PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinkin' of changin' my name.....

Cam
05-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Ok, so a few years ago shortly before his death, my dad & his sister gathered up the family to tell us a secret: Our real name is "really" not our real name. I'm like, what the hell are they talkin' bout? Apparently, our family name is "adopted". And it's another one of those Indian abduction cases where dad's great-great grandfather and his little sister were taken by a band of Indians. This seemed to happen alot back in those days from what I understand. As a teenager, dad's gg-grandfather managed to escape but never saw his sister again. He was never able to find his real family. This kid was adopted by a family and given the name we now have.....So, I'm like, crap! I don't even know who I am......Turns out, our family name should be "MONTENEGRO"....hell, ain't that a country or something?? It does have kinda of a cool ring to it...and it means "Black Mountain". So, now I'm thinkin' of changin' my name back. I'm thinkin' "First-name OchoCincoMontenegro"....What do ya'll think? Any geneology buffs out there that can help with where this name comes from? I've done some research on the net but I'm too lazy so I haven't discovered much...... :thinking:

Ranger Mom
05-19-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm not a genealogy buff...but that is a pretty cool story!!

SintonFan
05-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I'm not a genealogy buff...but that is a pretty cool story!!

MONTENEGRO
Are you Spanish? spaniard maybe could help.

STANG RED
05-20-2011, 01:00 AM
http://www.houseofnames.com/montenegro-family-crest

Last name origin & meaning:
Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian: habitational name from any of various places in Spain, Portugal, and Italy called Montenegro (‘black mountain’).

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl2=allgs&cj=1&prox=1&gspl=1%2cAny+Locality&submit=Search&gsln=Montenegro&gl=allgs&o_xid=0002530106&o_lid=0002530106

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.montenegro/mb.ashx

Cam
05-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
MONTENEGRO
Are you Spanish? spaniard maybe could help.

Most definitely. But I think my family is all screwed up! My grandparents were both blue eyed. My sister has a blue eyed kid. So I love to pick on her and accuse her of messin' round...On my momma's side, my cousins are brown to red headed, white as cotton with moles everywhere...Heck, I've even got a cousin in Mexico with one green and one blue eye. I think he's a mutant! People look at me and I've often been asked what I am.....I've also been called every name name in the book: dirty Mexican, spic, wop...man I tell ya, I've got em confused! I'm a medium colored fella only cause I've spent alot of time outdoors. But my ass is white as snow and looks like it should be on a Irishman! Maybe I'll post the pic my wife took of me runnin' naked into the water on an isolated beach in Cozumel so you can see what I'm talkin' bout. I'll bet Greendawg would like that cause Greendawg likes me......I do speak five languages: English, Spanish, Espanol, Spanglish, Enganol. Now you may be wonderin', what's the difference between Spanglish & Engspanol? Well, in spanglish you always start off with a spanish word and mix in some english. For example:
A splangish sentence: "Orale pendejo, you scratched my coche with your puerta ese!"
A engspanol sentence is the opposite: "Watch it you pendejo, le pusiste un rasguno en mi car with your door dude!"

A funny story bout my family: When I was a kid I lived on a golf course on Lakeside Country Club outside of Houston. My dad was an assistant greenskeeper. My two-colored eyed cousin, Sergio, was living with us (illegally) and working on the golf course. One day, the immigration vans showed up and ran around all over the golf course picking up illegals. Sergio saw em coming but had nowhere to hide. So, he took his chances. He was gonna pretend he was white! He was cutting greens on a small tractor. So when the van pulled up next to him, Sergio just waved at em' and said HI! They waved back and just kept goin'...Sergio almost crapped his pants but his plan worked out......They must have taken 20 or so fellas......but they'd all make their way back in a few weeks.....Sergio and his brothers are now very successful businessmen living in Mexico......:D

garciap77
05-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Ok, so a few years ago shortly before his death, my dad & his sister gathered up the family to tell us a secret: Our real name is "really" not our real name. I'm like, what the hell are they talkin' bout? Apparently, our family name is "adopted". And it's another one of those Indian abduction cases where dad's great-great grandfather and his little sister were taken by a band of Indians. This seemed to happen alot back in those days from what I understand. As a teenager, dad's gg-grandfather managed to escape but never saw his sister again. He was never able to find his real family. This kid was adopted by a family and given the name we now have.....So, I'm like, crap! I don't even know who I am......Turns out, our family name should be "MONTENEGRO"....hell, ain't that a country or something?? It does have kinda of a cool ring to it...and it means "Black Mountain". So, now I'm thinkin' of changin' my name back. I'm thinkin' "First-name OchoCincoMontenegro"....What do ya'll think? Any geneology buffs out there that can help with where this name comes from? I've done some research on the net but I'm too lazy so I haven't discovered much...... :thinking:

Tres y Siete would work too!;)

icu812
05-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Great story. I've been helping my father with our family tree on ancestry.com. Its really neat and I wish I had more time to work on it. Very time consuming. We've got my grandmothers fathers side back to England 13th century (i think) and mothers side back to Texas before it was a Republic. Grandfathers side has a native american line which will be harder to put together. Really cool if you have the time but be careful with ancestry.com there is lots of misinformation on there to. Have to do your homework.