PDA

View Full Version : Big City or Small Town?

Bullaholic
06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Do you think it is better for kids to grow up in a big city (100K or more) or a small town?

RoyceTTU
06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Do you think it is better for kids to grow up in a big city (100K or more) or a small town?

Before about Jr. High it dosn't matter.

At Jr. High and above a smaller town for sure. In the smallet towns kids don't get lost in the shuffle in sports/academics/etc....

Gsquared
06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
I could always see the side of both arguments on the beginning of each Green Acres Episode.

Ernest T Bass
06-02-2011, 11:20 AM
It depends on what you want for your kids. Having lived and worked in schools in both, I'd choose a big city for my kids' sake.

GrTigers6
06-02-2011, 11:21 AM
I went from Allen K thru 7th, then moved to Class A Santa Anna 8th thru 12th. The smaller school was definetly the way to go. However I wouldnt suggest that small of a school if education is what you are mainly after. They dont offer near as many courses as the bigger schools.
My kids have gone from Early, K-2, Then West Columbia 2-5th
and finally Glen Rose 6th thru 12th. I would have to say that GR has been the best school for them.

nobogey72
06-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Just look at Opey Taylor. He grew up in Mayberry and ended up being a famous movie producer. :thinking: :thinking: He grew up in the same town with ETB so there is the negative side to small town.

bobcat1
06-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Just look at Opey Taylor. He grew up in Mayberry and ended up being a famous movie producer. :thinking: :thinking: He grew up in the same town with ETB so there is the negative side to small town. :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Ernest T Bass
06-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Just look at Opey Taylor. He grew up in Mayberry and ended up being a famous movie producer. :thinking: :thinking: He grew up in the same town with ETB so there is the negative side to small town.

Indeed. No doubt that ol' ETB probably could have achieved bigger and better had he grown up in a different place.

Old Tiger
06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
depends on if you raise them close minded or open minded.

PPHSfan
06-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I could always see the side of both arguments on the beginning of each Green Acres Episode.

You my friend are a comedic genius.

Gsquared
06-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
You my friend are a comedic genius.
To bad we formed a band instead of a comedy duo. Think we coulda been more like the Struthers Brothers instead of Sigfried and Roy or Donnie and Marie.

SHSBulldog00
06-02-2011, 11:53 AM
I have always lived in small towns and I turned out fine.

PPHSfan
06-02-2011, 12:06 PM
To bad we formed a band instead of a comedy duo. Think we coulda been more like the Struthers Brothers instead of Sigfried and Roy or Donnie and Marie.

Remember?

Todd Snider told us that musicians get more chicks than comedians.

big daddy russ
06-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Depends on the kid. One thing about small towns, you never shed the label you're given at an early age, no matter how much you change. Small towns are surely rougher on the kids that are different or not as well accepted. Also, as already mentioned, cities have more educational/extracurricular opportunities.

However, having the tight-knit community, less stress (traffic), and always seeing a friendly face at the local gas station is a great way to instill a sense of normalcy (well, what I'd call normalcy being from a small town and all) in your kids. My wife (raised in Houston) is always dumbfounded at how many people still stop me and say hi when we go to the HEB in Ingleside whenever we're down, even though I haven't lived there in years.

Ideally, I'd like to live in a small town outside a big city for the lifestyle, lack of traffic, and lack of stressed-out people, but send my kids to a private school in that city.

sahen
06-02-2011, 12:44 PM
way too many variables....depends on the small town or city you are talking about and also the kid...i went 1st through 8th in liberty and then went to high school in baytown...i thought i loved liberty until i moved to baytown, but my sister who went 1-6 in liberty and then 7-8, and half of 10th grade in baytown hated it compared to liberty...

also 100,000K plus could be a lot of suburbs of bigger cities...typically, in my opinion, those suburbs offer the best educational opportunities for kids and if your kid is a decent athlete it gives them a good shot there....compare that with an inner city school and it is night and day...most (but not all) of the inner city schools are struggling mightly when it comes to the educational oppotunities and a lot of good kids get lost in some bad stuff there...

Roughneck93
06-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Small town.....but that's all I've ever known.

AP Panther Fan
06-02-2011, 03:06 PM

:foul: :foul: :foul:

I will be thinking of that song for the rest of the day!