PDA

View Full Version : American Idol

AP Panther Fan
05-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I hate to say it, but Lauren wins.

Her performances were far better than Scotty's last night AND she got two out of three outfits right.

Ranger Mom
05-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I hate to say it, but Lauren wins.

Her performances were far better than Scotty's last night AND she got two out of three outfits right.

I hope she wins myself....I just don't know if she can overcome the "tweens" vote!!

AP Panther Fan
05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I hope she wins myself....I just don't know if she can overcome the "tweens" vote!!

She seems to have a pretty good following too. Did you like her gold dress? The only one I didn't like was the last white one. It wasn't very flattering.

Ranger Mom
05-25-2011, 10:08 AM
She seems to have a pretty good following too. Did you like her gold dress? The only one I didn't like was the last white one. It wasn't very flattering.

Honestly, I didn't really pay any attention. With all the wind and fire out here, the station was kind of distorted and snowy. Plus....I was feeding my month old granddaughter, so I was looking at her more than the TV.

Macarthur
05-25-2011, 11:16 AM
The only way for the show to salvage any sort of respectablity from an artistic standpoint, IMO, is for Lauren to win.

The last several episodes have been like a bad Hee Haw.

I'm sorry, but Scotty is very average. I just don't get it. YOu could walk the streets of Nashville and find a dozen guys better than him in half a day.

This has easily been worst group of talent the show has ever had. I think with Simon's show starting up this summer, Idol may be in some trouble moving forward.

bobcat1
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I hope she wins myself....I just don't know if she can overcome the "tweens" vote!! She won't. Scotty will get twice as many votes from the young girls. I know 1 young girl that voted 100 votes for him. Sad. I miss Haley already. Lauren did a great job though. Problem with both of them in my eyes is neither are unique. Haley and James Durbin were as well as Casey.

Ranger Mom
05-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
The only way for the show to salvage any sort of respectablity from an artistic standpoint, IMO, is for Lauren to win.

The last several episodes have been like a bad Hee Haw.

I'm sorry, but Scotty is very average. I just don't get it. YOu could walk the streets of Nashville and find a dozen guys better than him in half a day.

This has easily been worst group of talent the show has ever had. I think with Simon's show starting up this summer, Idol may be in some trouble moving forward.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I thought this was one of the most talented groups they have had.

Were Scotty and/or Lauren the MOST talented of the top 13?? No, but they were ALL talented, IMO!!

But....I am sure PPHSfan will be along shortly to tell me why I am wrong....(not that I will believe him!! :D )

AP Panther Fan
05-25-2011, 11:22 AM

I don't know... David Cook's performance last night was not that great. Most of the old show winners have kind of dropped off the radar screen.

I do agree that Simon's new show should be good.

Txbroadcaster
05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
As far as talent I thought this was a strong top 13..problem was the best ones were voted off before the final two..even Pia who I still dont get why everyone thought she was sooo amazing and beautiful is far and away better then Scotty or Lauren IMO

Macarthur
05-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Let me clarify. I do think, as a group, the top 10 or so were decent. There weren't any that were bad, which has been the case in years past.

However, once you get past the fact that they were all pretty good, there is not a single one that has any wow factor.

David Cook wasn't very good. And that's why the show has been sagging for years. Their viewership actually went up a little this year. I think a good deal of that was the curiosity of the new judges.

I get that musical taste is subjective and while I don't like contemporary country, I do like good country music. I just find him very limited. He did not once stretch his boundaries in a succesful manner. On the very rare occasion he stepped out of his element, he was very limited - The Carole King week comes to mind.

I have no problem with a 'one trick pony' winning it if they are incredible at that one trick. Does anyone really invision Scotty being a force in contemporary country music?

AP Panther Fan
05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Does anyone really invision Scotty being a force in contemporary country music?

I think it is possible. He is young and has alot to learn, but so did Garth Brooks, Toby Keith and many others when they started. All I am saying is that it is possible and depends entirely on him.

Ranger Mom
05-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I think it is possible. He is young and has alot to learn, but so did Garth Brooks, Toby Keith and many others when they started. All I am saying is that it is possible and depends entirely on him.

I agree! There are a few country idols in the past that have had some success.....Bucky Covington, Josh Gracin, Kellie Pickler, to name a few. I think Scotty and Lauren are way better than any of those I named....but I also like the contemporary country music myself!!!!

Macarthur
05-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Not to derail the tread, but I think this is an interesting point you make. See, I don't think it has much to do with Scotty.

I think it has much more to do with the recording industry and how it's in cahoots with country radio. If they record and push a song of his, they will push it to contry radio and it will be a hit. Plain and simple.

Country music is somewhat different than the other genres. What is deemed a country hit is much more 'manufactured' than any other genre.

hollywood
05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
She won't. Scotty will get twice as many votes from the young girls. I know 1 young girl that voted 100 votes for him. Sad. I miss Haley already. Lauren did a great job though. Problem with both of them in my eyes is neither are unique. Haley and James Durbin were as well as Casey.

Agreed.:thumbsup: Haley is far more talented than Lauren or Scotty.

hollywood
05-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Not to derail the tread, but I think this is an interesting point you make. See, I don't think it has much to do with Scotty.

I think it has much more to do with the recording industry and how it's in cahoots with country radio. If they record and push a song of his, they will push it to contry radio and it will be a hit. Plain and simple.

Country music is somewhat different than the other genres. What is deemed a country hit is much more 'manufactured' than any other genre. :clap: Right on!

Macarthur
05-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Here's a couple of pieces that I think state it well:

http://blogcritics.org/music/article/invasion-of-the-music-snatchers-mainstream/

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/04/19/hollywoods-make-country-music-mainstream-damaging-genre/

http://www.swingmusic.net/WHAT.html

There's a line in a George Strait song "...they got away with murder down on music row..."

AP Panther Fan
05-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Country music is somewhat different than the other genres. What is deemed a country hit is much more 'manufactured' than any other genre.

Possibly. On two different occassions (that I can remember) our local festival (Shrimporee) had up and coming talent in their entertainment line-up. One was Brad Paisley and the other, Miranda Lambert. My point being, none of us had ever really heard of them at the time, but the booking agent assured us they were on their way up....and he was right.

I haven't read the links you just posted, but will.

eagles_victory
05-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Carrie Underwood just looked amazing.

eagleqb_14
05-25-2011, 09:14 PM
scotty!

44INAROW
05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
Agreed.:thumbsup: Haley is far more talented than Lauren or Scotty. :clap:

I did think the show was good tonight......... loved James rocking with Judas Priest.. but damn, that song Beyonce' sang eeewwww

coach
05-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Sucks and it's fake and set up. Close thread

eagles_victory
05-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by coach
Sucks and it's fake and set up. Close thread x2

PPHSfan
05-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by coach
Sucks and it's fake and set up. Close thread

+10

This would not have happened if Simon were here. He would not have kissed these kids asses.

forum_guy
05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
+10

+11

The show is a joke. The 2 finalists belonged on a CMT Idol or something not American Idol.

Ranger Mom
05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
I Fast forwarded through 3/4 of the show, but my favorite performance of the night was James with Judas Priest!!

AP Panther Fan
05-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
:clap:

I did think the show was good tonight......... loved James rocking with Judas Priest.. but damn, that song Beyonce' sang eeewwww

I didn't like that song either....and it is her favorite. I liked the song that Tim McGraw did with Scotty as well as the Carrie Underwood song. How about JLo dancing that salsa (I guess it was a salsa) with husband, Marc Anthony?

Lauren had another fashion nightmare with the yellow dress. Funny, how she either made very good choices or very bad ones.

Ranger Mom
05-26-2011, 10:45 AM
I didn't like that song either....and it is her favorite. I liked the song that Tim McGraw did with Scotty as well as the Carrie Underwood song. How about JLo dancing that salsa (I guess it was a salsa) with husband, Marc Anthony?

Lauren had another fashion nightmare with the yellow dress. Funny, how she either made very good choices or very bad ones.

I know in past seasons, they pretty much had someone dressing them!! I remember Carrie Underwood saying she really didn't care for one of the outfits that she wore that "wardrobe" had picked out for her.