PDA

View Full Version : Old high schools that no longer exist

Cam
06-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Does anybody know of any? I know my two oldest sisters gradu-macated from Robert E. Lee High in Houston. Anybody remember them? They were called the Generals and the mascot was an ugly ass Confederate soldier yielding a sword and rolled out on wheels....Robert E. Lee also used the conferderate flag....I'm sure when we played Houston Worthing or Kashmere they weren't too happy..And if I recall, we had all four tires slashed at one of those games. I remember dad was pissed....
Last I heard, that area has gone down quite a bit and the old high school is some sort of vocational school.....

Ernest T Bass
06-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Lee is still open and they're still the Generals.
Lots of Dallas schools have been closed and moved to new campuses with new names. Forest Hill is now Madison. Oak Cliff HS is now Adamson. Crozier Tech is now Carter. Maceo Smith will be Wilmer-Hutchins next year. Pleasant Grove HS is closed and those kids go to Skyline.
Of course, the original Wilmer-Hutchins HS was shut down along with the entire WHISD. Victoria Stroman, Victoria High, and Victoria Memorial are no longer in existance. Port Arthur Lincoln, PA Jefferson, and PA Austin are all gone. Beaumont French is gone. That's all I can think of right now.

Roughneck93
06-30-2011, 04:22 PM
How about Forest Brook and Smiley High Schools. Both merged to become North Forest High.

Cam
06-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Lots of Dallas schools have been closed and moved to new campuses with new names. Forest Hill is now Madison. Oak Cliff HS is now Adamson. Crozier Tech is now Carter. Maceo Smith will be Wilmer-Hutchins next year. Pleasant Grove HS is closed and those kids go to Skyline.
Of course, the original Wilmer-Hutchins HS was shut down along with the entire WHISD. Victoria Stroman, Victoria High, and Victoria Memorial are no longer in existance. Port Arthur Lincoln, PA Jefferson, and PA Austin are all gone. Beaumont French is gone. That's all I can think of right now.

Holy cow I think you're right. Lee is still there. Are they 4A or 5A? I had heard it was turned into some sort of vocational school....

turbostud
06-30-2011, 07:31 PM
The Woodlands used to be called Conroe McCullough I think.

turbostud
06-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Actually Conroe McCullough is now a Jr. High.

Roughneck93
06-30-2011, 07:34 PM
The Woodlands used to be called Conroe McCullough I think.

You are correct. McCullough is now the junior high.

Lol, you beat me to it.

turbostud
06-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Well in knew there was something strange about the old McCullough High, I just couldnt remember. But I do remember them laying the smack down at the State Track Meet in the 80's.

Necked
06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Bring back the Garwood Gars!

1st and goal
06-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Victoria High School (mascot: Stingarees) is no more. What a waste. All 'cuz a bunch of gangsta kids can't pass a test.

Roughneck93
06-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Bring back the Garwood Gars!

Rice Consolidated now right?

bobcat1
06-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Haven't seen Brownwood in over 20 years. Are they still around?:taunt:

upper20
06-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Odessa Ector -- to the benefit of Permian

Matthew328
06-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Houston Lee is 4A, played all other sports but football but picking varsity football back up next year

NHSBulldog75
06-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Beaumont schools all went away since the 70's. Beaumont High, French, Charlton-Pollard, Hebert, South Park, Forest Park...all gone
They were replaced with mega schools...West Brook, Ozan, Central...

Necked
06-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Didn't French win state & then the school got axed the next year?

bobcat4life
07-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Haven't seen Brownwood in over 20 years. Are they still around?:taunt:

Its been about 29 years since anyone has seen them...

Matthew328
07-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Port Arthur Lincoln, Port Arthur Austin and there was one more I think....

WOS87
07-01-2011, 07:30 AM
There are lots of extinct schools in SE Texas

West Orange High and Stark High merged to form WO-S in 1977
Beaumont Charlton-Pollard and Beaumont French merged to form Beaumont Central in 1986
Beaumont Hebert and Beaumont Forest Park merged to form Beaumont West Brook in 1982 (Beaumont South Park merged in with West Brook a couple of years later)
Port Arthur Jefferson, Lincoln and SFA merged to form PA Memorial in 2002
There used to be a Cedar Bayou high school near Baytown that closed in 1954 (I assume it merged with Baytown Lee? as there's now a Cedar Bayou Jr. High in Baytown)
In Houston you had Houston San Jacinto which was located where the central Houston Community College is now and there also was Houston Elmore, Houston Lincoln and Houston Williams back in the day
Spring Branch ISD in Houston had Houston Westchester and Spring Branch High (both of which closed in the early '80's)

OLE'BULL
07-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Austin County High School...

GUNHO
07-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Didn't French win state & then the school got axed the next year?

Can't remember who they played ( maybe Mojo,they seemed to be there every year back then ) but it ended in a tie...Co-Champs.

Maroon87
07-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Well in knew there was something strange about the old McCullough High, I just couldnt remember. But I do remember them laying the smack down at the State Track Meet in the 80's.

The Woodlands HS baseball field is located behind McCullough and not at the HS...I find that kinda strange. But it's a pretty nice field...

bwdlionfan
07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Heck just in Brown County there are several:

Indian Creek (consolidated with Brookesmith in the 40s). Population estimate 1990 was 28. The old school is still standing: http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasTowns/Indian-Creek-Texas.htm

Winchell (consolidated with Brookesmith in the 30s and 40s). According to the Texas Escapes website Winchell at one time had a population of 300, now its 10:
http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasTowns/Winchell-Texas.htm

Cross Cut (consolidated with Cross Plains in the 30s or 40s). Current population estimate is 10. The old school was torn down in 1999:
http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasPanhandleTowns/CrossCutTexas/CrossCutTx.htm

Dulin (consolidated with Brookesmith in the 40s). Only population estimate was from 1940 and was 40 people, some buildings still stand: http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasTowns/Dulin-Texas.htm

Even with 3 of these pretty much abandoned towns consolidating with Brookesmith, Brookesmith still has a very small 6 man school. The population of Brookesmith is only 61. I heard a few months ago (though it may be a rumor) that Brookesmith was in danger of losing their school. If that happens I guess part of their kids would go to Bangs and part to Brownwood.

A real neat town that isn't in Brown County but it's just across the county line in Coleman County is Trickham. There are a handful of unnamed above ground graves from pioneers who were killed in an indian attack in the 1800s. There is a small road that drives in between the graves as they're spaced out along both sides of the little road. They also had a school at one time:
http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Trickham/Trickham_Texas.htm

RoyceTTU
07-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Odessa Ector -- to the benefit of Permian

This was the first one that came to mind for me.

Cam
07-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Houston Lee is 4A, played all other sports but football but picking varsity football back up next year

which answers why they're not in Dave Campbells...thanks!

nobogey72
07-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Woodson High School in Abilene closed in '66. Louis Kelly who had a SC at Lubbock Estacado was a graduate.

Bull Butter
07-01-2011, 11:41 AM
In South Texas........

Mirando City HS, closed in the mid-90's. Kids now go to school in Bruni

Asherton HS, closed in 1999. Elementary still open. JH and HS kids go to Carrizo Springs

Sundeen HS in Corpus Christi. Was a rural school at the time. Out in the "Middle of nowhere" Closed in 1959. Located at what is now the intersection of South Padre Island Drive and Airline Rd.

Smiley HS (Not the one in Houston) in Smiley, TX. Consolidated with the nearby Nixon ISD in 1983 to form Nixon-Smiley HS

sahen
07-01-2011, 12:17 PM
There are lots of extinct schools in SE Texas

West Orange High and Stark High merged to form WO-S in 1977
Beaumont Charlton-Pollard and Beaumont French merged to form Beaumont Central in 1986
Beaumont Hebert and Beaumont Forest Park merged to form Beaumont West Brook in 1982 (Beaumont South Park merged in with West Brook a couple of years later)
Port Arthur Jefferson, Lincoln and SFA merged to form PA Memorial in 2002
There used to be a Cedar Bayou high school near Baytown that closed in 1954 (I assume it merged with Baytown Lee? as there's now a Cedar Bayou Jr. High in Baytown)
In Houston you had Houston San Jacinto which was located where the central Houston Community College is now and there also was Houston Elmore, Houston Lincoln and Houston Williams back in the day
Spring Branch ISD in Houston had Houston Westchester and Spring Branch High (both of which closed in the early '80's)

pretty good list...Cedar Bayou high school did merge with Baytown Lee when they were consolidated into Goose Creek, however now that junior high is split between Sterling and Lee....Baytown also had a Black School that was closed down and merged into Lee...Washington Carver I think, but can't remember...Cedar Bayou Junior High was actually the same building as the old high school until 10 years ago or so when they tore it down and built a new junior high on top of it...i think both Cedar Bayou and Washington Carver's football fields still exist complete with scoreboards (not necessarily functioning, though i think Cedar Bayou's does since they play Junior high ball there)....

the golden triangle area seems to be constantly morphing as their population will have extended periods of incline then decline...though now they seem to be stuck in population decline....

MUSTANG69
07-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Also, Solomon Cole High School in Corpus Christi.

Ernest T Bass
07-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Barstow High School closed and merged with Pecos HS. There's a really freakin' cool picture floating around somewhere of the old Barstow football field and scoreboard. Been looking for it for a few years now and can't find it anywhere.

lulu
07-01-2011, 12:50 PM
East Mountain High school in Upshur County. Consolidated with Gilmer in 1967.

NastySlot
07-01-2011, 12:59 PM

I didn't know that about Carter I have meet quite a few folks that went to Carter when it and Kimball were almost all white......................how about Dallas Booker T. Washington...........now the school for the performing arts..................Washington Famous Alum..........Mr Cub Ernie Banks.

MGAR
07-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Mayflower

It was located between Tatum and Lake Cherokee.. Produced a championship in 67' I believe.. Read that on a scoreboard..

Ernest T Bass
07-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Yep, and Crozier Tech was originally Dallas High School. I think Booker T has always been the arts magnet.

Maroon87
07-01-2011, 01:05 PM
What about Wilmer-Hutchins? Is it still defunct? I thought I had read something a while back that it might be resurrected....

MGAR
07-01-2011, 01:07 PM
What about Wilmer-Hutchins? Is it still defunct? I thought I had read something a while back that it might be resurrected....

W-H is back...

Ernest T Bass
07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Wilmer-Hutchins HS has been rennovated and will be reopened this year to replace Maceo Smith HS. So, instead of AMS being in the district with Madison, Ranchview, etc...it will WH.

Roughneck93
07-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Barstow High School closed and merged with Pecos HS. There's a really freakin' cool picture floating around somewhere of the old Barstow football field and scoreboard. Been looking for it for a few years now and can't find it anywhere.

ETB check this out...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameragirl/288123985/

Ernest T Bass
07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Nah, that's not it. It's in color, a side view, with a thunderstorm building in the background. It's pretty sweet.

Roughneck93
07-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Nah, that's not it. It's in color, a side view, with a thunderstorm building in the background. It's pretty sweet.

Gotcha. You're right, pretty hard to find.

buckeyebob
07-02-2011, 08:10 AM
And West Mountain had already consolidated with East Mountan...but with all the consolidations, we still have 7 ISD's in a county of 35,000 people.

Matthew328
07-02-2011, 09:55 AM
There's probably several hundred PVIL schools that could be mentioned

CelinaCatFan
07-02-2011, 01:15 PM
I miss the Bumblebees from Port Arthur Lincoln. Especially at the state basketball tournament. It was always entertaining when they played!

ExScoop
07-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Sheridan Broncos

Wallis Steers

Orchard Badgers

Hungerford Brahmas (Went to High School there one year in the 70s before finishing up at East Bernard

Eagle Lake Eagles

Beasley Bees

Crescent Bluejays (Between El Campo and Wharton)

Sugar Land Gators

Richmond Brahmas (Before Lamar Consolidated

Rosenberg (Forgot mascot) - Before Lamar Consolidated

Schuienburg Bishop Forest Rangers

Smiley (forgot mascot) before consolidating with Nixon

Damon (Between West Columbia and Needville) Don't know mascot

Blessing (Now called Tidehaven) between El Maton and Palacios

Missour City (Don't remember mascot)

Fulshear (Don't remember mascot)

Bull Butter
07-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Smiley was the Bantams

Kendleton, sometimes referred to as Powell Point. Saw them at regionals in Basketball a couple of times in the late 70's

OldNavy
07-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Alla Hubbard ISD merged with Celina ISD in 1958. The Celina High School building was built on the old All Hubbard School site, just a couple of mile north of Celina.

WOS1
07-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Another Orange school that was closed was Wallace Highschool. It was an all black school that was closed in the 60's and had won a state title in football. Many of the WO-S players grandparents and great grandparents went to Wallace. Even though the school was closed in the 60's the old building still stands today.

French tied with Odessa Permian in 1984 for the state co-championship (they were up 21-0 at one point in the game, the final was 21-21, I think). The school was merged with BCP to make Beaumont Central in 1986.

bobcat4life
07-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Alla Hubbard ISD merged with Celina ISD in 1958. The Celina High School building was built on the old All Hubbard School site, just a couple of mile north of Celina.

Weston had its own school at one point. Now all the kids there go to Celina.

Kelly Community was absorbed into Anna in the 60's

BLACK ATTACK
07-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Lubbock Dunbar