PDA

View Full Version : Last thoughts on this NBA season

Buckeye1980
06-13-2011, 10:06 AM
1.) Congrats to the Mavs!

2.) American Airlines loved this series....naming rights on both arenas!

3.) Jus looked at what may be an impossible picture. Three NBA players in picture and NO tatoos are visible (Barea, Dirk, and Kidd!)

forum_guy
06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Last thought for me will be congrats Mavs but Lakers are getting their trophy back next year lol :thumbsup:

jason
06-13-2011, 10:21 AM
"The Mavericks bus was packed with players and coaches and family, an the door opened up wide for Nowitzki. The noise and laughter and love came tumbling out for him. He climbed on, the bus peeled out of the parking lot and toward the Venetian Causeway across the green waters of Biscayne Bay, toward a long night of partying, and a longer life as a champion. And here’s how the Year of LeBron James finally ended in a balmy night in June: Dirk Nowitzki was taking his team, his trophy, his talents to South Beach."

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhhakuIQqfZpa2dbw2jAH4Q5nYcB?slug=aw-wojnarowski_nowitzki_mavericks_win_nba_finals_0613 11)

LionFan72
06-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Thank God and Dirk it is over, now, bring on some football.

SintonFan
06-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by forum_guy
Last thought for me will be congrats Mavs but Lakers are getting their trophy back next year lol :thumbsup:

lol
:thumbsup:
lol lol
yeah right.:D

big daddy russ
06-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
1.) Congrats to the Mavs!

This. From a Spurs fan.

--------------------------------------
1. Great ending to a fun playoffs.

2. We, as a people, have a bad case of the "what have you done for me latelies." See: LeBron James the choke artist. Certain people just want to dislike certain other people. And LeBron hit the nail on the head in his presser.

3. Why all the panic, HEAT fans?

4. Will the Blazers ever be a contender? Their best player was injured all year, their stud down low isn't the guy they expected it to be, and the stud they expected racks up almost as many fouls per game (4.0) as field goals made (4.4)--and he's a free agent. Tough offseason with some tough truths to face.

5. Derrick Rose. My god!

6. Dirk Nowitzki. My god!

7. Spurs fans, Tony was right. Get over it. Our two championship cornerstones are 35 or older, Richard Jefferson makes too much money to be a spot shooter (he's more at home in the open court), we have no length, we can't contain elite perimeter players, and we can't contain half-decent post players. Most telling statistics...
YEAR; OPPONENTS PPG (RANK); OPPONENTS FG% (RANK)
06-07; 90.1 (1); 44.3% (4)
07-08; 90.6 (3); 44.4% (5)
08-09; 93.3 (2); 45.3% (9)
09-10; 96.3 (8); 45.2% (12)
10-11; 98.0 (14); 45.6% (12)
It's been fun. Now trade Tony for two or three future first round picks (he's 29, so maybe one next year, one in 2013, and one in 2015???) and let's see if George Hill is truly the player he was in '09-'10, or if that was just a flash in the pan and we get what we saw this year.

8. Russell Westbrook, I don't know what to make of you. Half the time I love you, the other half you make me want to pull my hair out.

9. James Harden, I want to grow up to be you.

10. Serge Ibaka, Joel Johnson, I love both of you.

11. Lakers--how soon does the window close? I still think Kobe can turn it on whenever he wants to, I still think you're an elite team, but Pau and Lamar aren't guys who can lead a team to a title. Kobe Bryant will be 33 when the season starts, but he's taken care of his body and aged as well as MJ or Abdul-Jabbar. I hate to bet against him.

12. It was nice to see Dallas (specifically Dirk and JET) win one. I doubt they make it back to the Finals, but Texas teams have won seven of the last 17 championships and have played in eight.

13. Do you remember just a few years ago when we thought Luol Deng would be the player to take the Bulls back to greatness?

14. Nuggets let us down next year. Danilo Gallinari drops 23 a game as the best player on an average team.

15. What to make of the Rockets?

16. Best sophomore campaign: John Wall.

17. Best rookie: won't matter much. None of the incoming class really impresses me. Just for fun, I'll go with Derrick Williams. Reminds me, in certain ways, of Glenn Robinson.

18. Completely whiffed on my preseason predictions. I had Boston/LA Finals with a Laker championship. Also whiffed on my prediction that the Spurs would barely make the playoffs, but I'm glad I whiffed there.

19. I've got Lakers and HEAT in next year's Finals before the draft, free agency, and trades. Who do you have?

trojandad
06-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
This. From a Spurs fan.

--------------------------------------
1. Great ending to a fun playoffs.

2. We, as a people, have a bad case of the "what have you done for me latelies." See: LeBron James the choke artist. Certain people just want to dislike certain other people. And LeBron hit the nail on the head in his presser.

3. Why all the panic, HEAT fans?

4. Will the Blazers ever be a contender? Their best player was injured all year, their stud down low isn't the guy they expected it to be, and the stud they expected racks up almost as many fouls per game (4.0) as field goals made (4.4)--and he's a free agent. Tough offseason with some tough truths to face.

5. Derrick Rose. My god!

6. Dirk Nowitzki. My god!

7. Spurs fans, Tony was right. Get over it. Our two championship cornerstones are 35 or older, Richard Jefferson makes too much money to be a spot shooter (he's more at home in the open court), we have no length, we can't contain elite perimeter players, and we can't contain half-decent post players. Most telling statistics...
YEAR; OPPONENTS PPG (RANK); OPPONENTS FG% (RANK)
06-07; 90.1 (1); 44.3% (4)
07-08; 90.6 (3); 44.4% (5)
08-09; 93.3 (2); 45.3% (9)
09-10; 96.3 (8); 45.2% (12)
10-11; 98.0 (14); 45.6% (12)
It's been fun. Now trade Tony for two or three future first round picks (he's 29, so maybe one next year, one in 2013, and one in 2015???) and let's see if George Hill is truly the player he was in '09-'10, or if that was just a flash in the pan and we get what we saw this year.

8. Russell Westbrook, I don't know what to make of you. Half the time I love you, the other half you make me want to pull my hair out.

9. James Harden, I want to grow up to be you.

10. Serge Ibaka, Joel Johnson, I love both of you.

11. Lakers--how soon does the window close? I still think Kobe can turn it on whenever he wants to, I still think you're an elite team, but Pau and Lamar aren't guys who can lead a team to a title. Kobe Bryant will be 33 when the season starts, but he's taken care of his body and aged as well as MJ or Abdul-Jabbar. I hate to bet against him.

12. It was nice to see Dallas (specifically Dirk and JET) win one. I doubt they make it back to the Finals, but Texas teams have won seven of the last 17 championships and have played in eight.

13. Do you remember just a few years ago when we thought Luol Deng would be the player to take the Bulls back to greatness?

14. Nuggets let us down next year. Danilo Gallinari drops 23 a game as the best player on an average team.

15. What to make of the Rockets?

16. Best sophomore campaign: John Wall.

17. Best rookie: won't matter much. None of the incoming class really impresses me.

18. Completely whiffed on my preseason predictions. I had Boston/LA Finals with a Laker championship. Also whiffed on my prediction that the Spurs would barely make the playoffs, but I'm glad I whiffed there.

19. I've got Lakers and HEAT in next year's Finals before the draft, free agency, and trades. Who do you have?

i think durant can go to the finals if they trade westbrook for parker, tony has one more run in him as a #2/3 scorer, but pop would prolly want more in that trade....

jason
06-14-2011, 03:06 PM

rematch
mavs vs heat

Old Tiger
06-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
i think durant can go to the finals if they trade westbrook for parker, tony has one more run in him as a #2/3 scorer, but pop would prolly want more in that trade.... I would take a young Westbrook over Parker these days.

The big story I'm hearing is about the Spurs wanting to get Dwight Howard.

Would love for them to also pick up Chris Paul in a trade.

I will take Thunder/Heat finals next year

big daddy russ
06-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
...The big story I'm hearing is about the Spurs wanting to get Dwight Howard.

It'd be sweet if they can get it done, I just don't know if we have the chips that Orlando would want unless they're looking for cap space. Which we don't get for another year or two.

And I'd take CP3 for Parker in a heartbeat.

trojandad
06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
I would take a young Westbrook over Parker these days.

The big story I'm hearing is about the Spurs wanting to get Dwight Howard.

I will take Thunder/Heat finals next year

i would too, in every way except his head, westbrook needs someone like pop and duncan to get him thinking right about his skills...as much as im a scottie brooks fan, he just had no say so over him this year.....parker, i think, could get them one title before fading away....you need the first to get a second, ask lebron.....(stop it, trojandad).....

Old Tiger
06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
It'd be sweet if they can get it done, I just don't know if we have the chips that Orlando would want unless they're looking for cap space. Which we don't get for another year or two.

And I'd take CP3 for Parker in a heartbeat. Is that really a story? I made it up cause I won't it to happen so badly!

It would be like having David Robinson and Tim Duncan again.

Farmersfan
06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
i think durant can go to the finals if they trade westbrook for parker, tony has one more run in him as a #2/3 scorer, but pop would prolly want more in that trade....

At this point in their careers you couldn't get Westbrook for 3 Tony Parkers!

big daddy russ
06-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Is that really a story? I made it up cause I won't it to happen so badly!

It would be like having David Robinson and Tim Duncan again.
Sounded made up, but I'm gullible and ran with it.

Old Tiger
06-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Sounded made up, but I'm gullible and ran with it. If it were to happen the spurs would be the favorite to win.

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Rematch Miami and Dallas as of now

Ill break down a few teams

Lakers

Matt Barnes (P)
Shannon Brown (P)
Theo Ratliff
Joe Smith

Those are there free agents probably only Shannon Brown comes back. They sign a few better shooters and get a starting point guard and they are the favorite. The Lakers are almost like Tiger in his prime in the west most years it is do you take the Lakers or the field.

Okc: I just think they arent quite there got a good draw to get where they got this year.

Portland: They look good in free agent Oden is restricted so we'll see where that goes. If Roy keeps progressing back to form this team is really good and can challenge for the West keep in mind they probably played Dallas the toughest. If not for a free throw parade by Dirk in the 4th quarter of game 1 I think these playoffs might of been totally different. All the pieces are there (maybe short on a superstar) they just have to avoid injuries and have a better regular season so they can use one of the great home court advantages in the league.

Dallas:
Jose Juan Barea
Caron Butler
Brian Cardinal
Tyson Chandler
DeShawn Stevenson
Peja Stojakovic

All unrestricted free agents and a lot could depend on the CBA as what Dallas can bring back but Peja is probably gone for sure. You bring back JJ, Caron, and Tyson most likely. Dallas felt like a team of destiny this year they played great I think the road back will be tougher. I dont see Dirk getting the free throw attempts next year he got this year. Will the hunger be the same? As of now I see Dallas getitng back but there are a lot of questions and things to sort out this offseason but there is no reason they cant be back just think it is a lot tougher.

Top 4: Lakers 62-20
Thunder 58-24
Dallas 56-26
Portland 55-25

Miami: They will probably completely retool around the Big 3. Getting a center is key names being thrown out Deandre Jordan (unlikely) Samuel Dalembert, Nene, and even Tyson Chandler (no way Cubs doesnt resing him he was the glue guy). Getting a Center is the number one thing. Lets not be prisoners of the moment Lebron and Dwade are 2 of the top 30 players to ever play this game. Bosh is a top 20 player in the league and Mario Chalmers (restricted free agent must resign) is very good as well.

Developing the bench is key I would love a J.R. Smith type someone who can carry the offense for stretches at a time. Just a more quality bench in general because face it Juwan Howard in the NBA finals is a joke lol. I could go all day but those are the main things. Oh and get rid of Spolestra

New York: Carmelo Anthony is the most forgotten player in the NBA this guy is that good. Amare Stoudamire is a top 10 player in the league right now. Depending on how New York fills the roster around them they could make a play for an NBA title.

Chicago: I see them taking a step back next year. Not a lot of wiggle room to improve their roster with their payrole not there yet.

Orlando: About what they did this year they are going backwards.

Boston: too old now

Atlanta: Same sh** different day

Miami: 68-14 ( If they dont put it on cruise and just take it easy possible but I think they will be very hungry)
Chicago: 55-27
New York: 53-29
Orlando: 49-33
Boston: 47-35
Atlanta: 47-35

All this depends on labor and free agent moves. I pray we get an 82 game season.

trojandad
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
At this point in their careers you couldn't get Westbrook for 3 Tony Parkers!

i agree with you under just skills and age assessment, but i gotta believe durant is in there in the offseason saying "look, you can have him in a few years or me, you choose"....if he put up with another playoff like this out of westbrook id be one surprised puppy, skills or no......almost reminded me of vernon maxwell with the rockets back in their run, they just finally haad to say skills or no, were better without him than dragging him along.....brooks knows that, he was there then, it just takes cahonies.....

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Casey Lane has a better chance to be the San Antonio Spurs center than Dwight Howard.

Old Tiger
06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Casey Lane has a better chance to be the San Antonio Spurs center than Dwight Howard. I have a good low post presence.

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Get your kicks in now on Miami because if they sing a center that is decent and get some better bench players we'll see the best team in the NBA since the Shaq and Kobe Lakers.

bigwood33
06-14-2011, 03:53 PM
1st, expect a work stoppage in the "Association" for next season. This one will get ugly.
2nd, I know that at this point it is wishful thinking but Deron Williams was seen in the Mavs locker room twice last week. He went on record as being a big Dirk fan and would love to come home to the the Mavs (how about THAT pick and roll?). I know that is MUCH easier said than done but I figure that Dirk probably has 3 or 4 top tier years left and if the Mavs added Williams, they would have to be considered a real threat to re- peat. He scores, defends, distributes, and rebounds.
3rd, I generally hate the Lakers but until the "Big 3" are no longer in Miami together, I will be pulling for ANY Western Conference team that might meet them in the Finals.

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
1st, expect a work stoppage in the "Association" for next season. This one will get ugly.
2nd, I know that at this point it is wishful thinking but Deron Williams was seen in the Mavs locker room twice last week. He went on record as being a big Dirk fan and would love to come home to the the Mavs (how about THAT pick and roll?). I know that is MUCH easier said than done but I figure that Dirk probably has 3 or 4 top tier years left and if the Mavs added Williams, they would have to be considered a real threat to re- peat. He scores, defends, distributes, and rebounds.
3rd, I generally hate the Lakers but until the "Big 3" are no longer in Miami together, I will be pulling for ANY Western Conference team that might meet them in the Finals. Deron just signed with World Wide Wes and Leon Rose I think that hurts Dallas's chances.

Txbroadcaster
06-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Deron just signed with World Wide Wes and Leon Rose I think that hurts Dallas's chances.

Hey EV you mentioned Dirk not getting the Free Throw Attempts next year he got this year

Well this past season was his lowest amount of FT per game made and attempted in the last 7 years

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Hey EV you mentioned Dirk not getting the Free Throw Attempts next year he got this year

Well this past season was his lowest amount of FT per game made and attempted in the last 7 years I was more speaking of the big games he had the two 13 free throw quarters that turned the Portland and OKC series. Plus it is hard to compare any sample sizes when in the last 4 years the most he played was 10 games. (if your stats were even right) I was talking about the playoffs not the regular season.

Txbroadcaster
06-14-2011, 04:43 PM
I was more speaking of the big games he had the two 13 free throw quarters that turned the Portland and OKC series. Plus it is hard to compare any sample sizes when in the last 4 years the most he played was 10 games. (if your stats were even right) I was talking about the playoffs not the regular season.

ahh ok play off only

ok this year he averaged 8.85 a game

last year 7 a game

09 he averaged 9.3 a game

08 8.4 per game

07 8.3

06( finals year) 9.9

so basically he is always going to get to the line in the play offs 7-9 times per average UNLESS as he gets older he does not attack the rim as much

bigwood33
06-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Deron just signed with World Wide Wes and Leon Rose I think that hurts Dallas's chances.
That may be a money thing and I am not making a prediction but Cuban pays (always has) and guys can still play where they want (assuming an offer).

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 04:47 PM
That may be a money thing and I am not making a prediction but Cuban pays (always has) and guys can still play where they want (assuming an offer). He isnt even a free agent.

Txbroadcaster
06-14-2011, 04:49 PM
He isnt even a free agent.

and I dont think Dallas will add anything big unless something falls into their lap..Carlise has gotten Cuban to by into the Chemistry is more important concept

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 04:52 PM
and I dont think Dallas will add anything big unless something falls into their lap..Carlise has gotten Cuban to by into the Chemistry is more important concept agreed

Txbroadcaster
06-14-2011, 04:55 PM
agreed

speaking of...when the Harris for Kidd trade happened it was roundly trashed,....amazing how that trade looks now

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 05:01 PM
speaking of...when the Harris for Kidd trade happened it was roundly trashed,....amazing how that trade looks now I was thinking the same thing like the Mavs or not (I dont, I hate Cuban) that front office knows exactly what they are doing down to their athletic trainer who was the one who really pushed for Tyson Chandler.

forum_guy
06-14-2011, 07:45 PM
I will also predict heat-lakers next years finals. I think with the way gasol comes back and plays next year it is going to feel like they landed a big trade. He is going to come back stronger after that Dallas series mentally more than anything. I'm very interested to see what shooters and PG they can land. They have I believe 4 2nd picks so maybe they can package up to get a 1st rounder and strike gold. Would love if they could land Sheldon Mack in the late 1st.

bigwood33
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
He isnt even a free agent.
Nope, 1 year left. Ever hear of sign and trade?

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Nope, 1 year left. Ever hear of sign and trade? Why would Dallas do that? We just wont the championship lets completely change our idenity. Usually people sign and trade when the guys contract is up not with a year left. In this situation you would just trade with the agreement of him singing an extension wouldnt be a sign and trade.

bigwood33
06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
There is no way to accurately predict what the next CBA will look like so it is certainly speculation but players sign extensions or new contracts regularly to get out of a place they don't want to be and into a place that they do. I heard on the radio this morning that the owners want the players to take a 40% pay cut and that 28 teams lost money this season and that 18 will actually make money if there is no season. Guaranteed contracts and extremely big ticket players make the economics difficult. Only time will tell what the Association looks like in the future. One thing for sure, it will be different.

eagles_victory
06-14-2011, 08:42 PM
There is no way to accurately predict what the next CBA will look like so it is certainly speculation but players sign extensions or new contracts regularly to get out of a place they don't want to be and into a place that they do. I heard on the radio this morning that the owners want the players to take a 40% pay cut and that 28 teams lost money this season and that 18 will actually make money if there is no season. Guaranteed contracts and extremely big ticket players make the economics difficult. Only time will tell what the Association looks like in the future. One thing for sure, it will be different. I really hope for an 82 game season I am one of the rare people who enjoy the regular season nearly as much as the playoffs, but yea an 82 game season looks next to impossible right now.