PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a new job, YAY

STANG RED
06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Got an offer from The Delaney Group just a few minutes ago, for an electrical project superintendent position, on renewable energy sites. I'm negotiating on some somewhat minor details in the offer, but none are a deal breakers. Just want to make sure all my bases are covered.

Problem is, my first project is at Howard, New York. But it's a wind farm with only 26 turbines, so I think it will only take about 4 months. Should be out of there before hard winter sets in, and summer ought to be nice and mild. Looks like my next project will be in the Oklahoma panhandle. Not a great place to be, but at least it's a lot closer to home.

The cool thing is, I'll be within a couple hours of Buffalo, Syracuse, NY City, and lots of other things I've never seen before. And I'll get to see lots of beautiful country between here and there on my trip to and from. After 3+ months of setting at home and honey doing, I’m looking forward to a new adventure, and what I hope is a great opportunity. Wish me luck.

buff4ever
06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Good Luck

Old LB
06-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Congrats!

Sweetwater Red
06-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Got an offer from The Delaney Group just a few minutes ago, for an electrical project superintendent position, on renewable energy sites. I'm negotiating on some somewhat minor details in the offer, but none are a deal breakers. Just want to make sure all my bases are covered.

Problem is, my first project is at Howard, New York. But it's a wind farm with only 26 turbines, so I think it will only take about 4 months. Should be out of there before hard winter sets in, and summer ought to be nice and mild. Looks like my next project will be in the Oklahoma panhandle. Not a great place to be, but at least it's a lot closer to home.

The cool thing is, I'll be within a couple hours of Buffalo, Syracuse, NY City, and lots of other things I've never seen before. And I'll get to see lots of beautiful country between here and there on my trip to and from. After 3+ months of setting at home and honey doing, I’m looking forward to a new adventure, and what I hope is a great opportunity. Wish me luck.

Congrats on the new gig STANG. :clap:

Try to get along with them New Yorkers. I hear they can be a rude bunch. :D

SintonFan
06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Good Luck!:clap:

STANG RED
06-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Thats what I'd heard about them North Dakotans to, but they couldnt have been nicer, for the most part. But theres always a turd or two in every crowd.

It may be New York, but I'll be out with country folks in the booneys mostley. I'll bet they are nothing like NY City folks.

In all my travels, I'd say 95% of the people I've met are just as good as any I know from home. I meet great people everywhere I go. Maybe I'm just lucky that way, idk.

Old LB
06-09-2011, 02:07 PM
My brother in law was in NY around the first of the year, said in the city the buildings block the signal to the GPS. Also said you better have lots of toll money to move around in the city, parking, forget about it!

Phil C
06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Congratulations! Are you going to be near Albany, NY?

Roughneck93
06-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah, congrats and good luck! :clap:

STANG RED
06-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Congratulations! Are you going to be near Albany, NY?

Looks like about 250 miles, or about 4 hours. I plan on making lots of weekend trips while I'm there. Niagra Falls will prob be my first trip. I'll only be a couple hours from it.
I may go through Youngstown and Canton Ohio on my way up. Always wanted to visit the Hall of Fame.

Trashman
06-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Congrats on the new job!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SWMustang
06-09-2011, 04:12 PM
congrats on the new gig!

bobcat1
06-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
congrats on the new gig! +1!

Phantom Stang
06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Congrats on the job!
I've been to NYC a couple of times, and found the people to be as friendly as anywhere else by and large.

Antec
06-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Congrats from Hungerford
I've been without a job since Feb. 24

All i have is experience in the newspaper business and a DJ from back in the early 80s

I'll probaby file for disability next years and continue to draw unemploymemt

Wife lost her job a few weekes ago with Fort Bend ISD

Times are tough to find a job in Wharton for Fort Bend Counties.

STANG RED
06-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Congrats from Hungerford
I've been without a job since Feb. 24

All i have is experience in the newspaper business and a DJ from back in the early 80s

I'll probaby file for disability next years and continue to draw unemploymemt

Wife lost her job a few weekes ago with Fort Bend ISD

Times are tough to find a job in Wharton for Fort Bend Counties.

Sorry to hear that bub. I hope things fall into place and it gets better for you.

I really hoped to find something around here, even if it was for considerably less than I'm used to making, but the job market around here pretty well sucks. I sure didnt plan on having to go all the way to New York to work, but I do feel fortunate to have a trade that pretty well always is in demand somewhere.
Good luck!

cr180t
06-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Congrats. U will have to go check out a NY hs football game and tell us about it.

bobcat4life
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by cr180t
Congrats. U will have to go check out a NY hs football game and tell us about it. And Ohio HS football if you get the chance. People up there talk about Ohio football like it is as good as Texas and Florida.

Sweetwater Red
06-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by cr180t
Congrats. U will have to go check out a NY hs football game and tell us about it.

Don"t do it STANG. He used that same kind of intel to recruit Clay and Wells. :devil:

STANG RED
06-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
And Ohio HS football if you get the chance. People up there talk about Ohio football like it is as good as Texas and Florida.

I'll def do that. Heck I'll even send some updates if yall want it. What supposedly good teams should I check out while up there?

Roughneck93
06-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I'll def do that. Heck I'll even send some updates if yall want it. What supposedly good teams should I check out while up there?

How about Aquinas or if close to Jersey, Don Bosco Prep?

skins4life
06-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Congrats and good luck. Be safe in your travels.

garciap77
06-10-2011, 07:26 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
06-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Congrats Marlin!!

LionFan72
06-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey man, great news! Sorry you have to travel to Yankee Land, but I admire your courage and stamina in your search. Keep us posted on your travels and be safe. Hope you will be home for some football, understand the Mustangs are gonna be a little salty this year.....good luck!

BwdLion73
06-10-2011, 01:33 PM
It will be a fun VISIT. My wife is up in that area now on business and said she was shocked at how nice the people treated her. She said they spend most of their time saying to her....talk some more....:D Never heard a Texas girl.;)

She said you will also enjoy the 26 dollar or so a day in tolls, also dont leave without driving on 95 at 5pm.

STANG RED
06-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
It will be a fun VISIT. My wife is up in that area now on business and said she was shocked at how nice the people treated her. She said they spend most of their time saying to her....talk some more....:D Never heard a Texas girl.;)

She said you will also enjoy the 26 dollar or so a day in tolls, also dont leave without driving on 95 at 5pm.

I’ll be in mostly rural areas, so I doubt I'll get into many toll situations (except for my occasional excursions to the big cities), but I'm sure I'll pay some between here and there. Yea I got a lot of that "talk some more" business when I was in North Dakota for 9 months. Sometime I'd just lay it on em extra thick, just to get a reaction out of them. LOL, sometime having phone conversations with them almost required an interpreter.
And NO, I don’t think I'll be trying I-95 during rush hour. If I ever do happen to find myself in that predicament, I think I'll just find a little beer joint and wait it out. I’ve done I-35 through Austin and Dallas during rush hour enough times to learn my lesson on dealing with that mess. You should try the 395 beltway around DC in rush hour. I’ve never seen anything like that before or since, and that’s been over 30 years since I’ve done that. I can only imagine how bad it is now.

IrishTex
06-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Congrats Stang!

You might consider getting a passport so you can go over to Canada and visit over there.

My old Army unit is supposed to have a reunion in Buffalo in August and I'm looking forward to seeing that country too.

Good luck!

SintonFan_inAustin
06-11-2011, 04:58 PM
If you like baseball, Cooperstown is'nt to far to visit the baseball Hall of Fame. City limit signs say Village of (town name) in most of those towns in NY, kind of weird from what we see in Texas when entering a town city limits.

STANG RED
06-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
If you like baseball, Cooperstown is'nt to far to visit the baseball Hall of Fame. City limit signs say Village of (town name) in most of those towns in NY, kind of weird from what we see in Texas when entering a town city limits.

No doubt I'll make both Cooperstown and Canton while I'm up there. Yea I've noticed all the towns are refered to a villages in NY. Some states use Township, Louisiana uses Parish. And I'm sure there are some others I havent heard of.

bigwood33
06-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Not upstate, they are just nice folks. You've got to go to Niagra Falls (Just out of Buffalo). It is one of my very favorite places, just spectacular! Also, when in Buffalo, you have to go the Anchor Bar and Grill, the original home of Buffalo Wings.

STANG RED
06-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Well I made it. Spending the night in Hornell NY, about 7 miles from the project. Have a meeting at 6:30 am tomorrow. I better get to bed.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee61/marlinkd/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzMtMjAxMTA2MTktMTg0Mi5qcGc.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee61/marlinkd/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzItMjAxMTA2MTktMTg0MC5qcGc.jpg

Phil C
06-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Good news indeed!