PDA

View Full Version : I got this question from my Daughter

Txbroadcaster
05-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I was talking to her about her research paper and helping her find some info and she said this to me

How did you do it before the internet?

She is 16 but her educational life basically began with the internet already in place and a big factor.

Amazing how far the internet has come and how we are so dependant on it even though it is still basically in its young years

Farmersfan
05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I was talking to her about her research paper and helping her find some info and she said this to me

She is 16 but her educational life basically began with the internet already in place and a big factor.

Amazing how far the internet has come and how we are so dependant on it even though it is still basically in its young years

I think the internet is a great tool and has advanced mankind quite a bit. But really how much has it helped the school kids? A few kids certainly do research on the net but from my experience most kids consider the internet a gaming option or for networking with friends.

NastySlot
05-17-2011, 12:43 PM
i've told my students and my own kids...I would of been an honor student with the internet.

Bullaholic
05-17-2011, 12:43 PM

It was called a library, "Cliff" Notes, fraternity "help" files and papers, black coffee, no-doz, and maybe a wee-bit of plagiarism now and then....:D

Emerson1
05-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Internet has cut down on plagiarism. Teachers can just load the word file into whatever service they use and it can search pretty much every literary work ever written. Which isn't a big deal if you know how to cite sources right.

Txbroadcaster
05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think the internet is a great tool and has advanced mankind quite a bit. But really how much has it helped the school kids? A few kids certainly do research on the net but from my experience most kids consider the internet a gaming option or for networking with friends.

I dont know a teen that does not use the internet for school work( good and bad)

Ernest T Bass
05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
I laugh at English teachers who force their kids to use a certain number of written sources for papers, in the name of making sure they know how to. My question is, when will they ever need to know how to? If anyone's ever in a situation where there is no internet available, Im sure a research paper is the last thing they'll be concerned with.

coach
05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I dont know a teen that does not use the internet for school work( good and bad)

if you have the internet why wouldn't you use it? thats like ppl complaining about transportation. hell would you rather walk to California or fly? The people that complain about modern technology sound so ignorant and stupid.

Bullaholic
05-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by coach
if you have the internet why wouldn't you use it? thats like ppl complaining about transportation. hell would you rather walk to California or fly? The people that complain about modern technology sound so ignorant and stupid.

Give em' a degree and they know everything.....:D

garciap77
05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

:eek:

coach
05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

lol i thought thats what having a degree meant...i might bea little harsh but seriously....i hate when ppl complain about kids texting and act like its a bad thing. yea it is when you abuse it, but that is the same with the internet, vehicles, drugs, alcohol, tv, and the list goes on forever.

Bullaholic
05-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
:eek:

Only one????? Backhanded congrats to coach again on his graduation.

MustangFootball
05-17-2011, 04:10 PM
can you say "card catalog" lmao:D