PDA

View Full Version : Irony or Hypocrit?

bolshavik
05-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Taken from TOC

Ironic or what that all these bible thumpers complain about god and prayer taken out of schools yet the same guys are anti privates in the UIL

NastySlot
05-17-2011, 10:45 PM
I really don't think it has much to do with faith and believing or not........it might have to do with rules etc.

and you might fooling yourself if you think all private schools are really christian centered and will follow rules.

Matthew328
05-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Here's some more irony from TOC....great post IMO...

Ah yes, the "Christian" private schools want to be selective of their students. I don't remember Jesus doing things that way. The hypocrisy of some of these private schools knows no bounds. Now they want to pick and choose what regulations they follow. They want their cake and eat it too.

They don't serve all kids...
They don't serve kids with special education needs
They don't serve kids with learning disabilities
They don't serve the poor
They don't serve students that speak no English
They don't bus kids to and from school
They don't take state mandated tests
They don't have to abide by state no pass no play guidelines
They don't abide by Title IX requirements for girls sports
They don't have to have certified teachers or coaches
They don't have state limitations on practice time for athletics
They don't have state limitations on athletic contests during the school week

...but they want to play in the public school league

Pick6
05-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328

Ah yes, the "Christian" private schools want to be selective of their students. I don't remember Jesus doing things that way. The hypocrisy of some of these private schools knows no bounds.

Jesus was selective when he chose his 12 Disciples.

Matthew328
05-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Jesus selected his disciples for the purpose of spreading God's word to the masses. Much like you'd select a qualified candidate for a job. He was looking for real people. He chose people who could be changed by His love, and then He sent them out to communicate that His acceptance was available to anyone - even to those whose lives are marked by failure.

Are private schools going to let the ones they choose to get their message out give that message to all or just the ones who meet their criteria??

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Jesuit's are already in. Why not let em all in?? Jesuit's arent special.

Matthew328
05-18-2011, 08:44 AM
I agree the Jesuit's aren't special....they shouldn't be allowed in either...

FbCoachB40
05-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Jesus selected his disciples for the purpose of spreading God's word to the masses. Much like you'd select a qualified candidate for a job. He was looking for real people. He chose people who could be changed by His love, and then He sent them out to communicate that His acceptance was available to anyone - even to those whose lives are marked by failure.

Are private schools going to let the ones they choose to get their message out give that message to all or just the ones who meet their criteria??

Look...These are Christian schools that are all about setting a Christian environment for students to learn in. Their main mission is NOT evangelizing the masses through their school...the mission is to educate & equip young believers with the needed skills to be a success in life. That mission comes with the hope that through the students' success and knowledge that they will impact the world around them for God's Kingdom.

That is not hypocracy

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by bolshavik
Jesuit's are already in. Why not let em all in?? Jesuit's arent special.

Jesuits had no place to go because of their enrollment size TAPPS wouldn't take them...imo if you were going to let a private school in it would of been the Jesuits......The Jesuits are all about education...and have strict entrance exam and qualifications...you won't find many junior transfers and no senior transfers (exception I believe maybe transfering from another Jesuit school). I beleive this why they are called College Prepatorys

lets face it not all privates want into the UIL and a few that do would play by the rules...until they decide to challenge them in court....but you would open the door for schools like Cornerstone of SA....and the ones from out of state like John Curtis, Evangel....research states like Ohio, California and Florida others that rival our state in H.S. sports and look at the problems.

said it before this bill will not only kill the UIL but TAPPS both two of the best organizations of their kind in the country.

WildTexan972
05-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Ah yes, the "Christian" private schools want to be selective of their students. I don't remember Jesus doing things that way. The hypocrisy of some of these private schools knows no bounds. Now they want to pick and choose what regulations they follow. They want their cake and eat it too.

They don't serve all kids...
They don't serve kids with special education needs
They don't serve kids with learning disabilities
They don't serve the poor
They don't serve students that speak no English
They don't bus kids to and from school
They don't take state mandated tests
They don't have to abide by state no pass no play guidelines
They don't abide by Title IX requirements for girls sports
They don't have to have certified teachers or coaches
They don't have state limitations on practice time for athletics
They don't have state limitations on athletic contests during the school week

...but they want to play in the public school league

they DO serve poor kids if the kid is a 5star football or basketball prospect that can play on a "scholarship"

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
they DO serve poor kids if the kid is a 5star football or basketball prospect that can play on a "scholarship"

I finally agree with you on something.

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NastySlot
[B]Jesuits had no place to go because of their enrollment size TAPPS wouldn't take them...imo if you were going to let a private school in it would of been the Jesuits......The Jesuits are all about education...and have strict entrance exam and qualifications...you won't find many junior transfers and no senior transfers (exception I believe maybe transfering from another Jesuit school). I beleive this why they are called College Prepatorys

lets face it not all privates want into the UIL and a few that do would play by the rules...until they decide to challenge them in court....but you would open the door for schools like Cornerstone of SA....and the ones from out of state like John Curtis, Evangel....research states like Ohio, California and Florida others that rival our state in H.S. sports and look at the problems.

said it before this bill will not only kill the UIL but TAPPS both two of the best organizations of their kind in the country. [/

Jesuit's had TCIL , Now they woulda been the only two in the league but the idea that they had no place to go is a myth

Matthew328
05-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
Look...These are Christian schools that are all about setting a Christian environment for students to learn in. Their main mission is NOT evangelizing the masses through their school...the mission is to educate & equip young believers with the needed skills to be a success in life. That mission comes with the hope that through the students' success and knowledge that they will impact the world around them for God's Kingdom.

That is not hypocracy

IMO it's hypocracy if those young believers who wished to be educated in that environment were turned away because their test score wasn't high enough or because they couldn't afford to attend the school...

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 09:55 AM
IMO it's hypocracy if those young believers who wished to be educated in that environment were turned away because their test score wasn't high enough or because they couldn't afford to attend the school...

Catholic schools will generally take them and many even have CMC/remedial courses as well. However when they do this the HC at public high school hollers that they gave em a scholly

Matthew328
05-18-2011, 09:58 AM
So one school will take em, but another won't? So will the public schools be allowed to turn kids away also?

Dr Death
05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
The Jesuit private schools have worked because athletics is part of the mission of educating children. When athletics is the driving force behind having a school, you get schools where academics is a second thought and having a championship is the first thought.
Arlington Grace Prep was one of those for a few years. They were connected with Evangel in S'port. They produced many DI athletes.
There are a few public schools like that in Texas but there are many private schools like that in other states.

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
So one school will take em, but another won't? So will the public schools be allowed to turn kids away also?

Yeah, its called AEP...See, when they make too much trouble fer ya ya just send them across town to the alternative school.

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NastySlot
[B]Jesuits had no place to go because of their enrollment size TAPPS wouldn't take them...imo if you were going to let a private school in it would of been the Jesuits......The Jesuits are all about education...and have strict entrance exam and qualifications...you won't find many junior transfers and no senior transfers (exception I believe maybe transfering from another Jesuit school). I beleive this why they are called College Prepatorys

said it before this bill will not only kill the UIL but TAPPS both two of the best organizations of their kind in the country. [/

Jesuit's had TCIL , Now they woulda been the only two in the league but the idea that they had no place to go is a myth

there was no longer a TCIL when the smaller Catholic schools left....and why did they leave..for the same reason that the Jesuits weren't admited to TAPPS...enrollment size......what were they scared of in TAPPS?

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah, its called AEP...See, when they make too much trouble fer ya ya just send them across town to the alternative school.

oh yeah...if it's not crowded and they have room for them.

and only if their ARD says that they can be punished with AEP.

RoyceTTU
05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
What's the differnce in TAPPS and SPC?

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
IMO, no one is forcing anyone to send their kids to a private school. I don't see any downside to allowing them to compete with UIL schools---I see only advantages to both types of schools.
If we, as a society, are not able to correct a lot of the major problems such as funding and quality of education currently associated with our public schools, the private school option will more and more be elected by those able to afford it.

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU

SPC (Southwest Prepatory Conference) is made up of Old Money schools...the SPC is the Ivy League of Preps schools in Texas and Oklahoma.....a lot times these schools will provide boarding.

TAPPS is made up private schools in Texas of many denominations..you and I could start a Private school in a old bldg and a couple of portables and be admitted to TAPPS...we aren't going to get a look from SPC

Matthew328
05-18-2011, 10:23 AM
The number one issue at play is a level playing field for extra cirricular activities, thats what this is about plain and simple. The rules are not the same, as much as you try and make it a level field it won't be.

Ernest T Bass
05-18-2011, 10:24 AM

Two different leagues. TAPPS is much larger and accepts almost all private schools who apply for membership. Made up of mostly christian schools and bases most of their opperations after the UIL.
SPC is much smaller and much more exclusive. They call themselves "The Ivy League of High Schools". While many of the schools are affiliated with the Episcopal church in some way, the schools themselves are secular and opperate as college prep schools. Much more expensive, much more prestigious

RoyceTTU
05-18-2011, 10:32 AM
So other than their requirments of entering into SPC and TAPPS, they are the exact same.

A Private league. Correct?

Ernest T Bass
05-18-2011, 10:34 AM
So other than their requirments of entering into SPC and TAPPS, they are the exact same.

A Private league. Correct?

They're both leagues of private schools, yes. The schools themselves are very different, though. All SPC schools are very similar. There's only around 20 total schools in the SPC.
There's a wide array of TAPPS schools and I'd venture to guess that there are over 500 schools in TAPPS.
Basically, think the difference between the Ivy League conference and the rest of the NCAA.

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 10:42 AM
The number one issue at play is a level playing field for extra cirricular activities, thats what this is about plain and simple. The rules are not the same, as much as you try and make it a level field it won't be.

I don't follow, Matt. Are you saying that the private schools will drop their admission standards and extend scholarships to secure the best athletes?

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
, think the difference between the Ivy League conference and the rest of the NCAA.

this is a good comparison.........SPC schools are full of kids that are very very wealthy......they don't just go on ski trips to colorado..........they own houses on mountains in colorado- not a time share....a ski trip for them would be going to Europe.

Lamar Hunts children went to SPC schools and Ross Perots son did also..............Ross Perot there is a name....he might of had it right...send your kids to an exclusive private school and help to fix public schools.....now it all looks good.

Matthew328
05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
No what I'm saying private schools by nature are selective of who they let in and who the don't. That in and of itself puts them on a different playing field than publics who basically get who lives there..private schools have the option of being selective publics dont.

So in essence, yes a private school could lower their admission standards to allow more kids in if they wanted...most wouldn't but it just takes one.

Ernest T Bass
05-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
this is a good comparison.........SPC schools are full of kids that are very very wealthy......they don't just go on ski trips to colorado..........they own houses on mountains in colorado- not a time share....a ski trip for them would be going to Europe.

Lamar Hunts children went to SPC schools and Ross Perots son did also..............Ross Perot there is a name....he might of had it right...send your kids to an exclusive private school and help to fix public schools.....now it all looks good.

I coached at a SPC school during college. It's a VERY different world. Some value athletics more than others, but running up the score will get you fired!

garciap77
05-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40

That is not hypocracy

OK! But, why would they want to play with public schools who may not have good Christian environment for students to play in. So, I guess learn in a Christian environment and play in a non-Christian environment!:confused:

Phil C
05-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
I really don't think it has much to do with faith and believing or not........it might have to do with rules etc.

and you might fooling yourself if you think all private schools are really christian centered and will follow rules.

I completely agree with your first sentence and even sadly to say your second sentence might be true. :(