PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a job

orange machine
05-15-2011, 02:04 PM
I got laid off on Monday and I'm looking for a job. It doesn't have to be in law enforcement I would settle for an 8-5 job but if a cop job came open I will certainly look at it. North Tx area is where I'm looking but for the right situation I would consider moving off.

eagles_victory
05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Sell your truck I bet you could live off that money alone for at least 10 years.

Eagle 1
05-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
I got laid off on Monday and I'm looking for a job. It doesn't have to be in law enforcement I would settle for an 8-5 job but if a cop job came open I will certainly look at it. North Tx area is where I'm looking but for the right situation I would consider moving off.

I'm sorry you lost your job.
Just remember this next time you go to the voting polls. ;)

orange machine
05-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Sell your truck I bet you could live off that money alone for at least 10 years.
That would be funny any other time but not right now.

bobcat1
05-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Good Luck OM! Job market is tough right now!

Blastoderm55
05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Border patrol in South Texas is hiring and paying well from what I hear. Best of luck with your search.

BwdLion73
05-15-2011, 06:01 PM

I don't want to pry...but what happen?

TexMike
05-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I assume you are already using indeed.com and monster.com There are police jobs all over the state in local departments, sheriff's departments, ISD's and colleges. The TCLEOSE certification is huge as it lets you go on the job right away without going through an academy in many places.

There are also local, state and federal corrections jobs open all over the place.

You can look at Border Patrol and CBP jobs at usajobs.gov I don't think Border Patrol is hiring right now but CBP still is.

Ernest T Bass
05-15-2011, 07:53 PM
I know you don't want this, but Dallas County is hiring jailers. Im sure it's less pay than what you're used to, but it's a good way to keep the pay checks coming and give you a chance be around law enforcement officials and maybe build some contacts.
If you have your degree, they're always looking for federal correctional officers. That's a pretty good gig.

orange machine
05-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
I don't want to pry...but what happen?
I was told budget cuts. I worked in a small dept. and was the SGT. my salary was quite a bit higher than the officers except the chief so they cut me. Good news is I'm getting unemployment but it sucks cause I spent the past 8 years there and last month was my 8th year there and what do I get the ax.

Ernest T Bass
05-15-2011, 11:42 PM
I also heard that the Highway Patrol is hiring.
If you have any military experience, Xe Services(former Blackwater Worldwide) is hiring as well. If you have special ops experience, they pay very well.

orange machine
05-16-2011, 12:35 AM
I really don't know what I want to do with my career. I've been an officer for 9 years and I'm sick of the politics involved with it. It's crazy I'm not stressed about getting shot, I'm not stressed about getting my butt kicked on the side off the road the thing that stresses me out is the dang administration especially the micro managing kind. So I don't know what I want to do.

Roughneck93
05-16-2011, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I also heard that the Highway Patrol is hiring.
If you have any military experience, Xe Services(former Blackwater Worldwide) is hiring as well. If you have special ops experience, they pay very well.

You are correct. Highway Patrol is hiring. One of my buddies went and applied, took the tests and was accepted. He has no law enforcement experience whatsoever. Now he is just waiting for the new class to start up (think he said they need 50 in order to start one). They even assigned him to his home post already when he completes his training. Hope this helps and good luck.

PPHSfan
05-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Maybe you should be a truck driver.
Less administration to deal with.
Twice the money.

And you already have experience driving that monster in your driveway.

garciap77
05-16-2011, 06:58 AM

I was in Lubbock this weekend for a Tech graduation and I saw several signs advertising jobs by the Lubbock police department.

Farmersfan
05-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
I was in Lubbock this weekend for a Tech graduation and I saw several signs advertising jobs by the Lubbock police department.

I was in Lubbock also this weekend for the same thing!

garciap77
05-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I was in Lubbock also this weekend for the same thing!

Which one did you attend? (Morning or afternoon?) We attended the 1:30pm ceremony, then we had to head back for a graduation dinner and party for one of my daughter’s friends who from graduated McMurry University. It was a long day to say the least.

Antec
05-16-2011, 11:37 AM
I've been looking for a job for 14 weeks ago since losing my position at the Bay City Tribune

Hard to find any newspaper jobs as a sport editor-Most semi weekly and weekly newspapers don't hire full time persons

Was in the newspaper business for almost 27 years

I can't even find a job at Walmart or Buc-ees in the Wharton area or any kind of position

My wife got laid off from the Fort Bend ISD in Stafford last week and will work until June 30

Times are tough everywhere.

May have to live on unemployment and disability rest of our lives

BwdLion73
05-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I was told budget cuts. I worked in a small dept. and was the SGT. my salary was quite a bit higher than the officers except the chief so they cut me. Good news is I'm getting unemployment but it sucks cause I spent the past 8 years there and last month was my 8th year there and what do I get the ax.

Thats what I was wondering. Budget should have been approved in October to run till Sept.

:thinking: Good Luck on your search.

orange machine
05-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Thats what I was wondering. Budget should have been approved in October to run till Sept.

:thinking: Good Luck on your search.

The problem is the cities set an amount of revenue they think you will bring in as a dept. If your behind they let you know about it and they have been griping for 2 months about it. With gas prices so high people arnt driving as much which means you can't write as many tickets which means revenue goes down which means someone loses there job and I got to be the lucky one. Why because I made the most money and they are saving alot of money by cutting me. Got to love politics.

sandbagger
05-16-2011, 07:37 PM
I got laid off on Monday and I'm looking for a job. It doesn't have to be in law enforcement I would settle for an 8-5 job but if a cop job came open I will certainly look at it. North Tx area is where I'm looking but for the right situation I would consider moving off. I heard celina ISD will be looking for someone to find and air up basketballs in Nov.

Ranger Mom
05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
I think Midland is hiring in every single sector. Law enforcement, oilfield, Wal-Mart, etc.

I see help wanted signs almost every place I go.

We are booming here right now.

Bullaholic
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by sandbagger
I heard celina ISD will be looking for someone to find and air up basketballs in Nov.

Sure you're on the right thread?

turbostud
05-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Flower Mound is hiring for coppers.

Also look into getting hired at a VA hospital. The pay isnt as high as a Police Officer but you work Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm with all red letter holidays off. I know there is a VA hospital in Bonham. I applied in Harligen but they were looking for people who had a TECLEOSE liscence.

Try National Park Service, Texas Parks and Wildlife etc.

usajobs.gov is a good website.

Eagle 1
05-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by sandbagger
I heard celina ISD will be looking for someone to find and air up basketballs in Nov.

:D

PPHSfan
05-17-2011, 05:57 AM
The problem is the cities set an amount of revenue they think you will bring in as a dept. If your behind they let you know about it and they have been griping for 2 months about it. With gas prices so high people arnt driving as much which means you can't write as many tickets which means revenue goes down which means someone loses there job and I got to be the lucky one. Why because I made the most money and they are saving alot of money by cutting me. Got to love politics.

I don't buy the can't write enough tickets argument. I've seen the way people in Texas drive. Give me a badge and a ticket book and I can write tickets non-stop for as long as I can stay awake.

Gsquared
05-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I don't buy the can't write enough tickets argument. I've seen the way people in Texas drive. Give me a badge and a ticket book and I can write tickets non-stop for as long as I can stay awake.
You a Plano cop?

garciap77
05-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

And when will you have time to eat your donuts?;)