PDA

View Full Version : Cppp Sums Up The Case For Using The Rainy Day Fund For

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 09:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need more people in office thinking this way

(AUSTIN, Texas) „źCenter for Public Policy Priorities Executive Director F. Scott McCown sums up the case for using the Rainy Day Fund for 2012-13:

"Texans aren't supposed to protect the Rainy Day Fund. The Rainy Day Fund is supposed to protect Texans. Voters created the Rainy Day Fund by constitutional amendment in 1988 to offset unforeseen falls in state revenue just like the state faces now. The Legislature should use the Rainy Day Fund to bridge the revenue hole created by the Great Recession."

Ernest T Bass
05-19-2011, 09:44 AM
It was drained once before, about 5 years ago. Seems to have recovered nicely.

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Wanna know the real funny thing? When the first shortfall was created in 2005 with Perry's tax swap, he used the ENTIRE RAINY DAY FUND to cover it. The whole damned thing! But now, even with the RDF being expected to grow by $3 billion by the end of the year, he won't touch it at all.

rancher
05-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Educrats have bemoaned education funding cuts this session. However, over 20 years, public education funding has grown five times faster than student population, and the current levels of funding are unsustainable. Educrats must be weaned off the government teet.

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by rancher
Educrats have bemoaned education funding cuts this session. However, over 20 years, public education funding has grown five times faster than student population, and the current levels of funding are unsustainable. Educrats must be weaned off the government teet.

Show me the proof

rancher
05-19-2011, 10:00 AM
How about cutting the waste bloated school districts first, we have enough money. Here is new group that is starting to upset the educrats called the RED APPLE PROJECT, growing fast and educrats are running for the hills. You can submit your school district for the ROTTEN APPLE of WEEK AWARD. Link attached.

http://redappleprojectsite.com/

NastySlot
05-19-2011, 10:23 AM

so after twenty years....it should still take the same amount to fund and educate?

I am pretty sure that the cost of bldg. a new school is not the same as it was in the past.

I'll bet the cost of textbooks and tech. are not the same either.

the cost to produce results for the state test are not the same.

wish i could send my daughter to college at the cost of what it was twenty years ago......i would probably sleep a lot better right now.

scrub c
05-19-2011, 10:34 AM
I still don't understand how cutting funds for education makes the education better...

Blastoderm55
05-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
I still don't understand how cutting funds for education makes the education better...

It won't. But it will make legislators look like tax-cutting heroes and buy the votes of the rich. I've got a feeling there are a lot more votes to be earned from teachers and other effected by this deal than a small percentage of high-earners, so we'll see who gets the last laugh.

Emerson1
05-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Textbooks should be eliminated. That might be the biggest scam in America right now.

Ernest T Bass
05-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Textbooks should be eliminated. That might be the biggest scam in America right now.

I agree. I haven't used one in years.

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 10:52 AM
I really think what people don't realize is that “ALL CHILDREN CAN LEARN” is not exactly true. Sure all kids can learn something’s, but all can’t be Doctors, lawyers, and engineers and such. Some need to be wielders, mechanics, and pipe fitters. We need to go back to teaching vocational classes to some of these kids, not Calculus and Trigonometry. Also we need to fine all parents the cost of their child’s education (for those 6 weeks) every time they fail a class.

icu812
05-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I really think what people don't realize is that “ALL CHILDREN CAN LEARN” is not exactly true. Sure all kids can learn something’s, but all can’t be Doctors, lawyers, and engineers and such. Some need to be wielders, mechanics, and pipe fitters. We need to go back to teaching vocational classes to some of these kids, not Calculus and Trigonometry. Also we need to fine all parents the cost of their child’s education (for those 6 weeks) every time they fail a class.

I completely agree about the vocational classes. However, your going to fine parents when you just said all children can't learn? If they do have the ability to learn then you better fine the teacher as well since they didn't do their job either.

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by icu812
I completely agree about the vocational classes. However, your going to fine parents when you just said all children can't learn? If they do have the ability to learn then you better fine the teacher as well since they didn't do their job either.

Typical bleeding heart liberal with a kid in school!

icu812
05-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Typical bleeding heart liberal with a kid in school!

First time I've ever been called a liberal and I've never been so insulted in my life, lol. My wife is a teacher. All students are not capable of passing and its nobodys fault its just a fact of life. So you advocate fining parents who have children with learning dissabilities because they can't pass??

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by icu812
First time I've ever been called a liberal and I've never been so insulted in my life, lol. My wife is a teacher. All students are not capable of passing and its nobodys fault its just a fact of life. So you advocate fining parents who have children with learning dissabilities because they can't pass??

Yep $ got to come from somewhere

WildTexan972
05-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by scrub c

so far the education establishment has NOT shown that throwing more money at education makes the kids smarter.....if the RESULTS will be the same, why spend MORE?

schools use substitute teachers now for all sorts of ridiculous reasons....subs that are NOT qualified teachers....yet all we hear is to respect and pay the teachers more.....

then the teachers go off for days to "development conferences" during the school year and subs get paid.....why are these days off to drink and party not done during the summer while teachers are sitting by the pool and piddlin?

too many assistant principals....too many counselors that do about 8 hours a month of work....too many clerks - use the kiss up students like they did in the old days to stand around in the office for free....too many central office administrators studying the industry of education but not helping the students 1 bit....

let the state send a set amount per student from the gubmint suagr nipple, then change the law that limits what bond revenues can be used for, and if local districts want to sell bonds to pay more teachers or buy more books, so be it.....

icu812
05-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Yep $ got to come from somewhere

So the parent is going to pay school taxes plus a fine and get back a failing student who is being taught a curriculum which isn't at the students ability level. Nice system.

garciap77
05-19-2011, 12:19 PM

Educators did not grow the funding; Government did with all the programs the school systems have to adhere to. In fact, we the people are to blame for voting politicians to office who in turn make all this programs into law and then expect the public schools to run them with limited funding. You need to lay off the teachers they are not to blame.

GrTigers6
05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
so far the education establishment has NOT shown that throwing more money at education makes the kids smarter.....if the RESULTS will be the same, why spend MORE?

schools use substitute teachers now for all sorts of ridiculous reasons....subs that are NOT qualified teachers....yet all we hear is to respect and pay the teachers more.....

then the teachers go off for days to "development conferences" during the school year and subs get paid.....why are these days off to drink and party not done during the summer while teachers are sitting by the pool and piddlin?

too many assistant principals....too many counselors that do about 8 hours a month of work....too many clerks - use the kiss up students like they did in the old days to stand around in the office for free....too many central office administrators studying the industry of education but not helping the students 1 bit....

let the state send a set amount per student from the gubmint suagr nipple, then change the law that limits what bond revenues can be used for, and if local districts want to sell bonds to pay more teachers or buy more books, so be it..... Yes schools can do some trimming, but to do it to the extreme that the house bill is proposing is crazy.
For example they are proposing to cut our budget 62% which will mean we will be paying the state 3.7 times the amount that we get to keep. And in our instance we chose to live with a nuclear power plant in our backyards for the benefits of the extra money. but the state has already taken a large portion of that and are now planning on taken even more.
What ever happened to the term "Independent School Districts":thinking:

GrTigers6
05-19-2011, 12:23 PM
And to add to that we have to keep enough buses on hand to evacuate every student, teacher, and staff member. Do we get reimbursed for those extra 20 buses, absolutely not!

garciap77
05-19-2011, 12:31 PM
........................................... Also we need to fine all parents the cost of their child’s education (for those 6 weeks) every time they fail a class.

I would not go that far, but instead I would just let any kid that does not want to be in school leave. Also, any kid that is disturbing class room instruction should be suspended for the reminder of the semester. And, if they come back and start trouble again, suspend them for the reminder of the school year.

baseballcoach13
05-19-2011, 12:34 PM

I dont know a single teacher that goes to these by choice...I know I for sure dont. I despise them. But I am told to go and I have no choice. I am not being offerered a contract at my current school next year and was sent to three of these deals after i was already told my job was getting axed. I asked why and was told, 'its a spend it or lose it type deal'. So instead of the district being able to keep the money or spend it elsewhere, they have to waste it this year to get it back next year??? what sense does that make.

pancho villa
05-19-2011, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WildTexan972
[B]so far the education establishment has NOT shown that throwing more money at education makes the kids smarter.....if the RESULTS will be the same, why spend MORE?

When do I get to do this?

garciap77
05-19-2011, 12:42 PM

let the state send a set amount per student from the gubmint suagr nipple, then change the law that limits what bond revenues can be used for, and if local districts want to sell bonds to pay more teachers or buy more books, so be it.....

The “more money” you are talking about is for programs the politicians are mandating the schools to have. All this things you are talking are driven by the Politicians we vote for, not the educators. If anyone is to blame it is “US” the voters or nonvoters! I’m not buying this “It’s the Educators”.

JJWalker
05-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
The “more money” you are talking about is for programs the politicians are mandating the schools to have. All this things you are talking are driven by the Politicians we vote for, not the educators. If anyone is to blame it is “US” the voters or nonvoters! I’m not buying this “It’s the Educators”.
Just another case of everybody pointing the finger at everybody else.

And ... I am not buying "It's NOT the Educators".

Time to clean house of political nonsense.
Time to clean house of educational nonsense.

Time to clean ... my house ... later dudes and dudettes.

dog40
05-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Funding has grown because the legislators and Perry have increased all of the testing requirements which we spend millions on.

Daddy D 11
05-19-2011, 02:34 PM
cutting TAKS and textbooks completely would be a huge step

then trimming administrative and office personnel would be another good step

then more than half the people on this thread actually educating themselves on the matter without biased judgement would be the biggest step

Daddy D 11
05-19-2011, 02:36 PM
the same people that voted a straight republican ticket in the mid term elections for the cutting of taxes are now the ones jumping on this thread and bitching and moaning about the cutting of their profession. you can't love what the TEA party is saying, and dislike big government, vote republican, then be mad at the policies of the party.. when all they are doing is responding to the majority of their constituents

you cannot have your cake and eat it too...

Txbroadcaster
05-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
the same people that voted a straight republican ticket in the mid term elections for the cutting of taxes are now the ones jumping on this thread and bitching and moaning about the cutting of their profession. you can't love what the TEA party is saying, and dislike big government, vote republican, then be mad at the policies of the party.. when all they are doing is responding to the majority of their constituents

I think those informed on here are not mad at the cutting as much as mad of WHY the cutting. This was something that did not need to happen

partimefan
05-19-2011, 03:25 PM

To answer your question, teachers are NOT PAID for days in the summer (or spring break or Christmas Break.) They are only paid for 187 school days. It is cheaper for the schools to send teachers to conferences during the year because then the school only has to pay the sub $50-75 a day instead of paying the teacher's daily rate.

(But, it is still a bad idea for teachers to be gone during the year. They need to be in the class teaching.)

Ernest T Bass
05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by partimefan
To answer your question, teachers are NOT PAID for days in the summer (or spring break or Christmas Break.) They are only paid for 187 school days. It is cheaper for the schools to send teachers to conferences during the year because then the school only has to pay the sub $50-75 a day instead of paying the teacher's daily rate.

(But, it is still a bad idea for teachers to be gone during the year. They need to be in the class teaching.)

I'd say the answer is less professional development. I don't know a teacher alive who wouldn't vote for that.

garciap77
05-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/si_se_puede_2.gif