PDA

View Full Version : Knees

Bullaholic
05-20-2011, 10:33 AM
How many of you have bad knees? I have "Arthur-rightus" and "Arthur-leftus" and am looking at double knee replacement in about a year. Walking anywhere is a real challenge---and especially stairs and uneven ground.

"If any of you S__'s call me "grandpa", I'll kill ya."
--Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumley

GrTigers6
05-20-2011, 10:37 AM
My dad has his knees replaced at 58, a partial, but he couldnt hardly walk and he wasnt ove weight jut had bad arthritis, which made him walk funny and wore out his knees. He is fine know walks several miles every day, can take stairs instead of elevators. He has lost about 25 lbs and is in great shape now.

Txbroadcaster
05-20-2011, 10:39 AM
I have had 13 procedures done to my knees including 3 major operations...I am 35 and told basically by time I am 45 I am prob going to need a right knee replacement

Roughneck93
05-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I ripped up my meniscus last summer. Just wear and tear from running so much. Took me about six months to fully recover enough to continue at the pace I was on. Knees are so fragile, doesn't take much.

Reds fan
05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Mine ok so far , but dang, a lot can sure go wrong with them!

95mustang
05-20-2011, 11:27 AM
My dad has had both of his replaced. He works in the oilfield everyday with no problems. He also plays softball pretty regularly since they have been replaced which is something he was unable to do for the 5 years prior to them being fixed.

Bullaholic
05-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
My dad has had both of his replaced. He works in the oilfield everyday with no problems. He also plays softball pretty regularly since they have been replaced which is something he was unable to do for the 5 years prior to them being fixed.

:thumbsup: Now that's the kind of thing I like to hear.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-20-2011, 11:46 AM
I got arthritis in my left, along with my right ankle, at the ripe old age of 23. Let me tell you that suuuuuuuucked. Literally took me about 4 years of shots and quarterly blood tests for it to go away. I'm one of the lucky few that the type of arthritis can leave, but it could come back at any point. Running is one of the worst things I can do to it, so I've been doing cycling later to try and stay in shape.

Wish there was some piece of advice I could give to keep others from going through it, but it literally was a combination of things, and sometimes it just happens.

AAA87
05-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I have it in both knees in a bad way.Played and practiced on that hard turf at Baylor too long....have had 5 scopings and have no cartilage left...bone on bone rubbing and being an o lineman my whole life hasnt helped. Have lost 40 lbs since 2adays started and that has helped but I used to get shots in CC from a Dr. who moved to SA. Now seeing Dr in Victoria and he wont scope and clean again but did give me the shot again and it is GREAT...Inviscus...used to be called rooster Comb according to Dr Heckman in CC......Try that, natural lubrication and feels great and regular draining helps....Says can get another shot every 6 to 9 months!!! I have been wade fishing and hunting and Little League and still doing athletic period daily and feel 100% better than this past football season!!!!

nobogey72
05-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I have had 13 procedures done to my knees including 3 major operations...I am 35 and told basically by time I am 45 I am prob going to need a right knee replacement

TXB-- Don't listen to 'em. I had TOTAL reconstruction in 1971 (back when they took most or all of the cartilage out cause they didn't know any better). They started telling me that I would be lucky to make it to 40 without replacement. I'm 58 and don't have any significant pain yet. I've always done alot of preventative stuff to help put it off as long as possible. Definitely not looking forward to it, but it seems that they keep getting better and better at the procedure.

Farmersfan
05-20-2011, 01:52 PM
I've never had any problems with my knees but I do have very weak ankles. I twisted them so much playing ball that now at times I can step on a very small rock the wrong way and i go down in a heap. Of course it doesn't help that I'm now 50lbs overwieght either.