PDA

View Full Version : Walgreens & Coupons (true story)

PPHSfan
05-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Ok, so my sister in law calls me and tells me she's been watching this show "Extreme Couponing" and she wants me to try something.

I'm guessing she's afraid of failure, and knows that failure doesn't frighten me at all.

So she tells me to buy Two Sunday Papers this weekend and cut out the Axe Products buy one get one free coupon. (the coupon lists four different axe products on each coupon).

Here's the rub. Walgreens will let you use one coupon per item you put on the counter, no limit.

So I grab all four items on the coupon times two, and stroll up to the counter.

I hand the girl the basket and she rings up forty bucks worth of deodorant and such.

I hand her my Two Coupons, she scans them and hands me a gift card for $3.25 to cover the tax that she can't refund me.

That's right. Walgeeens paid me three bucks and some change, to carry forty bucks worth of Axe stuff out the door.

Freaking Insane!

CHS_CG
05-23-2011, 10:30 PM
My supervisor at work does that stuff.. Kroger is good too because they double and triple coupons. They paid her 5 bucks to walk out the other night with about 60 bucks worth of stuff.

sahen
05-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
My supervisor at work does that stuff.. Kroger is good too because they double and triple coupons. They paid her 5 bucks to walk out the other night with about 60 bucks worth of stuff.

definitely a YMMV thing....Krogers where I live won't double or triple any coupons...actually none of the 5 or 6 grocery stores here will, its a conspiracy!

FB-fanatic
05-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I'm guessing she's afraid of failure, and knows that failure doesn't frighten me at all.

Too funny... years of practice, eh..

PPHSfan
05-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by FB-fanatic
Too funny... years of practice, eh..

Absolutely. You gotta break a bunch of eggs to make an omelet.

turbostud
05-23-2011, 11:31 PM
I watched that show the other day and this lady bought over $400 worth of groceries and paid $9.37 at the register.

Gsquared
05-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Ok, so my sister in law calls me and tells me she's been watching this show "Extreme Couponing" and she wants me to try something.

So she tells me to buy Two Sunday Papers this weekend and cut out the Axe Products buy one get one free coupon. (the coupon lists four different axe products on each coupon).

Here's the rub. Walgreens will let you use one coupon per item you put on the counter, no limit.

I hand the girl the basket and she rings up forty bucks worth of deodorant and such.

I hand her my Two Coupons, she scans them and hands me a gift card for $3.25 to cover the tax that she can't refund me.

That's right. Walgeeens paid me three bucks and some change, to carry forty bucks worth of Axe stuff out the door.

Freaking Insane!
Dang, what are you gonna do with all that deodorant? If I had all that id get drunk and wonder the neighborhood streets and put deodorant under the arms of every cat I see.

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Dang, what are you gonna do with all that deodorant? If I had all that id get drunk and wonder the neighborhood streets and put deodorant under the arms of every cat I see.

Awesome idea. I will sack it up along with some Vienna Sausages and come over tonight.

Gsquared
05-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Awesome idea. I will sack it up along with some Vienna Sausages and come over tonight.
Oh man, delete this before ETB sees it. He goes ape s over Vienna Sausage

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Oh man, delete this before ETB sees it. He goes ape s over Vienna Sausage

I know. Last time I had some he hollered like a school girl "are those monkey dicks?" and then he chased me around the swimming pool trying to take them from me.

Gsquared
05-24-2011, 07:42 AM
I know. Last time I had some he hollered like a school girl "are those monkey dicks?" and then he chased me around the swimming pool trying to take them from me.
Can take that boy anywhere!

trojandad
05-24-2011, 07:53 AM

Freaking Insane!

just found where they made up the difference.....i got a prescription filled there......:mad:

WildTexan972
05-24-2011, 10:19 AM
if the coupon says "Buy 1 get 1 Free" then how do you not at least have to PAY for the ones you are BUYING and not getting free?

that is where this whole coupon scam fails...it is a computer glitch and will be fixed.....AND as all these homely hags keep rippin off the stores, they will keep raises prices to make that profit up on the rest of us....

I say take out those couponing hags as a danger to our American way of life....

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
if the coupon says "Buy 1 get 1 Free" then how do you not at least have to PAY for the ones you are BUYING and not getting free?

that is where this whole coupon scam fails...it is a computer glitch and will be fixed.....AND as all these homely hags keep rippin off the stores, they will keep raises prices to make that profit up on the rest of us....

I say take out those couponing hags as a danger to our American way of life....

You're just angry because like everything in life, the smarter consumer pays less. And this time the smarter consumers just happen to be old ladies with scissors.

Blastoderm55
05-24-2011, 10:41 AM
One of the extreme couponers on TV scored like 70 bottles of mustard. Its cool that it could be done, but seriously? 70 bottles of mustard? A lot of the people featured are just sick hoarders. One guy though, put his couponing to good use and used his proceeds to build gift baskets for soldiers overseas.

BaseballUmp
05-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
One of the extreme couponers on TV scored like 70 bottles of mustard. Its cool that it could be done, but seriously? 70 bottles of mustard? A lot of the people featured are just sick hoarders. One guy though, put his couponing to good use and used his proceeds to build gift baskets for soldiers overseas.

Yea but he still had 1000 tubes of toothpaste in his "toothpaste room"

I can understand a few of the families because they have 5-10 kids but some of them should just stop

BwdLion73
05-24-2011, 02:11 PM
You're just angry because like everything in life, the smarter consumer pays less. And this time the smarter consumers just happen to be old ladies with scissors.

:thinking: :fnypost:

Blastoderm55
05-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Yea but he still had 1000 tubes of toothpaste in his "toothpaste room"

I can understand a few of the families because they have 5-10 kids but some of them should just stop

One family had TP under the kids' beds and canned foods in the amster bedroom. Ridiculous.

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 03:15 PM
If you've ever had to roll pennies to buy food or toilet paper, you wouldn't be so quick to judge.

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Who would you rather see in line at the grocery store, the coupon hag buying tuna for ten cents a can, or the welfare recipient buying coca cola and doritos with food stamps?

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 03:23 PM
A person who has gone hungry in their life will stack canned food in the bedroom. A "hoarder" keeps toenail clippings in a shoe box.

Blastoderm55
05-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Who would you rather see in line at the grocery store, the coupon hag buying tuna for ten cents a can, or the welfare recipient buying coca cola and doritos with food stamps?

I'd prefer to see the welfare recipient using coupons to stretch those gubment dollars as far as possible. But, as you pointed out, its more often spent on fully-priced, name-brand items. I've personally got nothing against coupons, I use them all the time. But as mentioned in another post, the abuses these people engage in will only lead to higher prices for everyone else and the elimination of coupons and comparable incentives. Can't fault them for taking advantage while they can, though.

Blastoderm55
05-24-2011, 03:31 PM
A person who has gone hungry in their life will stack canned food in the bedroom. A "hoarder" keeps toenail clippings in a shoe box.

I thought everyone kept toenail clippings in a show box. :thinking: I feel really uncomfortable all of a sudden.

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I thought everyone kept toenail clippings in a show box. :thinking: I feel really uncomfortable all of a sudden.

I just spat full priced Dr Pepper all over my iPhone.

garciap77
05-24-2011, 03:51 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

AP Panther Fan
05-24-2011, 03:54 PM
If you've ever had to roll pennies to buy food or toilet paper, you wouldn't be so quick to judge.

I agree.

Every time I watch that show I wonder why homeless shelters and soup kitchens do not have the shelves upon shelves of free stuff. Makes me wish the "old ladies with scissors" would think of those less fortunate or the volunteers at these places would get busy.

SintonFan
05-24-2011, 08:32 PM

Freaking Insane!

So did you use the "free" as a "buy one" after the "buy one"? If you could do that then you could own the company...
I'd prefer to own Walgreens over CVS.:nerd:

Do you like Axe products? Do they work?

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
So did you use the "free" as a "buy one" after the "buy one"? If you could do that then you could own the company...
I'd prefer to own Walgreens over CVS.:nerd:

Do you like Axe products? Do they work?

Yes. I didn't spend a nickel. My sister in law went in today after my test run, with coupons in hand. She took walgreens for ninety bucks worth of stuff she uses and spent ninety three cents.

I'm not bullshittin ya.

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 10:26 PM
.......Do you like Axe products? Do they work?

It's deodorant and soap.

What's not gonna work?:D

SintonFan
05-24-2011, 10:58 PM
It's deodorant and soap.

What's not gonna work?:D

Just curious. Seems like the commercials are aimed for 12 year olds.:nerd: :p

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Just curious. Seems like the commercials are aimed for 12 year olds.:nerd: :p

I don't pay attention to soap commercials.

I just like to use the stuff when I shower.

SintonFan
05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't pay attention to soap commercials.

I just like to use the stuff when I shower.

I guess I better use some of the shampoo I received in my stocking.:eek:
Will woman attack me if I use it?:D

*shocked you haven't seen the commercials, They are EVERYWHERE*:eek:

PPHSfan
05-24-2011, 11:51 PM
I chose Axe because that's what the coupon was for. Had the coupon said Dial would we be having this conversation?

SintonFan
05-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Not likely.

You bought French/Danish soap.
Read Here. (http://answers.ask.com/Health/Other/who_makes_axe_body_spray)

I am glad you did get it for free.:clap: