PDA

View Full Version : Rangers?

Bullaholic
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Lost 6 out of last 8. I'm going to play a little sports journalist here---Rangers missing Cliff Lee more than they are admitting? Did not signing Lee doom them to failure, or are there other factors?

I think the Rangers are not in deep trouble yet, and will find a way to make the playoffs.

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Starting pitching has not been the issue other than some injuries...the bullpen and the offense going thru ups and downs have been the biggest issue

waterboy
06-15-2011, 10:23 AM
They miss Cliff Lee, but not as much as you would think. Ogando has better numbers this year than Cliff does. It's when the playoffs roll around that the Rangers will miss Lee, unless they go out and get at least a #2 starting pitcher. The Ranger problems this year have to do with inconsistency more than anything. Inconsistency in the bullpen, at the plate (which should straighten it itself out eventually....I hope), and the starting pitching also. The Rangers have a good enough team to go on an extended winning streak. They just have to be more consistent.

Macarthur
06-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Their biggest issue, IMO, is that their offense completely tanks on the road.

Kinsler is becoming a liability. I'm wondering what the front office's feeling is on Kinsler long-term and even short-term.

Buckeye1980
06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Yes they really terrible! <<<SARCASM>>> The Rangers ARE leading their division, I believe 24 other teams would like to be this bad!

Bullaholic
06-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Yes they really terrible! <<<SARCASM>>> The Rangers ARE leading their division, I believe 24 other teams would like to be this bad!

I'm going to have to take "They'll never win this one---I knew they would do it" lessons from Phil C.......:D

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980

The Rangers should be past the point of being happy with a lead in June..they if they are going to be a power in the AL must always be looking at how they can get better

Farmersfan
06-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Lost 6 out of last 8. I'm going to play a little sports journalist here---Rangers missing Cliff Lee more than they are admitting? Did not signing Lee doom them to failure, or are there other factors?

I think the Rangers are not in deep trouble yet, and will find a way to make the playoffs.

See Rangers 2009, 2008, 2007 ect. ect. ect..................

It seems like we had this discussion a couple of months ago. The Rangers will struggle to make the playoffs even in years when the other teams in the division are playing sub-par for them. And the Ranger have always managed to put together a good first half or a good second half to every season. It's the other half of the season that has always doomed them. Let's see what they can do after the All-Star break.
Right now they are playing .529 ball which is on pace to win 85 games. That won't get it done unless the Mariners, Angels or A's fall completely off the face of the planet.

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
See Rangers 2009, 2008, 2007 ect. ect. ect..................

It seems like we had this discussion a couple of months ago. The Rangers will struggle to make the playoffs even in years when the other teams in the division are playing sub-par for them. And the Ranger have always managed to put together a good first half or a good second half to every season. It's the other half of the season that has always doomed them. Let's see what they can do after the All-Star break.
Right now they are playing .529 ball which is on pace to win 85 games. That won't get it done unless the Mariners, Angels or A's fall completely off the face of the planet.

to win the west the last 8 years or so it has taken on average about 88 wins..safe to say one of the teams will get hot and at least get to that this year...seems like it might be a two team race between Texas and Seattle with rumors that the Angels might be willing to trade off alot of their "stars"

and btw right before the losing of 6 of 8 they had won like 7 of 10...baseball is all about runs, good and bad.

Farmersfan
06-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The Rangers should be past the point of being happy with a lead in June..they if they are going to be a power in the AL must always be looking at how they can get better

I think we both agree with this! IF they aren't winning at a .600+ pace then they should never be satisfied with their lineup. And regardless of their winning percentage they should always be in the market for a dominating pitcher.

Farmersfan
06-15-2011, 01:19 PM
to win the west the last 8 years or so it has taken on average about 88 wins..safe to say one of the teams will get hot and at least get to that this year...seems like it might be a two team race between Texas and Seattle with rumors that the Angels might be willing to trade off alot of their "stars"

and btw right before the losing of 6 of 8 they had won like 7 of 10...baseball is all about runs, good and bad.

Reducing the "Bad" runs and increasing the "Good" runs is what determines the difference in a consistent second or third place team in this division with 80/85 wins and a competing for the title every season with 93 wins team. We've seen 40 years of one-I want a few years of the other!
But it seems to me the Rangers have had way more injuries this season than normal. Does it seem that way to you?

eagles_victory
06-15-2011, 02:29 PM
People dont even remember that Cliff Lee wasnt even that good during the year. He was great in the playoffs but if they missed the playoffs and he didnt pitch how he did he would of viewed as a disappointment.

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Reducing the "Bad" runs and increasing the "Good" runs is what determines the difference in a consistent second or third place team in this division with 80/85 wins and a competing for the title every season with 93 wins team. We've seen 40 years of one-I want a few years of the other!
But it seems to me the Rangers have had way more injuries this season than normal. Does it seem that way to you?

not real sure what you meant in first part

2nd part..i dont know it does seem like injuries are a bigger part in the pitching staff for sure..position players it seems about the same as last year.

Farmersfan
06-15-2011, 02:56 PM
not real sure what you meant in first part

You said Baseball was all about runs. I was saying the good or great teams had more good runs or positive runs than they did the bad ones. The Rangers historically haven't! That's why they are very, very average. (and that's being generous).

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
You said Baseball was all about runs. I was saying the good or great teams had more good runs or positive runs than they did the bad ones. The Rangers historically haven't! That's why they are very, very average. (and that's being generous).

ahh got u...not sure what it matter what the Rangers have done historically..this Ranger team since Washington has became manager has improved ever year and has won more games than they lost in his tenure..we shall see if this year they continue that

Farmersfan
06-15-2011, 03:08 PM
ahh got u...not sure what it matter what the Rangers have done historically..this Ranger team since Washington has became manager has improved ever year and has won more games than they lost in his tenure..we shall see if this year they continue that

Fingers & Toes crossed!