PDA

View Full Version : Private school vouchers to hit house floor tomorrow

Ernest T Bass
05-17-2011, 08:26 PM
First Texas Legislature rapes public school funding.
Then, SB 1214 forces the UIL to allow private schools membership
Now, SB 1847 creates a private school voucher system. Not only that, but the rule that states a bill has to go to committee by last friday to be considered was suspended to get 1847 to the floor!

Naw, this wasn't planned or anything!

rancher
05-17-2011, 08:43 PM
This is great and long overdue news. I hope the republicans run with this as they have in the recent past. Texas needs vouchers, why should a parent be required to send his son or daughter to a failing school system? Why are educrats so afraid of competition? Thanks Ernest T for the great news.

bolshavik
05-17-2011, 09:20 PM
GO PRIVATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO GOD

garciap77
05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by bolshavik
GO PRIVATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO GOD

So, GOD is in favor of Private schools?

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by garciap77

no, he hates them..lol..

Txbroadcaster
05-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by rancher
This is great and long overdue news. I hope the republicans run with this as they have in the recent past. Texas needs vouchers, why should a parent be required to send his son or daughter to a failing school system? Why are educrats so afraid of competition? Thanks Ernest T for the great news.

wait..so if a parent who uses vouchers pays 5,000 in property tax but private school costs 10,000 a year, you want the rest of the town to pay the other 5,000 for them? Does not sound very republican to me

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 08:17 AM

yes because Bolshevik says so..... all Bolshevik's are for God also.

and as for Rancher he's probably all hat and no cattle anyway and likes to rip public education regardless......when his beloved team is losing kids to the local private school he'll whine about it and why isn't the government doing anything to help public education in his community.....he's probably not even from Texas....most Texans pride themselves in their community and schools............Rancher prides himself on belittling those that would go out and do what he wouldn't.

garciap77
05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
"Private schools, by their very definition, are selective. They are not obligated to accept every child, so getting admitted may involve in-depth applications with multiple interviews, essays, and testing. Because private schools define the identity of their communities, they often pick and choose between candidates based not only on their scholastic achievement but also their ethnicity and religious background — as well as the special attributes (or assets) of their parents. "

Will this change? Will private schools have to accept everyone who wants to attend?

Ernest T Bass
05-18-2011, 08:22 AM
"Private schools, by their very definition, are selective. They are not obligated to accept every child, so getting admitted may involve in-depth applications with multiple interviews, essays, and testing. Because private schools define the identity of their communities, they often pick and choose between candidates based not only on their scholastic achievement but also their ethnicity and religious background — as well as the special attributes (or assets) of their parents. "

Will this change? Will private schools have to accept everyone who wants to attend?

If they did, they couldn't call them "private" anymore. At best, this will simply do away with the geographically-based school system we now have. At worst, it will completely privatize quality education.
If you don't like this, start calling your reps and let them know. It takes about 3 minutes. Ive done it.

pancho villa
05-18-2011, 08:28 AM
I can't wait, now all the little whimps that go to private school and hide behind their momma's skirt, will have to go to school with bullys,gang-bangers,drugies,numbnuts, and tough kids in general. I hope all the private school whimps get what they wish for!!!

RoyceTTU
05-18-2011, 08:30 AM
All this talk about "Privates" needs to be taken to the Kennedale Thread :doh:

garciap77
05-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I can't wait, now all the little whimps that go to private school and hide behind their momma's skirt, will have to go to school with bullys,gang-bangers,drugies,numbnuts, and tough kids in general. I hope all the private school whimps get what they wish for!!!

I think you are right, but I don't believe they will take all kids. They will only take kids that are doing well in school.

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Southlake and HP only take kids whose parents are RICH

Txbroadcaster
05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

no they only take kids who live in their ISD

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 08:57 AM

I wonder why could it be because their children live in those attendence zones?

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
no they only take kids who live in their ISD

Well, A private schools zone encompasses just about as far as people living in that area are willing to drive. You are just not familiar with their school zones

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Well, A private schools zone encompasses just about as far as people living in that area are willing to drive. You are just not familiar with their school zones

ok played summer ball with some kids that attended private school two of them brothers that had an apartment in the Park Cities area........their parents spent a good portion of the week...almost all in Tyler where their house was.

so I guess you are sort of right....these two Tyler kids got to go to a private school in Dallas...yet had residence in Tyler.

Txbroadcaster
05-18-2011, 09:17 AM

I am very familiar i spent a year coaching at a private school, they will take anyone anywhere who fit their requirments, being in a certain area is not one of them

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 09:17 AM

or can afford to drive.....your poor inter city kids how they going to get to far North Dallas or the suburbs if they have no transportation................people want vouchers....but i'll bet the same belly ache about government assistance...like welfare and food stamps.

cotulla
05-18-2011, 09:41 AM
so kids will have voucher in hand and want to enter rancher's private school.

will he take them? if they are 6'4" 205 and run a 4.5, i bet he will. first time he get's in trouble? second, third, fourth time? kid disappears, like the good ol' days.

I've taught and coached in both systems. beauty of the private school - kids behaved because they knew they got in trouble they were back in the "failing school" (rancher's words). A beautiful system indeed.

So what happens when the kid with the voucher can't get in to XYZ private school? Private schools will ramp up their entrance qualifiers... would be stupid not to. Their market for potential clients just skyrocketed. Having a voucher does not mean you will automatically be able to enter the "successful" school. How does Rancher's school handle the discipline problems? oh wait, there won't be any because all of the children will be perfect when they are out of the "failed education" system.

give me a break! ever heard of the song "rose colored glasses" rancher?

Matthew328
05-18-2011, 10:29 AM

There are poorer kids in Highland Park

GrTigers6
05-18-2011, 10:50 AM
no they only take kids who live in their ISD They just make it to where you have to be rich to live there! :D
Seriously though I have seen some pretty below aveage neighborhoods in southlake, just not many.

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
They just make it to where you have to be rich to live there! :D
Seriously though I have seen some pretty below aveage neighborhoods in southlake, just not many.

remains of a long ago southlake....one of rural homes on a few acres.....................I miss the old days.

rancher
05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Only an educrat or babbling government employee would deny the success that vouchers have had across this country. Look at some of the worst school districts where they have been implemented nothing but success. Here is an article on the success in Ohio, School Voucher Program Achieves Greatest Success As Demand Exceeds Supply. More Ohio families want school vouchers than state policy will currently allow, according to applications received by the Ohio Department of Education.

For the first time, the popular Educational Choice (EdChoice) Scholarship Program—which provides children in chronically underperforming public schools with the opportunity to receive vouchers to attend private schools—has reached its state-imposed cap of 14,000 students.

But I forget we are dealing with educrats who are on the government teet.

http://www.scohio.org/PressReleases/SCO_pressReleases_04192010.html

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
or can afford to drive.....your poor inter city kids how they going to get to far North Dallas or the suburbs if they have no transportation................people want vouchers....but i'll bet the same belly ache about government assistance...like welfare and food stamps.

Everybody beeches about welfare and foodstamps...
I hear o bdy beeching about Pell Grants,Student Loans, bank bailouts,HUUD homes, etc...

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Everybody beeches about welfare and foodstamps...
I hear o bdy beeching about Pell Grants,Student Loans, bank bailouts,HUUD homes, etc...

I don't know o bdy....no body?

I hear them about bailouts all the time.......Pell Grants what a novel concept..........I beech here since I have a daughter going to college........why can't she get one.........Loans I beech every month about having to pay for whats left of mine and those of my son's ....i know nothing about HUUD homes.

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't know o bdy....no body?

I hear them about bailouts all the time.......Pell Grants what a novel concept..........I beech here since I have a daughter going to college........why can't she get one.........Loans I beech every month about having to pay for whats left of mine and those of my son's ....i know nothing about HUUD homes.

Key is they are all government subsidies yet we only beech about food stamps or welfare

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Key is they are all government subsidies yet we only beech about food stamps or welfare

i understand ya...i do less griping about food stamps than most.....i have seen the kids in the cafeteria on a Friday...making sure they get what might just be last good meal they get until Monday....I have no problem with feeding people...esp kids.

I have seen the kids going into the Counselors office to get those bags of food that will provide them with a little over the weekend with a few snacks etc.

I would much rather see our tax dollars going to feed our kids first than those overseas.

now as for the rest including welfare I will..beech a little.

garciap77
05-18-2011, 01:06 PM
How about we only provide vouchers to Students who are failing in failing school districts! Then, they can use these vouchers to attend any private school of their choice.

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 01:07 PM
How about we only provide vouchers to Students who are failing in failing school districts! Then, they can use these vouchers to attend any private school of their choice.
sounds good to me......they could use it more.

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 01:10 PM

:dispntd:

garciap77
05-18-2011, 01:13 PM
sounds good to me......they could use it more.

If it's about the kids that are failing, I'm all for it. If it's for someone who already has a kids in a private schools........No GO!

garciap77
05-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
:dispntd:

Why not help the kids that need it?

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Why not help the kids that need it?

Don't have any prob with that, garcia, as long as we don't penalize the potential of our best and brightest.

BEAST
05-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Don't have any prob with that, garcia, as long as we don't penalize the potential of our best and brightest.

But, isnt that what we are doing now? Teachers have to teach to the slowest in the class, not the smartest.

BEAST

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
But, isnt that what we are doing now? Teachers have to teach to the slowest in the class, not the smartest.

BEAST

Exactly what I'm not wanting to see continued, Beast. The overall performance of our schoolkids has been gradually declining in the world for some years now. We need all of our kids to have an equal opportunity at a good education, but we also must insure that our best and brightest can run up to their full potentials without any anchors in their way.

garciap77
05-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Exactly what I'm not wanting to see continued, Beast. The overall performance of our schoolkids has been gradually declining in the world for some years now. We need all of our kids to have an equal opportunity at a good education, but we also must insure that our best and brightest can run up to their full potentials without any anchors in their way.

I'm all for that too, so vouchers are for kids who are being anchored down in public schools?

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm all for that too, so vouchers are for kids who are being anchored down in public schools?

Nope--for any kid who can truly better their education at any school they can enter with a voucher and meet the ACADEMIC standards applied equally to all applicants. Those in remedial or low-performing schools need to be given the opportunity to better their education with a chance to step up to the next level of curriculum within that school, or any other, in which they can perform.

NastySlot
05-18-2011, 02:24 PM
in the old day I think they called it tracking system or something like that..........Honors, Regular and Basic classes..................it once worked.

Blastoderm55
05-18-2011, 02:29 PM
in the old day I think they called it tracking system or something like that..........Honors, Regular and Basic classes..................it once worked.

Yup, and now you have AP and even dual credit classes to allow the brightest to earn college credit concurrently. Some schools will even pay the cost of tuition and books for the dual credit students. I think there are still plenty of opportunities for good students in public schools. Unfortunately, those good students account for maybe 15-20% of those enrolled.

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 02:36 PM

I'm not an educator, Nasty--and to be honest, I don't know what worked or didn't work in the past---I only know that we have to get it right quickly in American education for all the kids---rich, poor, and all races.

I truly hope we don't run out of educators who are dedicated and tough enough to work and get through to the troubled kids enough to make them motivated to stay in school and want to take the next step in their educations. I also hope that our brightest kids will be allowed every opportunity to be instructed by the best educators who will challenge them to the limits of their abilities with their material and curriculums.

carter08
05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Don't all schools do that? Have 'honors' classes and 'regular' classes? And if not, why not? Doesn't that fix the issue? Students displaying more aptitude take classes where the work is harder and keeps education from having to be privatized? ]

BEAST
05-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Don't all schools do that? Have 'honors' classes and 'regular' classes? And if not, why not? Doesn't that fix the issue? Students displaying more aptitude take classes where the work is harder and keeps education from having to be privatized? ]

I think they do. But, to me, it goes back to the standardized testing. Thats where the problem lies. Students/Teachers spend so much time every year trying to make for certain as many as possible pass 1 test. It took teacher that were once very imaginitive in how they taught and turned them into robots.

BEAST

garciap77
05-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by carter08

It's not fair to compare private schools to public schools when public schools do not get to pick and choose who they want to educate.

LIONS#1
05-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I think they do. But, to me, it goes back to the standardized testing. Thats where the problem lies. Students/Teachers spend so much time every year trying to make for certain as many as possible pass 1 test. It took teacher that were once very imaginitive in how they taught and turned them into robots.

BEAST

+1

Matthew328
05-18-2011, 03:20 PM

BEAST

This is why I got out of education

raider red 2000
05-18-2011, 03:32 PM

so to save a few....we are going to fund public school less???

In public schools the best and brightest dont get penalized. I work in a small 2a school in south tx. we are considered a "rich school district" we pay into robin hood. We also have about 70% of our kids on free lunch. we have a handful of high school kids that have earned 30 college hours and it didnt cost them a dime.

Kids work get the education that they seek out.

Dont be fooled to think that our education system is horrible. I would be happy to send my kid to public school. I will be happy when he gets to start pre-K next year.

garciap77
05-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
so to save a few....we are going to fund public school less???

In public schools the best and brightest dont get penalized. I work in a small 2a school in south tx. we are considered a "rich school district" we pay into robin hood. We also have about 70% of our kids on free lunch. we have a handful of high school kids that have earned 30 college hours and it didnt cost them a dime.

Kids work get the education that they seek out.

Dont be fooled to think that our education system is horrible. I would be happy to send my kid to public school. I will be happy when he gets to start pre-K next year.

You are correct! Our education system is not horrible. I would love to see a private school take all the kids that are not doing well and see if they can do any better with them than the public schools.

BEAST
05-18-2011, 04:28 PM
You are correct! Our education system is not horrible. I would love to see a private school take all the kids that are not doing well and see if they can do any better with them than the public schools.

The difference is, if the kid did not adhere to the requirements of the private school, they'd simply boot them out. That goes back to a post I put on a different thread. The "no child left behind" thing is wrong. If a student refuses to learn, by that I mean being a smartass and disruptive in class etc, leave their butts behind. Dont hold back the rest of the class.

BEAST

garciap77
05-18-2011, 04:32 PM
The difference is, if the kid did not adhere to the requirements of the private school, they'd simply boot them out. That goes back to a post I put on a different thread. The "no child left behind" thing is wrong. If a student refuses to learn, by that I mean being a smartass and disruptive in class etc, leave their butts behind. Dont hold back the rest of the class.

BEAST

I agree with you! But, the public schools should be able to boot them out too!

bolshavik
05-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Public schools send those knuckle heads to AEP etc.. They also try to do the very least possible with the sp ed kids and such. Oh, they throw allot of fluff at it and have ards and walk around with folders and papers in their hands to appear busy but they generally just baby sit them all day and get them through. Publics wont do jack crap with a kid until the parents start making a fuss and talking lawsuits.

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 04:40 PM

I would agree that "horrible" is probably too harsh of a term to apply to our current education system, garcia, but I would use the term "mediocre". I read that in 2008 America had a high school graduation rate of 77%, which was lower than most developed countries.

Txbroadcaster
05-18-2011, 04:43 PM
I would agree that "horrible" is probably too harsh of a term to apply to our current education system, garcia, but I would use the term "mediocre". I read that in 2008 America had a high school graduation rate of 77%, which was lower than most developed countries.

that is a weighted stat..other developed countries seperate those who are not smart, wont work and put them into vocational training and that skews the numbers..basically our whole spectrum of children are being compared to the best of the best in other countries

cotulla
05-18-2011, 04:43 PM
rancher - again, prove to me how this education system is failed...

prove it.

i have yet to find out where the money for vouchers is coming from?

BEAST
05-18-2011, 04:44 PM

I agree 100%.

BEAST

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 04:48 PM
that is a weighted stat..other developed countries seperate those who are not smart, wont work and put them into vocational training and that skews the numbers..basically our whole spectrum of children are being compared to the best of the best in other countries

Perhaps, but our best also lag their best in math and science. And are you telling me that those other countries only let kids willing to work and learn occupy a seat in their secondary schools, and the rest are remanded to trade or vocational schools? Barbaric.

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 04:53 PM

I agree, also, garcia.

Ernest T Bass
05-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Perhaps, but our best also lag their best in math and science. And are you telling me that those other countries only let kids willing to work and learn occupy a seat in their secondary schools, and the rest are remanded to trade or vocational schools? Barbaric.

Actually, our best are either right with the others or have surpassed them. Our top 20% are on par or superior to everyone else's top 20%. It's the next 80% where you some disparity.

garciap77
05-18-2011, 07:07 PM

You think those countries are reporting the truth?

garciap77
05-18-2011, 07:17 PM

:iagree:

We had four foreign exchange students live with us a few years back. Not all at the same time, but in a two year period. They were from Korea, Germany, Holland, and Ecuador. They all told me they separate the smart students for the not so smart student and that's how it's determine which ones go to college and which ones won't.

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
You think those countries are reporting the truth?

I dunno, garcia---I think the educational yardstick may be like political polls---it depends on which one you select. The following was one of the few that addressed the performance of our top students vs. other countries:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/14/eveningnews/main6866663.shtml

LH Panther Mom
05-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Public schools send those knuckle heads to AEP etc.. They also try to do the very least possible with the sp ed kids and such. Oh, they throw allot of fluff at it and have ards and walk around with folders and papers in their hands to appear busy but they generally just baby sit them all day and get them through. Publics wont do jack crap with a kid until the parents start making a fuss and talking lawsuits.
Really? How many special ed kids have you taught? How would you like to have a kid that's high school age and wearing diapers? What would you do if you had a kid who's an idiot savant? How do you handle a kid that the mental capacity can't be tested? Oh, I guess you'd walk around with a bunch of folder & papers looking busy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GrTigers6
05-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Public schools send those knuckle heads to AEP etc.. They also try to do the very least possible with the sp ed kids and such. Oh, they throw allot of fluff at it and have ards and walk around with folders and papers in their hands to appear busy but they generally just baby sit them all day and get them through. Publics wont do jack crap with a kid until the parents start making a fuss and talking lawsuits. Have you ever been in a lifeskills, or special ed classroom? obviously not or you wouldnt be saying that about people who do what I could never do, and that is teach those that need extra attention, i dont have the patience for it. Yet you just put down those that do have the patients and teach these kids when nobody else will.
I dont understand you people that sit back and talk crap about our teachers and yet dont have a clue about what they are complaining about. Stop bad mouthing the people who keep this country going by educating our youth, and not for a paycheck but because thats what they want to do!

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow-men.
-Mohandas Gandhi

garciap77
05-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Have you ever been in a lifeskills, or special ed classroom? obviously not or you wouldnt be saying that about people who do what I could never do, and that is teach those that need extra attention, i dont have the patience for it. Yet you just put down those that do have the patients and teach these kids when nobody else will.
I dont understand you people that sit back and talk crap about our teachers and yet dont have a clue about what they are complaining about. Stop bad mouthing the people who keep this country going by educating our youth, and not for a paycheck but because thats what they want to do!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

BEAST
05-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Really? How many special ed kids have you taught? How would you like to have a kid that's high school age and wearing diapers? What would you do if you had a kid who's an idiot savant? How do you handle a kid that the mental capacity can't be tested? Oh, I guess you'd walk around with a bunch of folder & papers looking busy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sic em!

BEAST

BEAST
05-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow-men.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Ehh, Ghandi quotes are lost on me bro. I'm a take action guy. I know he stood for good, but socialism fails everywhere it's tried at a gov't level. Those things are best left to communities and churches etc.

BEAST

Bullaholic
05-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Ehh, Ghandi quotes are lost on me bro. I'm a take action guy. I know he stood for good, but socialism fails everywhere it's tried at a gov't level. Those things are best left to communities and churches etc.

BEAST

LOL...Please give me a list of Beast-approved quotations for future useage, beast. Thanks.