PDA

View Full Version : What kept you out of trouble growing up.

RoyceTTU
06-21-2011, 07:39 AM
For me it was disappointment from my parents and embarrasment from my peers and a drive for something better in my life.

There is one thing that will crush me faster than any, seeing my mother cry. That alone would steer me in the right direction. I for sure made my mistakes but these things kept me going.

Blastoderm55
06-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Fear of a butt-whoopin.

Roughneck93
06-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Fear of a butt-whoopin.

This.
That alone kept me in line. I had a lot of aunts and uncles. And everyone of them would whip our butt if needed.

95mustang
06-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Respect! Respect for my parents, my friends, my team mates, and most of all for myself. My parents taught me respect at an early age and I hope I am passing along those lessons to my children.

Farmersfan
06-21-2011, 08:09 AM
I was raised by a single mom in a small West Texas town with ZERO help from my father. Both my older brother and my younger sister got into a lot of trouble so I saw early on the path their life was taking. I vowed I would not take that path!

forum_guy
06-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Not getting caught :D

jason
06-21-2011, 08:26 AM
common sense

bobcat1
06-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Nothing seemed to work but age. :D My butt had calluses by the time I was 10. I was beat with broom handles and knocked out twice by my Dad. Had lots of runnin' U's left by that thin black belt. After my sophomore year in High School I began to mature and started following the rules. Life got easier.

GrTigers6
06-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Caring but firm parents, threat of butt whooping and having to shovel rocks out of my uncles gravel driveway to pay him back for shooting out windshield from his pastured 1949 ford pickup. Which was the only thing on it that was still in good shape. All five of them, :D

Looking4number8
06-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Caring but firm parents, threat of butt whooping and having to shovel rocks out of my uncles gravel driveway to pay him back for shooting out windshield from his pastured 1949 ford pickup. Which was the only thing on it that was still in good shape. All five of them, :D

I always thought and still think my dad is Santa Claus... any thing I did my father knew about it before I got home... sucked to be a kid in Brownwood back then when parents helped each other out... on a side note, my kids thought the same thing and it's awesome to be a parent in a town like Brownwood where parents help each other out.

But this is what mainly kept me out of trouble...

pirate4state
06-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Fear of a butt-whoopin.

LOL

I think I was 10 the last time I got a spanking. After that whenever I got in trouble it was "the talk" ... I think I preferred the spanking...it was much easier to deal with than the "you've disappointed me & your mother" talk :(

BEAST
06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
2 things. A loving a supporting mom and a dad that did the same but would also bring the thunder when needed.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
06-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Did anyone really stay out of trouble? and no I dont mean drugs or robbery, but most of us on here have great stories about times we did and did not get caught doing stupid stuff

I remember in 1990 year we won state couple of our players after beating Tyler Lee were caught driving around town with some liquor in the car..the cop simply drove them all home and it was no big deal...now days that would be on the internet an hour after it happened.

nobogey72
06-21-2011, 09:32 AM
The thing that kept me out of trouble was the fact that there was no such thing as surveillance cameras back then.

RoyceTTU
06-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Did anyone really stay out of trouble? and no I dont mean drugs or robbery, but most of us on here have great stories about times we did and did not get caught doing stupid stuff

Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I for sure made my mistakes but these things kept me going.

Oh yeah, I made my share of terrible decisions. Me and some friends alegedly stole 20-30 Stephenville athletic yard signs. Somehow they showed up once the Chairman of the School Board of Brownwood found out. Who knows where they came from :thinking:

GrTigers6
06-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

Originally posted by GrTigers6

I always thought and still think my dad is Santa Claus... any thing I did my father knew about it before I got home... sucked to be a kid in Brownwood back then when parents helped each other out... on a side note, my kids thought the same thing and it's awesome to be a parent in a town like Brownwood where parents help each other out.

But this is what mainly kept me out of trouble... I know what you mean, I grew up in Santa Anna. Where everyone knows everyone. Cant get away with nothing.

coach
06-21-2011, 10:06 AM
I was always getting a butt whippin or lecture from my parents. But, if you are talking about serious trouble then I can honestly say sports is what kept me clean. I was always busy with sports and didn't has time to get caught up in all that mess.

BaseballUmp
06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
I think for me was the fact that my brother was always in trouble so I tried to make things easier on my parents by being "the good one" Sure I got into some trouble but mainly I didn't want people to think I was just like my brother. Every time I go home, my dad tells me that he never has to worry about me so that's pretty much enough to make me happy.

MJMbrahmas10
06-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Dang basebLl ump. You sound exactly like me

LionFan72
06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Fear of my father's right hand, and a lot of luck.

And a caring bunch of neighbors looking out for all us heathens!

SintonFan
06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Fear of a butt-whoopin.

That was a big part of it.

And then there was the weekly confessions at church. Something about spilling all your sins to the priest every week...
brutal!
Being Catholic as a teenager was tough.:doh:

Old Tiger
06-21-2011, 12:27 PM
disappointment to parents

bulldog82
06-21-2011, 12:40 PM
The Drug Problem in America
The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''
I replied: "I had a drug problem when I was young":
I was drug to church on Sunday morning.
I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.
I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.
I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood;

and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.
Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
~author unknown~

Cam
06-21-2011, 01:39 PM
playin' with myself kept me out of trouble....ahh...I mean't playin' with my Tonka toys, electric football, etc......

Antec
06-21-2011, 01:48 PM
I was always in troubles seems like as kid in school and with my parent

Got a lot of whipping with my dad's belts- a slap by my mom and plenty of paddlings in school.

Didn't get in trouble with the law. Was a big partier when I turned 18 as junior ans senior in high school

I feel like I disappointed my parents since I didn't make good grades in school or colllege

Teachers passed me in high school and dropped out of a lot of classes at a junior college and at Concordia Lutheran College in Austin.

Went though tons of jobs in ny 20s and 30s because of problems

Was lucky to work as a newspaper writer for almost 27 years before I got fired in Feb.

I doubt that I will ever work again. I have just about given up on employment and will live on disability

The last 5 year of my life has been tough with my dad dying etc

At least I have a wife who puts up with all my mental problems with bi-polar, anger and depression.

lostaussie
06-21-2011, 01:52 PM
somewhere around a 44 inch belt:D

Ernest T Bass
06-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I honestly never had much problem with this. I had a big chip on my shoulder from about 14 until about 17, so I got into a lot of fights. But other than that, I was a pretty good kid. I grew up on a cattle ranch about 2 miles from the nearest neighbor. So, between that and football I stayed pretty busy, and there wasn't much trouble to get into anyway. Plus, my old man was/is a cop.

buckeyebob
06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I was a hellyun...the devil made me do it and I need a spanking.

bobcat1
06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by bulldog82
The Drug Problem in America
The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''
I replied: "I had a drug problem when I was young":
I was drug to church on Sunday morning.
I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.
I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.
I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood;

and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.
Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
~author unknown~ :clap: :clap: :clap:

ccmom
06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Well, I had loving, involved, supportive but stern parents and I STILL found a way to get in my share of trouble...maybe more than my share. :( None of my trouble involved jail time or anything like that, but boy was I rebellious. :dispntd: :dispntd:

I'm sorry, Mom!! :kiss:

eagles_victory
06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Well, I had loving, involved, supportive but stern parents and I STILL found a way to get in my share of trouble...maybe more than my share. :( None of my trouble involved jail time or anything like that, but boy was I rebellious. :dispntd: :dispntd:

I'm sorry, Mom!! :kiss: Smh

TheDOCTORdre
06-21-2011, 08:04 PM
a well devised plan, an exit strategy and a fall guy

bobcat1
06-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ccmom

I'm sorry, Mom!! :kiss: Yep me too. My Dad was real stern though. My trouble always centered around me missing curfew or coming home on time and slipping back out. Usually it involved girls and drinking and because of both I thought it was worth it. But hey, all my friends did it too. :D Would I change it now. Probably not. I lived through it and Memories are priceless.:cool:

STANG RED
06-21-2011, 08:39 PM
I was my mothers little angel, and to this day have never done anything wrong, or said a cross word to or about anyone. But above all, I'm a very humble person, and have always been perfect.:D

bobcat1
06-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I was my mothers little angel, and to this day have never done anything wrong, or said a cross word to or about anyone. But above all, I'm a very humble person, and have always been perfect.:D My aching arse!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ernest T Bass
06-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
My aching arse!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Have a date last night?

Daddy D 11
06-21-2011, 09:00 PM
fear that my dad would whoop my ass was the sole motivator for me to keep my butt outta trouble

zebrablue2
06-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Many hand slaps when they are young, and a look into their eyes they will never forget! About 3 butt spankings before the age of 10, and we never had any problems out of all 3. This is how I was raised, and it worked with mine!

FB-fanatic
06-21-2011, 10:52 PM
I was a freshman in high school, studying for church confirmation, and was supposed to take a "test" at church that night before but I skipped it. Right in the middle of two-a-day practice, my mom pulls up, hops out of the car, and drags me out of practice by my ear in front of God and everybody... lesson learning time was upon me.

Antec
06-21-2011, 10:59 PM
It was tough for me growing up as the only child.

I had a lot of ups and downs in my childhood and as teenager

I acted up quite a bit but my parents discipline didn't seem to work.

I wish I would have been a better person and would have been better in school.

I was lucky to graduate high school and took 5 years. Because of where we lived in Hungerford-I was forced to go there my junior year instead of East Bernard

trojandad
06-22-2011, 12:23 AM
charles broussard.....

was our line coach and counselor, played on the early 60's prairie view teams with otis taylor of the chiefs back when they were dubbed the black UT....we called him "moby" cause he was pushing 400 lbs by then, couldnt walk much and snorted ike a crazed bull when he breathed....frankly, an arrogant 17 yr old white kid pretty much considered him a waste of air without much to offer anyone, ESPECIALLY anything having to do with mental power....

i was a 17 yr old kid coming to school wasted most days since we had just moved to a smaller house, my dad didnt have a separate room for his bar like he did in the old house and moved it in my room....i convinced him every day that he emptied the vodka bottle when he came in from work and started drinking the night before....he kept filling it up and i kept emptying it for him....i was making A's in my sleep, all district teams while giving half assed efforts, just pretty much believing this life was pretty damn simple....

so one day in the spring before my senior year he calls me to his office and shows me a 30 minute film on barbara jordan, a us representative from houston who led her black college to a defeat of harvard in the national debate competition and was at that time sitting on the watergate panel investigating nixon.....he said nothing, only snorting and i was wondering why i was having to watch a film on an overachieving, really ugly black woman (teenagers brain).....it finished, he turned, looked at me and said "must be a hell of a note knowing a poor ugly black women with half your advantages is going to leave you in the dust".....

never used the F word with an instructor before that, it just belched out of my inner man, i ran off to the john, looked aat the mirror and knew damn well what he was trying to say....i thought i had it all buried behind my good grades and field performance, and now i saw i was revealed for what i was, and i was embarrassed....

that week i joined AA, got a jackass of a 47 yr old sponsor, and got myself sober.....my last multi drink day was July 3, 1973, only a glass of wine at a meal since then......coach moby was sitting in the audience when i got my bachelors, when i got my masters and when he passed his son called me asking me if id be a pallbearer....i told him i sure would if i thought for a minute i could hold it together, so he told me to sit with his family....

i have no idea where id be without coach moby, its scary to think about.....

bobcat1
06-22-2011, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Have a date last night? Yes with your Mom.

RoyceTTU
06-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Yes with your Mom.

ETB's Mom is a DUDE :eek: :eek:

waterboy
06-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
charles broussard.....

was our line coach and counselor, played on the early 60's prairie view teams with otis taylor of the chiefs back when they were dubbed the black UT....we called him "moby" cause he was pushing 400 lbs by then, couldnt walk much and snorted ike a crazed bull when he breathed....frankly, an arrogant 17 yr old white kid pretty much considered him a waste of air without much to offer anyone, ESPECIALLY anything having to do with mental power....

i was a 17 yr old kid coming to school wasted most days since we had just moved to a smaller house, my dad didnt have a separate room for his bar like he did in the old house and moved it in my room....i convinced him every day that he emptied the vodka bottle when he came in from work and started drinking the night before....he kept filling it up and i kept emptying it for him....i was making A's in my sleep, all district teams while giving half assed efforts, just pretty much believing this life was pretty damn simple....

so one day in the spring before my senior year he calls me to his office and shows me a 30 minute film on barbara jordan, a us representative from houston who led her black college to a defeat of harvard in the national debate competition and was at that time sitting on the watergate panel investigating nixon.....he said nothing, only snorting and i was wondering why i was having to watch a film on an overachieving, really ugly black woman (teenagers brain).....it finished, he turned, looked at me and said "must be a hell of a note knowing a poor ugly black women with half your advantages is going to leave you in the dust".....

never used the F word with an instructor before that, it just belched out of my inner man, i ran off to the john, looked aat the mirror and knew damn well what he was trying to say....i thought i had it all buried behind my good grades and field performance, and now i saw i was revealed for what i was, and i was embarrassed....

that week i joined AA, got a jackass of a 47 yr old sponsor, and got myself sober.....my last multi drink day was July 3, 1973, only a glass of wine at a meal since then......coach moby was sitting in the audience when i got my bachelors, when i got my masters and when he passed his son called me asking me if id be a pallbearer....i told him i sure would if i thought for a minute i could hold it together, so he told me to sit with his family....

i have no idea where id be without coach moby, its scary to think about.....
:clap: That's an awesome story! Thanks for sharing!:clap: Things sure have changed since then.

garciap77
06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Fear of a butt-whoopin.

:iagree:

Mexican Style "butt-whoopin"!

BEAST
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

Mexican Style "butt-whoopin"!

Is that getting beat with a tortilla?

BEAST

TheDOCTORdre
06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Is that getting beat with a tortilla?

BEAST

no its getting beat with a chancla

trojandad
06-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:clap: That's an awesome story! Thanks for sharing!:clap: Things sure have changed since then.

yea, you would think so, but heres an interesting side note to that story....

coach broussards youngest son is now one of the senior officers on the clevelands police force...hes been one of the few voices of reason coming from that prosecution of those black men in that alleged 11 yr old girls rape (i say alleged strictly as a legal term)....when the call from the black community there has been that these charges are racially motivated, nobody, and i mean nobody in cleveland, white, black or orange, can throw racial dispersions toward charles broussards kid....

hes doing his job, being fair to both sides, making sure justice is properly served and making his dad proud in a situation where the majority of the people that read about that situation in the paper and dismiss the entire black community there as ridiculous...just redoing what his dad did, saving lives one at a time, black or white notwithstanding....

he and i see each other over there about every other month, im 6'4" and 225, hes almost as tall and about 50 lb heavier, and unless we meet in some place formal like the bank he'll grab me in a huge bear hug and off the floor my feet go....people have to think were nuts....

just really have no idea what i did to merit favor with that family, starting with their dad.....but the nuts dont fall far from the tree over there, they are a really great clan....