PDA

View Full Version : Answer to the old 7 on 7 question

CenTexSports
06-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Does success in the 7 on 7 indicate future success?

YES

Cameron took 2nd on a last second touchdown to Brownwood last summer in the 7 on 7. When school started:

Football: 2nd in state on a last second TD
Boys basketball: Regional semifinals
Girls basketball: Regional finals
Boys track: Third in state (after losing a key member)
Girls track: Won state championship
Girls golf: Second in state
Baseball: Playing for the state championship today.

Actually this is probably more the result of a "perfect storm." A combination of a really good senior class and dropping down to 2a. However, the football team beat all 3a teams in pre-district and the girls track won every meet they entered including several 3a meets.

Matthew328
06-09-2011, 08:33 AM
It depends on a lot of things, but the trend lately is that teams who do well in 7 on 7 will probably do well in football.....

GrTigers6
06-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Well, look at Brownwood last year. They won the 7on7 and only ended up playing 14 games in the fall:D

Old Tiger
06-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
It depends on a lot of things, but the trend lately is that teams who do well in 7 on 7 will probably do well in football..... That is because teams are actually running their offense more and not 7on7 gimmick offenses, correct?

GrTigers6
06-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
That is because teams are actually running their offense more and not 7on7 gimmick offenses, correct? We run our normal offense, It seems pointless to run something that you wont use in the fall.

Ernest T Bass
06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Im still trying to figure out why sixman teams play 7 on 7

Yoe_09
06-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Does success in the 7 on 7 indicate future success?

YES

Cameron took 2nd on a last second touchdown to Brownwood last summer in the 7 on 7. When school started:

Football: 2nd in state on a last second TD
Boys basketball: Regional semifinals
Boys track: Third in state (after losing a key member)
Baseball: Playing for the state championship today.

Actually this is probably more the result of a "perfect storm." A combination of a really good senior class and dropping down to 2a. However, the football team beat all 3a teams in pre-district and the girls track won every meet they entered including several 3a meets.

Girls cross country also was runner up at state as well.

Old LB
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
I am excited for Cameron and glad to see you guys have success, but how would 7 on 7 have anything to do with girls athletics? :confused:

Old Tiger
06-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Old LB
I am excited for Cameron and glad to see you guys have success, but how would 7 on 7 have anything to do with girls athletics? :confused: Them boys "motivate" the girls?

Ernest T Bass
06-09-2011, 10:02 AM
So, I think the moral of the story here is that athletes=wins.

gatordaze
06-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
We run our normal offense, It seems pointless to run something that you wont use in the fall.

Unless your normal offense is to run the run!

GrTigers6
06-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Unless your normal offense is to run the run! But you still throw some right?
So you work on those plays while doing 7on7

MGAR
06-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Around here most schools run actual pass plays they use in the games.

The running teams use gimmick plays.

Old Tiger
06-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
So, I think the moral of the story here is that athletes=wins. except on the golf course....I've seen many of great athletes be terrible at gold, myself included.

Matthew328
06-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
That is because teams are actually running their offense more and not 7on7 gimmick offenses, correct?

This is correct.....I dont have a problem w/a few gimmick or 7 on 7 specific plays here and there honestly...kids want to win and sometimes winning breeds winning etc...

Celina uses more of a gimmicky 7 on 7 offense, but a lot of their routes etc are routes they run in the season...Celina runs a lot of crossing routes, rollouts and medium range stuff in 7 on 7 and when they do throw it in the season they run similar stuff...

BILLYFRED0000
06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
This is correct.....I dont have a problem w/a few gimmick or 7 on 7 specific plays here and there honestly...kids want to win and sometimes winning breeds winning etc...

Celina uses more of a gimmicky 7 on 7 offense, but a lot of their routes etc are routes they run in the season...Celina runs a lot of crossing routes, rollouts and medium range stuff in 7 on 7 and when they do throw it in the season they run similar stuff...

Yeah that is what most people don't get. We use the pass as an extension of the run. Ball control high percentage stuff. We can throw downfield and will but we like to keep the ball all day and wear out the defense. That is why we frequently have closer first halves then pull away.

Torb
06-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Our 7 on 7 coaches only use our passing game. We even line up in split backs in 7 on 7 some. What you see from us in 7 on 7 is what we do in our pass game. But, we will run the football...alot.

Rabid Cougar
06-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Has nothing to do with 7 on 7.

There is a huge difference in having 420 students in you school and competing against schools with 800 or 900 and against schools with 200 kids.

Cameron has never had a problem with producing quality athletes nor competing in 3A. They are now simply the biggest kid on the block with the most marbles.

Matthew328
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Torb
Our 7 on 7 coaches only use our passing game. We even line up in split backs in 7 on 7 some. What you see from us in 7 on 7 is what we do in our pass game. But, we will run the football...alot.

I can vouch for that! ;) That being said, you guys are pretty good at the 7 on 7 stuff

Additup
06-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

I will say that 7 on 7 helped us innovate a new pass protection we call SIPPI. Only problem is defenses always rush before they call out the 4th SIPPI. Our refs always miss those calls in the fall.

Wonder if our girls teams will pay for our 7 on 7 unis since i can now show them how we're trying to help them get to Austin?

Old Tiger
06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Brady used to have the worst gimmick 7on7 ever.

BEAST
06-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
But you still throw some right?
So you work on those plays while doing 7on7

Not Celina. The vast majority of their 7 on 7 plays would be illegal in real football.

BEAST