PDA

View Full Version : I'm really scared right now

Cam
06-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Last year around May timeframe, Scott & White in Temple offered a program for any athlete to have their heart checked through various tests. So, we took our son to have them done. We were there actually watching as the doctors performed and echocardiogram. We were told everything was OK and that my son was clear to play his senior season. He went on to have an outstanding year.

Today, (over a year later!) we get a call from Scott & White asking us what became of the referral they gave us to followup with my son's possible condition. We were stunned! We never received a call or letter for any referral. So, the lady went on to explain we were supposed to followup with our doctors due to one his tests indicating a possible HCM condition. HCM is:
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a disease of the myocardium (the muscle of the heart) in which a portion of the myocardium is hypertrophied (thickened) without any obvious cause. It is perhaps most well-known as a leading cause of sudden cardiac death in young athletes.

Obviously, had we known this right after the tests, we never would've let him play and got him the proper care. Somebody dropped the ball on us! We are now hustling to get some answers from our doctors and find out what if anything is wrong. In the meantime, the Scott & White folks told us to have him take it easy. He's been going to summer workouts just to stay in shape. Today, when we get home from work we will tell him of this situation and what steps we must take. Hopefully, the test last year was a fluke.
When it comes to your kids, the fear of something being wrong is unbearable. Their is strength in numbers! I ask that you pray for Vincent (Vinny) and that everything is OK. I have faith he is completely healthy. And I know God has great plans for him.
Thanks Downlow!

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/burnet2/DSC_0387.jpg

AP Panther Fan
06-27-2011, 05:26 PM
What a handsome, young man! Hopefully your news will be good. This is one of those "better late than never" things, but it sure makes you shake your head as to why you weren't told sooner.

Roughneck93
06-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Hope everything turns out good for your son Cam. Thank God nothing happened during this past year and that it is in fact a false alarm.

TheDOCTORdre
06-27-2011, 07:28 PM
My wife has been visiting Scott and White in Temple for almost a year now, seeing various doctors for heart, stomach and brain problems. Was there a specific doctor that was particular to these tests?

LH Panther Mom
06-27-2011, 08:55 PM
My prayers are with you and your son. I hope that everything turns out well with the tests!

bobcat1
06-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Prayers up for Vinny right now. Thank goodness it was found now!

Tx Challenge
06-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Prayers for your son Cam. My oldest son (class of 05) has a heart murmur. It was diagnosed as a toddler. We went to every heart doc we could to get an opinion. Evidently these are common. We were assured he was fine. We let him play sports. Had the full test run 2 times a year. Never a problem. He went on to the Air Force Academy. Again, they knew his medical history. He played for 2 years before a shoulder injury shut him down. If you are a parent, you make decisions on the knowledge you have. I understand you are concerned. Get more test. I bet there is nothing major. Seems if it were really serious, they would have made more of an effort to contact you guys. Once you follow up, I bet you will find it is nothing to be concerned about. Let us know..

zebrablue2
06-27-2011, 11:33 PM
prayers said and sent!

RoyceTTU
06-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Cam, it's sure is good ya'll finally found it. Hopefully with the advancement in modern medicin everything will be fine. I'll be praying for your entire family for the strength to push forward.

trojandad
06-28-2011, 06:48 AM
if they made a mistake once, were just gonna believe they made a mistake again....were all with you, my friend.....hes gonna be better than ok.....

BEAST
06-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Prayers for sure Cam. Keep us posted.

BEAST

BILLYFRED0000
06-28-2011, 09:30 AM
amen amen amen and more prayers sent cam.

Cam
06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
My wife has been visiting Scott and White in Temple for almost a year now, seeing various doctors for heart, stomach and brain problems. Was there a specific doctor that was particular to these tests?

I just saw the copies of the tests this morning. Only doctors initials are on them. There's a "JM" and a "BJ" it looks like. I do remember at least two cardio guys in the room during the echocardiogram. Our doctor this morning ordered another echo but date not set yet. Vinny doesn't seem too concerned about it. Then again, he's always been pretty fearless.....unlike his dad who's still scared of the dark and breaks into a trot whenever he turns off a roomlight! LOL!.......Thanks folks for your prayers/comments. Just goes to show, we might all like to bicker, argue, pick on, and ruffle each other's feathers....but, it's all in fun with the DownLow Family! Cept for maybe Rocket vs. Orange Machine...if those two ever came face to face, it could get ugly! LOL!!! Love ya'll!

Old Dog
06-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Prayers sent from old dog and family. We'll be thinking of yall.....

poisoned10
06-28-2011, 09:07 PM
TX Challenge, I was diagnosed with a heart murmer when I went for my physical prior to my freshman year.

They assured us as well that it is very common and nothing serious. One of the valves of my heart doesn't completely close so a little blood goes back in. I played 1 year of football and 4 years of basketball and baseball without any problems.

I remember being scared to death when the doc first told me about it.

greendawg84
06-29-2011, 09:07 AM
God has may plans for Vinny in the future , and he is tuff as nails . That boy could eat his way out of any situation if need be.

Let us know if you need anything.

Old Dog
06-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Keeping your son in our prayers

1st and goal
06-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Prayers from Giddings. I know what you mean when it's your kid that's ailing. Prayers for you 2 parents too.

44INAROW
06-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Prayers that everything is AOK with Vinny..... PLease keep us posted :)

trojandad
06-29-2011, 11:00 PM
praying for you and yours.....

you have my problem, having a kid so handsome it has to be because he has a beautiful mom.....

pancho villa
06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I hope will be ok. Good looking kid. As a dad I know you worry more about your kids than yourself. I do.

BLEEDZGREEN
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Our thoughts & well wishes are with your family.