PDA

View Full Version : Dirk..........

BEAST
06-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I have always thought he is one of the best players in the NBA. Not really sure when I first picked up on him but he was really young and raw. Over the years, to me, he has become one of the best offensive scorers in the league. What, if any, do yall think this years playoff run has done for his legacy?

BEAST

Farmersfan
06-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't see how it could do anything other than prove a lot of the naysayers wrong. (even me).

How much respect do you give Dirk for agreeing to do the press conference after the game last night even though he was sick and could barely talk? I thought it showed tons of class that a lot of NBA players don't have. I certainly respect him a lot more now than i did a few months ago.

BEAST
06-08-2011, 04:39 PM
He has never been a self promoter like so many of the super stars are today. I am really glad he has had such an amazing playoff run this year. I think a lot of people are taking notice finally.

BEAST

STANG RED
06-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
He has never been a self promoter like so many of the super stars are today. I am really glad he has had such an amazing playoff run this year. I think a lot of people are taking notice finally.

BEAST

Agreed! And when you combine his play with the hate most people have for the Heat right now, Dirk has won tons of fans all over the country.

Txbroadcaster
06-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I honestly never understood how someone like him could have haters.he works hard, plays hard never misses games and plays the game the right way without alot of mouthing off

Emerson1
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I honestly never understood how someone like him could have haters.he works hard, plays hard never misses games and plays the game the right way without alot of mouthing off

Because he is white and European. "Soft" is like saying a receiver is a "wes welker type".

icu812
06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Through 4 games in the finals.

Plus/minus

Mavs are -35 without Dirk
Heat are +6 without Labron
Heat are +1 without Wade

Interesting numbers

Are the Heat a better TEAM when Labron and Wade are not on the floor together? I don't think so because this is a small sample and both players have played heavy minutes.

Has Dirk given a finals MVP performance even if the Mavs don't win? I say no they need to win.

I think what these numbers say is that while Dirk may not be the best player on the court (Wade), he is the most important player. When he isn't on the floor the Mavs have struggled. Dirk doesn't have to score a ton of points but he needs to be on the floor. Same with Kidd, he didn't score last game and the Mavs were like +12 when he was on the floor.

Anyway, Dirk has definately helped his legacy as a great player. He isn't doing anything different than he's been doing for years. Except winning playoff games.

Emerson1
06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Those numbers are completely useless.

icu812
06-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Those numbers are completely useless.

I tend to agree with you given the small sample size. However, plus/minus is useful in showing the value of a player like Jason Kidd.

ctown
06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Diggler

ctown
06-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Oh. Sorry thought it was the mini association thread....

Old Tiger
06-08-2011, 08:41 PM
nothing if he doesn't win it all....he'll be one of the best not to win a title though.

bigwood33
06-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Because he is white and European. "Soft" is like saying a receiver is a "wes welker type".
Not that my opinion has ever really mattered for much but I could never understand the "soft" thing. I remember when he got his teeth knocked out in a playoff game with the Spurs. He bent over and picked them up, ran to the locker room and in about 5 or 10 minutes (real time, not game time) came running back onto the court. He finished that game with 42 points and 18 rebounds. I am really glad that the national media has finally caught up with what Mavericks fans have known for a long time, Dirk is a gamer. If the Mavs can somehow win this series, Dirk's performance in this years playoffs will be the stuff of legend. If they don't win, it will just be another nice playoff performance. Not fair but fact.

Emerson1
06-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Or how many times his ankle with past 90* and he came right back in. Mean while Dwade is carried out on a wheel chair.

LionFan72
06-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Win equals MVP, loss equals Dan Marino.

SintonFan
06-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by LionFan72
Win equals MVP, loss equals Dan Marino.

Or Danny White.:eek:

Txbroadcaster
06-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Or Danny White.:eek:

I think Dirk has gotten the respect that goes past the he did not win a title( if he does not win one).

eagles_victory
06-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think Dirk has gotten the respect that goes past the he did not win a title( if he does not win one). NBA there is always two levels great players with championships and great players without them.

Txbroadcaster
06-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
NBA there is always two levels great players with championships and great players without them.

That was my point..if he ends up not winning one he is now at the level of Malone, Stockton and Barkely..where the fact they did not win a ring does not hurt their status

Farmersfan
06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
We are all jumping the gun a little bit on all these exclaimations about Dirk. Although it is probably one of the most debated opinions in sports that Dirk is soft or not we can't disregard the fact that half the world didn't suddenly wake up one day and decide collectively to start calling him soft. He earned the rep with his style of play. I have been one of the worst denouncers of Dirks style of play because I also can't stand to see a 7'er flopping around like the 6' point guard that is guarding him just ripped his spine out. It seemed like Dirk decided early on he would not go strong but instead would flop around the basket to try and get calls. THAT is what earned him the rep of being soft. That and his defense. A 7'er that swats at the ball around the offensive player's waist instead of going up strong to meet the ball at it's peak will be viewed as a pansy most of the time. And rightfully so IMHO! Dirk has quite a few blocked shots in his career but I would not hesitate to say he has ZERO blocked shots when defending on a one-on-one basis. Every single one of them would have come from backside help. A 7'er should accidentlly block a few shots by just hanging out under the basket.
So in a nutshell I guess what I am saying is that very few people who called Dirk soft were saying he was a wussie or wasn't tough. I think they meant Dirk played a soft game. Avoiding contact both offensively and defensively and backing away from other players under the basket instead of trying to enforce his will. And at 7' he should be able to physically enforce his will somewhat but rarely does he ever try it. He is all finesse which is ok but a finesse player will almost always be seen as soft if he play a BIG MAN position.

Disclaimer: In a recent game I did see Dirk go up above the rim by himself and reject a dunk by Labron James (I think). I was as giddy as a school girl on prom night. :D :D

BEAST
06-10-2011, 04:49 PM
To me, he has proven several things this post season.

1) He aint soft.
2) He is a hell of a closer
3) As far as superstars go, he is the best team player of them all right now.
4) He is without question the leader of the team.
5) Did I mention he has been clutch in the 4th qtr. Dirk 52 LBJ 11.

BEAST

Roughneck93
06-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
To me, he has proven several things this post season.

1) He aint soft.
2) He is a hell of a closer
3) As far as superstars go, he is the best team player of them all right now.
4) He is without question the leader of the team.
5) Did I mention he has been clutch in the 4th qtr. Dirk 52 LBJ 11.

BEAST

He has proven all of these points without a doubt. Especially point five. Love seeing that.

zebrablue2
06-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Dirk is a stud...

LionFan72
06-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
Dirk is a stud...

Dirk is the STUD this year.......