PDA

View Full Version : So, where did trash talkin' originate???

Cam
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
We all seem to be pretty good at it. Any ideas where it got started?

Bullaholic
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Where, and what year was Rocket born? :D

Old LB
06-17-2011, 12:30 PM
CELINA, TEXAS not sure when. :D

bobcat1
06-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
CELINA, TEXAS not sure when. :D Cassius Clay or Brownwood. Isn't he from Brownwood and related to Rocket?:p

Phil C
06-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Miami started it when they played Texas in the 1991 Cotton Bowl game.

Cam
06-17-2011, 01:38 PM
David started it!

Sports history is filled with famous trash talkers. One well-known athlete, a young man named David, was able to use a verbal attack to his benefit in a battle with a heavily favored foe. "I will strike you down and cut off your head," David proclaims to his much larger enemy, Goliath, in the first chapter of the biblical book of Samuel. And the rest is trash-talking history.

Sweetwater Red
06-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I remember watching that game. I believe that was the first time Miami was referred to as Thug U.

coach
06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Miami started it before then

Old Tiger
06-17-2011, 02:58 PM
my trash talking comes from my confidence in myself.

TheDOCTORdre
06-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Cam
David started it!

Sports history is filled with famous trash talkers. One well-known athlete, a young man named David, was able to use a verbal attack to his benefit in a battle with a heavily favored foe. "I will strike you down and cut off your head," David proclaims to his much larger enemy, Goliath, in the first chapter of the biblical book of Samuel. And the rest is trash-talking history.

technically it would be Goliath who started it, in the beginning of the 17th chapter of 1 Samuel, Goliath stands before the army of Israelites and taunts them

8 He stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel and said to them, “Why do you come out to draw up in battle array? Am I not the Philistine and you servants of Saul? Choose a man for yourselves and let him come down to me. 9 If he is able to fight with me and kill me, then we will become your servants; but if I prevail against him and kill him, then you shall become our servants and serve us.” 10 Again the Philistine said, “I defy the ranks of Israel this day; give me a man that we may fight together.” 11 When Saul and all Israel heard these words of the Philistine, they were dismayed and greatly afraid

Cam
06-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
technically it would be Goliath who started it, in the beginning of the 17th chapter of 1 Samuel, Goliath stands before the army of Israelites and taunts them

8 He stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel and said to them, “Why do you come out to draw up in battle array? Am I not the Philistine and you servants of Saul? Choose a man for yourselves and let him come down to me. 9 If he is able to fight with me and kill me, then we will become your servants; but if I prevail against him and kill him, then you shall become our servants and serve us.” 10 Again the Philistine said, “I defy the ranks of Israel this day; give me a man that we may fight together.” 11 When Saul and all Israel heard these words of the Philistine, they were dismayed and greatly afraid

Well then I stand corrected. The Dr. is in the house!

OldNavy
06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Mohamad Ali was the first trash talker that I was aware of. He made it into an art form. "I am the Greatest!" "Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee." It was trash talk at its finest.

nobogey72
06-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Cassius Clay / Muhammed Ali definitely had a hand in making it popular. He was the first athlete I ever heard talking trash on TV. When he was about to fight Sonny Liston for the title in like 1964 he was saying stuff like Sonny Liston is all hairy like a bear, and there's no way someone as pretty as he was could lose to someone as ugly as Sonny Liston. Marketing 101!!!!!

garciap77
06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Where, and what year was Rocket born? :D

:eek:

garciap77
06-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
my trash talking comes from my confidence in myself.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

bolshavik
06-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Bolshavik invented it

bobcat1
06-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Al Gore of course.:rolleyes: