Why, any coach who posts on the 3ADL--of course....:D

In 3A, if SC's and total wins over multiple seasons are the main criteria:

Scott Surratt- Carthage
Jeff Traylor- Gilmer
Butch Ford- Celina
Hugh Sandifer- Abilene Wylie

And, of course, my homer pick---

Danny Henson- Bridgeport
He has done more with less overall (no disrespect to any of the players) in 18 seasons than anybody, and is still one of the best offensive minds in the game.

Ernest T Bass
06-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Still Josh Ragsdale.

Bullaholic
06-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Still Josh Ragsdale.

Man. Rags must have some serious dirt on you, ETB...:D

Seriously--I never met the man, but he seems like a good man who really cares about his kids from what I have seen on here.

Ernest T Bass
06-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Man. Rags must have some serious dirt on you, ETB...:D

Seriously--I never met the man, but he seems like a good man who really cares about his kids from what I have seen on here.

Dude can flat out coach! You oughta hear him turn a 20 minute meeting into an hour and a half! Magical!

teetle
06-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Jimmie Mitchell ands thats Dumont from Rices. Theys the bestes to come around in a longs while. Theys knows whats theys be doing.:D :weeping: :weeping: :D

Old LB
06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Can't remember his name, Eagle1 will know, but the coach down at Goldthwaite has got to be high on the list.

nt7on7
06-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Guy is unknown to many, but I have been thoroughly impressed with the man. Mikael Miller at Van Alstyne. Young guy that won't be there long in my estimation. Someone will get them a very good coach.

STANG RED
06-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Why, any coach who posts on the 3ADL--of course....:D

In 3A, if SC's and total wins over multiple seasons are the main criteria:

Scott Surratt- Carthage
Jeff Traylor- Gilmer
Butch Ford- Celina
Hugh Sandifer- Abilene Wylie

I'd have to give the nod to Sandifer. Dude can do more with less talent than any coach I've ever seen. Those other 3 may certainly be great coaches, but they are nearly always loaded with talent as well. I'd love to see what Sandifer could do with that much talent year in and year out.

Owens, out at Monahans is great coach as well. He gets 100% out of every player he has, and he has a very small pond to pick from. I'd love to see what he could do with a talent heavy team as well.

GrTigers6
06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Old LB
Can't remember his name, Eagle1 will know, but the coach down at Goldthwaite has got to be high on the list. Gary Proffitt, I believe, And yes he has my vote!
:clap:

Sweetwater Red
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'd have to give the nod to Sandifer. Dude can do more with less talent than any coach I've ever seen. Those other 3 may certainly be great coaches, but they are nearly always loaded with talent as well. I'd love to see what Sandifer could do with that much talent year in and year out.

Owens, out at Monahans is great coach as well. He gets 100% out of every player he has, and he has a very small pond to pick from. I'd love to see what he could do with a talent heavy team as well.

Well said and I agree.

Btw, I thought about bringing you some fresh shrimp. But, I wasn't
sure how fresh it would be after six and a half hours of sitting in
my floor board on the way back. :D

oldtownag
06-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Scott Surratt- Carthage

Three State Championships in four seasons!

End discussion - close thread!

Old LB
06-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag
Scott Surratt- Carthage

Three State Championships in four seasons!

End discussion - close thread!

Three championships in four seasons, sounds like room for improvement to me. :thinking: :taunt:

STANG RED
06-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Well said and I agree.

Btw, I thought about bringing you some fresh shrimp. But, I wasn't
sure how fresh it would be after six and a half hours of sitting in
my floor board on the way back. :D

LOL, well thats what they make coolers and ice for man:foul:. I coulda sure used some fresh gulf shrimp. Hell if you would have just called, I might have gone with ya.
:hijacktd:
Sorry

Bullaholic
06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
LOL, well thats what they make coolers and ice for man:foul:. I coulda sure used some fresh gulf shrimp. Hell if you would have just called, I might have gone with ya.
:hijacktd:
Sorry

Fresh shrimp>coaches...:D

jason
06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
how about the head guy at aledo...

several state semi-finals and finals appearances along with the last 2 state titles in the last 7 or 8 years...

Bullaholic
06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by jason
how about the head guy at aledo...

several state semi-finals and finals appearances along with the last 2 state titles in the last 7 or 8 years...

Tim Buchanan-Aledo would be among the top coaches in the state---consistent excellence every year at Aledo.

Eagle 1
06-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Gary Proffitt, I believe, And yes he has my vote!
:clap:

He has my vote too. Gary can do more with less better than any other coach I have seen. Besides that he know's the X's and O's of football. If you have been to one of his booster club meetings then you will know what I am talking about.

Not to change the subject, but I think most coaches now days run the spread offense because it's easier to teach than a hard nose rushing attack. IMO it's easier to teach a lineman how to pass block than it is to teach them how to run block. Pass blocking requires less technique than run blocking.
With a good running game you have to have running backs who can block too. Anyway, just my opinion.

Bullaholic
06-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
He has my vote too. Gary can do more with less better than any other coach I have seen. Besides that he know's the X's and O's of football. If you have been to one of his booster club meetings then you will know what I am talking about.

Not to change the subject, but I think most coaches now days run the spread offense because it's easier to teach than a hard nose rushing attack. IMO it's easier to teach a lineman how to pass block than it is to teach them how to run block. Pass blocking requires less technique than run blocking.
With a good running game you have to have running backs who can block too. Anyway, just my opinion.

Can't wait for "The Spread Offense by Rocket- 2012 Epistle Edition", Eagle 1...:D

AP Panther Fan
06-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Funny, I just watched this (http://www.kristv.com/news/calallen-is-home-to-the-state-s-most-prolific-coaching-tandem/) on the news this morning.

bobcat1
06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Denney Faith Albany
Gary Proffitt Goldthwaite
Butch Ford Celina
GA Moore Aubrey
Gary Surratt Carthage
Bill Green Windthorst

Ernest T Bass
06-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Spread offense makes it much tougher to coach QBs and WRs, though.

Txbroadcaster
06-01-2011, 11:57 AM
I disagree about easier to teach OL to pass block..u have so many variations of where they need to block depending on what the LB does, the DE does, if a CB is blitzig and so on. It is not just line up and block guy in front of you with pass blocking

plus the technique to pass block is not what a big strong kid is used to..Easy to teach them to fire off the ball and use their strength..pass block is about perfect feet and shoulders..taking a shot and being able to absorb and stay upright and in front of defensive guy.

Ernest T Bass
06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I disagree about easier to teach OL to pass block..u have so many variations of where they need to block depending on what the LB does, the DE does, if a CB is blitzig and so on. It is not just line up and block guy in front of you with pass blocking

plus the technique to pass block is not what a big strong kid is used to..Easy to teach them to fire off the ball and use their strength..pass block is about perfect feet and shoulders..taking a shot and being able to absorb and stay upright and in front of defensive guy.

It's easier to perform the blocks. The biggest draw to going to a spread offense is that the blocks don't have to be perfect, whereas in a non-zone, run-oriented offense they pretty much do. But, while the margin for error on the OL increases, it decreases greatly at the skill positions.
It's just a matter of what you know. I'd be willing to bet that Proffit would feel like a rookie coach if he was suddenly in a spread offense.

Txbroadcaster
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
It's easier to perform the blocks. The biggest draw to going to a spread offense is that the blocks don't have to be perfect, whereas in a non-zone, run-oriented offense they pretty much do. But, while the margin for error on the OL increases, it decreases greatly at the skill positions.
It's just a matter of what you know. I'd be willing to bet that Proffit would feel like a rookie coach if he was suddenly in a spread offense.

i agree.I guess my view is..takes a more cerebral player to be good at pass blocking..if they cant read the D and see who is coming and what gap they cant pass block

Eagle 1
06-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Actually we run the spread a lot. I wouldn't go as far to say he would feel like a rookie coach. I agree about the skill postions point of view, which is why I say it's easier. It's lot easier to coach the skill positions than the lineman. See my point?

Eagle 1
06-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Denney Faith Albany
Gary Proffitt Goldthwaite
Butch Ford Celina
GA Moore Aubrey
Gary Surratt Carthage
Bill Green Windthorst

Thats a good list. One more to add is Rusty Nail from Mart.

runtowin
06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
What makes these coaches "good"? Are y'all basing on success (records and championships) or on getting the most out of what they have?

RoyceTTU
06-01-2011, 01:12 PM
One more to add is Rusty Nail from Mart.

Is that his real name :confused: That's awesome

bobcat1
06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Thats a good list. One more to add is Rusty Nail from Mart. I nearly wrote him down. He is a good coach too. And yes Royce, That is his name.

Eagle 1
06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by runtowin
What makes these coaches "good"? Are y'all basing on success (records and championships) or on getting the most out of what they have?

Both.

Ernest T Bass
06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
It's lot easier to coach the skill positions than the lineman.

Who told you that lie?