BEAST
05-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by VWG
overrated

I agree.

BEAST

PPHSfan
05-20-2011, 08:44 AM
There is no Underwoods in Brownwood. There's one in Early.

Gsquared
05-20-2011, 08:46 AM
I like thier fried chicken and the sides but do not like the BBQ much at all.

garciap77
05-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
There is no Underwoods in Brownwood. There's one in Early.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/dancing-banana.gif

95mustang
05-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
I agree.

BEAST

As do most locals in Brownwood. If we want barbecue and choose not to cook it ourselves we hit up Smitty.

BEAST
05-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
As do most locals in Brownwood. If we want barbecue and choose not to cook it ourselves we hit up Smitty.

Or Sticks. Underwoods has great rolls and sides. There meat just isnt that good.

BEAST

Ernest T Bass
05-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Ha! I thought the title of this thread was "Brown People".

theville
05-20-2011, 11:18 AM
@ Beast

I like their Chicken Fried Steak though. Rolls are great and their cobbler is pretty good.

I also like Humprey Petes ( In Early). :D :inlove:

95mustang
05-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Or Sticks. Underwoods has great rolls and sides. There meat just isnt that good.

BEAST

We hit sticks up for lunch at least once a week. I know you kinda have to promote sticks. ;) I do like their poboy sandwiches though.

BEAST
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
We hit sticks up for lunch at least once a week. I know you kinda have to promote sticks. ;) I do like their poboy sandwiches though.

True, but I liked Sticks before I had any tie to the owner.

BEAST

BEAST
05-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by theville
@ Beast

I like their Chicken Fried Steak though. Rolls are great and their cobbler is pretty good.

I also like Humprey Petes ( In Early). :D :inlove:

That is usually what I get when I eat there. Occasionally I will get the smoked sausage plate.

AND...... Humphrey Petes home office is in BROWNWOOD. LOL. They owners youngest son is going to be on varsity this year in BROWNWOOD.

BEAST

Gsquared
05-20-2011, 11:50 AM

I like Sticks too! That Brisket backed potato is awesome

BEAST

STANG RED
05-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Humphrey Pete's is the place to go. Never had a meal I did'nt really like there.

Underwoods was great many years ago. Their cobler was out of this world.

RoyceTTU
05-20-2011, 01:34 PM
If you go on sunday make sure you get there about 10:30. The church crowd is fierce on sundays. I pefer sticks or lemons. I'm not a smitty's fan.

Bosqueville
05-20-2011, 03:31 PM
The thing about Underwood's is it's not a barbque joint. I call it more unique cafateria. It's different when you don't live there. I grew up in Bwd and we ate there maybe once a year. Now that I've lived away from Bwd for 15 years, I crave it... Beefsteak, sauce, orange potato salad, beans, rolls and cobbler!! That's what I'm talkin 'bout!

Old LB
05-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
The thing about Underwood's is it's not a barbque joint. I call it more unique cafateria. It's different when you don't live there. I grew up in Bwd and we ate there maybe once a year. Now that I've lived away from Bwd for 15 years, I crave it... Beefsteak, sauce, orange potato salad, beans, rolls and cobbler!! That's what I'm talkin 'bout!

I like Underwoods for the most part, the tater salad for sure is the best around. :thumbsup:

FrmSTx
05-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Bosqueville

same thing with my wife...we hit up underwoods for lunch, and then Mary's in Strawn for supper, the day we arrive in Eastland county

LionKing
05-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Underwoods is not your traditional bar-b-q, it's unique, some people don't like it, many love it, people come from all over the state and out of state to eat there, most people agree that their rolls and cobbler are A+, I'm also friends with the owners.
For traditional bar-b-q, the Sticks is hard to beat, I'm friends with the owner there too, he's pretty cool, Beast might agree.

Trashman
05-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Underwoods is good, but it is not what it once was....The only time we eat there now is when guest come from out of town.

LionKing
05-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Underwoods is good, but it is not what it once was....The only time we eat there now is when guest come from out of town. Trashman my friend, I can't speak for everything they have, but the beef steak, beans, rolls, and potato salad taste just as it did 40 years ago, it is however; something you could get tired of very easily, once a month or two is good enough for me.

bwdlionfan
05-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
Trashman my friend, I can't speak for everything they have, but the beef steak, beans, rolls, and potato salad taste just as it did 40 years ago, it is however; something you could get tired of very easily, once a month or two is good enough for me.

I think the best thing about Underwood's is the consistency. It always tastes the same as it did the last time you ate there. It's not my fav place to eat in Bwood, but their beef steak is very unique and VERY good.

Iron Eyes
05-22-2011, 09:07 AM
agree about underwoods- WAY OVERATED

Antec
05-22-2011, 03:48 PM
The only good place to eat in Wharton County is Greek Bros in El Campo-But its way overpriced-Higher than Saltgrass

Hinze's Barbecue in Wharton is overated. Mikeska's in El Campo is okay but there iis a Bbq place in Louise called Mustang Creek is pretty good

There is Prasek's Hillje Smokehoust between El Campo and Louise and The Kitchen Table in Louise

Ganado has good cafe but haven't been there in a while

Hotel Blessing- between Palacios and Bay City has great lunches- You get your food out of the pots they are cooked in on a stove

Ernest T Bass
05-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Antec
The only good place to eat in Wharton County is Greek Bros in El Campo-But its way overpriced-Higher than Saltgrass

Hinze's Barbecue in Wharton is overated. Mikeska's in El Campo is okay but there iis a Bbq place in Louise called Mustang Creek is pretty good

There is Prasek's Hillje Smokehoust between El Campo and Louise and The Kitchen Table in Louise

Ganado has good cafe but haven't been there in a while

Hotel Blessing- between Palacios and Bay City has great lunches- You get your food out of the pots they are cooked in on a stove

Riverbend between Bay City and Matagorda is pretty good.

cr180t
05-22-2011, 04:10 PM
How many Underwoods are left?

bwdlionfan
05-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by cr180t
How many Underwoods are left?

I'm not sure but I think Brownwood is the only one. The Waco one closed several years ago.

cr180t
05-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I'm not sure but I think Brownwood is the only one. The Waco one closed several years ago.

There were a lot at one time. I can remember going to one in Denison when I was real young.

LionKing
05-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Iron Eyes
agree about underwoods- WAY OVERATED No, places that are ''truly'' overrated always die off and close, Underwoods parking lot is full everyday they're open, and has for more than 50 Years, doesn't mean everyone likes it, but no one stays successful in that business for as long as they have by being overrated.

PPHSfan
05-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by LionKing
No, places that are ''truly'' overrated always die off and close, Underwoods parking lot is full everyday they're open, and has for more than 50 Years, doesn't mean everyone likes it, but no one stays successful in that business for as long as they have by being overrated.

Two Words.

Wayne Newton

LIONS#1
05-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Well I still like Underwoods...maybe because I eat there about once every year. I gotta say I am a RIB eater and just love their ribs. Beefsteak and Chicken are pretty dang hard to beat as well. All the veggies and rolls you can eat as well as Cobbler!! I always leave stuffed and miserable so I am guessing that is why I wait a year to eat there again!!:D