PDA

View Full Version : Bdr

Old Tiger
06-09-2011, 10:50 AM
What do you think of ol Tommy trying to lobby to get Auburn the vacated BCS championship USC had?

Stoops did the right thing by saying they didn't want it IMO.

Old LB
06-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Very, very sad. :(

big daddy russ
06-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Just came across this in a search for another thread.

I'll take it if they give it to us. I'd be stoked to have it. But let's be honest, a "vacated national title" doesn't mean anything. USC will always be the champs in everyone's mind. They were hella good that year.

One thing about college sports, everyone violates the rules. Everyone. I'm not saying every university administration knows about it when and where it happens, but $20 handshakes happen everywhere. Thirty, forty years ago, the NCAA kept more of an eye on small schools. Nowadays, with how much media coverage the major programs get, every major program that slips will get caught. Happened to us (Auburn), Ohio State, Okie, USC, Oregon, etc, etc.

Though I really believed we matched up well with the Trojans and had a great chance at beating them, in the final tally they never lost and opinions about who's the better team don't count for much. Just ask Appalachian State, Boise State, and TCU. I'd be happy to take that trophy off their hands, but I think in mine (and most people's) minds, it's still USC's title. A trophy in our case doesn't change that perception.

eagles_victory
06-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

I'll take it if they give it to us. I'd be stoked to have it. But let's be honest, a "vacated national title" doesn't mean anything. USC will always be the champs in everyone's mind. They were hella good that year.

One thing about college sports, everyone violates the rules. Everyone. I'm not saying every university administration knows about it when and where it happens, but $20 handshakes happen everywhere. Thirty, forty years ago, the NCAA kept more of an eye on small schools. Nowadays, with how much media coverage the major programs get, every major program that slips will get caught. Happened to us (Auburn), Ohio State, Okie, USC, Oregon, etc, etc.

Though I really believed we matched up well with the Trojans and had a great chance at beating them, in the final tally they never lost and opinions about who's the better team don't count for much. Just ask Appalachian State, Boise State, and TCU. I'd be happy to take that trophy off their hands, but I think in mine (and most people's) minds, it's still USC's title. A trophy in our case doesn't change that perception. Speaking of Auburn and the NCAA still trying to figure out how Cam Newton got to play.

big daddy russ
06-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Speaking of Auburn and the NCAA still trying to figure out how Cam Newton got to play.
Right now they're saying Cecil knew, but there's no connection to Cam. If it happened, it'll come out eventually.

Goes back to what I was saying. Everyone cheats in some form or another. Cam, Reggie, Rhett Bomar, however, were the elephants in the room.

I still believe that there were plenty of players on our '04 team who got their hands on some folding money, just like there were plenty of OU kids who did the same. If I believe that happened, that there's a lack of institutional control everywhere, and those are the only three teams with legit claims to the throne, where does that leave the title? Certainly not with us, even though we have the second-best claim to it.

trojandad
06-23-2011, 12:02 AM

Though I really believed we matched up well with the Trojans and had a great chance at beating them, in the final tally they never lost and opinions about who's the better team don't count for much. Just ask Appalachian State, Boise State, and TCU. I'd be happy to take that trophy off their hands, but I think in mine (and most people's) minds, it's still USC's title. A trophy in our case doesn't change that perception.

while i agree with your premise and understand most people agree that it was usc that won it, i take another view, that if every school offered a top recruit (or 10 of them) to put their parents up in a $200k house for the duration of their playing time, usc might not have had the best team that year....they skewed knowing who the best team was that year by their offenses, and without bush i dont see that they would have had as good of a team.....we know at the very least bush wouldnt have been behind leinart to push him into the end zone on that last play against notre dame, which would have ruined that season.....

by the way, good to see you, russ, glad you guys made it back safe.....thanks for bringing the rain back with you....:)

eagles_victory
06-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by trojandad
while i agree with your premise and understand most people agree that it was usc that won it, i take another view, that if every school offered a top recruit (or 10 of them) to put their parents up in a $200k house for the duration of their playing time, usc might not have had the best team that year....they skewed knowing who the best team was that year by their offenses, and without bush i dont see that they would have had as good of a team.....we know at the very least bush wouldnt have been behind leinart to push him into the end zone on that last play against notre dame, which would have ruined that season.....

by the way, good to see you, russ, glad you guys made it back safe.....thanks for bringing the rain back with you....:) Wrong season.

trojandad
06-23-2011, 12:09 AM
he didnt push him in vinces year, did he?

big daddy russ
06-23-2011, 12:09 AM

by the way, good to see you, russ, glad you guys made it back safe.....thanks for bringing the rain back with you....:)
That's definitely the other side of the argument, but I wonder how many schools have done that? Not saying something like that happens everywhere, just saying that college athletics are more corrupt than most of us would like to believe.

And on that note, how did Nebraska ever build a program? What do they have to offer? I've seen their women, go to Arizona State or a school in MS/AL/GA if that's what you're after.

Good to see you too. Sure was nice to get some rain. Now I'm just hoping I watered enough during the drought not to see my foundation settle.

eagles_victory
06-23-2011, 12:13 AM
he didnt push him in vinces year, did he? They beat them 41-10 in 04. Bush push was 05.

trojandad
06-23-2011, 12:15 AM
And on that note, how did Nebraska ever build a program? What do they have to offer? I've seen their women

you know, always thought the same thing, then last summer my wife is in a summer math reu program at a&m and this blonde hair blue eyed beauty from lincoln showed up, just a precious lady...then shes with my wife and her phone goes off....ringtone is the theme to monday night football....i mean the girl was the entire package.....i told her she HAD to be a transfer student TO lincoln.....she laughed, even SHE knew the rep of nebraska girls....

trojandad
06-23-2011, 12:15 AM
i stand corrected, thank you....

Txbroadcaster
06-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
What do you think of ol Tommy trying to lobby to get Auburn the vacated BCS championship USC had?

Stoops did the right thing by saying they didn't want it IMO.

difference is OU got BEAT and beat bad by USC, AU never got the chance.