PDA

View Full Version : Sinton loses a hero in Afghanistan

spirate_9
06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Mark Goyet, U.S. Marine, and former Sinton Pirate, was killed in action during a firefight in Afghanistan. A grateful community, and nation, mourns with the Goyets at his passing. Please keep the Goyet family in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
Semper Fi.

Phil C
06-29-2011, 10:49 AM
My apologies spirate_9. I didn't realize this had been posted. A sad loss.

FmrPirate14
06-29-2011, 10:59 AM
He was a great athlete, fun teammate, had an amazing personality, but most of all he was an outstanding friend! His smile could light up a room and he could make anyone laugh. I'm gonna miss him and all the crazy things he did and said and all the times we hung out. R.I.P
Mark Goyet aka Goat. Only the good die young, well he was one of the greatest!

BEAST
06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Prayers for sure. God Bless him.

BEAST

Roughneck93
06-29-2011, 11:15 AM
God bless him and his family. RIP young man.

MUSTANG69
06-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Prayers from Ingleside.

pirate4state
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for posting S_pirate9.

Mark's dad Ray is a good friend of mine and my heart is heavy for him, his wife Martha and their family.

There has been such a tremendous out pouring of love and support from the Sinton community which speaks to how much Mark was loved and will be missed by all that knew him.

May he RIP and may God wrap his arms around his friends & family.

Cam
06-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Prayers for Mark and his family/friends. A child should never go before his parents. I can't imagine the heartache. Mark is one reason we're all here. I'm sure he "fought the good fight"!

bobcat1
06-29-2011, 05:54 PM
My heart goes out to his family. Prayers and condolences to them and the Sinton community.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3005/soldiersalute.gif

sinton66
06-29-2011, 06:05 PM
My daughter taught him in the seventh grade (her first year as a teacher). She told me today that she really liked Mark and felt really bad for his parents. Prayers go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace, Mark.

SintonFan
06-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Tragic news. We will pray for him and his family.

Old&Crusty
06-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you Marine. Rest in God's hand now.

trojandad
06-30-2011, 05:10 PM
reading what you folks have written about this young man has, over the last few days, brought me back to the memories of a young marine named gene campbell from cleveland....he was a junior when we met my freshman year at cleveland in 71, i was a freshman playing varsity and gene was this 6'5" hulk of a man that looked exactly like they drew the original superman comic, right down to the V chest, hair so dark it was blue with a curl right in the middle of his forehead and a smile that enabled you to see every last tooth in his head when he smiled....his nickname was superman in school due to all these likenesses....ffrom the first time i tried tackling him in practice and wouldnt back down from him running over me each time, we were inseparable.....he had not a single enemy in school and was an incredible example of a human being to be a teenager with all those attributes that would have caused most kids to be arrogant and full of themselves.....i know i was and i didnt have half going for me that gene did....

they had the draft in full swing when he graduated in 72 and his number came up #1, so he joined the marines instead of being drafted, telling me if he had to go "he was going with the best"....he and i exchanged at least 25 letters when he was over there, and he was a month from being home on leave (which we had a trip to padre planned for) when that fantastic, female swooning face of his was blown completely off while, as his dad and i found out much later, his buddies and he were in the process of taking the same hill for the 14th time in the previous 26 months, theyd take the hill, then vacate it, then retake it, over and over, no advancement, just retaking it for little apparent reason.....

after the funeral and back at his dads house, mr washburn gave me the letters gene had kept that i had written him, they were on his person with his blood stains on the plastic wrapper when he was killed....mr washburn, a very short rotund man that nobody would physically mistake for gene's dad in any way except his glowing personality, hugged me after handing me the letters and teared for at least 5 minutes....he made his living in the concrete/asphalt business and as id see him through the years, not a single meeting was any different.....when i last met him in public in the late 90s it was as fresh and stinging to his soul as the day it occured.....

as i read the way this young man, mark, had touched so many lives, i teared so badly i couldnt make out whether it was for mark, for gene, or both, but this i can tell you good folks, your treck thru this life just got a little tougher with this fine young man's departure....if its anything like gene itll be tough in a year, two, five, and youll be amazed how fresh and difficult it is....there wont be a day that goes by after this in the few years i have left here on earth that when genes memory passes my mind that i dont remember your mark with the same thoughts, and wonder how you folks are coping, and if your doing as lousy of a job coping as i am still after 40 some odd years, and just be amazed how two fine young men can bring me closer to a community ive never even driven thru before, but sure intend to try to after all this....nobodys heart could go out to a group of people more and im so very very sad for all of you......

pirate4state
07-01-2011, 09:34 AM
thanks trojandad

AP Panther Fan
07-01-2011, 01:06 PM
My heart goes out to this family, the friends and entire community of Sinton. Such a tragic loss.

It is befitting that we remember Mark, Gene and all of those who have fought and died for our freedom as well as those still halfway across the world during this holiday weekend.

Sending up a prayer for all involved as well as our for the future of our Nation.

mwrams
07-01-2011, 03:39 PM
My sincere condolences to the family, friends of this fine young man. As the brother of a Marine killed in action on the 4th of July, 1966. I know the pain his family will endure forever. I too have a son currently deployed as we speak. He is in his 11th month of this, we hope, the final deployment. My happiest moments were watching him on that field on Friday nights. Memories that will last forever. SEMPER FI, Marine!