PDA

View Full Version : Car problem

bwdlionfan
05-25-2011, 01:03 AM
I've got a 2000 Mustang that is having problem with the blinkers. Both my left and right blinker will flash a few times before stopping and staying solid lit. This tends to happen more often in warm weather. The problem started last summer, and this would happen quite frequently. As winter came along, this problem rarely occurred. Now that it's warm again, it's happening all the time, but the hazards work fine. I thought it might be a relay problem, so I swapped the relay under the hood with the relay for the hazard lights since they are the same size. Upon doing this, the hazards kept working fine, but the blinkers still would freeze after only flashing a few times. This afternoon after driving home from work, I turned the car off in the garage, and both blinkers worked fine. I let them blink for several minutes and they never froze. I then started the car, and the blinkers only flashed a few times before they froze. Again, the hazard lights work fine. Any suggestions as to what would cause the blinkers to freeze whenever the engine is warm?
Is there something other than that one relay that controls their flashing? I know it has nothing to do with the bulbs since the hazards work fine.

SWMustang
05-25-2011, 07:35 AM
could be low on blinker switch fluid :)

I would think it's something to do with the actual switch on the steering column not working right.

LionFan72
05-25-2011, 10:01 AM
You are driving a Ford, what else needs to be said.:D :D

bwdlionfan
05-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I finally found where the flasher is located, thanks to the internet. Ran to Autozone and replaced it, works great now.

Nothing in my manual shows where the flasher is... only thing is shows for the turn signals/hazards are two relays... and those were both okay.

LIONS#1
05-25-2011, 11:57 AM
At least you are driving a non-government issued automobile!!! I will never buy a GM product again!!

bwdlionfan
05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by LIONS#1
At least you are driving a non-government issued automobile!!! I will never buy a GM product again!!

Been driving this car since my junior year of high school, just a couple thousand miles shy of 200,000 miles. It was brand new when I got it... had 8 miles on it!

LionFan72
05-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Glad you found the problem, electrical issues become a headache! and by the way, I worked for Ford for 3 years, just pulling your chain!:cool: :cool: :p