PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance Cost

ExScoop
06-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi
Since my wife was laid off her job at the Fort Bend ISD-She had to get COBRA Health Insurance

That's what persons get if they get laid off

We were paying around $700 for United Health Care
Now we will be paying almost $1,000 a month using COBRA
I forgot what our dedutible will be but the co-pay to see a doctor is $35

Does anyone have good health insurance (for a couple) for around $800-$900

Thanks for any imput

Black_Magic
07-05-2011, 11:39 AM
there is not many out there. Its part of the reason we need a public option. I heard that one guy robbed a bank for $1 in order to get arested and thrown back in jail so he could have health care. the guy had a mass in his chest the doctors would not treat because he had no coverage.

Ranger Mom
07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
there is not many out there. Its part of the reason we need a public option. I heard that one guy robbed a bank for $1 in order to get arested and thrown back in jail so he could have health care. the guy had a mass in his chest the doctors would not treat because he had no coverage.

I heard about that...that's crazy and really sad!! We have insurance through my husband's employer and they pay his and the family policy is $125 a month and has been since before we got married (15 years ago.) Since one of my sons is in school full time and his employer doesn't provide insurance he gets to stay on ours until he turns 26.

Black_Magic
07-07-2011, 10:25 AM
I heard about that...that's crazy and really sad!! We have insurance through my husband's employer and they pay his and the family policy is $125 a month and has been since before we got married (15 years ago.) Since one of my sons is in school full time and his employer doesn't provide insurance he gets to stay on ours until he turns 26.Its nuts that our insurance cost twice (real statistics) as much as any other country ( modern ) like Germany or France but we dont live any longer or as long as those folks. On top of that we have people robbing banks in order to get into jail to save their life??? wow.. Its crazy. I feel bad for these folks. we live in the richest country in the world and our people should not have to commit crimes to stay alive. I have no problem with my insurance going up $20 to $50 a month if it means that this problem goes away. Heck costs are going up all the time anyway so why not get everyone covered? Its crazy isnt it.

Old Tiger
07-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Its because pharmaceutical companies make poeple believe that medicine is the only cure and the pharmaceutical lobbyist don't help either.

Farmersfan
07-08-2011, 03:21 PM
we live in the richest country in the world and our people should not have to commit crimes to stay alive. .

We didn't become the "richest country in the world" by just giving free healthcare to every Tom, Dick and Harry who decides they don't want to work and pay for what they get. But we will soon become the poorest that way!

BEAST
07-08-2011, 03:56 PM
We didn't become the "richest country in the world" by just giving free healthcare to every Tom, Dick and Harry who decides they don't want to work and pay for what they get. But we will soon become the poorest that way!

:iagree: 100%

BEAST

Black_Magic
07-13-2011, 11:30 AM
We didn't become the "richest country in the world" by just giving free healthcare to every Tom, Dick and Harry who decides they don't want to work and pay for what they get. But we will soon become the poorest that way! I know for a fact that many cant get health care even if they could afford it and thats just the way some want it . the insurance lobby and the drug company lobby have bought the politicians to keep the money flowing. Its why health care here is double the cost of every other modern country. all that and we dont even live any longer or as long as the rest of them.. access Basic healthcare should be a basic fundimental right in this country. you should not have to rob a bank for $1 to get thrown in jail in order to save your life or get treated for cancer..

44INAROW
07-13-2011, 11:51 AM
I hear you FarmersFan!

I'd be happy with $900 for the two of us.......... that's with a $5,000 deductible.. don't get me started on health care - we have had to dip into our shrinking savings to pay the deductible on husband's surgery this summer while low-lifes' who don't work and continue to pop out baby after baby - get FREE medical care - it sucks - the system is BROKE (noun and verb) I don't know the answer but it needs to be fixed!!!!!!!

ExScoop
07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
My wife and I have a lot of pre-exiisting conditions which causes our insurance to be so high

I have Bi-Polar and on several medication. My wife is taking cumidin for blood clot

We are on a bout 8 medications total and we take several doctor visits per month-Had 6 visits alone in June and wife had three

The $1,000 per month for COBRA is killing us.. We have not other alternatives until my wife or I get a job

Black_Magic
07-13-2011, 04:18 PM
I hear you FarmersFan!

I'd be happy with $900 for the two of us.......... that's with a $5,000 deductible.. don't get me started on health care - we have had to dip into our shrinking savings to pay the deductible on husband's surgery this summer while low-lifes' who don't work and continue to pop out baby after baby - get FREE medical care - it sucks - the system is BROKE (noun and verb) I don't know the answer but it needs to be fixed!!!!!!! You should not have to dip into anything. the insurance companies have lobbied so hard that they have us by the nads... its incredible that you support policies that give them MORE power. AGAIN.. The FACT is that we pay TWICE as much as the other countiries for less coverage ( because not all of us are covered ) and they have everyone covered. AND they are out living us! But some of us are so opposed to any Idea from the other side that will help fix it. Tell me.. what about the health care bill do you not like? what was so bad about it. I hear plenty of gripping but the only thing they say is bad is that it mandates you to have insurance... Heck everyone needs insurance. Just cant get it now.

44INAROW
07-13-2011, 07:13 PM
You should not have to dip into anything. the insurance companies have lobbied so hard that they have us by the nads... its incredible that you support policies that give them MORE power. AGAIN.. The FACT is that we pay TWICE as much as the other countiries for less coverage ( because not all of us are covered ) and they have everyone covered. AND they are out living us! But some of us are so opposed to any Idea from the other side that will help fix it. Tell me.. what about the health care bill do you not like? what was so bad about it. I hear plenty of gripping but the only thing they say is bad is that it mandates you to have insurance... Heck everyone needs insurance. Just cant get it now.
I was just bitching and moaning - not speaking for or against the Health Care bill - I am against low-life's getting free health care when hard working folks have to dip into savings to have surgery - that's all I am saying.

Black_Magic
07-14-2011, 11:08 AM
I was just bitching and moaning - not speaking for or against the Health Care bill - I am against low-life's getting free health care when hard working folks have to dip into savings to have surgery - that's all I am saying.
Oh I hear ya. I bitch all the time too. I think its outragious that we pay so much for insurance now days and on top of that the insurance companies wont cover anyone but healthy folks and drop or decline to cover someone who they think could get sick. Its like a teacher being able to pick and choose who they teach... its nuts and the insurance companies have to be shown they cant do that if they want to do business in this country.

Old Tiger
07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
We didn't become the "richest country in the world" by just giving free healthcare to every Tom, Dick and Harry who decides they don't want to work and pay for what they get. But we will soon become the poorest that way!You remember that bail out a few years back....that was capitalism failing. People need to realize with outsourcing going on now days capitalistic ideas are going to kill our country.

SintonFan
07-19-2011, 10:16 PM
You remember that bail out a few years back....that was capitalism failing. People need to realize with outsourcing going on now days capitalistic ideas are going to kill our country.

No it doesn't. Please tell me you are kidding. The "bailout" was in direct response to politicians engineering who should be able to loan money. That kind of "central planning" doesn't work.

Oh I hear ya. I bitch all the time too. I think its outragious that we pay so much for insurance now days and on top of that the insurance companies wont cover anyone but healthy folks and drop or decline to cover someone who they think could get sick. Its like a teacher being able to pick and choose who they teach... its nuts and the insurance companies have to be shown they cant do that if they want to do business in this country.

Seriously, if we go to a single payer system, who pays for it? Just the rich? No, that can't happen. Money doesn't grow on trees... but wait lines for important medical procedures grow and grow and grow under that type of system. :rolleyes:

Farmersfan
07-22-2011, 11:39 AM

You are obsessed on only part the equation BM. Should we have affordable healthcare Insurance in this country? Of course! But we also should not lead the world in litigation against healthcare providers which only causes an increase in cost. Should we force insurance companies to cover pre-existing? Of course! but we also should not allow the MILLIONS of people who would never purchase insurance until they get sick and then go down and try to get it to cover the most recent illness and then drop it again afterwards. You are ranting over and over again on the RESULTS of the American attitude towards healthcare and giving little regard to the CAUSES. Fix the American people and Healthcare would also be fixed. The problem is you want your cake and to eat it too! You want the best healthcare in the world but don't want to pay for it. You want all the freedoms in the world but don't want all the responsibilties that go with that freedom. I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of our great little Democracy here in America. Too many people are feeling entitled and too few are feeling gracious.

Farmersfan
07-22-2011, 11:40 AM
And let's not confuse Healthcare with Insurance! Those are two completely different things.

Old LB
07-22-2011, 01:50 PM
You are obsessed on only part the equation BM. Should we have affordable healthcare Insurance in this country? Of course! But we also should not lead the world in litigation against healthcare providers which only causes an increase in cost. Should we force insurance companies to cover pre-existing? Of course! but we also should not allow the MILLIONS of people who would never purchase insurance until they get sick and then go down and try to get it to cover the most recent illness and then drop it again afterwards. You are ranting over and over again on the RESULTS of the American attitude towards healthcare and giving little regard to the CAUSES. Fix the American people and Healthcare would also be fixed. The problem is you want your cake and to eat it too! You want the best healthcare in the world but don't want to pay for it. You want all the freedoms in the world but don't want all the responsibilties that go with that freedom. I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of our great little Democracy here in America. Too many people are feeling entitled and too few are feeling gracious.

:clap:

rockdale80
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
No it doesn't. Please tell me you are kidding. The "bailout" was in direct response to politicians engineering who should be able to loan money. That kind of "central planning" doesn't work.

That is not true at all. That wasnt political engineering, but the removal of political intervention and oversight. I know we dont agree on policy and you know where I stand on the issue as a matter of opinion, but my statement is based on the facts.

Farmersfan
08-02-2011, 08:32 AM
That is not true at all. That wasnt political engineering, but the removal of political intervention and oversight. I know we dont agree on policy and you know where I stand on the issue as a matter of opinion, but my statement is based on the facts.

But isn't removing oversight the same thing as "engineering" IF the original intent is accomplished by doing so? Removing certain Government restrictions on lending and then implimenting mandates on lending practices seems like engineering to me.

rockdale80
08-02-2011, 02:02 PM
But isn't removing oversight the same thing as "engineering" IF the original intent is accomplished by doing so? Removing certain Government restrictions on lending and then implimenting mandates on lending practices seems like engineering to me.

How is removing oversignt the same thing as engineering by the government? It didnt remove certain lending restrictions.... it removed all of them. Banks were left to regulate themselves and instead of doing the responsible thing, they gambled your money away while several people got rich. Then the tax payers paid to clean up the mess that was made. I am amazed at how you twisted that around to blame on the government instead of blaming it on the free market. The government intervention wasnt welcome until it was in the form of a check....

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
How is removing oversignt the same thing as engineering by the government? It didnt remove certain lending restrictions.... it removed all of them. Banks were left to regulate themselves and instead of doing the responsible thing, they gambled your money away while several people got rich. Then the tax payers paid to clean up the mess that was made. I am amazed at how you twisted that around to blame on the government instead of blaming it on the free market. The government intervention wasnt welcome until it was in the form of a check....

The government was at fault to an extent..they wanted banks to loan money to low income for houses and that is exactly what happened..no one said..wait, what happens if in 10 years they become default. To rule is not only seeing the issues now, but understanding the issues in the future with decisions today

rockdale80
08-02-2011, 07:53 PM
The government was at fault to an extent..they wanted banks to loan money to low income for houses and that is exactly what happened..no one said..wait, what happens if in 10 years they become default. To rule is not only seeing the issues now, but understanding the issues in the future with decisions today

I agree to a small extent, and a very small one at that. The government stepped aside and allowed banks to regulate themselves. Did they want lenders to engage in lending to low income people? Sure, but there is and was more to this story than banks lending to unqualified participants. There was a menagerie of mistakes that led to the burst of the housing bubble. I truly dont think the government was to blame for this disaster.

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
in 95 Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac got tax breaks to increase loan chances for lower income..HUD set a goal for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that at least 42% of the mortgages they purchase be issued to borrowers whose household income was below the median in their area. This target was increased to 50% in 2000 and 52% in 2005 which basically created the subprime explosion..and alot of that was the backing of Congress wanting lower income families to own more homes

Blastoderm55
08-02-2011, 09:05 PM
in 95 Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac got tax breaks to increase loan chances for lower income..HUD set a goal for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that at least 42% of the mortgages they purchase be issued to borrowers whose household income was below the median in their area. This target was increased to 50% in 2000 and 52% in 2005 which basically created the subprime explosion..and alot of that was the backing of Congress wanting lower income families to own more homes

We also have to examine who would stand to gain from looser credit. The typically non-creditworthy borrowers, that's for sure, but what about the commercial home builders and private land and home owners looking to sell new residential construction or even flipped properties? I have a hard time believing Congress stressed home-ownership out of the goodness of their hearts. They lined their pockets thanks to it.

Its easy to blame the sub-prime bubble on those who should not have received the loans, but lets not forget that a very select few reaped huge profits on the backs of the government-backed loans. And that's before even taking mortgage-backed securities into account.

rockdale80
08-02-2011, 11:44 PM
We also have to examine who would stand to gain from looser credit. The typically non-creditworthy borrowers, that's for sure, but what about the commercial home builders and private land and home owners looking to sell new residential construction or even flipped properties? I have a hard time believing Congress stressed home-ownership out of the goodness of their hearts. They lined their pockets thanks to it.

Its easy to blame the sub-prime bubble on those who should not have received the loans, but lets not forget that a very select few reaped huge profits on the backs of the government-backed loans. And that's before even taking mortgage-backed securities into account.

The hunger for more CDO's and MBS's drove down lending standards. Wall Street wizardry (financial innovation) led to the trickle down effect that did line pockets of every lender, agent, appraiser, and title company that pushed these loans so they could be lumped together and sold off to investors. The debt crisis didnt end there because there were investment firms buying these AAA rated investments and pushing them off as retirment funds. It was a menagerie of events that led to the bubble bursting, but the idea that FNMA, FMAC, and congress conspired this is not what I would consider rational thought. They played a part in the process, but the biggest culprit can be summed up in one word. Greed.

Blastoderm55
08-03-2011, 01:26 PM
The hunger for more CDO's and MBS's drove down lending standards. Wall Street wizardry (financial innovation) led to the trickle down effect that did line pockets of every lender, agent, appraiser, and title company that pushed these loans so they could be lumped together and sold off to investors. The debt crisis didnt end there because there were investment firms buying these AAA rated investments and pushing them off as retirment funds. It was a menagerie of events that led to the bubble bursting, but the idea that FNMA, FMAC, and congress conspired this is not what I would consider rational thought. They played a part in the process, but the biggest culprit can be summed up in one word. Greed.

Correct. And the greed extends to the executives at FNMA and FMAC, and the members of Congress whose interests were bought. Whether they planned on this outcome is irrelevent. It was a dumb course of action, but one whose ends were not necessarily intentional. Conspiracy? Nah. Corruption? You betcha.