PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Brownwood for the 7 on 7 SQT...

BLEEDZGREEN
06-22-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm filling in coaching for Burnet & I have never been to Brownwood. Which restaurant has the best food? :D

RoyceTTU
06-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Humphrey Pete's
The Sticks bar-b-que
Lemon's Bar-b-que
The Train Car
Schlotsky's

bwdlionfan
06-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Also Gomez Mexican Food (but only if you like it really greasy which I do)

Section Hand Steakhouse is also good

BwdLion73
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
I know this will start an argument, but go ahead and stop by Underwoods if you have a group. Variety of entrees beef steak, ribs, chicken fried steak ect. Good sides and Hot rolls and Cobbler.

Its a newcomers tradtion.

pero chato
06-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Steves!

Gsquared
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I like the Sticks BBQ. Get the ribs and the bake potato with brisket inside. Good stuff

Old LB
06-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
I know this will start an argument, but go ahead and stop by Underwoods if you have a group. Variety of entrees beef steak, ribs, chicken fried steak ect. Good sides and Hot rolls and Cobbler.

Go to Underwoods, everyone has different taste but Royce's list is a no go for me.

Eagle 1
06-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Also Gomez Mexican Food (but only if you like it really greasy which I do)

Section Hand Steakhouse is also good

Is Gomez still open?
I went by there the other day and there was sign on the door that said closed until further notice.
I hope not, because I like their greasy mexican food too.

bwdlionfan
06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Is Gomez still open?
I went by there the other day and there was sign on the door that said closed until further notice.

I hadn't heard they closed, I haven't been to Brownwood in a couple of months. I'll see what I can find out.

Matthew328
06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Underwood's but you should try it once..

RoyceTTU
06-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I like the Sticks BBQ. Get the ribs and the bake potato with brisket inside. Good stuff

The bake potato with chopped brisket is great. thats what I get there. Great minds think alike :eek:

bwdlionfan
06-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared

This isn't sports related? :p

BwdLion73
06-22-2011, 12:35 PM
This isn't sports related? :p

With the exception of the Train Car, Sticks is the closest resturant to Gordon Wood Stadium. ;)

bwdlionfan
06-22-2011, 12:37 PM
With the exception of the Train Car, Sticks is the closest resturant to Gordon Wood Stadium. ;)

What is the name of the place that used to be on the corner across from the junior high?

RoyceTTU
06-22-2011, 12:39 PM
What is the name of the place that used to be on the corner across from the junior high?

The Hickory Stick. The Preston's sold it to the Clemons. The Clemons changed the name and built a new building. That is how The Sticks came about. I'm pretty sure

BLEEDZGREEN
06-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Humphrey Pete's
The Sticks bar-b-que
Lemon's Bar-b-que
The Train Car
Schlotsky's
Thanks Royce, But SCHLOTSKY'S?! :confused:

bwdlionfan
06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
The Hickory Stick. The Preston's sold it to the Clemons. The Clemons changed the name and built a new building. That is how The Sticks came about. I'm pretty sure

I knew the name was similar... so it is pretty much the same place as the Sticks?

bwdlionfan
06-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Is Gomez still open?

A friend of mine just called them, they are open

BLEEDZGREEN
06-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Preciate it BwdLion73, that sounds good, My wife & I love a good chicken fried steak with good sides & some cobbler for dessert.

RoyceTTU
06-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BLEEDZGREEN

The owner is a very good friend of mine so I try to throw it in whenever I can :D

BEAST
06-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Preciate it BwdLion73, that sounds good, My wife & I love a good chicken fried steak with good sides & some cobbler for dessert.

If you want a chicken fried go to humphrey petes.

BEAST

Matthew328
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM

I LOL'd at Schlotsky's also...if Brownwood starts touting come eat at our Scholotzsky's they are in bigger trouble than I thought

cr180t
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
If you want a chicken fried go to humphrey petes.

BEAST

It is one of the best. There are plenty of good places to eat there.

BEAST
06-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by cr180t
It is one of the best. There are plenty of good places to eat there.

Why arent yall coming to our SQT?

BEAST

bwdlionfan
06-22-2011, 12:58 PM

BEAST

What schools will be there?

cr180t
06-22-2011, 01:08 PM

BEAST

We had planned on it. We knew a few kids would be out of town and thought it would still work. Then several more were going on vacations with the ones that we already knew were going. Hope that made sense. We also had a few going to camps. It is a very good tournament.

Matthew328
06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm hoping I can get Snyder to come to Bowie on July 1 for the last chance tournament...but I'm not feeling real good about it..any update cr180t?

cr180t
06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I'm hoping I can get Snyder to come to Bowie on July 1 for the last chance tournament...but I'm not feeling real good about it..any update cr180t?
Not sure I know they are talking about it.

Matthew328
06-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Cool..Bowie still has some spots...if they want to go I'll be waiting for the call!!

BLEEDZGREEN
06-22-2011, 01:50 PM
The owner is a very good friend of mine so I try to throw it in whenever I can :D

LOL!...Nothing wrong with that don't get me wrong Schlotzkys is alright but not this weekend. :cool:

BLEEDZGREEN
06-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks everybody looks like it's out of Sticks, Pete's & Underwood's.
I had Mexican food in Bandera last week so I'm gonna go a different route this weekend. My son can eat & I know he will be starving after the tourney.

RoyceTTU
06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
I had Mexican food in Bandera last week so I'm gonna go a different route this weekend. My son can eat & I know he will be starving after the tourney.

Lemon's bar-b-que is right across the street from the sticks and IMO is better than the sticks. neat atmosphere also. They are both great though.

If you go, make sure you get a smoked jalapeno. You might want to get some ice-cream for the ride home though:eek: :eek:

BLEEDZGREEN
06-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Lemon's bar-b-que is right across the street from the sticks and IMO is better than the sticks. neat atmosphere also. They are both great though.

If you go, make sure you get a smoked jalapeno. You might want to get some ice-cream for the ride home though:eek: :eek:

Okay I'll throw them in there also.

BEAST
06-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Are you going to be looking for good food and possibly a cold beer? If so, its Petes hands down.

If beer isnt in the equation, they are all good.

BEAST

Cam
06-22-2011, 03:20 PM

I don't know TTU...a smoked jalapeno chased by some ice-cream for a guy who I bet is lactose intolerant....hmmm....sounds to me like you're tryin' to make BLEEDZGREEN BLEEDZRED! I can already hear him screamin' "stop the car there's some bushes" before he even gets to Goldthwaite!......:D

BLEEDZGREEN
06-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Are you going to be looking for good food and possibly a cold beer? If so, its Petes hands down.

If beer isnt in the equation, they are all good.

BEAST

Just looking for good food Beast, my wife doesn't like driving long distance so I usually wait till I get home to start popping tops. :D

Looking4number8
06-22-2011, 04:30 PM
I sell groceries to most of these restaurants so I really should not pick a favorite but I will. Pete's, The Sticks and Runaway Train are the best and of those I would pick the Sticks

Petes has a wide menu and very cute waitresses that makes them worth the price.

Runaway Train just does a good job on the limited menu they have. Everything on the menu (which is mostly burgers) is done about as well as they can be done

The Sticks is my favorite not only because the owner and I have been friends since high school and running buddies since college but because in the last few years he has really expanded his menu. If you are in the mood for BBQ his is as good or better than anyone elses but I would recomend some of the new things. Try the pepperbelly burger of brother-in-law sandwich or the redneck ruben! The new stuffed and smoked peppers are awesome! The only bad thing I have to say about The Sticks is the owners-wifes family is a little shady... aint that right Beast :p

Seriously though any of the three are very good options

BEAST
06-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I sell groceries to most of these restaurants so I really should not pick a favorite but I will. Pete's, The Sticks and Runaway Train are the best and of those I would pick the Sticks

Runaway Train just does a good job on the limited menu they have. Everything on the menu (which is mostly burgers) is done about as well as they can be done

The Sticks is my favorite not only because the owner and I have been friends since high school and running buddies since college but because in the last few years he has really expanded his menu. If you are in the mood for BBQ his is as good or better than anyone elses but I would recomend some of the new things. Try the pepperbelly burger of brother-in-law sandwich or the redneck ruben! The new stuffed and smoked peppers are awesome! The only bad thing I have to say about The Sticks is the owners-wifes family is a little shady... aint that right Beast :p

You got that right. That old bat is some kind of scary. By the way, I love that pepperbelly burger. It is off of the charts.

BEAST

RoyceTTU
06-22-2011, 04:50 PM

I've never understood why he don't cook more chicken. It's a running joke with my wife and I, we can show up 2 hours before closing time, before we order I'll tell her they are out of chicken. 80% of the time I'm correct. But all in all its still great food.

Looking4number8
06-22-2011, 05:10 PM
I've never understood why he don't cook more chicken. It's a running joke with my wife and I, we can show up 2 hours before closing time, before we order I'll tell her they are out of chicken. 80% of the time I'm correct. But all in all its still great food.

Well that's easy. Brisket, sausage, spare ribs and other items smoked on the grill in a bbq restaurant usually are not served the same day they are cooked in order to let the flavor set in. Chicken must be served within a few hours of being cooked and can not be reheated both because of health regulations and just plain quality. So the goal is to cook the exact amount of chicken you will need at lunch and then do the same for dinner. Of course it is always a guessing game because the left overs need to be trashed therefore wasted food cost.... see my old restaurant days are still with me.. lol

BLEEDZGREEN
06-22-2011, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the breakdown & recomendations Looking4number8 very helpful.

Antec
06-22-2011, 10:57 PM
I haven't been in Brownwood since East Bernard won the Class A state championship back in 1977

Bosqueville
06-24-2011, 08:41 AM
For Italian, Prima Pasta is greatness!

slingshot
06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Sticks=over-rated (kinda like Joe Allen's here... ). Humphry Pete's is real good, I like Underwood's (not burned out on it like the locals). Prima Pasta is real good. Section Hand used to be real good, not so much now...