PDA

View Full Version : Why We Have Weak Presidential Candidates

Bullaholic
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Ever wonder why as time goes on that it seems like the presidential candidate field gets weaker and weaker? GOP candidates are dropping like "flies".

IMO, it is because none of the better potential candidates can pass the "litmus" test applied by the media and the public. A candidate faces having every potenially embarassing "skeleton" in their past lives dug up by the media and hired attack dogs, and put on display for all to see. Perhaps this is a good thing for our country to harshly "vet" all potential candidates, but I think we get to the point where we must ask ourselves if the country might be the greatest loser because a really strong former CEO, or equivalent, will not run because someone will find out about some former one-nighter he had with a college cheerleader 20 years ago of which even his family is not aware.

I want another Abe Lincoln or George Washington, but in this day and age it seems almost impossible. I hope we can elect a President who is truly unafraid personally and politically, and wise enough to lead America through the difficult times ahead because he has a genuine love for this country.

Standard disclaimer: If for any reason this thread strays from the central question and becomes a political bashing contest---we all know what will happen rather quickly.

garciap77
05-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Ever wonder why as time goes on that it seems like the presidential candidate field gets weaker and weaker? GOP candidates are dropping like "flies".

IMO, it is because none of the better potential candidates can pass the "litmus" test applied by the media and the public. A candidate faces having every potenially embarassing "skeleton" in their past lives dug up by the media and hired attack dogs, and put on display for all to see. Perhaps this is a good thing for our country to harshly "vet" all potential candidates, but I think we get to the point where we must ask ourselves if the country might be the greatest loser because a really strong former CEO, or equivalent, will not run because someone will find out about some former one-nighter he had with a college cheerleader 20 years ago of which even his family is not aware.

I want another Abe Lincoln or George Washington, but in this day and age it seems almost impossible. I hope we can elect a President who is truly unafraid personally and politically, and wise enough to lead America through the difficult times ahead because he has a genuine love for this country.

Standard disclaimer: If for any reason this thread strays from the central question and becomes a political bashing contest---we all know what will happen rather quickly.

IMO, I think it's harder for GOP candidates, because they are supposed to have good morals values.

Bullaholic
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
IMO, I think it's harder for GOP candidates, because they are supposed to have good morals values.

I would like to see any potentially successful candidate have a strong "moral" compass, garcia, without being unrealistic in that expectation by anyone's moral standards.

Whatever happened to America's "good" men, and again, I mean a man who has that title applied to him by almost all Americans when referencing him/her?

Farmersfan
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
And I don't think there is a shortage of candidates that pass the test so much as "The Test" is now a heck of a lot more intensive. I can guarantee honest Abe had just as many skeletons in his closet as any other candidate today but in his day there wasn't the all encompassing media that we have today. Nothing can be hid these days. Unless society lowers their expectations for the President I don't see this trend changing.

Bullaholic
05-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
And I don't think there is a shortage of candidates that pass the test so much as "The Test" is now a heck of a lot more intensive. I can guarantee honest Abe had just as many skeletons in his closet as any other candidate today but in his day there wasn't the all encompassing media that we have today. Nothing can be hid these days. Unless society lowers their expectations for the President I don't see this trend changing.

I am convinced that Abe Lincoln had a deep and abiding love for America, and that was the primary motivation for his actions. I believe the good of the country was foremost in Lincoln's mind in nearly everything he did.

Farmersfan
05-17-2011, 12:17 PM
I would like to see any potentially successful candidate have a strong "moral" compass, garcia, without being unrealistic in that expectation by anyone's moral standards.

Whatever happened to America's "good" men, and again, I mean a man who has that title applied to him by almost all Americans when referencing him/her?

Those "Good Men" didn't have today's media and technology uncovering their skeletons. Or, if you are claiming they didn't have any skeletons then I can't agree with it. I don't think people overall are any better or worst today than they were in the past. But these days when they fart the entire world will know about it.

RoyceTTU
05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes many politicians are too clean. I wouldn't mind seeing someone that has had their lumps and has overcome. Just because you've had problems in the past is of little indication of what your capable of.

I think many americans could relate to someone like that. The idea of "The Swing Vote" movie but definitely not to that extreme.

Farmersfan
05-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I am convinced that Abe Lincoln had a deep and abiding love for America, and that was the primary motivation for his actions. I believe the good of the country was foremost in Lincoln's mind in nearly everything he did.

that could be true. But you also don't know about his illegitimate children, his extra-marital affairs and his demon worshiping rituals every saturday night.......... just sayin'

bolshavik
05-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Good morals... PPFFFTTT.

Kenedy would have 0 chance today

Lincoln wouldn't have a chance because of his crazy Ace wife.

Jefferson would have 0 chance because of his affinity for black women

We could go on and on

garciap77
05-17-2011, 12:38 PM

I don't think the problem is the candidate. I believe the problem is the lobbyist, corporations, and special interest groups. I truly believe they run this country, and until we put a stop to it, it will be business as usual.:(

rancher
05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
No one mentions that the country is headed into abyss of economic disaster. Unless you have a big ego, you are crazy for wanting the nomination. When the big bubble burst, what ever party is in power will remain on the sidelines for 50 years or more. Remember like Bill Clinton said, "Its the economy stupid".

Bullaholic
05-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
I don't think the problem is the candidate. I believe the problem is the lobbyist, corporations, and special interest groups. I truly believe they run this country, and until we put a stop to it, it will be business as usual.:(

Yep, big money, foreign and domestic. We need a candidate who will say "no" to anything that does not serve America's best interests and can, and will, walk that talk.

Old Tiger
05-17-2011, 01:49 PM
4). No political/religious topics. (2 points)

Political topics involving American political parties and their current candidates for office (or those already elected and/or currently serving) and religious topics are forbidden. Both of these generally invoke problems and sometimes cause hard feelings.

coach
05-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger

Political topics involving American political parties and their current candidates for office (or those already elected and/or currently serving) and religious topics are forbidden. Both of these generally invoke problems and sometimes cause hard feelings.

beat me to it...

Bullaholic
05-17-2011, 02:45 PM

OT---go play with some of the other people being held for observation....:D

PPHSfan
05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
If there had been T'MZ, the Internet, and MSNBC back in the day, I'm sure Washington and Lincoln would have the same problems.

Bullaholic
05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
If there had been T'MZ, the Internet, and MSNBC back in the day, I'm sure Washington and Lincoln would have the same problems.

Probably, but my sense is that they would have put America first to the exclusion of everything else in their decision making.

Eagle 1
05-17-2011, 05:48 PM

I think this matter's very little now days.

Case in point.

http://westcoastsuccess.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/obama-smoking.jpg

garciap77
05-17-2011, 06:29 PM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/ass.gif

:D

;)

PPHSfan
05-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Probably, but my sense is that they would have put America first to the exclusion of everything else in their decision making.

Or at least what was left of the Union, huh?