PDA

View Full Version : 1 State Champ for each classification?

cunbed10
01-07-2003, 08:24 AM
I think that if the distritct champ from each district has a bye week, and then like the NFL playoff system we could have 1 State Champ from each classifcation. 3A downlow how about it.

Jacket2000
01-07-2003, 09:16 AM
I dont like it. In HS, a bye week tends to hurt a team more than help it. It can really be a momentum killer. Also, that would extend the playoffs well past Christmas, which would cause all kindsa problems.
J2K

PPHSfan
01-07-2003, 10:23 AM
I don't think the problem is the two classification championships. I think the problem lies in how we get the D1 vs D2 brackets. After the final 96 teams are selected, there needs to be some kind of soulution ( I admit I have not come up with it yet ) that actually pairs the 32 largest schools of the final 96 in the D1 bracket, with the remaining 64 teams in D2. There has got to be a better way, I just don't know what it is.

Phil C
01-07-2003, 11:59 AM
I can see Cun's point but there is no easy or simple solution. You could eliminate having games extend to Christmas with Cun's idea by having the season start one week earlier or maybe eliminating the bye week but I don't know which one would be better because then one could argue about the Texas summer heat or the disadvantages of not having a bye week. Sinton was district champs and I don't think having a bye week for the first playoff games like Cun suggested would have hurt us especially since it could have given us a reward for winning the district and given us a week off for our injured players to have more time to heal. But I would hate to go back like it was 25 years ago where only one team per district was in. If it were then Everman and Bandera would not have been State Champs this year because they wouldn't have been in the playoffs.

Jacket2000
01-07-2003, 01:33 PM
Y'all a solution? I have one! You make more classifications. Hell, every other state does it, it's about time we did it too. Here's how it works:
Each class has 32, 7 team districts(I believe this would come out to 7a)and the top two teams make the playoffs. This way, you have only one champion, you have an equal number of teams in each district(no more 10 and 4 team districts), the rest of the playoff system is already in place.
This will work all the way down to 2A. In 1A it gets kinda sticky b/c it's split into 11man and 6man, but hell, they already have only one champion. So, if it ain't broke, dont fix it!
J2K

cunbed10
01-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Hey! guys and gals this all sounds good to me, especially the 7A theme we are a pretty big state, and if Oklahoma has 6A we should easily have 7A. This would settle all of the hype about which team is really state champs, I believe the college ranks are getting ready for a play-off system here within the next 3 years.

Old Cardinal
01-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Our system is not perfect; however I do like the two Divisions system. There is no way that teams with an enrollment of 400 can compete with teams with an enrollment of 850+. Just look at the final four in Division I, this year Everman 896, Burnet 858, Jasper 876 and Forney 821. For that matter Bandara in Div II had 774 enrollment. I am afraid that the high enrollment schools would totally dominate the top of the brackets, if you lump them all together, for one final championship...I do disagree with the UIL Officials wanting to ADD a 4th team from each District to compete in the Postseason bracket system. Their only motivation seems to be to line their pockets with the revenues from additional Playoff games being played.

Jacket2000
01-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Old Card, for once I agree with you. There is way too much room between he floor and the celling in enrollments. My plan would alleviate that as well. With more classifications, there would be less room between them.
J2K

Old Dog
01-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey guys....all good points, but no one will listen to the likes of us (we're only fans and taxpayers). All the surveys from the UIL go to coaches and supers. I've never been a big fan of sending 3 teams from each district, but Bandera sure blew a hole in that idea. I had always been a high school fan over pros and colleges because money didn't rule everything. Well, guess what the UIL figured out a way to screw that up too!

<small>[ January 07, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

redraider
01-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Hey Cun, I had a thought like yours. If they were to take 3 teams, give the champ a bye. If they start the season in week 0 and take away the off week during the season, then playoffs start a week early, then finish at the same time they do now. Then it would mean something to be district champ again. The way things are, 1st or 3rd who cares, you're still dancing.

Matthew328
01-07-2003, 07:52 PM
I wish we had more classes..a 6A or heck even a 7A...I really dislike the whole 2 division system...but I really don't see that happening anytime soon...I don't know why the UIL doesn't do something...heck if they made another class everyone would win..they'd still have more playoff games becuase an extra class would be added thus more games...they would still have a LOT of teams participating and making the playoffs..and the gap between classes would be eliminated..however as is usally the case UIL will bring travel up as an issue..but with more and more schools opening up maybe this will force the UIL's hand some..suburban Houston and Dallas/Ft Worth and Austin are all exploding in growth so look for more and more new schools to open..In DFW I know of at least 4 schools opening up withing the next couple of years...Arlington Segin (already open playing a JV schedule), Frisco Centiennial, Garland Sasche, and Mansfield Timberview...not to mention talk of a 3rd high school in Denton, a 2nd high school in Burleson, a 4th high school in Plano, a second high school in Duncanville, and a 2nd high school in Southlake...

pakrat
01-08-2003, 08:46 PM
The only people who benefit from more classifications are the people in the big cities.
Most small towns are losing popualtion to the DFW,
Houston, and San Anotnio areas. When more classifications have been discussed before, many school districts have balked at the idea because of the long distances teams would have to travel to play a basketball or baseball game. We are a large state with miles and miles between cities in the western half of the state. What works in other states may not be best for Texas. Our present system may not be perfect, but we better be careful about making changes.

Jacket2000
01-08-2003, 09:05 PM
When a team from Midland and a team from Arlington decide to play each other in San Antonio, the travel issue becomes a moot point.
J2K