PDA

View Full Version : TLU new Softball Coach - Cuero grad

44INAROW
06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
www.cuerorecord.com

Wilson named new TLU softball coach
(Posted Today 10:26 am)
SEGUIN -- Former Brenham High School softball coach Wade Wilson, a Cuero native, is the new head softball coach at Texas Lutheran University, TLU Director of Athletics Bill Miller announced Thursday.
Wilson comes to TLU after a successful head-coaching run at Brenham High School. Wilson coached the Brenham varsity softball team for nine seasons, 2003 to 2011, and led the Cubettes to the 2005 Class 4A State Championship.
"I am very honored to be the new coach at Texas Lutheran," Wilson said. "This certainly will be a challenge, and I have a lot to prove. Coaching at the college level has always been a dream of mine. I was looking for the right fit for me and for my family.
"I feel I have put in my time at the high school level, and I wanted the challenge of building a college program. I have been fortunate to coach two great high school programs, and I feel that this is a great opportunity. My family and I are very excited to get started."
Wilson was the Class 4A Associated Press Coach of the Year in 2005. The Cubettes were ranked in the Class 4A Top 10 for nine consecutive seasons. In addition to winning the state title in 2005, Brenham reached the state semifinals in 2007, the regional semifinals in 2003, and the regional quarterfinals in 2004, 2006, and 2008. Brenham went 27-8 in 2011 and advanced to the Class 4A Bi-District playoffs.
Wilson also coached varsity softball at Sinton High School for the 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 seasons. Sinton made Class 3A State Tournament semifinal appearances in 1999 and 2001. At Sinton, Wilson coached eventual TLU standout pitcher Amanda Stevens, who still holds TLU school records for career wins (58), career ERA (1.26) and consecutive scoreless innings (59-2/3). Stevens was the 2004 ASC West Pitcher of the Year and the 2004 ASC West Player of the Year.
Wilson posted a high school record of 383-71-6 in his 13 seasons as a head coach. His high school winning percentage stands at .839. Wilson was the fastest coach to reach 300 wins in Texas high school softball. He coached 11 high school NFCA All-Americans and two Golden Spike Award winners.
Wilson succeeds Missy Steiger at TLU. Steiger resigned April 28 after 11 seasons with the Bulldogs. Steiger posted an overall coaching record of 200-224-1 at TLU.
"Wade Wilson brings great coaching credentials and experience to our softball program, and we are thrilled that he has agreed to be our next softball coach," Miller said. "I know Wade can't wait to get started, and we can't wait to have him here on the job. We think he is a great fit for our university and our athletics department."
Wilson is the sixth head softball coach in TLU history. The 2012 season will be the 24th season of the university's softball program. The Bulldogs are 437-500-2 over the previous 23 seasons.
TLU plays in the American Southwest Conference of the NCAA Division III. The Bulldogs have not qualified for the ASC Softball Championship Tournament since 2005. TLU won its lone ASC West Division Championship in 2004. The Bulldogs finished third in the 2004 and 2005 ASC Softball Championship Tournaments.
Wilson holds a bachelor of science degree in kinesiology and education, with a minor in health, from Sam Houston State University. He completed a master's degree in education administration from Lamar University. Wilson played collegiate baseball at Ranger College and at Stephen F. Austin State University.
Wilson and his wife Jennifer are the proud parents of triplets - girls Hadlee and Harper and a boy, Hays. The triplets will be six in June.

Roc96
06-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Congratulations to Wade! That program will be legit in short order.