PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most overrated player of all-time? (All sports)

Sweetwater Red
06-10-2011, 06:22 PM
I borrowed this question from ESPN's Facebook page. Just curious what poster's thoughts are.

Roughneck93
06-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Joe Namath has to be on the list.
David Beckham
Danica Patrick

coach
06-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Babe Ruth
Barry Sanders
Wilt Chamberlain
Scottie Pippen

trojandad
06-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by coach
Babe Ruth
Barry Sanders
Wilt Chamberlain
Scottie Pippen

wow, coach.....babe ruth? man oh man....

BaseballUmp
06-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Alex Rodriguez

Tom Brady

bigwood33
06-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Babe Ruth
Barry Sanders
Wilt Chamberlain
Scottie Pippen
Pippin, OK, the others are legitimately in the debate on "greatest in their sport".

orange machine
06-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Ryan Leaf

zebrablue2
06-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Pippin, OK, the others are legitimately in the debate on "greatest in their sport".

:iagree:

Saggy Aggie
06-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Tony Romo

coach
06-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Ruth always struck out and Barry hardly scored touchdowns

Txbroadcaster
06-10-2011, 10:22 PM
The problem with the debate is...what are the parameters?...Do you mean overrated in that they were not good on the field or overrated in that how people look back on their career or how the media portrays them

yoefan23
06-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Whaaaaaat? 9th all time for rushing touchdowns. Come on I can name a lot of "great" players who played longer, rushed behind better lines, and still do not have as many as Barry did.

trojandad
06-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Ruth always struck out and Barry hardly scored touchdowns

agree on ruth's strike outs, but he hit more home runs than teams did during some seasons, thatll never be done again....those guys could have chosen to swing for the fences with huge strikeout numbers and didnt.....its because they couldnt....

i think in our livelier ball era and todays conditioning, he woulda hit 1,000 homers....

Txbroadcaster
06-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
agree on ruth's strike outs, but he hit more home runs than teams did during some seasons, thatll never be done again....those guys could have chosen to swing for the fences with huge strikeout numbers and didnt.....its because they couldnt....

i think in our livelier ball era and todays conditioning, he woulda hit 1,000 homers....

I think the counter of more breaking pitches..and fresher arms thru the games would balance the livelier ball

coach
06-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by yoefan23
Whaaaaaat? 9th all time for rushing touchdowns. Come on I can name a lot of "great" players who played longer, rushed behind better lines, and still do not have as many as Barry did.

yea...there are 8 ppl with more and ppl continue to say he is in the top 3 of all time....

14 13 16 9 3 7 11 11 11 4

11 12 18 9 21 25 12 4 13 11

ill let you tell me who's numbers are those.

also the bottom one is the all time leading rusher and has 3 championships. if that was a quarterback and he had 3 ships and led in td passes and yards all time then he would be considered the greatest by far. yet i always hear how much better barry was than emmitt....doesn't make much cents to me.lol

coach
06-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by trojandad

the talent today is waaaay better than it was back then. hell ruth hit his 120th career home run today some time when he was playing and he was the all time leader in home runs. (i know this bc i read it earlier today on my baseall calendar lol)

eagles_victory
06-10-2011, 11:56 PM
You cant really say what Ruth would do today because obviously he wouldnt be the same player he was then because updated training and what not. Overrated is such a tough term because you can be the greatest ever and be overrated. Esp. now when people want to update legacies everyday. For example, is Lebron James overrated I dont think so but when Scottie Pippen says he is better than Jordan then Lebron becomes vastly overrated. So many variables.

coach
06-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Mark texeria

eagles_victory
06-11-2011, 01:30 AM
I thought Jason Kidd was overrated in his prime.

big daddy russ
06-11-2011, 02:44 AM
Coach is right about one thing: Ruth definitely benefitted from the short porch at the Polo Grounds. That stadium produced huge power numbers for not only Ruth, but also guys like Gehrig, Mantle, and Roger Maris' 61-homer campaign.

The similarities in all these guys? They all batted left (the Mick was a switch hitter). Maybe that's why Gehrig, a much more prolific hitter (especially in power numbers) than Joe DiMaggio, is still relegated behind the Yankee Clipper in pinstripe lore.

But to follow that up, Ruth had increasing home run totals leading up to his tenure with the Yanks. I want to say he hit 30 homers his last year at Fenway and was showing increasing power by the year. His splits also showed plenty of power away from the Polo Grounds, and even though he did have a ton of strikeouts, his batting average and on-base percentages were incredible. He batted somewhere in the mid-.300's and had an on-base percentage well into the .400's.

But to counter that counter-argument, I'm sure that being protected in the lineup by Lou Gehrig didn't hurt his pitch selection.

griff
06-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Muhammad Ali was not the greatest, not even among the heavy weight division. He benefitted from being the greatest showman and self-promoter ever, but the "greatest of all time" as he called himself...he is NOT.

Old Tiger
06-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Baseball field were huge back then so I think that makes the bambino rated about right.

IMO its Dale Jr....hasn't done much racing wise but is overrated because of his dad.

coach
06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Baseball field were huge back then so I think that makes the bambino rated about right.

IMO its Dale Jr....hasn't done much racing wise but is overrated because of his dad.

that's a good one

Roughneck93
06-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Lynn Swann was an overrated receiver.

Old Tiger
06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Roughneck93
Lynn Swann was an overrated receiver. maybe in the regular season but when it came to big games he always showed up.

Roughneck93
06-11-2011, 11:11 AM
maybe in the regular season but when it came to big games he always showed up.

True. He had a couple of good postseasons. But overall, when you look at his career, he does not rank in the Top 50 in any major receiving category.

Old Tiger
06-11-2011, 11:13 AM
True. He had a couple of good postseasons. But overall, when you look at his career, he does not rank in the Top 50 in any major receiving category. I'm not disagreeing with you....I think Terry Bradshaw is overrated as well.

coach
06-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you....I think Terry Bradshaw is overrated as well.

i think he is underrated...he was the oc, won 4 super bowls, and is hilarious

Roughneck93
06-11-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you....I think Terry Bradshaw is overrated as well.

No problem. Was just throwing a few stats in there. And yes, you're right, Bradshaw needs to be on the list as well.
How about Vince Carter?

Old Tiger
06-11-2011, 11:27 AM
No problem. Was just throwing a few stats in there. And yes, you're right, Bradshaw needs to be on the list as well.
How about Vince Carter? He is really only known for his dunks and his dunks are amazing.

coach
06-11-2011, 11:28 AM
How about Vince Carter?

one of the best dunkers of all time....also he is an underrated 3 point threat, but yes he is overrated...

Old Tiger
06-11-2011, 11:33 AM
My list of overrated sports people

Dale Jr
Terry Bradshaw
Dirk
Phil Mickelson
David Beckham
Derek Jeter

Roughneck93
06-11-2011, 11:43 AM
He is really only known for his dunks and his dunks are amazing.

He certainly could dunk with the best of them.

Roughneck93
06-11-2011, 11:46 AM
My list of overrated sports people

Dale Jr
Terry Bradshaw
Dirk
Phil Mickelson
David Beckham
Derek Jeter

Dale Jr is a good one. Good driver,but no series championships.

Old Tiger
06-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Dale Jr is a good one. Good driver,but no series championships. wins are few and far between as well. Like I've said before he better thank god his father is who he was.

TheDOCTORdre
06-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by griff
Muhammad Ali was not the greatest, not even among the heavy weight division. He benefitted from being the greatest showman and self-promoter ever, but the "greatest of all time" as he called himself...he is NOT.

the man missed three years of his prime and did what he did, he is the greatest

coach
06-11-2011, 12:16 PM

then who was?

Roughneck93
06-11-2011, 12:27 PM

I would say Mike Tyson before Ali. Not that I would put Ali on an overrated list.

yoefan23
06-11-2011, 01:04 PM
yea...there are 8 ppl with more and ppl continue to say he is in the top 3 of all time....

14 13 16 9 3 7 11 11 11 4

11 12 18 9 21 25 12 4 13 11

ill let you tell me who's numbers are those.

also the bottom one is the all time leading rusher and has 3 championships. if that was a quarterback and he had 3 ships and led in td passes and yards all time then he would be considered the greatest by far. yet i always hear how much better barry was than emmitt....doesn't make much cents to me.lol

Barry's and Emmitt's numbers. Dont get me wrong I love Emmitt Smith, But I honestly believe Barry could do more with less. Emmitt's supporting cast included Aikman, Irving, Moose!, Deion for a few years.

Tell me this. Whos was Barry's Pro Bowl Full Back?

Out of Barry's 10 seasons, 8 were first team all-pro, 2 were second team.
Barry to me was more gifted athletically, but Emmitt had heart, desire, and longevity on his side. They are both Hall of Famers but to call Barry overrated is absolutely reDIRKulous!

TheDOCTORdre
06-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Barry's and Emmitt's numbers. Dont get me wrong I love Emmitt Smith, But I honestly believe Barry could do more with less. Emmitt's supporting cast included Aikman, Irving, Moose!, Deion for a few years.

Tell me this. Whos was Barry's Pro Bowl Full Back?

Out of Barry's 10 seasons, 8 were first team all-pro, 2 were second team.
Barry to me was more gifted athletically, but Emmitt had heart, desire, and longevity on his side. They are both Hall of Famers but to call Barry overrated is absolutely reDIRKulous!

Walter Payton is better than both of them

STANG RED
06-11-2011, 03:11 PM
This is easy. Franco Harris has to be the most overrated pro athlete of all time. Swap places with him and Earl Campbell in those days, Earl would still hold all rushing records, and nobody would even know who Franco Harris was. He just happened to play on the greatest team of that era, and Earl played on one of the worst. Franco also had possibly the greatest FB of all time blocking for him.

Old Tiger
06-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Walter Payton is better than both of them And Jim Brown is better than Walter Payton

TheDOCTORdre
06-11-2011, 03:54 PM
And Jim Brown is better than Walter Payton

that's the only one I wont argue against

coach
06-11-2011, 05:17 PM
i never understood why ppl put down emmitt...he holds every major record and has 3 super bowls....and then you use the lamest excuse ever....hell look at jerry rice. ppl claim him as the greatest ever and you never hear that he always played with a hof qb. i have said it before, if you take a qb that has won 3 suber bowls and has the most passing yards, td's and highest passer rating off all time there would be no doubt he was the greatest ever. but i say emmitt and you say well he this guy this guy and this guy on his team....so what lol

eagles_victory
06-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Cobi Jones

eagles_victory
06-11-2011, 07:42 PM
i never understood why ppl put down emmitt...he holds every major record and has 3 super bowls....and then you use the lamest excuse ever....hell look at jerry rice. ppl claim him as the greatest ever and you never hear that he always played with a hof qb. i have said it before, if you take a qb that has won 3 suber bowls and has the most passing yards, td's and highest passer rating off all time there would be no doubt he was the greatest ever. but i say emmitt and you say well he this guy this guy and this guy on his team....so what lol I wouldn't say people are putting Emmitt down I think almost everyone agrees he is top 5 all time. Sure I can see your argument but you have to consider Barry averaged 5.0 yards a carry Emmitt averaged 4.2 yards a carry. Even if you take the last 3 years away because Emmitt was past his prime Barrys 10 years vs Emmitts 12 Barry averaged around 150 give or take a few more yards per season than Emmitt did. Sure Emmitt has more yards and touchdowns he played way longer. Yea that is a positive for Emmitt I agree, but by the logic your using to put Emmitt ahead of Barry is like putting Jason Kidd ahead of Jeff Hornacek on the best 3 point shooters of all time just because Kidd has more made 3 pointers.

yoefan23
06-11-2011, 10:29 PM
i never understood why ppl put down emmitt...he holds every major record and has 3 super bowls....and then you use the lamest excuse ever....hell look at jerry rice. ppl claim him as the greatest ever and you never hear that he always played with a hof qb. i have said it before, if you take a qb that has won 3 suber bowls and has the most passing yards, td's and highest passer rating off all time there would be no doubt he was the greatest ever. but i say emmitt and you say well he this guy this guy and this guy on his team....so what lol

I never put Emmitt Smith down. You brought him into this. I simply defended Barry when you said he was overrated.

coach
06-11-2011, 11:34 PM
I never put Emmitt Smith down. You brought him into this. I simply defended Barry when you said he was overrated.

i didnt meant o say you put him down as a put down. I was trying to say ppl put him down the list of greatest. sorry for the bad explanation

coach
06-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Cal Ripken Jr.

DDBooger
06-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Cal Ripken Jr. Was going to say the same earlier. He's durable.

DDBooger
06-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Ozzie Smith??? yay/nay?

coach
06-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Ozzie Smith??? yay/nay?

maybe with the bat, but def. not with the glove.

coach
06-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Was going to say the same earlier. He's durable.

the streak is unbelievable and one of the greatest sports record that has ever happened, but his actual play is overrated

DDBooger
06-11-2011, 11:38 PM
maybe with the bat, but def. not with the glove. He's held in high esteem with players that are probably more COMPLETE players. But yeah, he was pretty damn good with the glove.

eagles_victory
06-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Ozzie Smith??? yay/nay? yes Imo you cant be an all time great in baseball and be an average offensive player.

DDBooger
06-11-2011, 11:41 PM
He's still playing, but he's one of those that people will say, he never got enough respect or he struck out too much.

Jim Thome?

coach
06-11-2011, 11:41 PM
He's still playing, but he's one of those that people will say, he never got enough respect or he struck out too much.

Jim Thome?

o gosh, i know ev will comment on this one lol

Roughneck93
06-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Freddy Adu.

coach
06-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Freddy Adu.

still too young to say, but it is looking that way.

Michelle Wie

eagles_victory
06-11-2011, 11:46 PM

Jim Thome? He is one of my favorite players of all time. But not an all time great. He has great career numbers because he has been consistently solid for a long time, but I dont think hes ever even been a top 3 MVP candidate. How can you be an all time great when you werent even one of the best during the time that you played.

DDBooger
06-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
He is one of my favorite players of all time. But not an all time great. He has great career numbers because he has been consistently solid for a long time, but I dont think hes ever even been a top 3 MVP candidate. How can you be an all time great when you werent even one of the best during the time that you played. Is the thread speculating about all time greats or simply overrated athletes?

Roughneck93
06-11-2011, 11:48 PM
still too young to say, but it is looking that way.

Michelle Wie

Wie is a good one.
I was just remembering the hype surrounding Adu. The "next Pele" as I recall.

eagles_victory
06-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Is the thread speculating about all time greats or simply overrated athletes? Well Thome is considered an all time great by many so therefore imo he is overrated. People say he is a first ballot hall of famer . Hall of fame is for greatness not really good players. Jim is just really good

DDBooger
06-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Well Thome is considered an all time great by many so therefore imo he is overrated. People say he is a first ballot hall of famer . Hall of fame is for greatness not really good players. Jim is just really good Gotcha. Has he crossed 600 HRs yet?

eagles_victory
06-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Gotcha. Has he crossed 600 HRs yet? Nah hes on the DL right now.

yoefan23
06-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Maybe not the most overrated OF ALL TIME... But I think Marion Barber is very overrated.

coach
06-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Maybe not the most overrated OF ALL TIME... But I think Marion Barber is very overrated.

is he even rated?

eagles_victory
06-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Maybe not the most overrated OF ALL TIME... But I think Marion Barber is very overrated. Everyone knows he sucks now.