PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With UT?

Bullaholic
05-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Next to TCU, I support UT, but maybe some of the UT faithfull can tell me what is going on with the Longhorn's athletics. The Longhorns have been strangely absent from the top in all of the major sports of late----what gives?

Txbroadcaster
05-27-2011, 10:56 AM
It is not like UT sports have fallen off the map..they are going thru a cycle..and even in a "down yea" most of their teams have still been good

RoyceTTU
05-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Next to TCU, I support UT, but maybe some of the UT faithfull can tell me what is going on with the Longhorn's athletics. The Longhorns have been strangely absent from the top in all of the major sports of late----what gives?

I think you can't underestimate how much Cleve Bryant meant to Mack Brown. I know that's only football but like most schools, Football sets the tone early. There was alot of stuff good/bad behind the scenes that Cleve took care of.

Bullaholic
05-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is not like UT sports have fallen off the map..they are going thru a cycle..and even in a "down yea" most of their teams have still been good

I can't remember a year in the last 10 or so that UT didn't have a NC or Top-5 team in at least 1 major sport at the end of a season.

NastySlot
05-27-2011, 01:04 PM
I can't remember a year in the last 10 or so that UT didn't have a NC or Top-5 team in at least 1 major sport at the end of a season.

imo baseball is has top 5 team...haven't seen rankings lately...but they have really good pitching staff.

Old Tiger
05-27-2011, 01:17 PM
softball was a top 3 seed - played like crap in regional

basketball has rick barnes so they will suck come tourney time

baseball is baseball and will likely have a top 8 seed

football 1 down year in 10+ years

mens track is ranked #8

womens basketball ball is womens basketball so I don't give a crap

volleyball has been good

mens swimming is 4th in the country

womens swimming is 4th as well

IMO Texas needs a new softball coach and mens/womens basketball coach.

Roughneck93
05-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
softball was a top 3 seed - played like crap in regional

basketball has rick barnes so they will suck come tourney time

baseball is baseball and will likely have a top 8 seed

football 1 down year in 10+ years

mens track is ranked #8

womens basketball ball is womens basketball so I don't give a crap

volleyball has been good

mens swimming is 4th in the country

womens swimming is 4th as well

IMO Texas needs a new softball coach and mens/womens basketball coach.

:iagree: Especially softball. Two years in a row that UT softball has hosted a Regional and NOT make it to atleast the championship game!

eagles_victory
05-27-2011, 02:08 PM
I can't remember a year in the last 10 or so that UT didn't have a NC or Top-5 team in at least 1 major sport at the end of a season. No excuses but honestly mens basketball caught some real bad breaks this year. First, they were vastly underseeded as a 4, and kind of got a raw deal on the call at the end of the Arizona game. Also, having Rick Barnes as your coach is a complete raw deal in itself.

LionKing
05-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
No excuses but honestly mens basketball caught some real bad breaks this year. First, they were vastly underseeded as a 4, and kind of got a raw deal on the call at the end of the Arizona game. Also, having Rick Barnes as your coach is a complete raw deal in itself. I agree, recruiting these one-and-done to the NBA top recruit players doesn't help basketball continunty either.

zebrablue2
05-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
I agree, recruiting these one-and-done to the NBA top recruit players doesn't help basketball continunty either.

:iagree:

eagles_victory
05-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
:iagree: Thing is you can't not recruit the top players in the country. Look at Memphis and Kentucky under John Calipera sp? He basically has all 1 and dones. With Rose they went to the championship. Evans sweet 16. John Wall elite 8. Brandon Knight final 4. It isn't about the one and dones a lot of schools deal with that it is knowing how to coach in the tournament which Ricky can't do.

Reds fan
05-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Roughneck93
:iagree: Especially softball. Two years in a row that UT softball has hosted a Regional and NOT make it to atleast the championship game! I won't speak toward the other sports, but I can't agree more that Clark needs to go. This has been bantered about among the top travel ball coaches for a few years now. Perfect example, facing elimination she starts a freshman at pitcher that only had pitched a few Big 12 innings??? What was the result? Elimination....

DavidWooderson
05-28-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't know how they're down? it was a down year in football yes, but nothing else.

Volleyball team played for the National Championship and finished 2nd, golf team is at Nationals, Men's swimming finished #2 in the Nation, baseball team is alive and well in the Big 12 tourny, girls got knocked out of the regionals in softball.