PDA

View Full Version : Best Cooler?

Bullaholic
06-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Igloo has always been my old standby, but I think there have been some advances that allow multi-day cooling without much loss.

I usually use one Igloo for the drinks and one for the food...

OLE'BULL
06-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Igloo has always been my old standby, but I think there have been some advances that allow multi-day cooling without much loss.

I usually use one Igloo for the drinks and one for the food...

YETI, hands down.

http://www.yeticoolers.com/

bobcat1
06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
The one with cold beer in it.:D

greendawg84
06-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
The one with cold beer in it.:D

Add free and I am there with you.

Bullaholic
06-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Bobcat---you ever had to buy another cooler after a couple of days because somebody forgot to take the fish out of one? One of life's little pleasures....

PPHSfan
06-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Styrofoam keeps beer cold long enough. If your beer gets hot before you drink it. You're not drinking it fast enough.

Bullaholic
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Styrofoam keeps beer cold long enough. If your beer gets hot before you drink it. You're not drinking it fast enough.

You are a practical man indeed.....:D

You know how to "trap" G2, PPHSFan? You put a jar with a mouth just big enough to pass a Shiner through on the end of a strong rope tied to a tree. Put a cold Shiner inside and wait. G2 will come along---see the Shiner in the jar--put his hand in and grab it and try to pull it out---He will never let it go long enough to get his hand out and you've got him....Be sure and check the trap every couple of days, though---G2 would starve to death before he lets go of that Shiner....:D

Reds fan
06-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeti is the top of the line as far as coolers go BUT they are not the best for the dollar. Yeti Tundra 75 qt lists for $400. Igloo 70 qt Max Cold is around $84.

Yeti would have to keep ice almost 5 times longer to justify the price. I have both a Yeti, it was a gift, and an Igloo Max Cold, side by side under the same conditions the Yeti does keep ice longer but NO where near 5 times as long.

Price of Yeti does not justify itself IMO.

Bullaholic
06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Coleman makes a model you can plug-in that functions like a small freezer. I wonder if that works well for long periods?

Reds fan
06-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I have a small one, forget the brand right now, but it will both heat and cool. Have had it for 7-8 years and still works fine.

Roughneck93
06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Coleman makes a model you can plug-in that functions like a small freezer. I wonder if that works well for long periods?

I have a Coleman that you plug in and can be used as a cold or warming cooler. For me it doesn't get cold enough so I only use it to keep bbq warm after it comes off the grill. Got it for $25 so it's paid for itself already.

big daddy russ
06-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Yeti is the top of the line as far as coolers go BUT they are not the best for the dollar. Yeti Tundra 75 qt lists for $400. Igloo 70 qt Max Cold is around $84.

Yeti would have to keep ice almost 5 times longer to justify the price. I have both a Yeti, it was a gift, and an Igloo Max Cold, side by side under the same conditions the Yeti does keep ice longer but NO where near 5 times as long.

Price of Yeti does not justify itself IMO.
That MaxCold is a hell of a cooler. Mine kept ice for two days in the sun in 90*-plus heat down on the coast this weekend--and mine is blue. A white one would be even better if you're exposing it to sunlight.

I like the Yetis for extreme circumstances (like if you're going offshore for a couple days), but for the money that MaxCold is impossible to beat.

crabman
06-01-2011, 11:29 PM
http://schroederamerica.com/images/CT2.pdf

Get you one of these and never need a cooler again. Dispenses 29 degree beer from a room temperature keg. You can serve the Beast out of this thing and it will taste good. We have one in The Venue. Best investment we made.

hollywood
07-22-2013, 03:56 PM
It's been a while since anyone posted on this subject but curious to know if any of the high end coolers are worth the $ over a Coleman, Igloo, Rubbermade, etc. I know the amount of usage is a factor... but can anyone offer experience with any below? Years of durablitlity, etc?

Engel
IceMate
Icey-Tek
Igloo Yukon
Pelican
Yeti

bobcat1
07-22-2013, 06:45 PM
It's been a while since anyone posted on this subject but curious to know if any of the high end coolers are worth the $ over a Coleman, Igloo, Rubbermade, etc. I know the amount of usage is a factor... but can anyone offer experience with any below? Years of durablitlity, etc?

Engel
IceMate
Icey-Tek
Igloo Yukon
Pelican
YetiMy nephew sells Engels in Graham and they are the best I have ever seen.

Weebe
07-22-2013, 06:58 PM
The only thing that Yeti is the best at is marketing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6-TE4RnqT0U

Old Green
07-22-2013, 07:16 PM
I gloo has came out with one comparable to the Yeti at about 3/4 of the cost. Can't wait to find one.

piratebg
07-22-2013, 11:55 PM
I don't know about best but when you are tight on money you find ways to make a good one.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj37/myflower69/JudithsBBQJan08068.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/myflower69/media/JudithsBBQJan08068.jpg.html)

waterboy
07-23-2013, 07:21 AM
We sell Yeti coolers here where I work if anybody is interested in saving a few bucks. We are quite a bit cheaper than retail.

lostaussie
07-23-2013, 08:18 AM
These are the best coolers made.......bar none. You can find them in many saltwater boats:D

http://www.engel-usa.com/why-choose-engel/why-choose-deepblue-coolers/deep-blue-cooler-features

bobcat1
07-23-2013, 11:29 AM
These are the best coolers made.......bar none. You can find them in many saltwater boats:D

http://www.engel-usa.com/why-choose-engel/why-choose-deepblue-coolers/deep-blue-cooler-featuresExactly. If you need one call my nephew Blake Seylor in Graham at Texoma Foam Insulation (940) 549-3626. He sells them right. Tell him uncle Bobby sent you

waterboy
07-23-2013, 11:57 AM
I would be satisfied with one of those coolers that will keep ice at least one full day in the summer, AND has a built-in killer sound system! They are expensive, though...

lostaussie
07-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Exactly. If you need one call my nephew Blake Seylor in Graham at Texoma Foam Insulation (940) 549-3626. He sells them right. Tell him uncle Bobby sent youThey are expensive...........and I mean real expensive. I keep waiting on the guys to damage one so I can pick it up cheap:D

hollywood
07-23-2013, 11:15 PM
I've looked into all of the higher end coolers. I've had Igloo's, Coleman's, etc. They do the job. I like having ice in my cooler w/o making several trips for ice. I'm tired of cheap coolers! I'm liking the Engel, Pelican and Yeti so far.

BTW, Yeti is located in Austin. They have discounted blemished coolers for 20% or more with inventory changing daily. Call for prices

Warehouse (Shipping):
YETI Coolers
3411 Hidalgo Street
Austin, TX 78702
Phone: 512.394.9384

bag-o-chips
07-24-2013, 05:50 AM
I use one called FRIO ice chest. It is a roto mold and has ss latches. I have a 120q that kept ice loose for drinks without clumping for 2 days in 98 degree weather. If you are a member on the Aggie Yell site Slickwillie will get you a discount as well. The 120 list for $375. The Yeti 125 q was way over $500. I heard he has a new line out soon that the 65q's will have LED lights in the lid.

http://frioicechests.com/

bag-o-chips
07-24-2013, 05:56 AM
The engels look almost identical to the frios except the latch. I would bet they were molded in China by SCC. Looking closely they are two peas in a pod. Except for the latches.

Old Tiger
07-24-2013, 06:22 AM
The best cooler is one with someone else's beer in it and they're nice enough to let you have a couple.