure they won't let this chance get away. Tommorow we start the mountains and that will start the real interesting stuff as far as overall leaders are concerned.

Phil C
07-08-2011, 09:36 AM
One may wonder why there are escapees when they very rarely succeed. The answer is simple. Once in a while they do succeed and one of them gets to win a stage which is wonderful for them. But even when they don't succeed they get publicity along with the sponsers and that is what the sponsers like.

Phil C
07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
As expected today did end up a sprinter's race as the peloton caught the breakaways as expected. And the favorite Mark Cavendish did win the stage. An exciting day indeed.

Roughneck93
07-08-2011, 11:49 AM
It was pretty cool how the local farmers got involved supporting the Tour. :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCXqyrZcUWQ

Phil C
07-08-2011, 03:01 PM
It was pretty cool how the local farmers got involved supporting the Tour. :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCXqyrZcUWQ

Magnificient! A fantastic job indeed by the farmers.

:clap::clap::clap:

icu812
07-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Not a good day for the American GC hopefulls. Levi and Horner crashed losing major time. Horner probably won't start race tomorrow. All things being equal I'm not sure either had a real chance to be in the top 3 but could have been top 10. Along with the whats left of the Americans I'm now pulling for Evans, Millar and Kloden who are on US based teams. Just not Contador.......his chain needs to fall off.

Phil C
07-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Stage 8 today was great with an exicting finish. The breakaways had their day in a way because 9 broke away but the peloton caught 8 of them but Rui Costa of Portugal held on to win the stage which was great for Movistar. As expected the contenders stayed with the peloton and no overall changes in leaders except sad to say we lost two of them in Chris Horner and Bradley Wiggins. I look for more of the same tomorrow because it is a medium mountain stages with several climbs even though they aren't long. Monday is rest day then look out because then the brutal high mountain stages start for 3 days and watch for Contador to try to make a move and look for the other contenders react. The Tour is past the third mark and look for Tuesday through Thursday to be thrilling indeed.

Phil C
07-09-2011, 09:59 PM
American Tejay Van Garderen showed great promise today. He is from Montany and is a rising star. He was in the breakaway and was just caught by the Peloton at the end. He did early the Polka Dot Jersey for Mountain Climbing and also was recognized as the most aggressive rider. He is not a contender this year and is riding mainly for experience in the Tour since this is his first one and he is only 22 so hopefully there will be many more. He works for Mark Cavendish and the team this year. The experts think he will be a Tour contender for the yellow jersey in about 4 years. He will need to eventually get on his own team to support him without a sprinter like Lance did. An American Tour Star coming.

Phil C
07-10-2011, 09:43 PM
In Stage 9 today we had a change in the overall leader as Thomas Voeckler came in second but it was enough to win the yellow jersey for right now with Luis Leone Sanchez winning the stage. It went as predicted but unfortunately crashes continue to ruin some chances with Andreas Kloden getting injured and is porbably out of the races. Voeckler is not considered a favorite to win the yellow jersey even though he may retain it a few days.
Tomorrow the riders get a much needed rest day followed by three big days in the high mountains. It will be brutal and look for Alberto Contador to make a big move one of those days. I don't think it will be Tuesday because I think the main contenders will still stay with the peloton but on Wednesday and/or Thursday watch out.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Stage 10 is underway and as expected the main overall leaders are staying in the peloton which is what I anticipate to be the norm today . There is a breakaway but none of them are contenders and I expect they may succeed as the peloton probably won't be interested in catching them.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 08:24 AM
The following is the author's opinion of the top contenders of the Tour. This is for your information.

Right now there are about 50 miles left in the stage today and the breakaways are almost 4 minutes ahead with a brutal climb ahead of them.

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2011/7/11/2269760/the-real-gc-standings

Phil C
07-12-2011, 09:41 AM
They are about 20 miles from the finish. The most brutal climb of the day is over. The breakaways are only about 1 minute ahead of the peloton and will no doubt be caught soon but another one may start afterward. We will see.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
There was a hailstorm earlier today at the start but fortunately it cleared up. There may be some more rain however at the end today. Let's hope everyone gets through the day ok.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 09:57 AM
The peloton caught up with them but now a group including Philippe Gilbert and Tony Martin have attacked. I don't think the peloton will let them get away too far because even though they aren't Tour favorites Gilbert and Martin are considered dangerous and could become serious contenders if the opportunity presents itself.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 10:01 AM
About five miles left and the recent breakaway should be caught soon. It looks like it will be a sprint to the finish in the peloton. Mark Cavendish is right up at the front of the peloton and it would be ironic if he won a mountain stage indeed. Excitement indeed. Let's hope there are no crashes.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Gilbert is now breaking away and going for it. He really wants to win this stage and we are near the end of the day.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 10:05 AM
About 3.5 miles left. I don't think Gilbert can hold them off but he is trying. I still think it is going to be a sprint at the end. As I posted before it would sure be a great irony if Mark Cavendish won a mountain stage.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Less than a mile left. Hang onto your hats because anything can happen!

Phil C
07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
A great end. Andre Griepel just holds off Mark Cavendish for the stage win. You won't see very many sprinters having a shot at a mountain stage. I think the rest of the contenders will be in the first group with the standings staying the same.

As a note Alberto Contador who has won the TDF three times has had bad luck this year with crashes and being behing in time. It has bee said that he is having knee problems. Still he is dangerous.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 11:10 AM
It looks like I was right as the main overall contenders are in the peloton and there are no standings. I look for some fireworks tomorrow and/or Thursday as we have two more mountain stages coming and they are brutal.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 11:15 AM

slingshot
07-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I like the Tour De France.No.... Really?

Phil C
07-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I jumped the gun a little. The big mountain stages are Wednesday through Friday this week. Today's stage was really a flat stage as is tomorrow. The sprinters should have another day until Wednesday.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
No.... Really?

Indeed y es slingshot.

icu812
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I jumped the gun a little. The big mountain stages are Wednesday through Friday this week. Today's stage was really a flat stage as is tomorrow. The sprinters should have another day until Wednesday.

Phill I think the big mountains are Thurs. through Saturday. Tomorrow IS Wednesday!

Phil C
07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Phill I think the big mountains are Thurs. through Saturday. Tomorrow IS Wednesday!

Oops! Right you are icu812. Thanks for the correction.

Farmersfan
07-12-2011, 03:20 PM
I watched some Sportcenter highlites about this race where one rider swerves over and knocks another into a fence and then a news team in a car swerved into a rider and almost kills him. What happens to these people that do these stupid things. Is this viewed as just part of the game or are crimminal charges filed against non-riders who interfer???? At the very least a rider should get a lifetime ban for intentionally knocking another rider into a fence.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Stage 11 is underway and it is a flat stage for the sprinters. There is a breakaway but I don't think they will succeed because after today there will be three brutal mountain stages and some of the sprinters may not survive so this stage may be the last chance for some of them. So I am sure they will catch the breakaway and none will succeed.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
The Stage is going as predicted and the sprinters should fight it out. There are 10 miles left and there is a group of escapees none of which are considered contenders but they should easily be caught soon. Hang on to your hats for a great sprint race because for some of them this may be their last chance to shine because some may be lost after the brutal mountain stages which start tomorrow through Saturday.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
About five miles left. Look for Mark Cavendish to make a big effort to win this stage.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
About three and a half miles left. The escapees are still 22" ahead of the peloton and I am sure they will be caught. Get ready for a sprint finish!

Phil C
07-13-2011, 10:03 AM
As expected the escapees were caught and to no one's surprise Mark Cavendish wins the final sprint with Griepel second and Farrar in third place.

Phil C
07-13-2011, 10:38 AM
The main overall contenders seem to have finished in the peloton and their times remained the same but tomorrow their time starts. The first of three brutal mountain stages. I think tomorrow a breakaway may succeed if there are no contenders with them. I don't look for any of the serious contenders to make a move tomorrow but after that look out! Alberto Contador needs to make up time and I look for him to try tomorrow with the other contenders staying as close to him as possible.

We have completed 11 out of 21 stages so we are past the half way mark of the tour especially when one remembers that by tradition the last stage is one that they all ride into Paris together until the end when the sprinters try to grab one last bit of glory.

Phil C
07-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Today was the first of three brutal mountain stages. It was won by Samuel Sanchez followed by Jelle Vanendert and Frank Scholeck. To the delight of the French Frenchman Thomas Voeckler retained the yellow jersey again which is nice for it being the Bastille Day Holiday for them. He is not considered an overall contender.
Right now I think the three contenders besides Alberto Contador of course are Frank Schleck, Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans.
The main contenders stayed with the peloton but near the end it split up and the three contenders gained time on Alberto who no doubt will make a move tomorrow or Friday. Frank Schleck is now 2min11sec ahead of Alberto while Cadel Evans is 1min56sec ahead of him and Andy Schleck is 1min43sec ahead.

Look for the fireworks to continue tomorrow. Veve le Tour!!

turbostud
07-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I dont see Contador doing anything. he rode the Giro de Italia in May and won and I dont think he will have the fresh legs to win the TdF.

Phil C
07-15-2011, 08:12 AM
I dont see Contador doing anything. he rode the Giro de Italia in May and won and I dont think he will have the fresh legs to win the TdF.

I think maybe you are right turbostud. The word today is that he has been injured and is not himself even though he is still close to the contenders but with crashes he may be too injured to challenge which goes to show it takes luck to win the TDF.

Phil C
07-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Today's Stage 13 is fairly flat most of the way but it ends with a brutal mountain climb and tough descent. They are at about the 35 mile left mark and soon will be on the mountain climb. There is a group of escapees but I don't know if they will let them win or for sure not get too far ahead because one of them has good time even though not considered a contender. American team RadioShack had bad luck this year as they have lost four riders which shows that luck can go against you in the long run sometimes. Their last real contender Andreas Kloden had to abandon due to injuries. Of the 198 there are now 173 left.

hollywood
07-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I think maybe you are right turbostud. The word today is that he has been injured and is not himself even though he is still close to the contenders but with crashes he may be too injured to challenge which goes to show it takes luck to win the TDF.

Riding the Giro de Italia for the win didn't help his chances in the Tour de France. I think a little luck may have something to do with it but mostly a riders conditioning, natural ability, mental toughness, and team strength have more to do with winning the TDF. Contador is not another Armstrong.

Phil C
07-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Today's stage was for the breakaways and Thor Hoshoud won it and was magnificient as was second place David Moncoutie and third place Jeremy Roy. Roy was great and lead and looked like he was going to win and was ahead of the others but he just didn't have the strength to hold off the others in the last mile and Hoshoud made a magnificient drive to pass him and he did it on his own. Well Done Thor!

The overall contenders stayed together because no doubt they want to save their strenth for tomorrow's stage. It should be a good one will be another mountain stage.

Following tomorrow we will have a flat stage on Sunday and then a rest day on Monday.

Maybe Contador will make a move tomorrow. We will see.

Phil C
07-15-2011, 04:40 PM
We have 173 riders left out of 198 that started. You would like them all but unfortunately it is not possible.
The most common reason is injuries due to crashes. Some are able to finish a stage injured and try to ride but can't finish. Some have to quit right away.
Another reason is fatigue because after a few days the body gets tired and sometimes a rider can't finish.
Another reason is unfortunately a rider is involved with drugs and is made to leave the tour in disgrace. Fortunately so far we have lost only one rider due to it this year even though that is one too many.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 07:25 AM
We have 173 riders left out of 198 that started. You would like them all but unfortunately it is not possible.
The most common reason is injuries due to crashes. Some are able to finish a stage injured and try to ride but can't finish. Some have to quit right away.
Another reason is fatigue because after a few days the body gets tired and sometimes a rider can't finish.
Another reason is unfortunately a rider is involved with drugs and is made to leave the tour in disgrace. Fortunately so far we have lost only one rider due to it this year even though that is one too many.

Another reason I overlooked is a rider is disqualified from the tour by finishing a stage outside a time limit. A rider must finish a stage in a certain time length behind the leader which can range from 10 to 30 percent depending on the length and difficulty of the stage. For example if it is a difficult long mountain stage and the winner finishes it in 5 hours then at 30 per cent a rider would have to finish 1hr 30 minutes or better to stay in the race. A couple of reasons for a rider to not make it are fatigue or prior injuries.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Today's Stage is a brutal mountain stage and ends in a long climb up the Plateau Beille. The three times a stage has ended here the final winner of the TDF has won this stage. Will this continue or will this be the exception? We will see. The race has started but still along distance to go. There are some breakaways but the peloton is not letting them get too far ahead.

Phil C
07-16-2011, 07:35 AM
About 50 brutal miles left. The GC Contenders (General Classification Contenders which refers to the ones favored to win the overall tour) are satisfied to stay in the peloton now. When will Alberto Contador make his move?

Phil C
07-16-2011, 11:08 AM
An exciting day as Jelle Vanendert wins the stage. There was a group of escapees that had the main contenders in it and since Jelle was 13 minutes behind the leader he is not considered a threat and they let him go. It looks like the winner at the top of Plateau de Beille will not win the Tour this year. Samual Sanches got second place about 22 seconds behind him as the riders let him go also at the end. He is considered a small possibility threat but since it was so near the end of the stage and he is 4 minutes behind they let him go also. About 23 seconds behind in third place was Andy Schleck and the rest were 2 seconds behind him. So everything in the GC is basically status quo. Alberto Contador didn't make a move even though he finished with the rest but he hasn't shown the take charge attitude that was expected.
Thomas Voeckler who leads the GC overall looked good as he stayed with the main contenders. He wasn't considered a contender but if he keeps up what he is doing he may pull it off this year and give France a winner for the first time in years. Wouldn't that be great?

icu812
07-16-2011, 01:49 PM
An exciting day as Jelle Vanendert wins the stage. There was a group of escapees that had the main contenders in it and since Jelle was 13 minutes behind the leader he is not considered a threat and they let him go. It looks like the winner at the top of Plateau de Beille will not win the Tour this year. Samual Sanches got second place about 22 seconds behind him as the riders let him go also at the end. He is considered a small possibility threat but since it was so near the end of the stage and he is 4 minutes behind they let him go also. About 23 seconds behind in third place was Andy Schleck and the rest were 2 seconds behind him. So everything in the GC is basically status quo. Alberto Contador didn't make a move even though he finished with the rest but he hasn't shown the take charge attitude that was expected.
Thomas Voeckler who leads the GC overall looked good as he stayed with the main contenders. He wasn't considered a contender but if he keeps up what he is doing he may pull it off this year and give France a winner for the first time in years. Wouldn't that be great?

Negative, that would not be great. Got to give Voeckler some credit though he looks as good as anybody. A little disapointed that no contenders for the overall finish had the form to separate themselves from the other riders. I kinda expected someone to emerge as the rider to beat. As of right now that looks like Voeckler until proven otherwise, although I think he will crack sooner or later. The timetrial could be what decides it if the current parody in the mountains continues for the GC riders.

Phil C
07-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Stage 15 today was a flat stage and as expected the sprinters had their day with Mark Cavendish edging out Tyler Farrar for the win. All the contenders had the same time. A well deserved rest day tomorrow (Monday) and then we are in the final six days of the Tour.

turbostud
07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I am beginning to think voekler may be able to hold on the yellow jersey and win it all. he is able to stay with the contenders in the mountains as none of them seem to want to take any risk.

Phil C
07-17-2011, 07:17 PM
I am beginning to think voekler may be able to hold on the yellow jersey and win it all. he is able to stay with the contenders in the mountains as none of them seem to want to take any risk.

You could be right. If he can stay with the contenders he might be enough ahead to win the Tour in the time trial even though he isn't considered a good one but with a big lead who knows?
Some experts think he will crack in the Alps some are not so sure we will see.

Phil C
07-17-2011, 10:08 PM
We have a rest day on Monday and then the medium mountains on Tuesday. I think on Tuesday the main GC will stay close together and let the breakaways or tough sprinters like Thor Hushovd have the day. If the peloton finishes first the sprinters could possible pull another surprise. On Wednesday we start the first of three brutal mountain stages but I still think the GC will try to stay together because it ends on a descent as Tuesday's stage. But Thursday and Friday look out. These are brutal and end in an assent which is tough and look for the main contenders to try to make a move. This should really be interesting. It could make the final time trial the deciding stage. We will see.

Now I won't be able to update you because I am leaving the City for a few days and may not have access to a computer so someone please post the results daily and I will make final comments when I get back next week.
Vive Le Tour!

turbostud
07-17-2011, 10:15 PM
We have a rest day on Monday and then the medium mountains on Tuesday. I think on Tuesday the main GC will stay close together and let the breakaways or tough sprinters like Thor Hushovd have the day. If the peloton finishes first the sprinters could possible pull another surprise. On Wednesday we start the first of three brutal mountain stages but I still think the GC will try to stay together because it ends on a descent as Tuesday's stage. But Thursday and Friday look out. These are brutal and end in an assent which is tough and look for the main contenders to try to make a move. This should really be interesting. It could make the final time trial the deciding stage. We will see.

Now I won't be able to update you because I am leaving the City for a few days and may not have access to a computer so someone please post the results daily and I will make final comments when I get back next week.
Vive Le Tour!

I am out of town as well Phil, working in Kerrville this week but I should be able to update.

Phil C
07-18-2011, 08:43 AM
I am out of town as well Phil, working in Kerrville this week but I should be able to update.

Thank you turbostud. Just do the best you can. I will be leaving town Tuesday morning. This last week ought to have some great stages.

turbostud
07-19-2011, 08:25 AM
So far a fairly normal stage. Lots of rain on the road so the riders are playing it safe. 10 riders in the breakaway with Thor Hushovd among them. They only have a 2 minute lead on the peleton so they most likely will get caught.

hollywood
07-19-2011, 08:27 AM
So far a fairly normal stage. Lots of rain on the road so the riders are playing it safe. 10 riders in the breakaway with Thor Hushovd among them. They only have a 2 minute lead on the peleton so they most likely will get caught.

Nice update, thanks!

turbostud
07-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Hushovd takes the stage. Contador attacked and looks like he will put some time into the Shclecks and Voekler. It wont be much most likely about 30 seconds.

turbostud
07-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Ok Cycling Fans, sorry I couldnt update more but I had to be at work at 10am and todays stage ended at a quarter till 10 so I was pushing the limit.
Tomorrows stage is a hilly one but shouldnt see to much change in the overall general classification.

For all you bandwagon cycling fans Thursdays and Fridays stages are the going to be instant classic and nailbiters.
Thursday's stage has 3 "beyond category" climbs which for those that dont know that means FRICKIN TOUGH!!!!!!! These two quotes should tell you all you need to know.

Sean Yates says...
"The Agnello is long and the Izoard is evil. This is the easier side of the Galibier but it's still going to really hurt. For anyone not fighting for a top ten place, today will be a death march, especially with all the time spent over 2000 metres."

Matt White says...
"This stage is the beast. It will bite everyone – some for survival, others for overall glory. Sit back and enjoy."

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2011/06/30/1/tdf2011_18sp_600.jpg

Friday's stage is up the legendary Alpe d'Huez. Not the toughest climb but it is one of the most famous and has 2 "beyond category" climbs. This is the climb Lance Armstrong won a few years back and had German fans spitting in his face as he destroyed the field. So you dont want to miss Thurs and Fridays stages as they will be epic.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2011/06/30/1/tdf2011_19sp_600.jpg

hollywood
07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Another great update turbostud! This really sheds some light on how difficult the TDF really is. Today's Stage 17 is a mountain stage and will get the riders legs burning, especially after have already covered approx 1,250 miles the first 2weeks of the tour. Tomorrow's Stage 18 is brutal with 3 climbs that aren't even categorized and covers 125 miles. Insane for even the pros! Friday's Stage 19 will be even worse due to the 2 previous days of brutality. Needless to say, these next 3 days will expose the weak and show who still has the legs to take the lead for the yellow jersey. Legs will be shot for Saturday's individual time trial then everyone will cruise into Paris on Sunday for the final stage.

turbostud
07-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Overall leader Thomas Voekler lost a little bit more time today on a descent when he over shot a corner. He still leads Cadel Evans of Australia by 1:18.
Tomorrows stage will separate the men and boys, so dont miss it. It should be exciting. I have to work 5am til 3pm so I won be able to update until the afternoon and willhave to DVR the stage. No worries as I will be able to update Fridays Alpe D Huez stage and the time trial on Sat which will give some riders the opportunity to make up time against the clock, as well as Sundays final stage. If you have the chance to watch tomorrow and friday there will be plenty of fireworks on the mountains.

turbostud
07-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Andy Schleck attacked on the slopes of the Col d'Izoard, the second climb of the day, to take the stage win atop the Galibier and move up into second place overall. His brother sprinted to second place with Cadel Evans third. Thomas Voeckler continued his miracle ride, hanging on to the yellow jersey by 15 seconds. Andy Schleck is second, with Frank Schleck third at 1:08. Cadel Evans is the only other rider who still has a realistic shot at the final podium, in fourth place at 1:12.

Tomorrows stage is up the legendary Alpe d Huez so dont miss it. Saturdays stage is an individual time trial which I will preview tomorrow. the time trial should be very interesting if the times stay as close as they are. \\\\

turbostud
07-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Contador has attacked on the Col du Telegraph and has andy schleck with him right now they have a 1:30 second lead on cadel evans who lost time with a bike problem. 2 beyond catagory climbs to go.

turbostud
07-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Thomas Voekler from yesterdays stage.

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/07/21/2/pic212615564_600.jpg

turbostud
07-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Andy Schleck

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/07/21/2/bettiniphoto_0086502_1_full_600.jpg

turbostud
07-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Voekler slicing through the crowd on the ascent of the Galibier.

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/07/21/2/bettiniphoto_0086484_1_full_600.jpg

turbostud
07-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Pierre Rolland takes the stage. First frenchman to win on Alpe d Huez since 1986. Not much change in the overall GC. Tomorrows Time Trial will decide the winner.

turbostud
07-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Alberto Contador punching a fan that got too close.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/maxiton2/352930744.png

turbostud
07-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Cadel Evans made up the :57 seconds he needed and then some to take the yellow jersey away from Andy Schleck. He is the first Australian to win the TdF.

Phil C
07-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Fantastic job turbostud and thank you for updating. A great ride by Cadel Evans to pull it off. He had great strategy that worked for him this year and pulled it off after coming close for many years. Australia will win it but must remember he had great American support and sponsor even though he had to pull it off alone the last two stages. Evans had always had bad luck before but this time he was in the right place at the right time consistently and had good luck. I think he could possible win one or two more tours but that is about all considering he is 34 now. Well Done Cadel. More comments to follow but a fantastic job by turbostud. I didn't have access to a computer but fortunately I was able to stay in motels that carried the Versus Channel and keep up with the latest. A fantastic tour once again.

Phil C
07-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Final Comments as the 2011 Tour de France is over. Many great future stars will be coming. Cadel Evans won it in great style and as I have written may win it one or two more times. Luck finally went his way which goes to show that it does take luck to win it. It is great for Australia to have their first TDF winner. Mark Cavendish had great success winning five stages and the green jersey for most sprinter points. His team had him set up perfectly. By winning the green jersey Great Britain had their first Green Jersey winner. But Australia and Great Britain must remember that they rode on an American team and had American riders support them which I know Mark and Cadell do. The polka dot mountain jersey was won by Samuel Sanches who did a great job.
As an encouragement America did very well. Their teams got the Yellow and Green Jersey. Also sprinter Tyler Farrar won a stage and gave Mark some close races. American Tom Danielson in his first TDF race came in ninth at age 31. Where have you been Tom? :) The American Team Garmin-Cevelo won the overall team title which is determined by the total time of your top three riders.
Thor Hushovd did great on his American team winning a stage and holding onto the yellow jersey for a week. Rumor is that he will be leaving the team but with the success he has had he may want to reconsider. Having good teammates is a big advantage in the Tour with their support and help.
Overall possible future winners can be anticipated. Cadel still should have a couple of more years. Andy Schleck has come in second the past several years and at age 26 it is very likely he will be a future TDF winner. And you can't count out his older brother Frank who came in third this year. Thomas Voeckler of France was very protective of the yellow jersey for over a week and did remarkable but I am not sure he will be able to ever win the Tour but who knows. Of course Alberto Contador will be back. He had bad luck and injuries in the TDF plus he may have spread himself too thin by trying to win other Tours. One of the main reasons Lance won so many years was that he trained for and concentrated and participated only in the TDF. Plus look for Alberto to go to a team with more support next year.
Last but not least the winner of the white jersey for best young rider went to Pierre Roland of France who came in 11th place. He should be a strong contender in the future which will be great for France. This year he was in a supporting role but has won a tough mountain stage. He is a GC and should get on a team that will concentrate on helping him win the tour. He can do it even though it may be a few years down the road. He is only 24 and has a great future in cycling as long as luck is with him.
So thus endeth the 2011 TDF and it was a great one. We have a great 2012 TDF to look forward to once again next year. Let's hope Phil Liggert and Paul Sherwin will get to continue to narrate it. They are great. The 2011 TDF has been great and has helped us get through July and now football season is coming soon. It has bee great.

Vive Le Tour!!