PDA

View Full Version : 4a vs 5a

Ernest T Bass
06-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Got my copy of DCTF and saw where the HC at Aledo said that if the top 10 in 4a were to play the corresponding top 10 in 5a(1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc...) that 4a would win at least 50%. What chawl think about that? Here's my pics.

#1 Aledo vs Allen-Allen by 20
#2 Lake Travis vs Katy-Katy by 10
#3 Denton Ryan vs Desoto-Desoto by 4(DR could possibly pull this one off)
#4 Euless Trinity vs Cedar Park-Trinity by 28
#5 Pearland vs La Marque-Pearland by 6(LM could possibly pull this one off)
#6 Cibolo Steele vs Smithson Valley-SV by 3
#7 Coppell vs Brenham-Coppell by 16
#8 North Shore vs Stephenvile-Da Sho' by 28
#9 Arlington Martin vs Highland Park-HP by 3
#10 Southlake Carroll vs Hewitt Midway-SLC by 14

jason
06-21-2011, 03:43 PM
don't see how they have stephenville so high...

they're going to be .500 this year...maybe....

Ernest T Bass
06-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by jason
don't see how they have stephenville so high...

they're going to be .500 this year...maybe....

Didnt most people(myself included) think the same thing last year after Miles was gone?

Matthew328
06-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Stephenville plays a brutal non-district.

They should beat Brownwood and Abilene Wylie...they'll lose to Horn and Aledo...Hebron is a toss up IMO...

They'll go 4-1 in district...they'll go four deep once again...they get high rankings because they matchup well with Aledo and usually play them very tough

Gsquared
06-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Didnt most people(myself included) think the same thing last year after Miles was gone?
That D-Line held them steady last year, plus, they way they are situated in the region, they get a decent draw in the playoffs. Booo Yahhhhhh. That completes 100 % football posts for me, two days in a row!!!!!

Ernest T Bass
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
That D-Line held them steady last year, plus, they way they are situated in the region, they get a decent draw in the playoffs. Booo Yahhhhhh. That completes 100 % football posts for me, two days in a row!!!!!

D-line? Even with that slap coachin'em?

Gsquared
06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
D-line? Even with that slap coachin'em?
Yeah, just think how good they coulda been if they had a different D-Line coach that actually knew what he was doin. :p He was way to worried about Goo Goo curses rather than gap assignments :clap:

jason
06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
That D-Line held them steady last year, plus, they way they are situated in the region, they get a decent draw in the playoffs. Booo Yahhhhhh. That completes 100 % football posts for me, two days in a row!!!!! d-line is going to have to shut out every team for them to win...

their offense will struggle with a new quarterback...

RoyceTTU
06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
d-line is going to have to shut out every team for them to win...

their offense will struggle with a new quarterback...

Wasn't there a good RB named Edwards that filled in nicely when Miles took his hiatus?

Matthew328
06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
QB was one of the main reasons they struggled last year....kid they have who will likely start is a very good runner...I think they may be better on O because they won't turn the ball over as much

Old LB
06-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Stephenville plays a brutal non-district.

They should beat Brownwood and Abilene Wylie...they'll lose to Horn and Aledo...Hebron is a toss up IMO...

They'll go 4-1 in district...they'll go four deep once again...they get high rankings because they matchup well with Aledo and usually play them very tough

You can't predict Brownwood/Stephenville! Brownwood is gonna be better than ya'll think. Now I would have to agree with the Wylie prediction. :D

jason
06-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
QB was one of the main reasons they struggled last year....kid they have who will likely start is a very good runner...I think they may be better on O because they won't turn the ball over as much thats what folks around town are saying...

going to start a sophomore over a 3 year starting senior....

hollywood
06-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Always fun to hypothetically predict.

Matthew328
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
thats what folks around town are saying...

That should tell how the coaches feel about the senior

hollywood
06-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Aledo will be very salty again this year with their main two play makers returning for a third season.

Stephenville will be hard to predict how good they'll be, but I expect them to be pretty dang good. They lost some beef up front on both sides but the play makers are all back.

As far as Stephenville competing against Aledo and Brownwood... you never know who's going to win in those matchups. I think they'll give Aledo another run for their money but fall short again in the end and then a tough loss against Brownwood. Brownwood will be bigger and more run oriented and very physical.

hollywood
06-21-2011, 04:33 PM
thats what folks around town are saying...

Hearing the same. But I thought he was going to be a frosh?

jason
06-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
Hearing the same. But I thought he was going to be a frosh? either way, how do you tell a 3 year starting qb, who is a senior, that they are starting a freshman or sophomore over him?

don't see this season being much different than the last two - first and last games will be losses to aledo...

MGAR
06-21-2011, 04:37 PM
either way, how do you tell a 3 year starting qb, who is a senior, that they are starting a freshman or sophomore over him?

don't see this season being much different than the last two - first and last games will be losses to aledo...

Can they move the SR to another position?

hollywood
06-21-2011, 04:41 PM
either way, how do you tell a 3 year starting qb, who is a senior, that they are starting a freshman or sophomore over him?

Yep, I agree. That's a tough call! But, what's best for the team? It's going to be the buzz around town come August/Sept... you can guarantee that.

bigwood33
06-21-2011, 05:15 PM
ETB, matchups matter. I think it is certainly difficult to predict but I would say that you could probably set up a scenario where the 5A teams COULD go 10-0 or if you take a hard look at the matchups, the 4A teams might win 5 or 6 of the games. As an example, I think that Aledo would drill SLC and I am not sure that Arlington Martin would beat many if any of the 4A teams. I don't think it is as easy as 1 v 1, 2 v 2, etc. I imagine that if it were that way, 4A would probably win 4 games. BTW, HP won't be a top 10 team very long. I saw them play last year in the playoffs and I am quite sure that Argyle would have beaten them by 2 or 3 td's.

Ernest T Bass
06-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
ETB, matchups matter. I think it is certainly difficult to predict but I would say that you could probably set up a scenario where the 5A teams COULD go 10-0 or if you take a hard look at the matchups, the 4A teams might win 5 or 6 of the games. As an example, I think that Aledo would drill SLC and I am not sure that Arlington Martin would beat many if any of the 4A teams. I don't think it is as easy as 1 v 1, 2 v 2, etc. I imagine that if it were that way, 4A would probably win 4 games. BTW, HP won't be a top 10 team very long. I saw them play last year in the playoffs and I am quite sure that Argyle would have beaten them by 2 or 3 td's.

But, Aledo's coach said 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc...so that's what I was going by.

bigwood33
06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
But, Aledo's coach said 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc...so that's what I was going by.
I could see 4 of the 4A teams winning but my guess is that both top 10's are bogus with at least 2 and possibly 4 pretenders there so I would rather take a look at the end of season top 10's and make the comparison...right now the pretenders could ruin it for either group.

eagles_victory
06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
You can't predict Brownwood/Stephenville! Brownwood is gonna be better than ya'll think. Now I would have to agree with the Wylie prediction. :D I dont know Stephenville is going to have a hard time making up the depth issue that playing a school with the enrollment size of Wylie causes.

bwdlionfan
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I dont know Stephenville is going to have a hard time making up the depth issue that playing a school with the enrollment size of Wylie causes.

:D

Ernest T Bass
06-21-2011, 06:27 PM
I could see 4 of the 4A teams winning but my guess is that both top 10's are bogus with at least 2 and possibly 4 pretenders there so I would rather take a look at the end of season top 10's and make the comparison...right now the pretenders could ruin it for either group.

DCTF's preseason top 10 is what was referred to in the article, so that's what I went by. You really need to get you a copy so you can keep up.

Roughneck93
06-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Got my copy of DCTF and saw where the HC at Aledo said that if the top 10 in 4a were to play the corresponding top 10 in 5a(1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc...) that 4a would win at least 50%. What chawl think about that? Here's my pics.

#1 Aledo vs Allen-Allen by 20
#2 Lake Travis vs Katy-Katy by 10
#3 Denton Ryan vs Desoto-Desoto by 4(DR could possibly pull this one off)
#4 Euless Trinity vs Cedar Park-Trinity by 28
#5 Pearland vs La Marque-Pearland by 6(LM could possibly pull this one off)
#6 Cibolo Steele vs Smithson Valley-SV by 3
#7 Coppell vs Brenham-Coppell by 16
#8 North Shore vs Stephenvile-Da Sho' by 28
#9 Arlington Martin vs Highland Park-HP by 3
#10 Southlake Carroll vs Hewitt Midway-SLC by 14

My picks...and I'm not really sure on a lot of them. I would make the trip to see an Allen/Aledo matchup.
#1 Allen
#2 Katy
#3 DeSoto
#4 Trinity
#5 Pearland
#6 SV
#7 Coppell
#8 North Shore
#9 HP
#10 SC

Ernest T Bass
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Roughneck93
My picks...and I'm not really sure on a lot of them. I would make the trip to see an Allen/Aledo matchup.
#1 Allen
#2 Katy
#3 DeSoto
#4 Trinity
#5 Pearland
#6 SV
#7 Coppell
#8 North Shore
#9 HP
#10 SC

Allen is on a completely different level than everyone else this year. They would destroy Aledo.
I'd go see Steele/Smithson Valley or Desoto/Ryan.

Roughneck93
06-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Allen is on a completely different level than everyone else this year. They would destroy Aledo.
I'd go see Steele/Smithson Valley or Desoto/Ryan.

Yeah a DeSoto/Ryan matchup would be a good game to watch. I look forward to seeing what Steele does post Malcolm Brown era. I hear soph Justin Stockton will be good though.

bigwood33
06-21-2011, 09:14 PM
DCTF's preseason top 10 is what was referred to in the article, so that's what I went by. You really need to get you a copy so you can keep up.
I have it and I understand what you are saying. I just doubt that those are the actual top 10 in each classification. I doubt seriously that the coach from Aledo actually looked at and thought about who was in the top 10 but probably responded to a question. I still think the lists are bogus (not really the 10 best in each classification).

Ernest T Bass
06-21-2011, 09:15 PM
I have it and I understand what you are saying. I just doubt that those are the actual top 10 in each classification. I doubt seriously that the coach from Aledo actually looked at and thought about who was in the top 10 but probably responded to a question. I still think the lists are bogus (not really the 10 best in each classification).

All I can work with is the information that is presented to me.

wildstangs
06-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
Hearing the same. But I thought he was going to be a frosh?

Must be talking about Steadham. Was a man against boys during our game with them this year. I believe he was held back a year which means he is sophomore age, but still a freshman.

Will be a stud in basketball as well in a few years.

upper20
06-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Must be talking about Steadham. Was a man against boys during our game with them this year. I believe he was held back a year which means he is sophomore age, but still a freshman.

What about their JV QB last year? He was plenty good - was surprised he was not on Varsity.

hollywood
06-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs

Yes. Man amongst boys. Not many if any QB's have started or even played as frosh for Sville.

hollywood
06-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by upper20
What about their JV QB last year? He was plenty good - was surprised he was not on Varsity.

He should be a contender as well.