PDA

View Full Version : Groceries

Bullaholic
05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't know how poor folks afford to eat anymore. The cost of groceries has seemed to have taken off in the last year. I went to Sam's last week and you had to look hard to find a package of meat for less than $25.00---now that was a pretty good size package, but some of them for the prime cuts of meat ran $40-$50. Ground meat was at least $12-$14, and tomatos were outrageous. My wife does most of the regular grocery shopping, and I get all the BBQ stuff. Still, I get to see the bills--and they ain't getting smaller by a long shot.

pirate4state
05-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I hear you. It is so depressing that everything keeps going up except my darn paycheck!!! :weeping:

BEAST
05-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I don't know how poor folks afford to eat anymore. The cost of groceries has seemed to have taken off in the last year. I went to Sam's last week and you had to look hard to find a package of meat for less than $25.00---now that was a pretty good size package, but some of them for the prime cuts of meat ran $40-$50. Ground meat was at least $12-$14, and tomatos were outrageous. My wife does most of the regular grocery shopping, and I get all the BBQ stuff. Still, I get to see the bills--and they ain't getting smaller by a long shot.

You got that right. Nothing is. A few years ago a big bill of groceries at Wally World would cost us around $200, now it $300+.

BEAST

GrTigers6
05-20-2011, 11:56 AM
I went to walmart yesterday and had 12 items, Bill was 95 dollars
Items were laundry soap, body wash, bread, chicken breasts, diet pills, ( for my wife), and misc stuff
I about had a stroke:D

AP Panther Fan
05-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I hear you. It is so depressing that everything keeps going up except my darn paycheck!!! :weeping:

I hear you...even the number of hours I put in to get my same paycheck has increased.

Oh...and I hate the grocery store period. Ranks up there with paying insurance and taxes.

Blastoderm55
05-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Thank goodness for HEB and yellow coupons.

Roughneck93
05-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Thank goodness for HEB and yellow coupons.

Pound for pound....HEB will save you the most money.

Phil C
05-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Roughneck93
Pound for pound....HEB will save you the most money.

Our HEB went up 50% on some meat a few years ago and blamed high gasoline prices for the increases. The only thing was that when gasoline prices went back to what they were they didn't decrease the prices on their meat. :(

BILLYFRED0000
05-20-2011, 03:49 PM
My Wife and I came up with a solution. Go on a diet. Quit feeding your kids. Sell your livestock.

waterboy
05-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
My Wife and I came up with a solution. Go on a diet. Quit feeding your kids. Sell your livestock.
Why not just butcher a cow and a hog? You'll have enough meat to not have to buy any for a while.... You could even have a garden to grow the vegetables....:thinking:

Dang, I wish I was a rancher......:(

Ranger Mom
05-20-2011, 03:58 PM
My oven went out and we decided to replace it with a stainless steel one....only the one I want cost quite a bit, so I am gonna save up the money for it rather than charge it.

So....right now I don't have to bake or cook anything!! If hubby can grill it, fry it in the fry-daddy or microwave it, he's happy!!!

Our grocery bill has gone down because of that!!

TheDOCTORdre
05-20-2011, 04:01 PM
This has helped my wife and I out alot in our 1+ year of marriage, Angel Food Ministries (http://www.angelfoodministries.com/) Pretty good amount of food for your buck.

nt7on7
05-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Aldi. If you can get to one, go. Saves us hundred of dollars a month.

Then, we buy our meat at whatever store has a loss leader sale that week.

Filled up two baskets at Aldi. Spent $227. Most I have ever spent at that store. Canned food, milk, staples, cereal, eggs, etc., is 30-50% less than other stores, and the quality is exceptional.

Roughneck93
05-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Our HEB went up 50% on some meat a few years ago and blamed high gasoline prices for the increases. The only thing was that when gasoline prices went back to what they were they didn't decrease the prices on their meat. :(

Yes sir. Cost of feed for these animals has gone up. That's way you see those high meat prices.

Phil C
05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Joke

A man calls the police saying someone has broken into his car and stolen %50.00 worth of groceries. He tells the officer he went into the post office for just a minute and when he got back the groceries were gone.

The officer comes and while making out the report asks the man "Did you lock your car up?"

"Well no" the man replies.

"That was asking for trouble" says the policeman. "Why didn't you lock the car up."

The man aswered "I didn't think they would look in the glove compartment."

:D