PDA

View Full Version : Baby bass

Cam
06-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Other day we were catching shad for bait with throw net and caught a 3" baby largemouth. My 11 year old wanted to keep it and raise it in an aquarium to study it's habits. Has anybody ever done this or will the darn fish die????

bwdlionfan
06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Other day we were catching shad for bait with throw net and caught a 3" baby largemouth. My 11 year old wanted to keep it and raise it in an aquarium to study it's habits. Has anybody ever done this or will the darn fish die????

I tried that when I was in 9th grade with one about that size. It lived for several weeks before one morning I actually watched as it darted from one side of the aquarium and hit the glass head on. It immediately floated to the top upside down and that was that. I guess it saw its reflection.

Just recently I dug about a 400 gallon pond in my back yard and have some goldfish and minnows in there. I bought some baby channel cats from a fish stocking company and they lived a few weeks, until one morning all of them were floating dead. None of the goldfish or minnows were dead though. I had added water the night before (to replace what had evaporated), and used the same dechlorinizer I always use. I guess something with the water change upset the catfish that didn't upset the goldfish or minnows.

lostaussie
06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Had a buddy one time that had 7 and 8 pounders in a huge aquarium. We used to go to K-Mart and buy the white mice from the pet department up and have feeding time..............it was quite a hoot.

roughneck_2008
06-15-2011, 01:17 PM
The problem with adding fish to an aquarium or small pond that already has gold fish is that the gold fish release small amounts of amonia, which kills other fish in the tank/pond

icu812
06-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Cam

My boys have a small bass in their small aquarium. He's been in there for about 2 or 3 months now. They feed him hoppers and crickets. Seems to be doing well, he eats out of their hands now.

Gsquared
06-15-2011, 01:26 PM
ETB claims to have a baby carp at home that he bottle feeds. Of course, this cannot be confirmed because he wont let me come over to his house.

bigwood33
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
ETB claims to have a baby carp at home that he bottle feeds. Of course, this cannot be confirmed because he wont let me come over to his house.
That's because he remembers last time...and the video will NEVER let him forget!:thinking:

Gsquared
06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
That's because he remembers last time...and the video will NEVER let him forget!:thinking:
Oh yeah, thats right!

Farmersfan
06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
A baby bass will live in an aquarium if you feed it live bait. But remember that a Bass is a game fish and ILLEGAL to keep as a pet. :D :D

search Youtube and they have many videos of people feeding their pet Bass all kinds of stuff from mice, rats, snakes and even chipmonks. A bass is a murderous thing that will eat almost anything it can get in it's mouth. If these things would get several hundred pounds they would be awesome man-killers!!!!

Ernest T Bass
06-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Not gonna lie, I held my breath as I opened this thread. I can't afford child support.

Farmersfan
06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Not gonna lie, I held my breath as I opened this thread. I can't afford child support.

Don't worry about it ETB! The last time you passed out drunk we performed elective sterilization on you. We just could NOT take the risk!!!!!

Gsquared
06-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Don't worry about it ETB! The last time you passed out drunk we performed elective sterilization on you. We just could NOT take the risk!!!!!
Well played Farmersfan!!!!!

Ernest T Bass
06-15-2011, 02:34 PM

But that was fairly recent. Lots of time passed before that.

Farmersfan
06-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
But that was fairly recent. Lots of time passed before that.

Did you ever watch the movie Species? Allowing your seed into the gene pool would be even more dangerous than that!!!!
So far we have performed a dozen abortions, 6 radiation poisonings and a few missing persons!

Farmersfan
06-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Did you ever watch the movie Species? Allowing your seed into the gene pool would be even more dangerous than that!!!!
So far we have performed a dozen abortions, 6 radiation poisonings and a few missing persons!

And these only include your past female lovers! We haven't even addressed the Males yet.............. :eek: :eek:

Ernest T Bass
06-15-2011, 03:16 PM
And these only include your past female lovers! We haven't even addressed the Males yet.............. :eek: :eek:

Dude, did you fail biology or somethin'? Dudes can't get pregnant!
Well, except G2, but the jury's still out on that one.

bwdlionfan
06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
But remember that a Bass is a game fish and ILLEGAL to keep as a pet. :D :D

That depends. If you catch it out of your own private stock tank or purchase it from a fish stocking company you can do whatever you'd like to with it.

bwdlionfan
06-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by roughneck_2008
The problem with adding fish to an aquarium or small pond that already has gold fish is that the gold fish release small amounts of amonia, which kills other fish in the tank/pond

The goldfish I have are about an inch and a half long. There are only six of them. The catfish I had were 10-12 inches long. I was surprised the catfish didn't eat them. I don't think those 6 tiny goldfish let out enough ammonia that they killed the catfish. By the way... all fish (and living things) put out ammonia. The bio filter and the plant life I have should do a good job at keeping down the ammonia. These catfish had to have died from the water I added.