PDA

View Full Version : What kind of computer should I buy??

Ranger Mom
12-18-2003, 04:21 PM
I have just about talked myself into just getting a whole new computer.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, just want to get a good one.

What are the minimum specs I should get??

hard drive, Megahertz, etc.???

sinton66
12-18-2003, 04:25 PM
DELL, definitely. Talk with them, they can help with the rest.

3afan
12-18-2003, 04:25 PM
i got my daughter a Sony VAIO from Best Buy - Pentium III, 3.5 GHZ, 256 RAM, 80GB HD, CD R/W, DVD, 17" flat screen, Norton, - about $1100 - its FAST with the cable modem ....... she just got home from school so i got a firewall/router and got her online

Gobbla2001
12-18-2003, 04:28 PM
I'm a Dell fan...

Whatever you do, avoid HP...

Ranger Mom
12-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Dell is what I have here at work!

My best friend bought one a couple of months ago, and for some reason - that thing is SLOW!!!! It takes forever just to open a folder off the desktop.

3afan
12-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Ranger Mom:
Dell is what I have here at work!

My best friend bought one a couple of months ago, and for some reason - that thing is SLOW!!!! It takes forever just to open a folder off the desktop.if your computer has "slowed down" its probably full of ad and watch cookies ... there is a free download called Ad-Aware that gets rid of those - i had over 500 !!!!!!!!!!! my computer used to take 5 minutes to boot cause of all that crap, now it takes a minute ... i think KAZAA was the culprit, its like opening up the front door to your computer ... also you can get a hardware firewall - i have one

<small>[ December 18, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

Ranger Mom
12-18-2003, 04:34 PM
I helped her set the computer up when it came in (maybe that's the problem! :p ) - it has been slow since day 1.

She only paid $459 for her computer and everything on hers is WAY higher than anything I have on mine.

Before mine was "re-done" it was an HP - now I don't know what it is, it's all in a different case with a different hard drive than what I originally bought - I guess it's just a "mutt" now!

3afan
12-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Ranger Mom:
I helped her set the computer up when it came in (maybe that's the problem! :p ) - it has been slow since day 1.

She only paid $459 for her computer and everything on hers is WAY higher than anything I have on mine.

Before mine was "re-done" it was an HP - now I don't know what it is, it's all in a different case with a different hard drive than what I originally bought - I guess it's just a "mutt" now!a "mutt" - good one

marlin fan
12-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Hey im getting a dell laptop for Xmas iv been talking to people and they say dell computers are fast.this thing with me and my mom sharing a computer is not working out so she is getting me my own for xmas. :D on 6 more days cant wait!!!!!

Ranger Mom
12-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Do the stores sell Dell, or do you have to order/buy sraight from Dell?

PPHSfan
12-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Mom, always remember this, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If you bottleneck a fast processor with a slow hard drive you have defeated the purpose.

Here is what you should look for.

Pentium 4 at least 2.5 ghz

120 gig hard drive that runs at 7200rpm (do not skimp here)

At least 512 megs of ram, a full gig would be better.

A top of the line video and sound card.

Something that will allow you to open it without voiding a warranty.

Several usb ports, a firewire port, and ethernet ports are a neccessity.

Plus, a nice flat screen monitor at least 17" of viewable space.

Sony makes a nice Viao package right now that has all of this for about a grand, including tax at most of the super-stores.

<small>[ December 18, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

Wildcat81
12-18-2003, 05:05 PM
PPHSfan:
Mom, always remember this, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If you bottleneck a fast processor with a slow hard drive you have defeated the purpose.

Sony makes a nice Viao package right now that has all of this for about a grand, including tax at most of the super-stores.I would have to agree with PPHSfan.

Rabbit'93
12-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Rangermom I could build you one. I'm just learning to do all this but it's going pretty well. I just helped my friend put one together its mainly for playing games but here's the specs:
Pentium 4 Processor
512 DDR memory
80 Gig hard drive (partitioned)
Sony CD ROM Drive
Sony CD/R-W
Radeon Video Card
Creative Live Platinum Edition Sound card

Its pretty sweet, and it's in a case that lights up when you turn it on. :D

Ranger Mom
12-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Rabbit'93:
Rangermom I could build you one. I'm just learning to do all this but it's going pretty well. I just helped my friend put one together its mainly for playing games but here's the specs:
Pentium 4 Processor
512 DDR memory
80 Gig hard drive (partitioned)
Sony CD ROM Drive
Sony CD/R-W
Radeon Video Card
Creative Live Platinum Edition Sound card

Its pretty sweet, and it's in a case that lights up when you turn it on. :D But I want it - RIGHT NOW!!!

I have no patience with this kind of thing. My main concern is getting this new printer hooked up - that's what started all this mess anyway. I am supposed to be printing out some stuff for my Grandmother's 90th b-day party on Christmas Day. The only thing I care about right now is getting the printer loaded. I just don't know what kind of CDrom drive to buy because of the specs it is saying that I MUST have. That started my question about the processor speed!

marlin fan
12-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Ranger Mom:
Do the stores sell Dell, or do you have to order/buy sraight from Dell?well there are dell stores that only sell dells. you can call dell or order online.

PPHSfan
12-18-2003, 05:47 PM
Or you can run up to the Midland Wally World and buy the Viao, with everything you need in one box. I personally hate shopping at Wal-Fart, but they do have what you need. :D

poncho
12-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Gobbla2001:
I'm a Dell fan...

Whatever you do, avoid HP...I agree. I have two computers a Dell and a HP. The HP gives me the most trouble. :cool: :D

jason
12-18-2003, 06:11 PM
well..having worked in the inventory part of an electronics store (Circuit City) Sony Vaio's tend to be the most popular...we had more HP's returned than anything and they also sold the least amount...hardly any Sony's ever came back, and when they did, it was problems with the Pixels in Flat Panels...

Id go with a Sony

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
12-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Dell then I'll go 4 Sony, but one or the other, not no other one. Here at my school it's all dell, from the Provost office to the computer lab, to the liabary. And in the Interactive rooms its Sony, and dell.
So my advice is go with Dell or Sony

olddawggreen
12-18-2003, 06:59 PM
I have a Dell lap top and a Dell Desk top and have been very happy with them. You can order on the phone or onlive and the service is fantastic, they will even finance it for you if you want. I had a little trouble with my start button on my lap top and I called in to find a service location. The next morning UPS brought me a custom package for my computer, I put it in and off they went. They had it back to me the 2nd day after I sent it. I was only with out it for one full work day. I am very happy with Dell!

SintonFan
12-18-2003, 09:43 PM
PPHSfan:

Sony makes a nice Viao package right now that has all of this for about a grand, including tax at most of the super-stores..
Actually what affects a fast processor most is the onboard bus speed. wink But those have really sped up the last few years. So that shouldn't be an issue. Lots of DDR RAM helps for sure.
Dell is good and so are the Sonys. Get the Dell cuz their HQ is here in Texas and not in Japan. eek!

<small>[ December 18, 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: SintonFan ]</small>

3afan2K3
12-18-2003, 09:49 PM
Don't get a flat screen

K-TOWN
12-18-2003, 11:02 PM
y not ?? i have recently bought one... and ive been very happy with it.

<small>[ December 18, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: K-TOWN ]</small>

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-19-2003, 10:18 PM
I would go with a Dell, I've had mine for two years. It is fast and reliable. They have no problems and a great warranty, and if I were to buy another computer, I would buy nothing but a Dell.

Bell_06
12-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Dell has an excellent tech support system. They also honor their warranties and extended warranties without hesitation. We currently have 2 Dell pcs and one Dell laptop. Never a lick of problems that the support couldn't handle. But I am curious, why did someone not care for the flat screen monitors (I've been wanting one)

callandraise
12-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Be sure its bigger in the middle than bottom at the top!