View Full Version : Tragedy in Arizona

SHSBulldog00
06-04-2011, 12:21 AM
This is very sad:( :( :(

Little Leaguer dies after he's hit by pitch

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6624227

ccmom
06-04-2011, 01:05 AM
That hits very close to home for me and breaks my heart for the family and community. I will keep them in my prayers.

trojan37
06-04-2011, 02:21 AM
That's scary.my 7 year old took one that would have hit him in the side of the face Friday night. Luckily his face guard took the impact. It didn't seem to phase him but scared the crap out of me. I feel so sorry for this childs family.

bobcat1
06-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Thoughts and prayers to the family of Hayden. Sounded like a great kid.

zebrablue2
06-04-2011, 06:58 AM
:( Prayers said and sent for the family!!!!

Roughneck93
06-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Hate to hear this. Prayers to the family.

wimbo_pro
06-05-2011, 10:38 AM
There has been a lot of discussion in the past about young players (13 and under) having to wear a chest guard because their muscles and rib cage arent developed enough to prevent damage to the heart in a direct hit to it. It would be something like a plastic disc, worn under the shirt with straps around the neck and back. It would be similar to a cup...which you gotta ask...if we are protecting the "boys" (required of all kids in Little League), shouldnt we require this simple chest protector to save lives?

Cam
06-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
There has been a lot of discussion in the past about young players (13 and under) having to wear a chest guard because their muscles and rib cage arent developed enough to prevent damage to the heart in a direct hit to it. It would be something like a plastic disc, worn under the shirt with straps around the neck and back. It would be similar to a cup...which you gotta ask...if we are protecting the "boys" (required of all kids in Little League), shouldnt we require this simple chest protector to save lives?

That's a great idea. I would imagine this disc would have to be pretty thin and flexible. My 11 year old wants to play baseball next season. He could use this type of protection. He's all ribs right now.

Roughneck93
06-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Yeah, wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't know what the statistics are on these types of tragedies, but to me, one is too many.

Farmersfan
06-09-2011, 02:11 PM

If this were one of our kids we certainly would think this is a great idea. But I have to ask if we really need to overreact to a single heart damage incident over the long history of kids playing baseball? There have been many, many incidents of "racking" on male players so I understand the cup idea but as far as I know this is the only case like this that has ever happened. Are you aware of more?

greendawg84
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
If anybody is looking for one , Eastbay has them , sure not a bad idea to use one .

hollywood
06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Wow, freak incident. Prayers for the family and players. Prayers for the fella who threw the pitch too! Could you imagine? Sad story.

Old Tiger
06-09-2011, 04:20 PM
stories like this are few and far between, thank goodness.