PDA

View Full Version : Can You Read This? Thank a Teacher

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 09:45 AM
This is for Rancher and all you other fools to read. Enjoy!
I would also invite everyone else to read it.(good guys)(gals)

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/05/19/read-thank-teacher/

Blastoderm55
05-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Honestly, I thank my mother for my reading ability. I was ahead of others when I entered school, and she had me work on math during summer breaks. I hated it then, but now I see my younger siblings and they can't perform multiplication as 14 year olds that I could do as an 8 year old. Sadly, the latter has become the norm in our society and an undue burden is placed on our educators.

Ernest T Bass
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
So, when kids do well, it's due to the parents(Im seriously not arguing this fact). But when they fail, it's due to the schools and the teachers.
That seems to be the general consensus.

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
So, when kids do well, it's due to the parents(Im seriously not arguing this fact). But when they fail, it's due to the schools and the teachers.

Hit the nail on the head!!!

NastySlot
05-19-2011, 10:18 AM

that's what most believe...and when a kid is a discipline problem it's the fault of the public school system......and when the school system tries to discipline or teach it....they are told it's not there place.....or it is usually the only time you see a parent and it's so they can tell you don't like my kid( or maybe you re even a racist) or your just picking on him.

Ernest T Bass
05-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Only time I can get a parent on the phone or at the school is when they get a summons for truancy court.

Blastoderm55
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM

I don't agree with that consensus. Some kids have no desire to succeed, nor the parents to drive them toward success. All the effort in the world won't change them. Its students like those that make education difficult because so much of the school's performance status is directly related to those refusing to perform.

And giving my mom all the props isn't fair. I did have some pretty good teachers who pushed me along the way. I guess you could say my mom helped lay the foundation for me as a teachable pupil. THAT is what I think is lacking for so many today.

SintonFan
05-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
This is for Rancher and all you other fools to read. Enjoy!
I would also invite everyone else to read it.(good guys)(gals)

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/05/19/read-thank-teacher/

This fool taught his daughter to read before she enrolled in kindergarten.:nerd:

Cowboy_Up
05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm so sick of listening to coaches and teachers cry about parents. Yes, there are parents who do not take their responsibilities seriously and their kids, and our school districts, suffer because of that lack of responsibility. No question about it.

But, at my little rural school we have 10% of our graduating class going on to compete in athletics at the college level. Every kid I know personally who is graduating this year at our school is going on to college. There is not a single kid who in the last 4 years who has been at my house for a hamburger cookout, or a player feed, or just a summer swim party who is not planning on going to school. And I know all their parents and they sound nothing like how the coaches here and on The Old Coach describe parents.

There is a percentage in every section of society, cops, teachers, parents, principles...etc... who don't measure up. Always been that way, always will be that way. Crying about it does a huge injustice to the vast majority who do the right thing and accept the responsibility of enforcing our laws, raising our children, and educating our youth. We need to quit focusing on the losers and give some ink to the winners.

Matthew328
05-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Its different everywhere you go....sounds like you are in a good spot...

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
I'm so sick of listening to coaches and teachers cry about parents. Yes, there are parents who do not take their responsibilities seriously and their kids, and our school districts, suffer because of that lack of responsibility. No question about it.

But, at my little rural school we have 10% of our graduating class going on to compete in athletics at the college level. Every kid I know personally who is graduating this year at our school is going on to college. There is not a single kid who in the last 4 years who has been at my house for a hamburger cookout, or a player feed, or just a summer swim party who is not planning on going to school. And I know all their parents and they sound nothing like how the coaches here and on The Old Coach describe parents.

There is a percentage in every section of society, cops, teachers, parents, principles...etc... who don't measure up. Always been that way, always will be that way. Crying about it does a huge injustice to the vast majority who do the right thing and accept the responsibility of enforcing our laws, raising our children, and educating our youth. We need to quit focusing on the losers and give some ink to the winners.

Your school is the example not the problem. If more parents were like yours we would not be in this situation.

icu812
05-19-2011, 12:35 PM

Nice post. :clap:

Ernest T Bass
05-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Y'all have any openings?

SintonFan
05-19-2011, 12:55 PM

Thank you!:cool: :clap: :cool:

bwdlionfan
05-19-2011, 03:46 PM

Not all schools are rural, and not all rural schools are like that. Be glad of where you are.