PDA

View Full Version : explain to me

ladydawg03
11-10-2002, 01:25 PM
On the Collier-sharp rankings, how could or how is Marlin ranked above Burnet when Burnet beat them? Not tryin to argue or anything, just what kind of formula or whatever would make that happen?

bulldog65
11-10-2002, 01:41 PM
Each week the rankings are updated, week 10 has Burnet #1. Click on this link for Collier-Sharp week 10. Week 10 (http://www.collier-sharp.com/rnov83.html) Hope this helps.

<small>[ November 10, 2002, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: bulldog65 ]</small>

mwynn05
11-10-2002, 02:47 PM
well crockett and teague are ahead of us we beat both of them teague has 3 more losses than ys and crockett didnt even make the playoffs

ladydawg03
11-10-2002, 04:17 PM
How does that work? If you beat someone you'd think that you'd have a higher ranking then them.

Pudlugger
11-10-2002, 05:09 PM
ladydawg03:
On the Collier-sharp rankings, how could or how is Marlin ranked above Burnet when Burnet beat them? Not tryin to argue or anything, just what kind of formula or whatever would make that happen?It's VooDoo mathematics. They have a "Power rating" based on a team's won/loss, points for/against, score relative to the spread, relative power ratings of opponents etc. Therefore the numbers lose sight of weather a team actually wins or loses, it can go up by losing to a good team and go down by winning over a mediocre or weak team. La Grange was winning all year and kept falling in the Data Poll because of this silliness. When Marlin beat Ennis they got so many power rating points that they have more than Burnet even though Burnet beat them so they got a higher ranking. Garbage in, garbage out as computer geeks would say. Just be satisfied knowing that anybody who follows Texas High School football knows Burnet is a top team, 1st, second or third in various polls aint so bad. eek! :)

ladydawg03
11-10-2002, 05:34 PM
Please do not think that I am complaining about where we are in the rankings. I am just a girl and I don't understand all that football nonsense when it comes to calculating ranks and all that. I was hopeing someone could explain to me. Thanks you helped alot.