PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 players for all your favorite franchises...

eagles_victory
06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
If youra Ranger fan list your opinion of the top 5 favorite Rangers and so on and so fourth have to have been there for at least 4 years is the only qualifer...

big daddy russ
06-15-2011, 03:30 PM
1. Blue Jays
Tough one, as this and the 'Fins are the teams I grew up watching. Some of their lesser players were some of my favorites. Roger Clemens spent a few years in Toronto, but wasn't as dominant as he was in Boston, Houston, or in pinstripes. Robbie Alomar, Dave Steib, Carlos Delgado, Dave Stewart, and George Bell also come to mind, but I'll go with...
Roy Halladay, P
Tony Fernandez, the guy played everywhere
Devon White, OF
Joe Carter, OF
Tom Henke, Closer

2. Miami Dolphins
Dan Marino, QB
Zach Thomas, LB
Larry Csonka, RB
Don Shula, Coach
The Marks Brothers-WR (Mark Clayton & Mark Duper, count 'em as one)

3. San Antonio Spurs
David Robinson, C
Sean Elliot, SF
Bruce Bowen, SF
George Gervin, SG
Malik Rose, PF

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
1. Blue Jays
Tough one, as this and the 'Fins are the teams I grew up watching. Some of their lesser players were some of my favorites. Roger Clemens spent a few years in Toronto, but wasn't as dominant as he was in Boston, Houston, or in pinstripes. Robbie

Russ..Clemens won Cy Young trophies both years he was in Toronto..pretty darn dominat

big daddy russ
06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Russ..Clemens won Cy Young trophies both years he was in Toronto..pretty darn dominat
My bad. He was with us so short, I lapsed a bit. I just looked at it again, I must've been thinking of his last few years in Boston.

Oh well, still don't really like the guy. I have a hard time pulling for douchebags.

coach
06-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Dallas Cowboys:

1. Emmitt Smith
2. Tony Romo
3. Demarcus Ware
4. Troy Aikman
5. Michael Irvin

I would say Deon Sanders and Terrell Owens but they don't qualify.

Texas Rangers:

1. Pudge
2. Michael Young
3. Josh Hamilton
4. Juan Gonzalez
5. John Wetland

I loved Tom Goodwin and Mickey Tettleton.

Dallas Mavericks:

1. Dirk Nowitzki
2. Steve Nash
3. Nick Van Exel
4. JET
5. Jamal Mashburn

I loved Jason Kidd when he was on the Nets. I also liked Marquis Daniels.

eagles_victory
06-15-2011, 04:08 PM
My bad I meant to say best not your favorite players but the 5 you think were the best in franchise history.

coach
06-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
My bad I meant to say best not your favorite players but the 5 you think were the best in franchise history.

well crap!

coach
06-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Dallas Cowboys

1. Emmitt Smith
2. Roger Staubach
3. Michael Irvin
4. Randy White
5. Troy Aikman

Texas Rangers

1. Pudge
2. Michael Young
3. Julio Franco
4. Fergeson Jenkins
5a. Nolan Ryan
5b. Josh Hanilton

Dallas Mavericks

1. Dirk Nowitzki
2. Rolando Blackmon
3. Sam Perkins
4. Jason Kidd
5. Steve Nash

Bull Butter
06-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Houston Astros
1. Craig Biggio
2. Nolan Ryan
3. Jeff Bagwell
4. Larry Dierker
5. Danny Darwin

San Antonio Spurs
1. George Gervin
2. Sean Elliott
3. David Robinson
4. Tim Duncan
5. Larry Kenon

Houston Texans
1. Andre Johnson
2. DeMeco Ryans
3. Matt Schaub
4. Mario Williams
5. Kris Brown

RoyceTTU
06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by coach
Texas Rangers

3. Julio Franco

Really? I was just joking in the other thread. He was okay but didn't think he was great. Hamilton is better for sure. I thought Juan was better also.

coach
06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Really? I was just joking in the other thread. He was okay but didn't think he was great. Hamilton is better for sure. I thought Juan was better also.

I prob should put Julio 5th but he did win an MVP

coach
06-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Houston Astros
1. Craig Biggio
2. Nolan Ryan
3. Jeff Bagwell
4. Larry Dierker
5. Danny Darwin

San Antonio Spurs
1. George Gervin
2. Sean Elliott
3. David Robinson
4. Tim Duncan
5. Larry Kenon

Houston Texans
1. Andre Johnson
2. DeMeco Ryans
3. Matt Schaub
4. Mario Williams
5. Kris Brown

1. You know your team sucks when the kicker is your 5h best player.

2. I'm sorry but Craig Biggio is not the best Astro ever.

big daddy russ
06-15-2011, 04:30 PM
In that case....

Jays
1. Robbie Alomar, 2B
2. Roy Halladay, SP
3. Carlos Delgado, 1B
4. Joe Carter, RF
5. Paul Molitor, DH (most of his greatness came with Milwaukee, otherwise he'd be somewhere in the top 3)

'Fins
1. Dan Marino, QB
2. Bob Griese, QB
3. Larry Csonka, RB
4. Zach Thomas, LB
5. Nick Buoniconti, LB
Tough list. Off the top of my head, Dwight Stephenson-C, Ricky Williams, Jason Taylor-DE, Garo Yepremian-K, Jim Kiick-RB, Manny Fernandez-DT, Richmond Webb-OL, Mark Clayton-WR, Paul Warfield-WR, Mercury Morris-RB, Jake Scott-FS, and Don Shula-Coach all deserve mention. Only reason I didn't include Shula is because the question said "players," and I'd love to substitute Mark Clayton for Zach Thomas simply because Clayton helped define an era, but Thomas was just a better player and fits the profile of a possible HOFer.

Spurs
1. Tim Duncan, PF
2. David Robinson, C
3. George Gervin, SG
4. Manu Ginobili, SG
5. Tony Parker, PG
Really tough to leave off Artis Gilmore. Part of me still isn't sure that Gilmore isn't fourth on this list. Also, Larry Kenon and Sean Elliott received consideration, and considering how "The Memorial Day Miracle" is possibly the biggest moment in franchise history, it was tough to leave Elliott off. However, both Manu and Parker were foundational pieces to more championships (2 for Parker, 3 for Manu) than Elliott (only one--in 1999). Dennis Rodman and Rod Strickland would've also got some love if they had stayed longer.

PS: This list is completely off the top of my head and I might have messed up with a couple of players who had less than four years. If so, my bad.

coach
06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
In that case....

Jays
1. Robbie Alomar, 2B
2. Roy Halladay, SP
3. Carlos Delgado, 1B
4. Joe Carter, RF
5. Paul Molitor, DH (most of his greatness came with Milwaukee, otherwise he'd be somewhere in the top 3)

'Fins
1. Dan Marino, QB
2. Bob Griese, QB
3. Larry Csonka, RB
4. Zach Thomas, LB
5. Nick Buoniconti, LB
Tough list. Off the top of my head, Dwight Stephenson-C, Ricky Williams, Jason Taylor-DE, Garo Yepremian-K, Jim Kiick-RB, Manny Fernandez-DT, Richmond Webb-OL, Mark Clayton-WR, Paul Warfield-WR, Mercury Morris-RB, Jake Scott-FS, and Don Shula-Coach all deserve mention. Only reason I didn't include Shula is because the question said "players," and I'd love to substitute Mark Clayton for Zach Thomas simply because Clayton helped define an era, but Thomas was just a better player and fits the profile of a possible HOFer.

Spurs
1. Tim Duncan, PF
2. David Robinson, C
3. George Gervin, SG
4. Manu Ginobili, SG
5. Tony Parker, PG
Really tough to leave off Artis Gilmore. Part of me still isn't sure that Gilmore isn't fourth on this list. Also, Larry Kenon and Sean Elliott received consideration, and considering how "The Memorial Day Miracle" is possibly the biggest moment in franchise history, it was tough to leave Elliott off. However, both Manu and Parker were foundational pieces to more championships (2 for Parker, 3 for Manu) than Elliott (only one--in 1999). Dennis Rodman and Rod Strickland would've also got some love if they had stayed longer.

PS: This list is completely off the top of my head and I might have messed up with a couple of players who had less than four years. If so, my bad.

wow carlos in front of Joe Carter! and robbie as the best all time! everything else i agree with you

coach
06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
wait wait wait, are we talking about the greatest or best? bc we all know thats two totally different meanings lol

RoyceTTU
06-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I prob should put Julio 5th but he did win an MVP

MVP of what? All-Star game? I know he was a finalist but didn't think he won.

big daddy russ
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM
wow carlos in front of Joe Carter! and robbie as the best all time! everything else i agree with you
Definitely. Carter helped lead the team to a couple of World Series titles and it known for that Game 6 shot, but it was the makeup of that team that made them World Series champs, not just the fact that Carter was a fantastic offensive player.

It's splitting hairs. Carter's accomplishments as a champion vs Delgado's ability to make contact and get on base, but Delgado did more with less protection in the lineup. While Carter was being protected by guys like Dave Winfield, Delgado was protected by guys like Brad Fullmer and Josh Phelps.

wait wait wait, are we talking about the greatest or best? bc we all know thats two totally different meanings lol
It's cool that you're trying to keep up, just don't make yourself look too dumb in the process. Making fun of other people who understand these concepts doesn't make yours any more credible.

Bull Butter
06-15-2011, 04:53 PM
1. You know your team sucks when the kicker is your 5h best player.

2. I'm sorry but Craig Biggio is not the best Astro ever.

I went favorite players, as the opening post of the thread stated

coach
06-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I went favorite players, as the opening post of the thread stated

as i as typing that i wondered if that was a possibility, there fore i have no problem with the list

icu812
06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Mavs

Dirk Nowitzki
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Mark Aguirre
Rolando Blackman

Chargers

D.Fouts
K.Winslow
L.Tomlinson
J.Seau
L.Alworth

eagles_victory
06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Cowboys:
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Roger Staubach
3. Micheal Irvin
4. Larry Allen
5. Demarcus Ware

Rangers:
1. Juan Gonzalez
2. Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez
3. Fergie Jenkins
4. Mikey Young
5. Josh Hamilton

Miami Heat:
1. Dwyane Wade
2. Alonzo Mourning
3.Tim Hardaway
4. Glen Rice
5. Jamal Mashburn

San Jose Sharks:
1. Patrick Marleau
2. Owen Nolan
3. Joe Thornton
4.Arturs Irbe (reason I became a fan)
5. Vincent Damphousse

Seattle Storm
1. Lauren Jackson
2. Sue Bird
3. Betty Lenox
4. Swin Cash (doesnt meet length requirement but im reaching here)
5. Yolanda Griffin

coach
06-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Cowboys:
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Roger Staubach
3. Micheal Irvin
4. Larry Allen
5. Demarcus Ware

Rangers:
1. Juan Gonzalez
2. Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez
3. Fergie Jenkins
4. Mikey Young
5. Josh Hamilton

Miami Heat:
1. Dwyane Wade
2. Alonzo Mourning
3.Tim Hardaway
4. Glen Rice
5. Jamal Mashburn

San Jose Sharks:
1. Patrick Marleau
2. Owen Nolan
3. Joe Thornton
4.Arturs Irbe (reason I became a fan)
5. Vincent Damphousse

Seattle Storm
1. Lauren Jackson
2. Sue Bird
3. Betty Lenox
4. Swin Cash (doesnt meet length requirement but im reaching here)
5. Yolanda Griffin

glen rice...an underrated bball player

SintonFan_inAustin
06-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Rangers.....
1. Ruben Sierra
2. Ivan Rodriguez
3. Buddy Bell
4. Juan Gonzalez
5. Michael Young

Cowboys....
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Ed "Too Tall" Jones
3. Roger Staubach
4. Tony Dorsett
5. Drew Pearson

Sweetwater Red
06-15-2011, 06:04 PM
glen rice...an underrated bball player

I need time to compose my Top 5's. But, I already had him in mind for Michigan basketball.

eagles_victory
06-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I need time to compose my Top 5's. But, I already had him in mind for Michigan basketball. Cant use the fab 5 that never happened lol.

Blastoderm55
06-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Houston Oilers

Warren Moon
Ernest Givens
Earl Campell
Ray Childress
Bruce Matthews

SintonFan_inAustin
06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Houston Oilers

Warren Moon
Ernest Givens
Earl Campell
Ray Childress
Bruce Matthews largest homecoming rally ever for a losing team (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsjXko9N6B0&feature=related)

coach
06-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
largest homecoming rally ever for a losing team (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsjXko9N6B0&feature=related)

i thought brownwood had that claim...man im on a roll today

bigwood33
06-15-2011, 06:48 PM
All- Time Best
Cowboys-
1) Tom Landry/Roger Staubach (tie)
2) Bob Lily
3) Emmitt Smith
4) Troy Aikman
6) Tony Dorsett
(not top 5 but I love these guys too)
Drew Pearson, Bob Hayes, Lee Roy Jordan, Randy White, Billy Joe Dupree, Jason Witten, Mel Renfroe, Rayfield Wright, Deion Sanders, and Larry Allen

Rangers-
1) Jim Sundberg
2) Fergie Jenkins
3) Pudge Rodriguez
4) Rafael Palmeiro
5) Juan Gonzalez

Mavericks-
1) Dirk
2) Ro Blackman
3) Mark Aguirre
4) Derek Harper
5) Michael Finley

Stars-
1) Mike Modano
2)Eddie Belfour
3) Neil Broten
4) Shane Churla
5) Sergei Zubov

Sweetwater Red
06-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Cant use the fab 5 that never happened lol.

Good point. I guess I'll have to scratch Jimmy King and Ray Night off my list of possible candidates.

Bearkat
06-15-2011, 10:05 PM
*Disclaimer* I was born in 1976, which means I really started understanding football in the late 80's. I didn't get to see many of the all-time DALLAS COWBOYS greats!!! The following list are the greats that I actually remember seeing play.

DALLAS COWBOYS
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Michael Irvin (No body has ever worked harder or had more passion than this man)
3. Darren Woodson (yes Darren Woodson. He changed the way defense's played. He was good against the run and was fast enough to cover TE's and slot WR's. He was also a true professional, a career DALLAS COWBOY, and the all-time leading tackler in COWBOYS history.)
4. Deion Sanders (there has never been a DB better that Deion)
5. Larry Allen (The best OL to ever play in the NFL!!!)

Honorable Mention: George Teague (he was a very good safety and he protected the STAR. Will always have a spot on my team)

TEXAS RANGERS
1. Pudge (played most of his career in TEXAS)
2. Nolan Ryan (regardless of stats, he's a TEXAS hero)
3. Michael Young (one word describe's him best; consistant)
4. Julio Franco
5. Juan Gonzalez/Kenny Rogers

If you disagree with my list and think that I'm crazy, remember to read the disclaimer at the top of the post.

coach
06-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
*Disclaimer* I was born in 1976, which means I really started understanding football in the late 80's. I didn't get to see many of the all-time DALLAS COWBOYS greats!!! The following list are the greats that I actually remember seeing play.

DALLAS COWBOYS
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Michael Irvin (No body has ever worked harder or had more passion than this man)
3. Darren Woodson (yes Darren Woodson. He changed the way defense's played. He was good against the run and was fast enough to cover TE's and slot WR's. He was also a true professional, a career DALLAS COWBOY, and the all-time leading tackler in COWBOYS history.)
4. Deion Sanders (there has never been a DB better that Deion)
5. Larry Allen (The best OL to ever play in the NFL!!!)

Honorable Mention: George Teague (he was a very good safety and he protected the STAR. Will always have a spot on my team)

TEXAS RANGERS
1. Pudge (played most of his career in TEXAS)
2. Nolan Ryan (regardless of stats, he's a TEXAS hero)
3. Michael Young (one word describe's him best; consistant)
4. Julio Franco
5. Juan Gonzalez/Kenny Rogers

If you disagree with my list and think that I'm crazy, remember to read the disclaimer at the top of the post.

GREAT Cowboys list

SintonFan
06-15-2011, 10:32 PM
In that case....

Spurs
1. Tim Duncan, PF
2. David Robinson, C
3. George Gervin, SG
4. Manu Ginobili, SG
5. Tony Parker, PG

I think your Spur's list is very plausible. especially since many look at Rodman in a love/hate type of way. Ole Rod was dynamite in the early 90's(and especially later on, helping the Blazers and Bullets) . He did help the Spurs when David was coming into his prime.:nerd:

big daddy russ
06-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I think your Spur's list is very plausible. especially since many look at Rodman in a love/hate type of way. Ole Rod was dynamite in the early 90's(and especially later on, helping the Blazers and Bullets) . He did help the Spurs when David was coming into his prime.:nerd:
Rodman just didn't fit into the Spurs personality-wise. I thought his style of play (was one of the best rebounders, post defenders of all-time, but didn't clog the lane offensively) was a perfect complement to David Robinson, but the Spurs were a no-nonsense team that just never meshed with Rodman's "out there" personality. He needed someone who could reign him in. At first, it was Isaiah Thomas and Rick Mahorn. Later on, it was Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson.

And Strickland was a fantastic PG, but when Avery Johnson came into his own and Strick got too expensive, he became expendable.